Discussions on AYP Deep Meditation and Samyama
 Strange Resistance to Meditation
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

enlightenmealready

USA
37 Posts

Posted - Dec 12 2007 :  12:04:11 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Message
I've read most of Yogani's books. Found them very helpful and enjoyed the methods he describes. I was reading the board today and realized that more than a month has slipped by since I've meditated. Thinking about it, I'm encountering the same resistance to meditation that I have for exercise. I know both are good for me. I enjoy the activities while I do them. I feel better after both meditation and exercise.

Is this just sloth? There is no good reason for not engaging in either of these activities. I could use the well worn excuses like "There are only so many hours in a day" blah blah blah.

The truth is I have plenty of time. Why does the mind come up with obstacles for practices that are obviously enjoyable and beneficial?

anthony574

USA
549 Posts

Posted - Dec 12 2007 :  12:37:59 PM  Show Profile  Visit anthony574's Homepage  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
It is as if there is a doubter and rebel implanted in nearly everyone when it comes to any sort of beneficial practice. Exercise of course provokes resistance because who wants to sweat and pant and see little to no result except for months later?

When it comes to meditation - literally just sitting down and repeating two words for twenty minutes - there seems to be a huge resistence. It may be beyond my level to say, but I think it is the ego resisting the change. To even skeptically believe that this practice will bring on profound changes in perception and understanding of reality is pretty scary to one's ego that is formed of attachments to the way things are seen at the present time. I honestly don't believe it is so much boredom or impatience that interferes because come on, how hard is it to sit still and repeat something for 20 minutes for enlightenment! (Not to mention stress reduction!) There seems to be something deeper going on. I do not like to demonize the ego and say it is an enemy of yoga because I dont think that is a healthy or reasonable viewpoint. I think it is safe to say however that the ego, especially of a novice, seems to like the law of inertia and seems to resist change - especially change in something very existential and profound. It is as if it knows, whether "you" do or not, that this change is coming on and resists it. And then if that doesn't seem to be the case you get frusrated at your apparent "lack of progress" and start doubting away. I think Yogani would say this is laregely "under the hood" and theorizing and analyzing aside, all the instrospection in the world won't make a difference unless you will yourself to sit. There are many people on this board who probably drag themselves kicking and screaming to sadhana but often, for me 3/5 times, I end up being very glad that I made myself.

Another obsacle is expectation. I know it is Yoda-esque to say, but it is one of those "Expect nothing to happen without trying to expect nothing to happen" deals. Sometimes it is helpful to not think so much about why you are meditating (ie purification, enlightenment) and just look at it in more down-to-earth terms like that you are allowing your nervous system to really relax for twenty minutes or whatever and allow the spiritual advantages to just pile up without you counting them.

It really takes will. It is amazing how much willpower it takes sometimes to just make yourself sit and do nothing for 20 minutes!

It also helps me to kind of view the resistence, especially DURING the practice, objectively. Kind of view it 3-rd person and think "hmmm, there seems to be a lot of resistence to this. Why I wonder?...I am...I am..."
Go to Top of Page

sadhak

India
604 Posts

Posted - Dec 12 2007 :  8:32:36 PM  Show Profile  Visit sadhak's Homepage  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
Hi Enlightenmealready,
To add to Anthony's suggestions, I'd say, don't look at it as 20 minutes. Begin with just 2-3 minutes. There! That doesn't seem much, does it? Do it in bed, first thing you wake up. Once you've gotten into the habit, you can add on at your pace. Believe me, once you get 'addicted' it is difficult to stop too. Then you'll be complaining here if you miss a day.

Also one of the things you may want to work on is 'desire' for yoga in your life for whatever reasons you have. Issue a clear, positive command to yourself (the subconscious mind takes over) before sleep at night everyday till you are well established in your practices. This will help your desire and will.

All the best and do let us know how it goes.
Go to Top of Page

thimus

53 Posts

Posted - Dec 21 2007 :  05:06:28 AM  Show Profile  Visit thimus's Homepage  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
In your post there is already all you need to understand : “why does the mind come up ...”
That is exactly the only point for meditation to exist : finally to get rid of the mind.
There is no need to meditate, but, I love to sit and (try to) meditate since by the pranayama meditation technique of Aleister Crowley I had the most incredible experience that is possible. That experience was 25 years ago.
Sri Aurobindo and Eckhart Tolle both say that there is no need to meditate.If you really dont like to meditate, my advise is to listen to or read Eckhart Tolle.
Go to Top of Page

Nirodha

New Zealand
86 Posts

Posted - Dec 23 2007 :  08:34:40 AM  Show Profile  Visit Nirodha's Homepage  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
quote:
Originally posted by enlightenmealready

Is this just sloth? There is no good reason for not engaging in either of these activities. I could use the well worn excuses like "There are only so many hours in a day" blah blah blah.

The truth is I have plenty of time. Why does the mind come up with obstacles for practices that are obviously enjoyable and beneficial?

Well, of course, one's mind throws up all sorts of excuses as to why one shouldn't meditate. In most of the Indian practice regimens I've read about they refer to these excuses as 'hindrances'. And, the recommended way to overcome these hindrances is to recognize them and then focus on their opposite.

I'd suggest reading the following Buddhist Sutta that deals specifically with this subject, even if one isn't a Buddhist:

Ahara Sutta - Food (For the Factors of Awakening)
http://www.accesstoinsight.org/tipi...51.than.html

Also, if you tell us exactly what you do when you meditate, this may shed some light on the subject. And, perhaps, we can recommend some subtle adjustments to your technique that may make meditation a more pleasurable experience for you. Because, if you're not enjoying meditation then you definitely wont want to do it.

I'm going to respectfully disagree with the suggestions of Sri Aurobindo and Eckhart Tolle, that there's no need to meditate - I suspect these are misquotes, or simply taken out of context, as both men wrote extensively on the subject. If that were truly the case then every being on this planet would already be Liberated. And you and I know full well that they are not.

Edited by - Nirodha on Dec 23 2007 08:42:21 AM
Go to Top of Page

jillatay

USA
206 Posts

Posted - Dec 30 2007 :  12:29:05 AM  Show Profile  Visit jillatay's Homepage  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
I would like to make a comment about resistance. I have discovered that it is something to look forward to in meditation. It means something really good is coming right around the corner. The resistance is a signpost to get ready and alert for the opening. The important thing is to be meditating when the resistance comes. This might look like the desire to get up, cough, move some part of the body, scratch an itch, etc. Anything like that especially when the urge gets close to overwhelming. Then just focus awareness on the object of meditation, let yourself anticipate each new possibility and see what happens. Also to overcome the most uncomfortable urges, it helps to flood the sensation with awareness, kindness and acceptance until it passes, and it will.

If you find yourself resistant to sitting down at all, treat it the same way, that is the time to sit right down asap.

Best wishes,
Jill
Go to Top of Page

Jim and His Karma

2111 Posts

Posted - Dec 30 2007 :  11:14:02 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
I know the feeling. Believe me. Worst of all is the feeling of lack of self-discipline...the sort of undefinable and lingering sense of pressure and guilt.

The solution is, I believe, asana. Asana practice will refine and adjust your energy and your resolve so that you're better able to undertake a commitment to meditation. And unlike "exercise", it's a lot gentler and more mold-able to your mood and schedule. If I were you, I'd find a way to take a couple classes per week (find ones you LIKE...that's critical) and do whatever you're moved to do at home whenever possible. The classes may cost $$$, unless you're creative in figuring out how to get your fix. But it's money well spent.

This is a very short posting, but is based on very long experience! :)

Also, please see my postings on depression...especially the trick with the yoga block (does anyone have that URL handy?).

Edited by - Jim and His Karma on Dec 30 2007 11:15:21 AM
Go to Top of Page

Shanti

USA
4854 Posts

Posted - Dec 30 2007 :  12:23:38 PM  Show Profile  Visit Shanti's Homepage  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
quote:
Originally posted by Jim and His Karma

Also, please see my postings on depression...especially the trick with the yoga block (does anyone have that URL handy?).

Original posting:
http://www.aypsite.org/forum/topic....hpage=2#3880
Some additional discussions:
http://www.aypsite.org/forum/topic....ID=1016#5637

Please be very careful with this technique... back bends may lead to very strong purification... Self Pacing is our friend.
Go to Top of Page

Jim and His Karma

2111 Posts

Posted - Dec 30 2007 :  2:00:35 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
Thanks, shanti. And thanks for the caution, too. BTW, the classical symptom of overdoing in backbends is giddy-ness. Every yoga teacher's seen this in a few students....some are much more susceptible to backbend overdoing than others. It's key to watch for going over the line from "exhilarated" to "giddy".

Of course if you're feeling lazy and/or depressed, either is a welcome counterpoint

Edited by - Jim and His Karma on Dec 30 2007 2:02:45 PM
Go to Top of Page

paddymac

Australia
2 Posts

Posted - Apr 30 2008 :  07:54:11 AM  Show Profile  Visit paddymac's Homepage  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
I know this is an old post but this is exactly where I find myself. On the one hand, the thing I want most in the world is to do this. On the other hand, my resistance is huge. I have managed to meditate for about a month. Then slide away. I am pretty sure it is the ego resisting. It is as if, when I get closer to something that will do me good, it finds lots of reasons for not doing it. I sometimes find myself wanting a coffee instead of meditation. At least I bring my full awareness to the moment. I ask myself, what do I want: coffee or god? I have to admit that the answer is coffee! At least I give myself a chuckle over it. I am past feeling guilty about this stuff. I just look at it as where I am and try to figure out my next step. I have had to go way back to the desire thing being key. Now, the thing is how to build that up. Lots of good ideas here, thanks. I just realise I have to get clever about working around the tricks of the ego. And yes, I know there is no ego...and yes there is an ego...!
Go to Top of Page

Shanti

USA
4854 Posts

Posted - Apr 30 2008 :  08:44:17 AM  Show Profile  Visit Shanti's Homepage  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
Welcome paddymac

Making meditation something you do like brushing your teeth and not something "special" will help you through the periods where you feel like there is resistance to it. You don't think twice about brushing your teeth do you? Nor do you feel resistance to brushing your teeth each morning.. you just do it.. without thinking it will make your teeth clean, and mouth fresh and less chances of cavities etc. When the mind is involved (thinking, analyzing, questioning), you face resistance, when you do something mindlessly.. there is no resistance. Similarly, if you do your meditation without thinking of the benefits, it will become a part of your life. Then when you are going through a phase of high bhakti, you can read spiritual books, websites and listen to inspiring talks or music or mantras, or anything else that will add that extra boost to your practice. When you go through a phase of resistance, you back off and just keep up the basic practice. So the basic practice becomes a part of your life you don't give much thought to.

In this post Yogani says:
Just remember that practices are not all or nothing. Honoring the habit is the first step. That takes a few minutes twice per day. We all have to eat. We all have to sleep. We all have to brush our teeth. And we all have to evolve... There is time enough in the day for all of these. Some guerrilla yoga tactics can help when we are living in the corporate jungle. See http://www.aypsite.org/209.html

Wish you all the best in your chosen path.
Go to Top of Page

Steve

277 Posts

Posted - Apr 30 2008 :  10:33:42 AM  Show Profile  Visit Steve's Homepage  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
Hi Paddymac,

We are creatures of habit. It is common for many in the beginning to have some resistance.

One way to begin when this occurs is to take advantage of our habitual nature and start simply. Meditate twice a day for just a couple of minutes at a time. There won't be much resistance to that because its only a couple of minutes. Be regular with it. After a few weeks, a new habit will begin to set in to support your meditation practice. Then it will be easier to regularly do your sessions twice a day. You will also begin to enjoy the benefits of your twice daily meditation periods. Then in a very natural easy manner you can lengthen your meditation periods over time following the suggestions given in the lessons for the amount of time.

Remember, be easy with yourself and ENJOY.

Love and Light,
Steve

Edited by - Steve on Apr 30 2008 12:19:57 PM
Go to Top of Page

yogibear

409 Posts

Posted - Apr 30 2008 :  12:28:40 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
Hi paddymac,

Welcome to the forum.

quote:
I ask myself, what do I want: coffee or god?

Why not both? Have your coffee and then meditate for 5 minutes. Just keep working to establish the habit.

Best, yb.

Go to Top of Page

paddymac

Australia
2 Posts

Posted - Apr 30 2008 :  10:11:35 PM  Show Profile  Visit paddymac's Homepage  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
Thanks Shanti, Steve and Yogibear, for your helpful comments. All helpful comments and ideas.
It looks like I have to keep peeling back until I can do the smallest amount regularly, every day. I have been meditating for many years but rarely manage to do more than six or seven days on the trot. The challenge now is to get that regular twice a day thing going even for a few minutes. Frank
Go to Top of Page

AYPforum

351 Posts

Posted - May 18 2008 :  11:18:04 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
Moderator note: Topic moved for better placement
Go to Top of Page

Will Power

Spain
415 Posts

Posted - Dec 23 2014 :  6:28:46 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
Thanks Nirodha, I found that Sutta very useful

quote:
Originally posted by Nirodha

quote:
Originally posted by enlightenmealready

Well, of course, one's mind throws up all sorts of excuses as to why one shouldn't meditate. In most of the Indian practice regimens I've read about they refer to these excuses as 'hindrances'. And, the recommended way to overcome these hindrances is to recognize them and then focus on their opposite.

I'd suggest reading the following Buddhist Sutta that deals specifically with this subject, even if one isn't a Buddhist:

Ahara Sutta - Food (For the Factors of Awakening)
http://www.accesstoinsight.org/tipi...51.than.html

Also, if you tell us exactly what you do when you meditate, this may shed some light on the subject. And, perhaps, we can recommend some subtle adjustments to your technique that may make meditation a more pleasurable experience for you. Because, if you're not enjoying meditation then you definitely wont want to do it.

I'm going to respectfully disagree with the suggestions of Sri Aurobindo and Eckhart Tolle, that there's no need to meditate - I suspect these are misquotes, or simply taken out of context, as both men wrote extensively on the subject. If that were truly the case then every being on this planet would already be Liberated. And you and I know full well that they are not.

Go to Top of Page

adishivayogi

USA
197 Posts

Posted - Dec 24 2014 :  8:08:32 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
mind scoffs at the idea that this could be pleasureable. for possibility two reasons(im shooting this from the hip)
1. meditations/pranyama kills mind
2. mind always seeks more. how can it find itself content doing nothing
Go to Top of Page

colours

Sweden
108 Posts

Posted - Jan 02 2015 :  8:09:23 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
Hi

I have a habit of getting really excited and do yoga for some time, then start to think I should stop, and stop. And over again.
I think the reason is fear, laziness, having too much going on at the same time, and similar.
Fear because I have had some time of mental illness.

Maybe not "all or nothing"? A few minutes at a time, or maybe do yoga only on weekends?

/colours
Go to Top of Page

Will Power

Spain
415 Posts

Posted - Jan 03 2015 :  11:22:20 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
Just ask silently to your mind. What does your intuition tell you? Follow that
Go to Top of Page

Morning

United Kingdom
10 Posts

Posted - Jan 09 2015 :  06:25:39 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
I'm very new here, and don't have experience with that many kinds of meditation, so my input may not be that valuable, so feel free to disregard:

I also found meditations based on mantras difficult to stick to. I was brought up with them in the 70s, but they never really took with me. However, even as a child, I naturally took to meditation on an object (as in deliberately staring at an object until its "thingness" and my separateness from it dissolved). No one taught me to do that, it just seemed to be something I wanted to do naturally in my alone time.

I gather sounds are important, but I get bored with meditations involving mantras. I don't have any problem sticking to the mantra (and can go the full 20-30 minutes without losing the mantra) - it just doesn't seem to have impact...

Whereas, when I discovered pure awareness meditation (focussing on the gap between thoughts and the bliss there) I was totally hooked, and couldn't get enough of it.

My point (in my long-winded way :) ) is - maybe you need to explore other meditation techniques, until you find one that you can't resist? If the sound element is important, I wonder if this could be addressed in some other way (eg tapes as you are doing the washing up or in the shower or something like that? Or maybe even do the mantra in the shower - each bit of your body getting its own set of I Ams?)
Go to Top of Page

colours

Sweden
108 Posts

Posted - Jan 14 2015 :  06:37:08 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
Hi

If you want to try another meditation I recommend breath attention. I started out with that one :)
But maybe mantra is more effective?

colours
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
AYP Public Forum © Contributing Authors (opinions and advice belong to the respective authors) Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.09 seconds. Snitz Forums 2000