AYPsite.org Forum
 AYP Helpers
 Public Relations - Radio and Internet Radio
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

NagoyaSea

424 Posts

Posted - Feb 06 2008 :  11:36:26 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Message
Hi All,

Early this year I contacted three radio stations that broadcast over airwaves and the internet. I chose stations that covered authors, books, and subjects of spirit, religion, enlightenment, both new age and traditional.

I reached out to:
National Public Radio - KQED in San Francisco, the show called "Forum" with Michael Krasney. This show has listeners world-wide.
http://www.kqed.org/programs/radio/forum/

Coast to Coast AM with George Noory- This is broadcast to sixteen million listeners worldwide.
http://www.coasttocoastam.com/

National Public Radio - "Speaking of Faith" with Krista Tippet.
http://speakingoffaith.publicradio.org/about/

I emailed each show and told them a little bit about Yogani, his spiritual scientist background, his melding of practices and his anonymity. I did my best to make them understand what we could attain by following the practices.

In contacting each show, I tried to tailor my request a bit to follow the 'bent' of each show. I let them know that he had already been interviewed as a radio guest and would be delighted to do it again. And I gave them contact information for Yogani so they could easily follow up without too much effort on their part.

You might consider contacting these shows and making similar requests, or if you have a venue in mind that would reach a sizeable audience, you might suggest that Yogani be a guest on the program. I think the more requests at a given venue, the higher our chances are of having Yogani interviewed, and the more chance to spread the practice.

Oprah has an internet radio show too. It is my understanding that she interviewed the author of the book, The Secret. So, I think I'll put together an email to her show suggesting the Yogani would be an excellent person to interview.

Please join us in thinking of good radio/internet radio venues that would reach sizeable audiences, and please contact them and request an interview with Yogani. Please make it easy for them to research Yogani and contact him by providing that pertinent information... And please don't mention amoroli in your pitch!

Light, Life and Love,
Kathy

Jim and His Karma

2111 Posts

Posted - Feb 06 2008 :  12:08:17 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
I have experience in radio, and I'd suggest that letter-writing campaigns (which I don't think is what you're suggesting) might be counter-productive; they'd be more likely to make AYP appear cultish and thus less attractive, plus the people who schedule such shows naturally resist doing so via external demand. I do realize that's not precisely what you're advocating! But the most direct way to do this would be for people to use direct personal connections to contacts in media (whether these three radio shows or other opportunities).

Most people have no such connections, but that's ok, because most helpful of all would be just a blanket spreading of the word. As more and more people do AYP and reap its benefits and word gets around, it's bound to organically reach those who can spread the word at a higher level. So anyone to whom we pass an AYP book or web site link is a direct step to accelerating awareness of this great practice.

Edited by - Jim and His Karma on Feb 06 2008 12:10:13 PM
Go to Top of Page

NagoyaSea

424 Posts

Posted - Feb 06 2008 :  3:29:34 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
One of the stations above actually solicits topic suggestions from listeners.

I think Yogani is capable of presenting himself in a non-cultish manner. The shows I targeted are question and answer forums rather than opinion forums. And some of the people whose works we discuss here have been interviewed on some of the shows. So if they are, why not try for Yogani?

I agree with you that most of us don't have direct contacts with media. No, I'm not suggesting a letter-writing campaign... but if a few of us drop an email to the stations indicating we'd enjoy an interview with Yogani, what is there to lose?

I also agree with you Jim, that spreading AYP by word of mouth and other means is a wonderful idea. I just think there's no reason not to try for larger audiences too. I just read on CNN that Larry King had interviewed Maharishi Mahesh Yogi... why not Yogani? Of course, he'd have to wear his Groucho Marx mask!

Kathy

Edited by - NagoyaSea on Feb 06 2008 3:40:47 PM
Go to Top of Page

Jim and His Karma

2111 Posts

Posted - Feb 06 2008 :  3:53:38 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
quote:
Originally posted by NagoyaSea
I think Yogani is capable of presenting himself in a non-cultish manner.

My goodness, I'm hoping you didn't get the impression I thought otherwise!

Everything you said makes sense. Absolutely a good idea for people to ply connections they have, or to suggest, as listeners/viewers/readers, AYP to any media opportunities that would fit.

The problem with media is a catch 22 ...until you're raised to a point of public recognition, media is unwilling to raise you to a point of public recognition. There are two ways to cut through: 1. gain public recognition via grassroots efforts (as we're already doing, but this is a slooow path) or 2. find the rare media operation with gumption to be first to present something unknown. It takes gumption, because the last thing producers and editors want is to elevate something that turns out to be awful or evil. Media is mostly corporate these days, and the first rule in corporations is to cover yer a$$, alas.

In our case, the process of slow grassroots growth will also mean that a few media people (or people with media connections) will eventually try the system out for themselves, and that might fuel gumption. But even if not, it's only a matter of time before critical mass is reached. By the time you get press, you no longer need press. That's how it works. Sort of like siddhis, I suppose! :)
Go to Top of Page

scottfitzgerald

USA
65 Posts

Posted - Feb 07 2008 :  08:51:17 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
I agree with what you are saying about media attention, and I don't think any attention should be given to Yogani, other than the "organizer" of this system. I have tried many times to get folks interested in this as a radio show, and for a short time it worked...look up in the top right corner for what we accomplished.

Letter or email writing might work, but you have to come up with a press release that is "sexy." Most radio programmers follow the old notion that in order for a topic to work and be of interest to an audience, it has to be about your health, your wallet, your looks, your kids or sex. May want to try several "fishing lines." One that truly approaces the AYP system as a health benefit and the other (which I think would work even better) is the sex element. Dr Bob wrote the book the One-Hour Orgasm, and he was booked out for almost six months with appearance on radio shows. This was all about manual stimulation and peaking, etc.

I am a huge proponent of all aspects of this path, however the aspect that makes most people stand up and take notice is the left handed path. If we were to offer a frank sexual discussion during radio's safe harbor period (after 10p) you could talk enough about the practice to allow folks to get a glimpse of the bliss that comes from the bottom up, so to speak. Let them fill in the blanks and find out about "top down" silence.

As far as approaching the NPR type stations, I don't think they would have the same impact. Not enough mass appeal.

Quick thoughts FWIW.

Big love,

Scott
Go to Top of Page

scottfitzgerald

USA
65 Posts

Posted - Feb 07 2008 :  08:55:37 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
Coast to Coast with George is great, but do you want to really be lumped in with the UFO/Government Conspiracy crowds?

It's hard to pick a "position" to take to market yourself. Too yoga, and folks think asanas...too Maharishi, and they think TM...too siddhi and you bring the James Randi types down on you. Just food for thought.

All that said, I still believe it can be done without cult backlash.
Go to Top of Page

Jim and His Karma

2111 Posts

Posted - Feb 07 2008 :  09:52:36 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
Good to hear from you, Scott. I enjoyed your presentations of this material a few months ago. I thought you did a fine job of edging toward the more esoteric stuff while still making it sound enough like "familiar" radio as not to freak anyone out!

quote:

you have to come up with a press release that is "sexy."

By which I don't think you mean slick and whiz-bang, but, rather, coming from a fresh "take" that will hold attention. That dynamic, btw, explains why, for better or worse, amaroli gets lots of action and attention...it's a "hook", though certainly not the hook we'd prefer (the reality is that one seldom gets the hook one prefers...even in childhood...how many of us would have chosen the nicknames we were given?). We'll have to keep refining the "hook" we present to the world.

quote:
Originally posted by scottfitzgerald
Too yoga, and folks think asanas...too Maharishi, and they think TM...too siddhi and you bring the James Randi types down on you.

James Randi backlash wouldn't be bad, necessarily. I'd just worry that leading with The Miraculous makes it sound dubious and overblown. To wit, I've come up with a tiny little move that seems to help migraine headaches. Around here, it's just another yoga move. But when I tell even close friends - who know I'm deep into yoga and who expect me to come up with insightful stuff about body and energy - they role their eyes at me like I'm insane. Yeah, like I've REALLY come up with something nobody's thought of for migraines, etc. With that in mind, I'm not sure how AYP could be sold, mainstream, if we lead with tales of ecstatic conductivity and flowing nectar, y'know? I fear dismissive eye rolling more than the spite of the Skeptics.

quote:

As far as approaching the NPR type stations, I don't think they would have the same impact. Not enough mass appeal.

Public radio's a real mixed bag, though, with every show an island. And there may be local or semi-local shows that might be sympathetic. I think that's what Kathy was steering us toward.

quote:

I don't think any attention should be given to Yogani, other than the "organizer" of this system.

I agree that leading with a Fearless Leader angle may not send the truest message of what AYP is about. And Yogani has often stated that he doesn't want to be saddled with carrying the brand image long term, though he does do a great job (as we all know) answering questions and making the esoteric seem mildly attainable. But he's the only spokesman we've got (unless you want to help on that). Agreed, though, that it's truest for the practice, truest to Yogani's intentions, and most likely to attract press if we stress the practice rather than the individual who created it. We had some problems on Wikipedia last year when sight was lost on that, and the Wiki people concluded this was about self-promotion.

Back to my previous posting, best might be if other media people fall into the practice (as you have) and produce first person reports, perhaps drawing in Yogani for interviews. The only way that happens is via sheer luck. Luck can be accelerated, though, by generally spreading the word. As our grassroots expand, it'll become more and more likely that louder voices become involved. Again (sorry to repeat, but it's a hard-won truth), media attention happens when you no longer need media attention to generate interest. It's true of so many things...

Edited by - Jim and His Karma on Feb 07 2008 10:00:21 AM
Go to Top of Page

yogani

USA
5195 Posts

Posted - Feb 07 2008 :  1:34:51 PM  Show Profile  Visit yogani's Homepage  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
quote:
Originally posted by Jim and His Karma

quote:

Scott said: I don't think any attention should be given to Yogani, other than the "organizer" of this system.

I agree that leading with a Fearless Leader angle may not send the truest message of what AYP is about. And Yogani has often stated that he doesn't want to be saddled with carrying the brand image long term, though he does do a great job (as we all know) answering questions and making the esoteric seem mildly attainable. But he's the only spokesman we've got (unless you want to help on that). Agreed, though, that it's truest for the practice, truest to Yogani's intentions, and most likely to attract press if we stress the practice rather than the individual who created it. We had some problems on Wikipedia last year when sight was lost on that, and the Wiki people concluded this was about self-promotion.

Hi All:

This part is music to my ears, especially the part about other spokespersons.

My only interest in going on the air (or Wikipedia, or anywhere) is to broaden the visibility of AYP. I am very willing to do that, but hope to ride off into the sunset when others pick up that role as time goes on. I wonder if all this can be accomplished while staying anonymous, but that is my problem. It is a trade-off. Anonymity versus Oprah? -- A journey from from the sublime to the ridiculous, and hopefully back again. It is all the same really.

All that aside, the intention is for AYP to become a self-perpetuating open resource that will have many spokespeople, a lot of public visibility, and play a role in promoting and supporting self-directed spiritual practice everywhere. That, plus help "Applied Spiritual Science" reach critical mass in the large research and educational institutions.

So I will duck out of here for now. Call me if you need me.

Thanks much!

The guru is in you.
Go to Top of Page

Jim and His Karma

2111 Posts

Posted - Feb 07 2008 :  1:58:09 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
The problem, Yogani, is you do a particularly good job as spokesman. Lots of fine lines to walk, and you do so with aplomb. Best of all worlds would be (IMO) if publicity centers strictly on the practice itself, but you're willing to pop in and be interviewed upon request. Maybe Scott could help share that burden, at some point....he may not have your knowledge, but he does understand how to present this material to mainstream audience in a calm, accessible manner. Communication is everything...
Go to Top of Page

NagoyaSea

424 Posts

Posted - Feb 07 2008 :  3:39:12 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
Scott, thank you for all the excellent points you raised! And you're right, I probably took the wrong approach for the stations I contacted--going after the spiritual angle. And the 'coast to coast' issue--- yes there are definitely some interesting characters on that show. But there appear to be some down to earth discussions as well, but they seem fewer and farther between.

I'm surprised by the NPR (not enough mass appeal) comment. But you know this area much better than I do!

Thanks also Jim, for your comments, and you too Yogani, for clarifying your position on this.

light, life and love,

Kathy
Go to Top of Page

scottfitzgerald

USA
65 Posts

Posted - Feb 07 2008 :  8:58:56 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
N-

Didn't mean to come down on the Public Radio angle. It is VERY viable, and communicated correctly, could be a tremendous boon to awareness. The strategy is multi-leveled. I gave a gut reaction on one level.

All avenues are ripe for listening to the right story. NPR Audience members differ from commercial radio listeners and are as likely as any, and my guess, more likely than most, to have the bhakti that would grok this. The numbers aren't large, however it would be target rich.

Then what would be the approach? First non-linear, international, on-line open spiritual community? The first spiritual path that takes the Linux approach instead of the Microsoft approach?

Yogani? Intent?

Got my bhakti up, you rascally wabbits.

Big love

scott

Edited by - scottfitzgerald on Feb 07 2008 9:06:41 PM
Go to Top of Page

Black Rebel Radio

USA
98 Posts

Posted - Feb 07 2008 :  10:15:03 PM  Show Profile  Visit Black Rebel Radio's Homepage  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
How about action figures?

Peace
Mac
Go to Top of Page

Black Rebel Radio

USA
98 Posts

Posted - Feb 07 2008 :  10:15:36 PM  Show Profile  Visit Black Rebel Radio's Homepage  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
Or maybe some inaction figures.

Mac
Go to Top of Page

yogani

USA
5195 Posts

Posted - Feb 07 2008 :  11:06:24 PM  Show Profile  Visit yogani's Homepage  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
quote:
Originally posted by scottfitzgerald

Then what would be the approach? First non-linear, international, on-line open spiritual community? The first spiritual path that takes the Linux approach instead of the Microsoft approach?

Yogani? Intent?

Hi Scott:

Thanks for chiming in on this. I'd say whatever will work in each venue. You know what people want to hear about. Just tell it like it is in a way that you know will draw interest. Every aspect of AYP leads to every other aspect, so the conversation can start anywhere, depending on audience interest.

AYP is not difficult to grasp by anyone who really wants to. And it's not difficult to produce lasting results. Way easier than considering all this back in the 1970s. Maybe that is the story. It is a new era of spiritual practice and experience...

The guru is in you.
Go to Top of Page

NagoyaSea

424 Posts

Posted - Feb 09 2008 :  12:49:49 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
Dear Scott, I didn't think you were coming down on NPR!

You said:
quote:
All avenues are ripe for listening to the right story. NPR Audience members differ from commercial radio listeners and are as likely as any, and my guess, more likely than most, to have the bhakti that would grok this. The numbers aren't large, however it would be target rich.

This was along my thought lines too...And that perhaps from them, example and action might spread...

And Mac! Your action figure / inaction figure made me burst out laughing!!! Thanks for the laugh!

light and love,
Kathy
Go to Top of Page

scottfitzgerald

USA
65 Posts

Posted - Feb 10 2008 :  7:34:06 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
Mac-

Belly laugh as well.

I'm very interested in working on this. Still marinating on it. On the cusp of some life changes that may make things easier and may make things harder--just from a time perspective.

Perhaps the marketing should be just like the practice. Doing it, enjoying the scenery and going back to marketing.

I use the term marketing, as I don't have a Sanskrit word for it...I could make one up. :)

Big love

Scott
Go to Top of Page

Jim and His Karma

2111 Posts

Posted - Feb 11 2008 :  12:23:54 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
The way to do marketing in jibe with spiritual practice is to approach it with a light touch...a subtle, relentless patience, just as we apply to spiritual practice. The popularity of AYP is inevitable in the long run. In time a great many people will be doing this practice, just because it works and there's a solid core of people who know it works, and it's only a matter of time before word gets out virally. It won't happen soon. But it'll happen. Light "touches" can accelerate that process a little, working WITH the inertia. But forcing is self-defeating!

I'm not suggesting anyone hold back if they have ideas or energy. But in the big picture, the mild-mannered, no-rushing, no forcing, let-it-happen approach of AYP works for marketing, as well- at least if what you're "selling" is irresistible and you neither overdo nor underdo.

Edited by - Jim and His Karma on Feb 11 2008 01:03:49 AM
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
AYP Public Forum © Contributing Authors (opinions and advice belong to the respective authors) Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.06 seconds. Snitz Forums 2000