Profile | Register | Active Topics | Members | Forum FAQ | Search
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 AYPsite.org Forum
 AYP Helpers
 Teaching a Class? You mean in public..?!!
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

scottfitzgerald

USA
65 Posts

Posted - Mar 03 2008 :  08:35:18 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Message
I helped teach a Sunday morning meditation class and enjoyed it very much. Most of the class was questions, and I was suprised to find out that for most of them I had replies--not necessarily any answers. Many of the questions were ones I had heard between my own ears before in this process. :)

Is anybody else teaching any meditation classes, and if so, how do you structure things? I can go on my gut with this, and always will when in front of the students, however, and insight would be helpful.

I have issues with fear, as may be noted in other posts--this was another one to push through. I got a chance to "own" my practice to someone outside of my head. It felt like yelling the mantra, and then turning it around and having it whispered down my neck by the lover that is the universe. Talk about chills...

Thoughts?

Big Love-

Scott

Black Rebel Radio

USA
98 Posts

Posted - Mar 03 2008 :  09:32:11 AM  Show Profile  Visit Black Rebel Radio's Homepage  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
Cool, that is awesome Scott. I have thought that I eventually want to do this too. I have been "turning people on" to AYP since I started.

I have been trying to teach my boys and basically (for me, anyway) if you listen to the DM audio book from Yogani, that will give you all you need to translate into your own style of presentation.

I was watching Iconoclasts (on Sundance - its queued in On Demand right now within Comcast's system) with Deepak Chopra and Mike Myers. Mike came into Deepak's office and he taught him how to do the "I Am" mantra. He had him pronounce it out loud a couple of times and then whisper it and then internalize and think the mantra. I thought this was a really effective way to do it and tried it with my boys. (There is no telling what they are thinking about...lol). I think Deepak is a TM guy and maybe that is how they do it (I have seen someone else discuss it in the forums pretty recently).

I would really like to get it going for kids in schools (maybe we can substitute some meditation for Ritalin). We could take some of the 80 days that we spend in preparing for and taking standardized tests and really teach our future some life skills.

I think that fear is fuel for you Scott. It works that way for me (often-times). It's like that extra mega-watt for the radio transmission. (well, maybe millwatt and low frequency for this).

Keep us posted on your experiences with this.

Mac

PS.
Every time I see your name it makes me think of the Great Gatsby.
Go to Top of Page

scottfitzgerald

USA
65 Posts

Posted - Mar 03 2008 :  12:18:34 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
Black Rebel Radio-

First of all, what is the radio reference? I always find that intriguing...and everytime I see a post from you I think of Black Oak Arkansas-can't remember their hit record, but the connection is always that. :)

I agree, AYP could have a tremendous benefit to children--the CYS does virtues programs with kids that are amazing.

I have read all the books, all the lessons, and part of me says to just bring that first page into the next class and start from the beginning, however I want it be interactive, and alive and inspriring...otherwise I could just walk in and hand everyone a piece of paper with the link on it and tell them to go ahead and leave--the class is over..."Go find the Guru...the Guru is in you."

Of course that will not be the case.

I am really looking forward to it.

Any support here would be great.

Also, if you have been to a yoga class or a meditation class and someone suggested a technique/practice etc that dovetailed within the AYP system with a different language, that would be helpful to know. My feeling is all we can do to folks is point them in the direction of the meal--"it's not this, and it's not that, but you are going to love it."

Big love

scott

Funny thing--NEVER finished the Great Gatsby.
Go to Top of Page

riptiz

United Kingdom
741 Posts

Posted - Mar 03 2008 :  1:00:31 PM  Show Profile  Visit riptiz's Homepage  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
Hi Scott,
I have been teaching Kundalini Maha Yoga for 3 years now on a regular basis which has many similarities to AYP. I normally teach this initially in 4- 2 hr sessions on a weekly basis for 4 weeks in the following format.
1)Introduction to what yoga is(not the common western belief that it is simply for health or physical reasons)and brief description of other styles.Hatha,Bhakti,Karma etc.
History and difference of KMY.
Then I teach correct breathing for meditation and we practice.
I finish with a chakra overhaul which gives a kick start to the energy system.
2) Discussions of experiences from using the breathing at home during the last week and question and answer session.
I teach the mantra and couple it with the breathing which is also practiced.
3)Discussions of experiences and Q&A session again.
I teach the Anulom Vinom which we also practice.
4)Discussions of experiences and Q&A session once more.
Self healing techniques and practice.
I finish with a Gurukripa attunement which again gives further purification and energy boost.
Things I don't do is
1)Try to convince others of the effectiveness.(they need to find out for themselves to believe)
2)Tell others they need to give up anything or believe in God to get benefits.
Hope this helps.
L&L
Dave
p.s the attunements and overhauls is not an integral part of any system but abilities I have been blessed with.

Go to Top of Page

mikkiji

USA
219 Posts

Posted - Mar 03 2008 :  1:59:30 PM  Show Profile  Visit mikkiji's Homepage  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
I have been teaching Transcendental Meditation for 32 years. The basic procedure which Deepak Chopra uses is the TM technique and steps of initiation--Dr. Chopra was a long-time disciple of Maharishi Mahesh Yogi. We utilize a very specific series of teaching steps, from the first informational lessons right thru the teaching of the mantra and how to use it, and the verification of correctness of the technique and imparting of information necessary to understand and utilize it effectively over time. I have always found--and Maharishi told us this when he made us teachers--that the teacher always gets more from the process than his students. As Donovan sang, "Happiness runs in a circular motion..."

Jai Guru Dev,
Michael
Go to Top of Page

AYPforum

351 Posts

Posted - Mar 04 2008 :  10:20:20 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
Moderator note: Topic moved for better placement
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
AYP Public Forum © Contributing Authors (opinions and advice belong to the respective authors) Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.05 seconds. Snitz Forums 2000