AYPsite.org Forum
 Building a Daily Practice with Self-Pacing
 looking for the boundaries of deep meditation
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

atena

113 Posts

Posted - Nov 30 2007 :  10:14:20 AM  Show Profile  Visit atena's Homepage  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Message
I have been doing some experiments with deep meditation lately. I have noticed that I can do it more than twice a day without overpurification symptoms, if there is enough time between each meditation. I don't know about long term effects on kundalini yet but I think that sleeping propably gives you enough time to recover.

5h 31min after another meditation has been the shortest time I have tested without overpurification using I AM mantra 20 minutes per session, 1 round of samyama sutras after that, and then rest of course.

There is some warmth/heat in the body but it is not to the degree of discomfort.

I do spinal breathing and related practices only twice-, or total of 20 minutes- each day.

Just wanted to let you know... I'll keep experimenting. I'm eager to know what is possible within this body/mind =)
Of course I know to self pace if things get uncomfortable, but amazingly there has been no need for that, atleast yet.

I know, it is very personal how much time each person needs for purification so I'm not suggesting anyone to do this.

Edited by - atena on Nov 30 2007 10:17:52 AM

emc

2072 Posts

Posted - Nov 30 2007 :  11:11:22 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
Interesting, atena.

For how long have you meditated more than twice a day?
Go to Top of Page

atena

113 Posts

Posted - Nov 30 2007 :  11:30:48 AM  Show Profile  Visit atena's Homepage  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
Just for couple of days. I'll do longer test period later.
Go to Top of Page

emc

2072 Posts

Posted - Nov 30 2007 :  11:45:00 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
Ah! Then I see a great risk for overdoing with that type of addition and not following the basic teachings in AYP. When you overdo your practices there may be a sleeping effect slowly building up during several weeks or even months, and then the back-lash can hit suddenly and hard! And last for weeks or months.

Experimenting is fine in order to get to know your own limitations and capacities- but be aware that there might be a price to pay in well-being! I have friends who constantly have a path where they overdo for weeks, and then they are sooo surprised when they are depressed, angry and irritated for 2 months afterwards. When they feel ok again they burn their candles in both ends and go fully... until they are frustrated again and messes up their work, relationships and health. That jojo path they are walking is fine. But there is a smoother way, and self-pacing in time is the suggestion!

Edited by - emc on Nov 30 2007 11:45:44 AM
Go to Top of Page

atena

113 Posts

Posted - Nov 30 2007 :  12:23:53 PM  Show Profile  Visit atena's Homepage  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
I agree with that. What I'm trying to do is to discover my personal, balanced practice between two extremes of "not enough!" and "too much!" purification.
It is a very subjective thing, but I don't appreciate "the jojo path" neither, because steadiness works.

AYP has good suggestions for steady practices, which work for sure. But maybe, there is room for improvement... only one way to know. If someone has done similar experiments I would greatly appreciate to know what were the results!
Go to Top of Page

yogani

USA
5196 Posts

Posted - Nov 30 2007 :  1:09:24 PM  Show Profile  Visit yogani's Homepage  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
Hi Atena:

EMC offers you good advice, particularly the part about delayed reactions to excessive practice, which can involve long recoveries.

Due to the delayed effects and subsequent long recoveries (when we can't practice much, if at all), engaging in overly aggressive practice can actually slow our progress rather than speed it up. This is a real risk, as some around here can attest to from their own experience.

If you are interested in doing more than two deep meditation sittings per day (an extra group meditation now and then is fine), it is suggested to check the retreat schedules in the first two topics here:

http://www.aypsite.org/forum/forum.asp?FORUM_ID=41

It is not recommended to do more than two meditation sittings per day without going into retreat mode, which includes discontinuing all other responsibilities during the time of the retreat, and following a precise schedule for "going in" at the beginning of the retreat and "coming out" at the end of the retreat, all designed for safe handling of the additional purification and opening that will be occurring, and a smooth transition back to normal daily activity after the retreat.

Retreats aside, there are many things we can do to greatly enhance our practice routine and spiritual progress while fulfilling our daily responsibilities. Check the AYP lessons for a full integration of practices we can build step-by-step over time, without having to leave behind anything we are doing in our life. In fact, with a balanced routine of twice-daily sitting practices, our regular activities become an integral part of our practice, stabilizing the benefits we gain in our daily sittings of deep meditation, spinal breathing pranayama, etc.

If we have a strong desire to increase the number of sittings, and must act on it, then the dynamics of the process will be fundamentally changed. That is why the retreat schedules are offered. It is always the practitioner's decision.

Wishing you all the best. Practice wisely, and enjoy!

The guru is in you.
Go to Top of Page

riptiz

United Kingdom
741 Posts

Posted - Nov 30 2007 :  2:22:25 PM  Show Profile  Visit riptiz's Homepage  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
Hi Atena,
Yes, you will find your limit but may pay the price.When I started in TM in the mid 70's I was doing the daily 20min twice a day meditations. From the very first session and for two weeks continuously I experienced samadhi during meditation and a raised state of awareness when awake.
from these feelings of ecstasy I awoke to severe tiredness and depression which affected me in every way as significantly as the previous two weeks had.The difference was it nearly cost me my job!
Be careful.
L&L
Dave
Go to Top of Page

atena

113 Posts

Posted - Nov 30 2007 :  4:35:08 PM  Show Profile  Visit atena's Homepage  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
Thanks for responses Yogani and Dave. Maybe I'll test those solo retreats before going further with this experiment.
If I'll decide to continue experimenting after solo retreat I'll maybe try something a bit less aggressive and do it for short period of time.

I would like to know more about those delayed reactions. I have only had those unpleasant feelings of purification which result from too long deep meditation session but they pass quickly.

Emc, your friends doing AYP? 2 months of negative feelings... that's one hardcore delayed reaction :P

Well, I guess in time I will get a peak to some of those emotional reactions of smaller degree in time. Even if I continue using the less aggressive approach. Actually I've had some short experiences of depression (like one or two days), but thats about it.

Edited by - atena on Nov 30 2007 4:57:25 PM
Go to Top of Page

emc

2072 Posts

Posted - Nov 30 2007 :  5:13:52 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
Hi atena,

My friends were not regularly in AYP, but rather tried to mix it irregularly with a lot of different other spiritual work.

If you think 2 months sounds hardcore and you want to get a picture of how overload may be perceived and how difficult it may be to get rid of, we had an interesting case to follow in IcedEarth that we all learned a lot from - see links below.

http://www.aypsite.org/forum/topic....OPIC_ID=2063
http://www.aypsite.org/forum/topic....OPIC_ID=2210

Wish you all the best!
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
AYP Public Forum © Contributing Authors (opinions and advice belong to the respective authors) Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.05 seconds. Snitz Forums 2000