Discussions on AYP Deep Meditation and Samyama
 Deep Relaxation combined with AYP SBP & DM
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

Godslave

Canada
108 Posts

Posted - Jul 24 2021 :  2:40:12 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Message
Hi all,

Before finding AYP, I used to do the deep relaxation exercise also known as Corpse Pose, or Shavasana. I used to do this before going to sleep at night.

For the last number of months, I have been doing this at the same time as SBP and DM, just before sleep. Not every night, but fairly often.

I found that I was getting tensed up while doing SBP, and doing the relaxation really helped. Instead of "pushing" my attention up and down my spine against resistance, this is more just letting it go up and down on its own. It's hard to describe, but before I used to be getting some headaches from SBP and now I'm not getting that at all.

I just wanted to share this here, in case it helps others.

I have had trouble before with myself adding tension through use of breath control or mental energy exercises. So the deep relaxation really helps. And adding it to SBP makes for a much more relaxing experience.

On top of that, I used to be "pushing" for the goal of purifying myself. But now I don't really have a goal; I'm just doing SBP & DM because it feels good, and I'm not "striving" for enlightenment or anything else.

This is partly because I'm not sure that enlightenment is actually a real thing ... but I'm hoping to read the "Liberation" book to get some more ideas on that, and what enlightenment might actually be in the AYP system.

interpaul

USA
524 Posts

Posted - Jul 24 2021 :  10:28:36 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
Godslave, Glad to hear you are able to ease up on the "pushing". Releasing into the practices is definitely a good thing. As Yogani often says there is a clunky phase where you have to work through your own personal stuff. I also recall a period of being more intense about forcing the energy. Although it is nice to be more relaxed about it, I do believe SBP requires some attention to moving the energy. It's all about bringing intention to the action, in the same way doing DM is a gentle training of the remind to return to the mantra without strain.

Shavasana is certainly very relaxing. My understanding and personal experience would suggest doing SBP/DM before bed isn't the best as it isn't designed to relax you to go to sleep.
Go to Top of Page

Dogboy

USA
2195 Posts

Posted - Jul 25 2021 :  12:17:42 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
Hello again Godslave

As I have tight hamstrings, I often use a strap with floor poses in asana class. As my AYP practice matured, and much to my surprise, the lighter I grasped the strap (barely wrapping my fingers around it) the easier holding the forward fold became. Totally blew my mind, as it seems counter intuitive! This is congruent with sambhavi, mulabanda, and even releasing sutras in Samyama (they are now but a whisper emanating from my solar center). Our attention matters, tension begets more tension. Congratulations on your modification!
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
AYP Public Forum © Contributing Authors (opinions and advice belong to the respective authors) Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.03 seconds. Snitz Forums 2000