Discussions on AYP Deep Meditation and Samyama
 Sound of the mantra
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

Cato

Germany
225 Posts

Posted - Jul 20 2021 :  9:52:30 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Message
I guess this is a pretty fundamental question and I am not sure how to put it in words correctly:

I see a difference between repeating the mantra and repeating the mantra while focussing its sound. From reading the lessons it does not become quite clear to me. Do you just repeat the mantra or do you repeat it while focusing on the sound? Like listening to someone talk.

Hope the question is not confusing.

Christi

United Kingdom
4364 Posts

Posted - Jul 20 2021 :  10:19:58 PM  Show Profile  Visit Christi's Homepage  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
Hi Cato,

Yes, Deep Meditation is not simply repeating the mantra with the mantra going on in the background. That would be mantra japa. Deep meditation is repeating the mantra and listening to the sound at the same time. If you notice that your attention wanders onto something else, and is not on the sound of the mantra, then easily favour the mantra with your attention again.

Christi
Go to Top of Page

Dogboy

USA
2195 Posts

Posted - Jul 21 2021 :  12:39:53 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
I have had moments when the mantra echoes, notice it and redirect. I do wonder if it is the mind trying to assert itself in the session.
Go to Top of Page

Cato

Germany
225 Posts

Posted - Jul 21 2021 :  1:23:45 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
Thanks for the clarification

It is very helpful, my understanding might have been slightly on the wrong track.
Go to Top of Page

interpaul

USA
524 Posts

Posted - Jul 21 2021 :  5:11:03 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
My read on Yogani's writings was to release the mantra a little like samyama, allowing it to become less distinct. I have found the mantra becomes automatic once I drop into inner silence, although it can also become automatic when my mind wanders. My focus is always on returning to the mantra and letting it be.

Christi, I found your response somewhat unexpected. Can you comment a little on how you "listen to the sound" of the mantra without that being a distraction?
Go to Top of Page

BlueRaincoat

United Kingdom
1730 Posts

Posted - Jul 21 2021 :  7:31:50 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
Hi interpaul

What Christi is saying is that in DM, we pay attention to the mantra. We don't let it just run on autopilot and fall in the background.
quote:
Originally posted by interpaul
My focus is always on returning to the mantra and letting it be.

Yes, that is the correct procedure.
Go to Top of Page

SeySorciere

Seychelles
1532 Posts

Posted - Jul 22 2021 :  07:55:26 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
It has a lot to do with what you are doing with your attention. Attention = Awareness. You slowly start being aware of Awareness. Is my Awareness on the mantra? If not gently bring it back to the object of perception "mantra". This brings about the separation of Awareness from objects of perception (the mantra, sound, thoughts) until all is absorbed in Awareness.
Just giving it a different spin. Ignore if it creates more confusion than helping.

Sey
Go to Top of Page

Christi

United Kingdom
4364 Posts

Posted - Jul 22 2021 :  10:46:38 AM  Show Profile  Visit Christi's Homepage  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
quote:
Originally posted by interpaul

My read on Yogani's writings was to release the mantra a little like samyama, allowing it to become less distinct. I have found the mantra becomes automatic once I drop into inner silence, although it can also become automatic when my mind wanders. My focus is always on returning to the mantra and letting it be.

Christi, I found your response somewhat unexpected. Can you comment a little on how you "listen to the sound" of the mantra without that being a distraction?

Hi InnerPaul,

When I said "listen to the sound of the mantra" I simply meant have your attention on the mantra as you repeat it, as opposed to having the mantra rambling on in the background as you get on with other things, such as remembering what you did on holiday last year. If you did find yourself remembering what you did on holiday last year, during your meditation practice, then you would easily favour the mantra again with your attention, over that.

With Deep Meditation, the mantra is not released into inner silence the way a sutra is released in Samyama practice. That would require some degree of inner silence being present in the mind, which not everyone has, so it would not be possible for everyone anyway. It would also be a different practice.

With Deep Meditation, the mantra is repeated back-to-back with the attention being with the mantra. This is dharana. The mantra can become more faint and fuzzy during the process of meditation and this is fine. It can also begin to repeat automatically in the mind and this is fine too. It can even become a continuous stream of sound/vibration and this is fine as well. But whatever happens, we always stick with the basic procedure of the meditation which is to easily favour the mantra with our attention over anything else that is going on.

For more on the difference between Deep Meditation and Samyama see this topic:

https://www.aypsite.org/forum/topic...OPIC_ID=9738

Christi
Go to Top of Page

interpaul

USA
524 Posts

Posted - Jul 23 2021 :  08:06:27 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
Christi, Thanks, that explanation sounds more resonant.
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
AYP Public Forum © Contributing Authors (opinions and advice belong to the respective authors) Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.05 seconds. Snitz Forums 2000