Discussions on AYP Deep Meditation and Samyama
 Racing mind during meditation
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

Inspired

United Kingdom
8 Posts

Posted - Jul 20 2015 :  2:20:44 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Message
Hi all,

I've recently started meditating for 20 minutes twice a day using the Deep Meditation method. I've kept it up consistently for the last couple of weeks. However, for the last week or so I've actually found it harder and harder to quieten the mind, to the point where the majority of my meditation consists of racing thoughts, I then remember to get back to the mantra but then the racing thoughts happen again and the cycle continuously repeats. I feel like I'm not really able to get any consistent time on the mantra without my mind wondering off. Is this still effective meditation? Any tips on how to improve this? Currently with my mind racing all the time it feels the meditation is not as effective and relaxing.

Thanks,

Inspired

So-Hi

USA
481 Posts

Posted - Jul 20 2015 :  2:45:04 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
Hello Inspired. Two tips.

#1. Learn Spinal Breathing and do that first it really helps. See Lesson #41 here. http://www.aypsite.org/41.html

#2. It sounds like there is resistance developing be gentle with yourself and do not force things with the twice daily 20 minute routine consider experimenting with less time and / or perhaps only once per day.

Remember sometimes less is more and each of us are different.

Invite you to read here if you are interested in how it is I am working things out.: http://www.aypsite.org/forum/topic....PIC_ID=15387

Reply changed: corrected spelling and added links.

Edited by - So-Hi on Jul 20 2015 3:10:03 PM
Go to Top of Page

BlueRaincoat

United Kingdom
1730 Posts

Posted - Jul 20 2015 :  3:08:43 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
Hi Inspired, welcome to the AYP forum!

Yes, that is good meditation. There are times like this when the mind seems to be jumping about in all direction. Just follow the procedure of easily returning to the mantra when you've realise you're off it. Make sure you take time to rest coming out of meditation.

You're making progress. Keep up the good work.
Go to Top of Page

cosmic

USA
821 Posts

Posted - Jul 21 2015 :  12:00:22 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
Yes, it's still effective. Quieting the mind is a side effect of long-term practice... not something you do. Just keep practicing and it will get quieter over time.

Enjoy your practice!
Go to Top of Page

Inspired

United Kingdom
8 Posts

Posted - Jul 21 2015 :  1:36:20 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
Thanks for all your answers. I will definitely try that spinal breathing too. I guess it just doesn't feel as effective if the majority of my meditation consists of racing thoughts, not only does it feel less relaxing but it also pretty much feels like a normal part of the day with just thoughts going through my head.
Go to Top of Page

sunyata

USA
1508 Posts

Posted - Jul 21 2015 :  1:48:18 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
Welcome to the forums, Inspired.

When I first started meditating, I thought if I was able to continuously repeat the mantra then it was a good meditation. Getting lost in thoughts, realizing it and easily favoring the mantra is where the actual work happens. You are already to a good start.

quote:
However, for the last week or so I've actually found it harder and harder to quieten the mind, to the point where the majority of my meditation consists of racing thoughts, I then remember to get back to the mantra but then the racing thoughts happen again and the cycle continuously repeats

Good Sign!
Go to Top of Page

sunyata

USA
1508 Posts

Posted - Jul 21 2015 :  1:56:39 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
quote:
I guess it just doesn't feel as effective if the majority of my meditation consists of racing thoughts, not only does it feel less relaxing but it also pretty much feels like a normal part of the day with just thoughts going through my head.

Another good sign, you are already being aware of your inner life
Go to Top of Page

Inspired

United Kingdom
8 Posts

Posted - Jul 22 2015 :  5:07:50 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
Thanks sunyata. This leads me to a couple of questions that I'm very interested to find out. If there are any existing threads on this topic feel free to post them. If need be, I will start a new thread(s).

Would anyone know the rational, science and the mechanics behind why this meditation works with the mantra?

Moreover, at what part of the meditation does the benefit come? Losing the mantra? Remembering when to come back to the mantra, or when repeating the mantra?
Go to Top of Page

jusmail

India
491 Posts

Posted - Jul 22 2015 :  5:44:18 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
Quietening the mind helps the rise of inner silence, your pure potential. Also, doing it over a period of time unearths and clears all the negative patterns stored in our subconscious.

Ideally, all the 3 stages helps with the working of the mantra. Repeating, though has the greatest impact. For advanced practitioners, I believe just one repetition of the mantra is sufficient to take them to the deep vault of inner silence.
Go to Top of Page

Inspired

United Kingdom
8 Posts

Posted - Jul 23 2015 :  4:18:01 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
Thanks for this.
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
AYP Public Forum © Contributing Authors (opinions and advice belong to the respective authors) Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.05 seconds. Snitz Forums 2000