Satsang Cafe - General Discussions on AYP
 Where to start in the world of yoga.
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

Downward-dog

Netherlands
5 Posts

Posted - Jun 28 2014 :  4:36:45 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Message
Namasté, (at the end of the topic I will also introduce myself.)

I am having a hard time where to start. I do have a yoga teacher but I live in a small region in the Netherlands. My Yoga teacher is quite nice she has a buddhist teacher herself and quite a lot of yoga experience. The thing is however we have a class, then everyone goes off and we do not talk about yoga a lot. It's waiting til everyone comes doing asana's pranayama and some meditation.

However deeper talking about it, so I bought a dvd by Dharma Mittra and find some guidance in that, but there is of course questions that arise in my mind. I joined this forum to ask stuff, but I already can see a lot of topics flying trough my head.

My rheumatism, or how I should do the Yamas and Niyamas I have a personality disorder. I just am at a loss where to start. So instead of bombing you all with to many questions, I figured I would ask this.

Thanks a lot :)

Introduction:

I am a 22 year old man in the Netherlands that has gotten rheumatism when he was 18 months old, and later in his developing got a personality disorder.

Due to this I am quite a loner and cannot deal with people well I am anxious a lot and resent sometimes a lot.

On the other hand of things I try to do good things and am very loyal I just sometimes am insecure to push trough with what I want to do or lose collor in life trough anhedonia which means I cannot really feel joy a lot anymore.

- Thanks for having me on this forum!

Edited by - Downward-dog on Jun 28 2014 4:39:03 PM

AumNaturel

Canada
687 Posts

Posted - Jun 30 2014 :  12:08:04 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
Hi Downward-Dog, welcome.

Regarding personality disorders, as is said in the lessons, favor the practices and let them naturally carry through into yamas and niyamas as they surely will. Best of luck!
Go to Top of Page

Radharani

USA
843 Posts

Posted - Jun 30 2014 :  11:50:02 PM  Show Profile  Visit Radharani's Homepage  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
Dear Downward-Dog,
Welcome to the forum. If you are looking for a place to discuss yoga with like-minded people, you have come to the right place!

Re: anhedonia, I would be curious to see how this might respond to your meditative practice. As has been discussed in some other threads on the forum, there are different kinds of "joy." There is the fleeting happiness that comes from external events, and then there is the deep inner joy or "bliss" that wells up from inside as a result of our consistent daily yoga practice. So, I will be interested to know how it goes as you do the practices.

Please keep us posted.
Go to Top of Page

SeySorciere

Seychelles
1532 Posts

Posted - Jul 01 2014 :  02:04:34 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
Dear Downward dog,

you can start right here: http://www.aypsite.org/10.html

Good luck

Sey
Go to Top of Page

Downward-dog

Netherlands
5 Posts

Posted - Jul 01 2014 :  5:19:52 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply

Dear Radharani,

I must confess it is really hard for me to keep doing pranayama and meditation sometimes I skip it. It's bad I know, but I have days I really have to push myself to go. I often have wondered how the yamas and niyamas would work if your like my psychological burdened. Of course you cannot hide beneath it but it does have and make a impact.

I am happy to have found yoga. Before I meditated with zen meditation but it surely was very hard. I am hopening to open up that way trough yoga again. I will keep you posten but I feel nothing great with it. Sometimes I feel more energy but it dies down after a bit. With yoga I feel energized also and a lot better like all worries are away. But it remains and stays hard.

@all others thanks for your replies and help!

quote:
Originally posted by Radharani

Dear Downward-Dog,
Welcome to the forum. If you are looking for a place to discuss yoga with like-minded people, you have come to the right place!

Re: anhedonia, I would be curious to see how this might respond to your meditative practice. As has been discussed in some other threads on the forum, there are different kinds of "joy." There is the fleeting happiness that comes from external events, and then there is the deep inner joy or "bliss" that wells up from inside as a result of our consistent daily yoga practice. So, I will be interested to know how it goes as you do the practices.

Please keep us posted.

Go to Top of Page

SeySorciere

Seychelles
1532 Posts

Posted - Jul 02 2014 :  02:18:56 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
Dear Downward dog,

Be gentle with yourself. Start one small thing at a time. Don't read too much in one go and try to understand /sort it all out. Forget the Yamas & Niyamas for the time being. Start with 20 mins Deep Meditation twice a day - that's all. Do that for a good 6 weeks, be steady in it. Then add Spinal Breathing Pranayama.
We always say here - this is a marathon not a sprint. One small step at a time.

Sey

Go to Top of Page

krcqimpro1

India
329 Posts

Posted - Aug 12 2014 :  03:14:18 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
Hi Downward,

Starting with AYP's deep meditation is a good idea.Read the lesson available free on the web-site.

For your rheumatism, I would suggest you start practicing Amaroli, and in addition, do daily rubbing of the affected joints with the same fluid, but one or two-day old.
This treatment has worked wonders with a lot of people known to me in India.

Krish
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
AYP Public Forum © Contributing Authors (opinions and advice belong to the respective authors) Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.06 seconds. Snitz Forums 2000