Satsang Cafe - General Discussions on AYP
 Flu
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

Vicki

Ireland
20 Posts

Posted - Apr 06 2006 :  09:38:51 AM  Show Profile  Visit Vicki's Homepage  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Message
Hi all,
At the moment I'm suffering from a kind of 'flu'. I'm wondering if a cleansing is going on. Just before I achieved stage 2 khechari a few months ago I was off sick with a bad throat infection that lasted a week. I am a bit surprised to find myself wiped out and ill at the moment not long after experiencing the sounds, energy, intense vibration and bliss of a few weeks ago which has only recently subsided. I was just beginning to slowly increase my practise and now this. I am too wiped out and suffering from piercing headaches to practise, so I'm resting. Is my body or rather spirit trying to tell me something?

Om Shanti,

V

Shanti

USA
4854 Posts

Posted - Apr 06 2006 :  10:56:21 AM  Show Profile  Visit Shanti's Homepage  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
Hi Vicki,
I am sorry you are not feeling well.. Hope you feel better soon.
Yes I think these are signs of purification. I think you are doing the right thing by resting. If your headache continues though, you may want to get it checked out. I have read a lot of posts here that describe similar symptoms before or after an opening.. so I guess good things are happening.. I am sure some one will correct me if I am wrong.
Take lots of rest and drink lots of fluids. I am sure you feel better in no time. You can look into the links below.. they describe/explain some of your symptoms.
http://www.aypsite.org/forum/topic....TOPIC_ID=663
http://www.aypsite.org/forum/topic....TOPIC_ID=865
Go to Top of Page

david_obsidian

USA
2602 Posts

Posted - Apr 06 2006 :  11:03:16 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
Yogic purification can certainly bring on flu-like symptoms in itself. Also I believe that the purification can reduce immune resistance temporarily and you can be prone to actually getting infections during such times. So to the question 'Is this purification or a virus/infection', the answer can often be 'both'.

For me, a marker of a yogic purification has often been a strong feeling that some healing was going on. I often had a strong intuitive sense that the headaches I experienced were part of a healing process.

Edited by - david_obsidian on Apr 06 2006 11:04:42 AM
Go to Top of Page

NagoyaSea

424 Posts

Posted - Apr 06 2006 :  11:32:52 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
Hi Vicki,

One other perspective on the piercing headaches. If they aren't purification or medically caused, then consider cutting gently back on practice time or any recent practices added. Last year, I enhanced the mantra and added other practices too quickly---MAN!! I got the WORST migraines of my life and the only thing that helped was cutting back some of the extra practice I had added, stabilizing and then slowly re-adding...

Hope you feel better and more energetic soon!
Light and Love,
Kathy
Go to Top of Page

david_obsidian

USA
2602 Posts

Posted - Apr 06 2006 :  12:03:24 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply

Kathy said:
MAN!! I got the WORST migraines of my life

FYI, I think that lying down and giving bare attention to the body and/or white noise is a good stabilizing practice in situations such as that one.

Go to Top of Page

Vicki

Ireland
20 Posts

Posted - Apr 06 2006 :  1:09:17 PM  Show Profile  Visit Vicki's Homepage  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
Thanks everyone for your replies!
Go to Top of Page

NagoyaSea

424 Posts

Posted - Apr 06 2006 :  3:28:06 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
David, thanks. I'll try that if it happens again. But I can say, that a meditation with the simple I AM mantra also really helps migraines if they aren't too entrenched yet.

Kathy
Go to Top of Page

david_obsidian

USA
2602 Posts

Posted - Apr 06 2006 :  3:42:47 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
Yip! It all depends.

>> I think that lying down and giving bare attention to the body and/or white noise is a good stabilizing practice in situations such as that one.

Better put, 'feel the body'. Feel the feeling of the body. What could be easier? That's all you have to do. And enjoy the restfulness of that.

Edited by - david_obsidian on Apr 06 2006 4:20:57 PM
Go to Top of Page

Shanti

USA
4854 Posts

Posted - Apr 06 2006 :  5:08:41 PM  Show Profile  Visit Shanti's Homepage  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
I get really bad migraines.. you saying this is good for ant migraine or just ones brought on by some opening? Nothing other than imitrex gets rid my my migraines.. which if I don't treat with medication can last for days... I will try this next time..
Go to Top of Page

david_obsidian

USA
2602 Posts

Posted - Apr 06 2006 :  5:54:45 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
Good questions Shanti -- I'm no expert, though I have had 'painless migraines' myself. I have found the technique I mention helpful for the painless migraines I have had.

If you have had the instability of an 'opening' you may find continued meditation makes things worse; but this technique is a very stabilizing one and shouldn't create the problem.

In the TM world, (and they got most of their technical stuff down very well) in the case of active, bed-ridden illness, you are no longer limited to 20 minutes meditation twice per day. At least that is what I was taught years ago. Does this apply to migraine? I think so; assuming the migraine has you bed-ridden; certainly, I meditated A LOT in times of this painless migraine I used to get and it helped. Kathy, you may want to take a note of that if you did not already know it.

But as I say, if the meditation itself causes instability (and it can) this alternative exercise is appropriate for settling things.

I'd say keep both techniques in mind, and self-pace.

Edited by - david_obsidian on Apr 06 2006 5:57:10 PM
Go to Top of Page

NagoyaSea

424 Posts

Posted - Apr 06 2006 :  8:58:25 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
David's right. If adding too much practice is responsible for the migraines then cutting back is really going to be the thing to solve the problem. In my case, I went back to the simple mantra and dropped all other practices until I was stable again.

Shanti, For a few years I had a real struggle with migraines...the laying in bed, barf-o-matic, don't want any sound or light kind...

I have noticed that continued, consistent meditation helps keep them at bay AND learning what the triggers are--it could be various foods, hormones, stress, etc. And then avoiding those triggers that you can!

I don't get them often now and I can control them without the imitrex and maxalt I used to take. But I have to catch them quickly, or like you say, they will last for days. I do have to sometimes resort to meds, but not often and a different, low dose med. BTW, simple excedrine migraine can cut one short if you take that stuff immediately upon that little seed of a migraine you feel before it hits. You know what I'm talking about right?

If I was having the kind of migraine that was incapacitating, in my case, the simple I AM meditation really did help. And at those times, like David, I did those extra meditations lying down in bed.

I hope that you are as lucky as I've been and they lessen in severity and frequency. I do believe consistent practice has helped.

It's also possible that the psychological/external changes brought about by the practices reduce the frequency of migraines. If we are mellower, less stressed, more joyful, it seems like those evil migraines won't hit us so often.

Sorry, Shanti-- didn't mean to write a book here. Hee Hee.

In light and love,
Kathy
Go to Top of Page

Shanti

USA
4854 Posts

Posted - Apr 07 2006 :  09:46:38 AM  Show Profile  Visit Shanti's Homepage  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
Thanks Kathy.. that was very helpful. My migraines are hormonal.. and always on a Saturday.. never figured that one out. Six years back.. I would suffer from migraines almost everyday.. I don't think it was hormonal then.. it was more from depression. Now I get them once or twice a month. I don't have the privilege of staying in bed and getting over them.. generally have to pop a pill so I can get on with my day. I will try the Excedrin migraine when I feel the seed of migraine. I generally cannot "i am" with a migraine. The worst part about imitrex is.. the headache is gone in half hour.. but it tenses up the muscles on my back, neck and lower part of the head real bad.. that takes forever to get over.
You dont have to be sorry Kathy.. I enjoyed the book
Go to Top of Page

Shanti

USA
4854 Posts

Posted - Apr 08 2006 :  09:54:49 AM  Show Profile  Visit Shanti's Homepage  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
Hi Kathy and David.
Well this morning I woke up with the "seed" of migraine.. I took 2 Excedrin's and lay down and put my awareness on my pain. Thanks guys.. in an hour my pain went away. This is awesome. I have a very busy weekend ahead.. I really appreciate not having my back, neck and head all tight and in knots (due to imitrex)...
I will skip the Excedrin the next time though.. I did not realize how much caffeine it has.. I took it at 4.00 am.. and it is about 10.00 right now.. my hands are still shaking, my head feels disconnected from my body and I feel a buzz in my head.. During meditation I could feel a huge block in my heart and back.. below my neck. I did not realize caffeine had such a big effect on us.. The box says.. one pill has enough caffeine as one cup of coffee.. I don't believe them.. 2 of them seems to have as much a a whole pot of coffee.. How long does a caffeine high last by the way???
-Shweta

Edited by - Shanti on Apr 08 2006 10:32:35 AM
Go to Top of Page

david_obsidian

USA
2602 Posts

Posted - Apr 08 2006 :  1:33:01 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
The half life of caffeine in the human body varies between 3 to 7 hours.

So at worst, in 14 hours, it's down to 25% of what you took in, and takes 28 hours to be down to only 5% of what you took in.

At best, in 6 hours, it's already down to only 25% of that you took in, or in twelve hours, down to only 5% of what you took in.

Edited by - david_obsidian on Apr 08 2006 1:33:11 PM
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
AYP Public Forum © Contributing Authors (opinions and advice belong to the respective authors) Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.08 seconds. Snitz Forums 2000