Discussions on AYP Pranayama, Mudras and Bandhas
 strange "purification?"
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

Victor

USA
910 Posts

Posted - Dec 22 2005 :  03:23:17 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Message
I had a strange experience that may be related to my AYP practice.
i do pranayama with chin pump and kechari for 15 minutes followed by meditation twice a day. Also doing amaroli in the morning. been doing this daily for a year and a half so this is not a new practice pattern.
I have been working on sitting closer to the floor in siddhasana and have gotten down to a very thin pad under my butt (1/2 inch).Well, the other day i felt what was like muscle soreness in my neck mostly on the left side in the areas that get stretched during chin pump. The next night I felt like someone had stuck a knife in my throat and it hurt alot to cough of swallow. Actually almost felt like my head was coming off at the neck! I had fever of 101 the next day so i went to the doctor who said that he could find no tonsil swelling or white spots and took a culture for strep. said that he would call if it was positive. well no call from the doctor and..the symptoms and fever started to leave as fast as they arrived and now about 4 days later they are pretty much gone. This has cooincided with opening the upper chest in sitting practice. Am i wrong to think that it is practice related or just a seasonal infection? Interesting regardless.

riptiz

United Kingdom
741 Posts

Posted - Dec 22 2005 :  11:34:47 AM  Show Profile  Visit riptiz's Homepage  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
Dear Victor,
It sounds like energy movement to me and the soreness related to the energy trying to find a way through any blockages you may have.The temperature and other symptoms also sound like energy inpour. As the body is purified the amount of energy we absorb from the universe increases leading to higher body temperature. I think you have had a sudeen clearing resulting in energy inpour.
I had a similar experience about 2 yrs ago with my head trying to come off at the neck.While meditating and connecting to Dhyanyogi I was suddenly aware of a rush of energy moving up the body and my head felt as though it was trying to leave my head like a rocket.There was extreme pressure in my neck pushing upwards but no pain.You didn't actually mention if you got yhe soreness during meditation which would point to energy movement.
Incidentally my guru regularly gets high body teperatures (as high as 104)due to the enormous amount of energy input she is receiving.
L&L
Dave

'the mind can see further than the eyes'
Go to Top of Page

Jim and His Karma

2111 Posts

Posted - Dec 22 2005 :  12:17:51 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
Victor, my gut reaction was same as riptiz: that this is the sort of "healing crisis" new agey people talk about. Please please keep reporting in to this thread...sounds to me like you had some sort of breakthrough and great things are happening.

In a bunch of your postings over the past year, there's been explicit or implicit reference to a block of some sort at some level that's been bugging you. I think it may have just gone bye-bye. And it was a whopper......
Go to Top of Page

Victor

USA
910 Posts

Posted - Dec 22 2005 :  1:53:32 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
ok, so today by morning temperature was 97.3 certainly no fever! I have done my same practice as usual throughout with no changes except for being very gentle due to soreness. Today was easy to sit in Siddhasana and during Chin Pump Pranayama my chin wanted to linger turned to the left, kind of in the crook of the shoulder for about 1/2 a breath cycle for a number of cycles so I let it. Meditation also felt more easy and quiet than previous days. a nice comfortable practice. The fever did leave me with a swollen lower eyelid on my left side which is annoying and like I say seems to be a linger from the fever. Otherwise feel good. Slight muscle soreness on the left side of my neck but that is nothing to write home about compared to just a few days ago.
The only way that I have been changing the practice over the past few months has been the very gradual lowering of support that I sit on. I have had the desire to sit flat on the floor in Siddhasana so have been sitting on a folded camping "Z Rest" pad. this is unfoldable so that every few weeks I take out a layer. Currrently on the last layer. It is interesting that each layer seems to make a significant change in how the sitting feels making it a further challange. Also have noticed that at a certain height that there seems to be more sexual stimulation during meditation than other heights, then as I got lower that got less. Anyway, I am doing the equivilant of the old yoga phone book trick. You sit on a phone book and every day tear out a page till you are sitting on the floor after a few years.
Oh, also have had to temporarily discontinue Amaroli as during the fever it tasted awful and that the past few days I guess I was a bit dehydrated and didn't need to urinate first thing in the morning. I will resume amaroli tomorrow morning.
Don't think that the throat block is gone bye bye more like opening up bit by bit and sometimes more intensely but its a deep one.

Edited by - Victor on Dec 22 2005 1:57:57 PM
Go to Top of Page

david_obsidian

USA
2602 Posts

Posted - Dec 22 2005 :  3:06:10 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
Hi,

I can definitely concur that you can get a fever/sickness from a 'purification'. I've had a number of them in my time, and when I do, I usually have a strong sense (but no solid proof) that it is a purification-related fever as opposed to a seasonal virus.

I usually know it because I feel very 'fine' in some very new way, but get the fever/sickness at around the same time, or just after the onset of the new very 'fine' feeling.

-D
Go to Top of Page

Victor

USA
910 Posts

Posted - Dec 22 2005 :  3:51:07 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
well before i got sick i had pain running up the length of my spine. a tightness , a grip. during the illness this spinal tighness seems to have released and my breath is flowing back into my spine again. its interesting
Go to Top of Page

yogani

USA
5195 Posts

Posted - Dec 22 2005 :  5:01:25 PM  Show Profile  Visit yogani's Homepage  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
Hi All:

I'd be remiss in not confessing to having similar experiences in the past -- mine were mainly brain stem (medulla) related, and have long since cleared up. It is a razor's edge, you know -- when to let symptoms work themselves out and when to go to the doctor. The good news is that, if it is spiritual purification, an episode generally does clear up quickly (assuming good self-pacing in practices), and then we see the world in a new light, literally...

The "gurus" are hands off on discussing things like this (including the gamut of kundalini symptoms) for obvious reasons. I think we have a larger responsibility here in "open source" AYP to develop and deliver a good working knowledge to the public for all that happens on the road to enlightenment. Otherwise, how can yoga ever evolve into a well-documented and successfully applied science?

So, we have to ask the question from time to time -- "Is this particular symptom spiritual purification or is it medical?" and sort through it. I have been in favor of these kinds of public discussions on symptoms since the beginning, as can be seen in the AYP lessons. We can no longer afford to be sweeping the workings of spiritual evolution under the rug, no matter how messy it might be at times. It is certainly not messier than childbirth. It just takes longer...

At the same time, we have to be alert to medical issues that may arise in our life (see this recent post). Interestingly, yoga practices will very often reduce or cure a medical issue, even while occasionally producing spiritual symptoms! So this can be very complicated stuff.

Fortunately, we are getting a good handle on the main controls of yoga in AYP, and so far we have seen fairly few major disruptions from spiritual purification, and lots of visible progress instead. It is my hope that we will continue to refine our ability to manage the process of human spiritual transformation in ways that will enable anyone to approach the task with confidence, safety and good results.

The guru is in you.
Go to Top of Page

Jim and His Karma

2111 Posts

Posted - Dec 22 2005 :  8:08:52 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
quote:

The "gurus" are hands off on discussing things like this (including the gamut of kundalini symptoms) for obvious reasons.

And how. When kundalini awakened, longtime teachers of mine avoided me as if I had bird flu when I mentioned that I was having minor adjustment problems. Very dispiriting. I felt pretty isolated.

Victor, the only thing that's worrying me is the assymetry. I'd suggest (if it feels right to you) upping your asana practice, especially spinal twists, which are good for symmetry issues. I'm glad you've dropped amaroli for short term. Sounds like you need to go a little vanilla in the short term just to take stock of what's happened. My intuition is screaming that it's a good thing, but caution's always good. Please keep us up to date.
Go to Top of Page

Victor

USA
910 Posts

Posted - Dec 22 2005 :  10:30:17 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
Well I matter of factly went to the doctor just because I could. The symptoms seem to have cleared up now completely except for this annoying swollen eyelid. As for asymetry you do understand that I am Iyengar trained so that is always in my mind. Actually my AYP practice has helped alot with symetry on a deeper level now than asana did in the past. I had a head injury at age 8 which gave me a slight but deep imbalance to my head and upper neck (it is not generall visible to others but I am well aware of it). Since it was at an early age my body grew with the imbalance and so that is why it is so deep rooted. Asana and AYP have little by little been rooting it out and the difference is quite noticeable to me over the years. It does seem to be a very long slow process though. Right now practice feels on the right track so am not worried, just found it interesting so wanted to share.

Edited by - Victor on Dec 22 2005 10:39:10 PM
Go to Top of Page

love

USA
34 Posts

Posted - Dec 23 2005 :  02:02:59 AM  Show Profile  Visit love's Homepage  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
Hi you all, interesting topic. For the last month or 2 my body has been getting hot like 10 of more times a day and especially during meditation. I have been thinking that it might be hot flashes, so I stoped drinking coffee and stoped eating tofu, but these hot flashes are not going away. So it might be purification. What do you think?
Go to Top of Page

Jim and His Karma

2111 Posts

Posted - Dec 23 2005 :  02:15:22 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
love, see this lesson: http://www.aypsite.org/200.html
Go to Top of Page

love

USA
34 Posts

Posted - Dec 23 2005 :  10:42:06 PM  Show Profile  Visit love's Homepage  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
Victor, thank you for the link. After further study I found out that I am indeed a pitta type. I have to slow down on my spicy foods.

Love
Go to Top of Page

Victor

USA
910 Posts

Posted - Dec 24 2005 :  12:27:02 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
Love to take credit for the link but thanks go to Jim
Go to Top of Page

Jim and His Karma

2111 Posts

Posted - Dec 24 2005 :  01:30:45 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
Love, cut the alcohol way down, too.

Yes, it's absolutely astounding how fast and direct the effect of spicy foods is when you're in pitta overload (as I am, as well). Skin rashes are a particularly common thing. Oh, let me correct something: you may not be pitta type...you may be any type but are in pitta overload due to spiritual practices. It happens.

Be very very careful. I understand that pitta overload can be an absolute nightmare if it gets out of control. Watch for rashes and itching, particularly. Don't stay right on the edge, do what you need to do to back off. First is spicy food and alcohol. Next is following a pitta diet (lots of info linked to in that lesson). Finally, going to a good ayurvedic doctor for treatment.....but be real careful to tell him that it's a spiritual pitta overload (you may scare him off entirely, or else he'll minimize what he'll have you take). If you can't push back the problem, then reduce your practices.

Not trying to scare you....if it's not real bad now and you feel like it's coming under control, great. But this is not something you want to get away from you. At all.

one more thing...if you have rash, GREAT. It's the best way to gauge the issue. So long as it remains, you're not out of the woods and need to take steps per above.

Edited by - Jim and His Karma on Dec 24 2005 01:32:27 AM
Go to Top of Page

love

USA
34 Posts

Posted - Dec 24 2005 :  3:47:04 PM  Show Profile  Visit love's Homepage  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
Jim: Thanks for the advise, I'm signing up for an ayuvedic week in March. I found that the heat is at its worst when I hang upside down on my inversion machine before spinal breading and meditation. On alchohol, I dont do that, spicy food is somthing I'm going to have to get use to being out of my life.

Thanks again and happy holydays.
Love
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
AYP Public Forum © Contributing Authors (opinions and advice belong to the respective authors) Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.06 seconds. Snitz Forums 2000