Discussions on AYP Pranayama, Mudras and Bandhas
 Incorporating Love into Practice
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

Kosho

USA
1 Posts

Posted - Jan 23 2015 :  11:38:21 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Message
Hello everyone,
From reading different spiritual teachings over the years, one of the common threads I've seen is that love is the best tool for dissolving blockages and promoting a sense of compassion and unity. Given that, I was wondering if there was any benefit to consciously incorporating love into one's practice. Say, giving loving attention to the spinal nerve while doing Spinal Breathing, or to the mantra in Deep Meditation. As long as we are already giving these things our attention, why not make it loving attention?

I have tried it a few times and felt good with it, but I have only been practicing for a few months and I haven't yet developed the sensitivity to really feel what it is doing energetically. Can anyone with better developed inner senses provide some insight?

Thank you all for sharing your wisdom.

kumar ul islam

United Kingdom
791 Posts

Posted - Jan 23 2015 :  1:34:42 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
What a wonderful message for us all love really is the only practice thankyou for your enlightenment and making another molecule of my thought train open another door to the divinity within
Go to Top of Page

Dogboy

USA
2198 Posts

Posted - Jan 23 2015 :  1:43:25 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
Welcome Kosho!

After a year and a half of AYP, I can testify that loving attention can be physically felt; if a particular sit is generating a highly energetic state, I often offer up this energy to my ishta or someone I know and love and it registers as bubbles in my heart. Offering is an outward expression, which I believe reduces energy from collecting in my head.

That said, meditation is about "not doing" and non-striving, about being in and of inner silence. I see no harm in experimenting with moments of loving attention, I just wouldn't make it what drives your practice. Your is certainly in the right place!
Go to Top of Page

BlueRaincoat

United Kingdom
1730 Posts

Posted - Jan 24 2015 :  07:54:40 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
Hi Kosho

"Loving attention to the spinal nerve while doing Spinal Breathing" sounds nice.
With DM, perhaps it would be good to set an intent before you start it (best not do divide your attention during meditation).

You're right, love makes a huge difference in ones practice. What I feel is that it pulls the energy upwards. It also gives me a sense of expansion, not only in the heart (although that is quite strong), but it dissolves the boundaries altogether. It's not easy to describe these things, but you will feel them as you continue your practice.
Go to Top of Page

ak33

Canada
229 Posts

Posted - Jan 24 2015 :  10:07:10 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
Indeed, the heaviness that you feel in your heart from blockages and overload can be counteracted by love.

Edited by - ak33 on Jan 24 2015 10:07:53 AM
Go to Top of Page

Iyogaprops

Australia
1 Posts

Posted - Jan 24 2015 :  10:41:34 PM  Show Profile  Visit Iyogaprops's Homepage  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
Hi everyone, I believe that adding love on all the things you do makes a whole lot of difference! The feeling lifts off heavines that make the practice dreadful...like no pose iks too heavy for you to do. :)
Go to Top of Page

Charliedog

1625 Posts

Posted - Jan 25 2015 :  02:49:11 AM  Show Profile  Visit Charliedog's Homepage  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
So true. Beautiful said you all.....
Go to Top of Page

Bodhi Tree

2972 Posts

Posted - Jan 25 2015 :  09:28:05 AM  Show Profile  Visit Bodhi Tree's Homepage  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
In the practice of samyama, the very first sutra that is released into silence is love, so I think that says something about the importance of love in spiritual practices--and life, for that matter.

One of my favorite Yogani quotes is that "all emotion is the power of love." That one struck me right away and has made sense as I continue to contemplate the many shades and colors of human existence. At times, there are very murky and chaotic happenings, but even so, love is tying it all together.

Also, there's this term divine love, which seems to speak of an eternal quality that goes beyond preferences. Another word for it is agape, which is classical Greek.

I also like what Dogboy mentioned about the non-doing aspect of abiding in inner silence, which hints at an effortlessness that seems to be sustained by an invisible force. But, to paraphrase Yogani, we have to do something to do nothing. So, the structural overlay of regimented practices is like scaffolding that merges with the primary manifold of Being, or Self. And actually, the scaffolding and manifold are not separate, so truly, it is seen to be One becoming Himself, Herself, Itself...in the name of love.
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
AYP Public Forum © Contributing Authors (opinions and advice belong to the respective authors) Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.05 seconds. Snitz Forums 2000