Discussions on AYP Pranayama, Mudras and Bandhas
 Lots of involuntary movement outside of meditation
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

greymatter

USA
28 Posts

Posted - Jan 20 2015 :  9:22:11 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Message
Hey everyone,

I've been practicing DM and pranayama twice daily for about 10 months now. Since then I've read through the forums, the FAQ, and most of yogani's books.

Throughout my day, I feel unconscious urges to stretch, twist and crack my muscles and joints. It feels like my body is unconsciously learning where the tension and numbness is, then adjusting the way my muscles are arranged in ways that facilitate the flow of energy.

I cant say for sure when the automatic yoga happens. It seems to happen when I lose awareness such as in deep meditation. It might happen when I'm reading or walking. I can also make it happen by concentrating on the tension and numbness in my body.

Automatic yoga happens to me in crowds, on the bus, at college, and sometimes around friends and family, though less often. Sometimes people ask me what I'm doing, "Why are you staring up at nothing and twisting your neck?" Its okay though, I'm not embarrassed. I assume most people just think I have a nervous disorder. "I was just stretching" or "I was thinking about something" are my usual answers.

In the past week, I've been unconsciously making hand gestures that are similar to mudrahs with my left hand. Internally, I feel like the pressure of my fingers touching is happening in my chest.

I've read that automatic yoga is the result of kundalini. I've had experiences that lasted only a short time, where my heart felt like it was glowing and I saw a rotating white light. That has happened three times and they were very inspiring events. I dont feel like kundalini is active in me, (because I dont feel like I'm on fire and I'm not a sage) but when I make automatic movements it feels like something is moving through me, trying to create a path.

Is it okay to be doing lots of automatic yoga? Should I add asanas to my routine to reduce friction? Or is this a sign that I should self pace? Is kundalini the force of energy that I feel? What is the subtle nervous system and why does it make me move when it is purified by pranayama? How did it turn out that magic is real in my life?

Thank you all for your contributions to the forum. It has helped me learn and grow so much.

Dogboy

USA
2202 Posts

Posted - Jan 20 2015 :  10:12:27 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
Welcome to the forums, Greymatter!

quote:
Is it okay to be doing lots of automatic yoga? Should I add asanas to my routine to reduce friction? Or is this a sign that I should self pace? Is kundalini the force of energy that I feel? What is the subtle nervous system and why does it make me move when it is purified by pranayama? How did it turn out that magic is real in my life?

Automatic yoga is a sign that kundalini is active and finding obstructions. It is the energy you are subtly feeling; over time automatic yoga will wane as obstructions clear. As long as you feel your practice is stable, as long as you feel no adverse moods or physical symptoms, there is no need to cut back on your practice. Good things are happening!

How is it that magic is real? It is because you are real, you are the magic!
Go to Top of Page

BlueRaincoat

United Kingdom
1730 Posts

Posted - Jan 21 2015 :  06:21:29 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
Welcome Greymatter

quote:
Originally posted by Dogboy
How is it that magic is real? It is because you are real, you are the magic!

Absolutely!
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
AYP Public Forum © Contributing Authors (opinions and advice belong to the respective authors) Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.06 seconds. Snitz Forums 2000