Yamas & Niyamas - Restraints & Observances
 everyday salt in neti pot?
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

maheswari

Lebanon
2516 Posts

Posted - Jul 19 2014 :  03:51:44 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Message
i have been using neti pot since long time
few days ago a yogi friend told me not to put salt everyday in the netipot, because salt every day on the long run dries small nasal passages
i have never read this before
is it true?

BlueRaincoat

United Kingdom
1730 Posts

Posted - Jul 19 2014 :  09:09:02 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
Hello maheswari

The salt is added for comfort. In my experience, doing jala neti without any salt at all is quite unpleasant. I think it's something to do with matching the saltiness of our internal fluids (since blood and lymph contain salt)

Here is an older forum topic called "salt free jala neti" - you might found something useful there.
http://www.aypsite.org/forum/topic....OPIC_ID=5990
Go to Top of Page

maheswari

Lebanon
2516 Posts

Posted - Jul 20 2014 :  04:53:04 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
Thank you Blueraincoat for your reply and the link ;-)
So it seems to me that using water without salt is non sense...and that my friend info isn't accurate
will stick to using salt everyday
Go to Top of Page

BlueRaincoat

United Kingdom
1730 Posts

Posted - Jul 20 2014 :  06:32:11 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
Your friend's warning is not surprising - we hear so many warnings these days that we consume way more salt than our bodies need.
I used to do jala neti daily years ago (these days I find that pranayama clears my nose passages just fine). If I were to start doing it again, I would try to find the lowest concentration of salt that makes the water comfortable to use and I'd stick to that amount. Moderation in everything as they say
Go to Top of Page

maheswari

Lebanon
2516 Posts

Posted - Jul 21 2014 :  02:21:51 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
i just use a small pinch of salt in the pot
personally i cant do much paranayama anymore (over sensitive) and i never felt that pranayama stops nose allergy
Go to Top of Page

Blaskhyrk

Germany
15 Posts

Posted - Sep 28 2014 :  09:05:41 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
I was hearing and information in Dr. House that the water can get to the brain and cause some damages, is it true or only a fiction?
Go to Top of Page

BlueRaincoat

United Kingdom
1730 Posts

Posted - Oct 02 2014 :  4:11:14 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
Sounds unlikely.
However, what you say does remind me of cases of bacteria in water, passing through the membranes in the nose into the brain. There have been cases of people getting meningitis after swimming in water infested with certain type of bacteria. Perhaps this is what you heard in Dr. House?
Go to Top of Page

Chhinnamasta

USA
13 Posts

Posted - Nov 01 2014 :  5:18:06 PM  Show Profile  Visit Chhinnamasta's Homepage  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
Use boiled or sterilized water, not tap! :) There were two documentaries cases of folks dying from using tap water that contained an amoeba called Naegleria fowleri.

I think Neti Pots come with that warning now, to either boil, run the water through a filter or use sterilized bottled.

Edited by - Chhinnamasta on Nov 01 2014 5:30:12 PM
Go to Top of Page

maheswari

Lebanon
2516 Posts

Posted - Nov 02 2014 :  04:37:47 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
I do use bottled water never tap
Go to Top of Page

Radharani

USA
843 Posts

Posted - Nov 06 2014 :  9:22:11 PM  Show Profile  Visit Radharani's Homepage  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
I believe BlueRaincoat is correct about the salt. I personally prefer sea salt and only use a little bit, just the amount that feels comfortable (I had to experiment a little bit to find the right amount). I tried using Himalayan salt for a while but it left a pinkish residue in my neti pot which made me wonder... I do boil the water first after hearing about the rare but deadly Naegleria.
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
AYP Public Forum © Contributing Authors (opinions and advice belong to the respective authors) Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.06 seconds. Snitz Forums 2000