Yamas & Niyamas - Restraints & Observances
 Salt-free jala neti?
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

selenium

USA
4 Posts

Posted - Jul 21 2009 :  12:20:47 PM  Show Profile  Visit selenium's Homepage  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Message
I have congestive heart failure and have become intensely sensitive to salt and can't use a saline wash for my neti pot any more. I've looked online to see if there is anything else I can use to flush my sinuses and the only information I've found so far indicates I can use milk sometimes, but only after a saline wash OR I can rub some oil in my nose to keep the passages moist--but nothing for actual flushing.

Any suggestions? I use a neti pot twice a day in winter as otherwise I get a cold.

Please forgive me if this is not in the right forum. Let me know if I should move it.

AYPforum

351 Posts

Posted - Jul 21 2009 :  12:23:00 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
Moderator note: Topic moved for better placement
Go to Top of Page

Shanti

USA
4854 Posts

Posted - Jul 21 2009 :  12:23:39 PM  Show Profile  Visit Shanti's Homepage  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
Have you ever tried salt-free jala neti?
Go to Top of Page

selenium

USA
4 Posts

Posted - Jul 21 2009 :  12:26:26 PM  Show Profile  Visit selenium's Homepage  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
Just plain warm water? Yes, a few times I've gotten distracted and started to irrigate w/o adding salt and it hurts.
Go to Top of Page

Shanti

USA
4854 Posts

Posted - Jul 21 2009 :  12:44:13 PM  Show Profile  Visit Shanti's Homepage  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
Here is my reason for asking.. there is at least one person I know at the forum who does a somewhat neti practice with plain water http://www.aypsite.org/forum/topic....D=2952#25799.
To me (like you) it is uncomfortable, but if one person can do it, there may be many who can and I thought maybe you could be one of them. Guess not.

I am guessing you have tired different kinds of salts right? Not just the ones that come in the packets with the neti pot.
I have been using this one and it is wonderful (the first one on that page)
http://www.calibex.com/sinus-genie/compare-html

Have you tried or thought about trying amaroli neti?
http://www.aypsite.org/319.html
Using Urine with Nasal Wash
Using urine with nasal wash is called mutra neti, rather than jala neti (Lesson 313), and it is an age-old practice. Even so, it is an unconventional practice whose drawbacks may exceed its benefits much of the time. It is not recommended as a daily practice, except for short durations when the inner call for it is strong, or possibly in cases where there is a marked need for cleansing and healing in the nasal passages and/or sinuses. If there is a medical condition, a doctor’s advice should be obtained so the option for the benefits of modern medicine will also be there for the treatment of any serious condition.

As with jala neti, salt content is the main determinant of comfort in mutra neti. Too much salt, like in seawater or most undiluted urine, can cause discomfort. Diluting the urine with water will reduce the salt content if this is necessary. It can be a tricky business, because the salt content of urine can vary from day to day. If we wish to practice mutra neti, but are deterred by the concentration or odor, just a few drops in our neti solution will be a good place to start. Some additional salt may be required to find the right balance for comfort. Once we become familiar with the practice, the urine content can be increased with less salt added, like that. Everyone has their own ideal salt level that is comfortable in the delicate nasal passages and sinuses.

Sorry could not be of more help.
Go to Top of Page

Shanti

USA
4854 Posts

Posted - Jul 21 2009 :  12:48:50 PM  Show Profile  Visit Shanti's Homepage  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
PS: And welcome to the forums Selenium
Go to Top of Page

selenium

USA
4 Posts

Posted - Jul 21 2009 :  5:55:25 PM  Show Profile  Visit selenium's Homepage  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
Thanks, Shanti. I use pharmaceutical grade sodium chloride currently w/o problems, but my salt intolerance is increasing. I may try weaning myself off the salt to see if I can tolerate water. Perhaps if I use a more pure water, that might help.

I had run into the urine option when I found the milk. The reports I read indicated that odor can be a problem plus it seems it doesn't really void the need for sodium, at least some or after to get the smell out. I think I will be skipping it.
Go to Top of Page

cosmic

USA
821 Posts

Posted - Jul 21 2009 :  6:53:17 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
quote:
Originally posted by selenium

Just plain warm water? Yes, a few times I've gotten distracted and started to irrigate w/o adding salt and it hurts.

Hello selenium, is it possible that your sinuses need some time to adjust to plain warm water? The first few times I do neti (regular, w/salt) after a long period of not doing it, it usually burns. The burning goes away if I keep doing it regularly.

Don't know if this applies vice-versa....

Welcome to the forums!

!
cosmic
Go to Top of Page

selenium

USA
4 Posts

Posted - Jul 21 2009 :  7:38:47 PM  Show Profile  Visit selenium's Homepage  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
I know what you are saying, which is why I mused above that I may try slowing reducing the salt content to acclimate to no salt (weaning).

Thanks!
Go to Top of Page

Lacinato

USA
98 Posts

Posted - Jul 22 2009 :  11:22:52 PM  Show Profile  Visit Lacinato's Homepage  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
I've done it *many* times without salt, because it's easier (not better, but easier). With cool water, too. You can adjust and I think with warm water, it should adjust quickly.

It could also have been easy for me, from insensitivity on my part. But it seems like it may be possible to adjust... one reason I didn't realize salt was necessary when I started, is that I started washing out my nose with instructions from an acupuncturist. She said to bring my face to the sink and to clean my nose with water, inhaling and exhaling it shallowly ten times, several times a day (hard to describe; she showed me). Doing that could possibly help you adjust, since it would only go in the front part of your nose.
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
AYP Public Forum © Contributing Authors (opinions and advice belong to the respective authors) Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.05 seconds. Snitz Forums 2000