AYPsite.org Forum
 Yamas & Niyamas - Restraints & Observances
 atkin diet yes or no, with kundalini process
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

biz

2 Posts

Posted - Jun 28 2008 :  02:35:18 AM  Show Profile  Visit biz's Homepage  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Message
Dear ones!

hello!

I am going through the process of kundali awakaning and I am thinking to switch on to Atkin's diet. I am wrting an overview of Atkin's diet as follows;

maximum of 20 grams of carbohydate intake in a day (no starchy vegetables, fruits, grains, bread).

Resulting in Ketosis:
First, the main source of energy for our bodies is carbohydrates. When we have fewer carbs in our body, it must look elsewhere for another source of energy. Next in line is stored body fat. So reducing carbs forces the body to burn fat by using using fat as fuel in place of carbs. This process is called Ketosis. Secondly, carbs stimulate the creation of insulin. Insulin is what converts excess carbs to fat. So when you have less carbs you have less insulin and therefore create less new fat.

Is it alright to follow this diet while going through the process of kundalini awakening? Or Will This Diet create problems?

Edited by - biz on Jun 28 2008 02:39:58 AM

biz

2 Posts

Posted - Jun 28 2008 :  06:04:23 AM  Show Profile  Visit biz's Homepage  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
basically this is NO-CARBS diet. carbs totally eliminated from one's daily diet.
Go to Top of Page

Hannah

38 Posts

Posted - Jul 02 2008 :  3:39:28 PM  Show Profile  Visit Hannah's Homepage  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
My experience is that Shakti will let you know. For some, it will be prime rib for breakfast and others, it will be totally vegan. Try it, see how you respond, and watch your dreams. Shakti dreams are VERY vivid.

Edited by - Hannah on Jul 02 2008 8:19:09 PM
Go to Top of Page

Scott

USA
969 Posts

Posted - Jul 02 2008 :  7:35:55 PM  Show Profile  Visit Scott's Homepage  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
If you want to do this to lose weight, it's not a good idea. I'm speaking from mostly a nutritional point of view here. My dad went on this (along with others I've known) and all the weight they lose, they gain back. When they lose the weight, they look starved and sick. Just not a good idea.

My opinion is that it's best to keep eating normally, just cut back. Take 20% of the food off of your plate. Focus on fruits and veggies. If you get a craving for something, like ice cream, have a small bowl. Get some exercise, like go for a daily 40 min walk or something. This will be the best way to lose weight, and the weight that you lose will stay off more than a fad diet.

Good luck.
Go to Top of Page

AYPforum

351 Posts

Posted - Jul 02 2008 :  9:23:03 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
Moderator note: Topic moved for better placement
Go to Top of Page

brother neil

USA
752 Posts

Posted - Jul 27 2008 :  8:30:05 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
Biz, I did this diet myself and in one month lost 25 lbs as soon as I went back to my previous eating habits because I felt sick on the no carbs diet, I gained the weiht back quickly. An option of what you can do. Many people say carbs and proteins are bad togethor, so you can have an atkins deit meal in the morning, have some carbs and vegies at lunch, and atkins in the evening. FOr you the answer may be better food combining during your meals. For me I eat only fruit, I eat a variety of fruits each day but I dont mix the fuits I will eat two bananas then an hour later two apples,etc.. I do this until an hour before lunch, have a bread product and some veggies or salad at lunch, thne have some nuts and salad at dinner, something like that. It seems to have energy and work well for me. I even throw in an unhealthy snack some time during the day, usually 3 hours after lunch and a couple hours before dinner. keeps me from going off the deep end
Go to Top of Page

Tibetan_Ice

Canada
758 Posts

Posted - Jul 28 2008 :  12:30:10 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
quote:
Originally posted by biz

basically this is NO-CARBS diet. carbs totally eliminated from one's daily diet.

quote:
Originally posted by scott
If you want to do this to lose weight, it's not a good idea. I'm speaking from mostly a nutritional point of view here. My dad went on this (along with others I've known) and all the weight they lose, they gain back. When they lose the weight, they look starved and sick. Just not a good idea.

Hi Biz and Scott
A few years ago, I went on the Atkins Diet and lost 70 lbs in 11 months.
During the induction period, which is at the beginning of the diet, you are supposed to eat no more than 20 grams of carbs a day. That kicks your body into fat-burning mode. After that, you increase your carbs gradually until such point as you no longer lose weight, and then you back off of the carbs until you do.

What I learned is that I had to keep my diet at about 25 grams of carbs per day to keep losing weight. And, when you get stalled, you eat spaghetti for a couple of days. That works well.

For example, on the Atkins Diet I would eat 4 strips of bacon, two eggs with mayo and a cup of coffee for breakfast. Then I would go to Wendy's for lunch and have a double cheese burger and a Caesar's salad (but I wouldn't eat the bun).

For supper I would eat 7 oz of steak, 70 grams of steamed cauliflower and 70 grams of asparagus. For desert, I would eat 1/3 cup of whipped cream and 50 grams of frozen blueberries (or strawberries).

The thing I loved about the Atkins diet is that you are never hungry! And, when ketosis kicks in, your brain becomes a lot clearer and works better. Buy some ketosis strips (which diabetics use) to keep track.

After the diet is over, you are supposed to find your set point. This is the point at which you do not gain weight. So, you increase your carbs gradually until you start to gain weight and then back off a little. If you don't do that, and you go back to eating the way you used to eat, of course you will put the weight back on. Most people can eat 70 grams of carbs per day and not gain weight.

For the most part, if you stay away from potatoes, anything white like starchy foods, white rice and sugar, most fruit(too much sugar) you do fine. Also, you can't eat a lot of meat because excess protein is converted into glucose in the blood..

And, a big myth in modern nutrition is that fat causes you to gain weight. Actually, you can't gain weight from eating just fat. The most efficacious diet is eating straight fat. The body can't store fat, it can only burn it. But, be aware that there are good fats and bad fats. Stay away from saturated fats and trans fats. Strive more for the omega 3 - 6 fats.

Oh yes, and I ate a lot of ice cream on Atkins. The fat in the ice cream lowers the glycemic index of the ice cream so it doesn't spike your blood sugars like regular carbs. But read the labels and try to find a lower carb icecream (some companies put tons of sugar in their ice cream), some don't. I like Hagendaas dark chocolate ice cream.

Also, I did eat a lot of Splenda (carb free sweetener). But, it contains maltitol which eventually gives you the runs. The best thing to do is to detach from the sweet taste.

Lastly, you will lose more inches off of your gut if you walk for more than 20 minutes per day. It takes 20 minutes for your body to kick into "remove the fat on my gut" mode. Anything longer is a bonus.

Just recently, I saw on the news that the Atkins Diet is the best for removing the most weight quickly. And, suprisingly, the Atkins Diet also lowers the bad cholesterol, which is counter intuitive.

When I did Atkins, I used nutrition software so that I could monitor the nutrients and make sure I was getting enough of everything. If I didn't I compensated with supplements. I tracked my diet and body stats for all 11 months. I learned a lot... like too much salt raises your blood pressure and too much protein stop weightloss.

Does Shakti like Atkins? I don't know. Since I've been heavily into meditation, I have been vegetarian for 10 days but have started to eat meat a bit again. The main thing is not to eat so much food. The more food you are digesting, the less prana you have for other things. When I am hungry or finished digesting, my hands and face heat up more easily with slow breathing. That's how I know it's time to meditate again. Also, meditation slows your metabolism so you can eat less.

And, always remember, when Gopi Krishna was almost dead, he ate some easily digestible meat and that is what he thinks saved his life.

TI
Go to Top of Page

maynard

USA
23 Posts

Posted - May 17 2009 :  7:21:10 PM  Show Profile  Visit maynard's Homepage  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
The Atkins, along with other common "fad" diets, are basically products to make someone money. They may dabble in a few fundemental ideas surrounding the topic of weightloss. Like many above have already said, it is effective for fast weightloss, specifically for those who eat a lot of carbs. The fact that it works so well, is the same reason its only temporary. It is a strict diet that restricts an important macronutrient that is required by the body to sustain a healthy life. If you are aware of the role of carbs, and how your body adapts to the increase/decrease of them it CAN work.

My advise if you want to loose weight only one time. Change your diet, and gear it towards health and balance. Add in exercise and increase the frequency and intensity slowly. Avoid the bad carbs, meaning sugary proccessed products, cereal, poptarts, pop, fruit juce, white bread, potatotes, pasta, and rice. Eat only organic whole grain bread, pasta, brown rice, oatmeal for your carb sources, as well as vegetables and fruit. Eat veggies and protein with 5 out of 6 meals. Do not eat 3-4 hours before bed. Never skip meals, make sure to eat every 3-4 hours. Simply switching to healthy, primarily organic food, and avoiding processed sugary carbs, will cause most people a decent chunk of weightloss.
Go to Top of Page

yogani

USA
5196 Posts

Posted - May 17 2009 :  8:02:23 PM  Show Profile  Visit yogani's Homepage  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
Hi All:

Everything you ever wanted to know about diet, but were afraid to ask -- a 4 minute AYP video called "Are we what we eat?"

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=64rz_nX-kLE

The guru is in you.

Go to Top of Page

emc

2072 Posts

Posted - May 18 2009 :  12:50:57 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
Haha, Yogani! Excellent!
Go to Top of Page

yogani

USA
5196 Posts

Posted - May 18 2009 :  09:49:13 AM  Show Profile  Visit yogani's Homepage  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
Go to Top of Page

Lacinato

USA
98 Posts

Posted - May 18 2009 :  8:44:58 PM  Show Profile  Visit Lacinato's Homepage  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
Nice! I have the book, but it's nice to hear it, too. I am always amazed at how quickly some make dietary changes. It took me years to make the changes I have made (to stop desiring meat, for example, and then fried foods, etc). I suspect the next step will involve eating less food, but it's not anything I am in control of... except that forcing the next step may make things take longer (make me hungrier)! :)
Go to Top of Page

JDas

USA
74 Posts

Posted - May 20 2009 :  9:46:34 PM  Show Profile  Visit JDas's Homepage  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
The only way you are going to lose weight and keep it off is to change the way you eat. The O N L Y way. I dropped 70 lbs starting with Weight Watchers and more or less continued that habit. Ayurveda advises humans to eat three meals, to allow the food to digest--and you will know this has completed when you are hungry(genuinely) again. Be comfortable being a little hungry. By eating continuously throughout the day, you are screwing up the digestion system and its expectations. Not good for your intestines and your colon. Maybe start out with a kitcheri cleanse, a couple or more days just eating kitcheri which is very nutritious but not demanding on the digestion system then start eating just three meals a day, more or less as much as you want. I ate A LOT of vegetable soup.

My two cents. And I wouldn't touch the Atkins diet as eating that much protein is very demanding of your digestive system, but that's me.

Love

Jon

quote:
Originally posted by biz

Dear ones!

hello!

I am going through the process of kundali awakaning and I am thinking to switch on to Atkin's diet. I am wrting an overview of Atkin's diet as follows;

maximum of 20 grams of carbohydate intake in a day (no starchy vegetables, fruits, grains, bread).

Resulting in Ketosis:
First, the main source of energy for our bodies is carbohydrates. When we have fewer carbs in our body, it must look elsewhere for another source of energy. Next in line is stored body fat. So reducing carbs forces the body to burn fat by using using fat as fuel in place of carbs. This process is called Ketosis. Secondly, carbs stimulate the creation of insulin. Insulin is what converts excess carbs to fat. So when you have less carbs you have less insulin and therefore create less new fat.

Is it alright to follow this diet while going through the process of kundalini awakening? Or Will This Diet create problems?

Go to Top of Page

solo

USA
167 Posts

Posted - May 25 2009 :  10:41:39 AM  Show Profile  Visit solo's Homepage  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
First and foremost, I do not believe that atkinds is healthy. It is a diet that was orignially designed as a temproary measure for obese people to quickly lose weight prior to surgery. Atkins then saw a way to exploit this concept by marketing it to the mass public. It will help you to lose weight quickly, but is not really a miantainable life style. You will eventually regain all the weight you lose and more when you resume to your normal diet. I do not reccomend the Atkins diet to anyone.

As for a diet that is good for your spiritual journey, that probably differs significantly person to person. But for me, a good diet has been mostly fresh fruits and veggies. Brown rice and whole grains, fish, oat bran, etc. I got my diet guidelines from my accupuncturist and they have been helpful for me.
Go to Top of Page

sagebrush

USA
292 Posts

Posted - May 25 2009 :  11:56:22 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
Do you thinks Adkins motive was to exploit people or do you think that maybe he truly felt he was helping all the people who were severly obese and needed to shed the weight? And the profits followed or not?

Go to Top of Page

solo

USA
167 Posts

Posted - May 25 2009 :  12:34:25 PM  Show Profile  Visit solo's Homepage  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
I never met or spoke to Mr. Atkins, so it is tough to say. Exploit may have been a strong word. I think he saw an opportunity to make a lot of money and took it. The products his company sold were and are very expensive. He was certainly in it to make money whether his intentions were good or not. Of course, there is nothing wrong with making money. The biggest problem I have with his diet is that it is not a sustainable, healthy way to eat and that is what he sold it as. I feel like he misled the public.
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
AYP Public Forum © Contributing Authors (opinions and advice belong to the respective authors) Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.05 seconds. Snitz Forums 2000