Discussions on AYP Deep Meditation and Samyama
 meditation and ear plugs
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

psychicexplorer

USA
35 Posts

Posted - Feb 07 2011 :  8:49:50 PM  Show Profile  Visit psychicexplorer's Homepage  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Message
I have some headphone style ear plugs. While doing deep meditation I kept being drawn to the sound of a television a few rooms away. My question is if it is a good idea to use the ear plugs or if I should do without and just try and focus the mind on the mantra to the exclusion of any possible distractions. Thanks.

Chiron

Russia
397 Posts

Posted - Feb 08 2011 :  03:55:54 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
1 vote for ear plugs
Go to Top of Page

maheswari

Lebanon
2516 Posts

Posted - Feb 08 2011 :  06:27:27 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
no ear plugs
close the doors of the rooms and let them turn the sound off a bit
Go to Top of Page

kaserdar

91 Posts

Posted - Feb 08 2011 :  07:49:01 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
Don't worry. In the beginning i was worried with the noise around too and was thinking to use plugs. But then I didn't and realize that with daily practice you come to a point where the noise around is not distracting you.
Also there will be times you will have to meditate outside of your place, at office or on a bench on street. So better if you don't get used to ear plugs. Just say the mantra and when your attention goes to a noise outside, comeback to mantra.
Go to Top of Page

Shanti

USA
4854 Posts

Posted - Feb 08 2011 :  07:55:43 AM  Show Profile  Visit Shanti's Homepage  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
Hi Psychicexplorer,
Welcome to the AYP forums.

This has been a common problem with many at the forum. Noise and distraction.
Here are a few topics that may have suggestions that can help:
Meditation with distractions
cotton, earplugs
external noise while meditating

I would personally say not to go in for earplugs etc. during meditation. The best way to deal with noise is treat it like a thought distraction. When you are pulled out of meditation due to noise, gently go back to the mantra.

Don't think and reinforce the distraction as annoying, because then it will be exactly that, annoying... if you treat noise distractions like you treat a thought distraction and gently go back to the mantra, then you will slowly get to a place where you can be in the middle of a crowded shopping mall and be able to meditate without being disturbed. It will take some time. But if you can keep going back to the mantra, you will soon be able to meditate without having to change your surroundings much.

Wish you all the best!!!
Go to Top of Page

Coopdog

USA
9 Posts

Posted - Feb 15 2011 :  10:56:17 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
My teacher says that the earplugs interfere with energy meridians that go to your kidneys or something to that effect, but I find that my overactive mind has to have the isolation of earplugs in order for me to get into a deep meditative state.

However, that does not stop me from doing more dynamic meditation like driving or walking with no ear plugs in. There is gives and takes in everything.

Peace...
Go to Top of Page

Etherfish

USA
3615 Posts

Posted - Feb 16 2011 :  12:11:14 AM  Show Profile  Visit Etherfish's Homepage  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
yes best to get rid of earplugs. But for emergencies there are better ones: Disposable foam ones that you roll between your fingers first, then release in your ears and they expand. very good blockage.I have used these to sleep near loud parties.
Also noise cancelling headphones. You could listen to rainforest or waterfall recordings and have exterior noise cancelled.
Go to Top of Page

Lili

Netherlands
372 Posts

Posted - Feb 25 2011 :  10:13:13 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
Definitely use the earplugs--once meditation is well established getting distracted/needing earplugs will disappear on its own. It may be years before it does, but it doesn't matter--it will be your own pace that decides it. Meanwhile no need to deprive yourself of concentration by removing some fo the background noise using earplugs. Cheers&best of luck, Lili
Go to Top of Page

technoyogi

Canada
158 Posts

Posted - Mar 28 2015 :  4:08:05 PM  Show Profile  Visit technoyogi's Homepage  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
I am using earplugs and meditate in the dark. That is my version of a himalayan cave lol. And it still does not always block out sounds nearby.

I expect that when I travel there will be even more sounds. I expect there will be times where I am forced to do my meditations on airplanes, in cars, so for now when I can optimize things I do. When I can't, I won't, and it won't stop me from practicing.

I may switch things up over time, but for now I figure I can use the extra help in inducing pratyahara. There seems to be no shortage of purification going on given the number of times my mind goes off on random thoughts, feelings, and sensations even though I am in a dark closet with earplugs and cushy cushions...
Go to Top of Page

riptiz

United Kingdom
741 Posts

Posted - Mar 28 2015 :  5:10:42 PM  Show Profile  Visit riptiz's Homepage  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
Hi,
But you could always listen to the Divine Sound on your mp3 player and have the best of both worlds.
L&L
Dave
Go to Top of Page

Dogboy

USA
2207 Posts

Posted - Mar 28 2015 :  7:07:51 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
Pratyahara has many transparencies, sound being one. I used earplugs early for a month or so, until DM "took", and then they became the distraction! The clock ticking, the neighbor mowing the lawn, the faraway woodpecker, all become another layer in the pratyahara cake.
Go to Top of Page

technoyogi

Canada
158 Posts

Posted - Mar 28 2015 :  7:46:07 PM  Show Profile  Visit technoyogi's Homepage  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
OK, that makes sense Dogboy. I think I will try going 50 50 for now see where that goes, as I can't really say as yet that DM has "taken" just yet. Though if you could elaborate on what that meant for you I'd love to hear more for reference
Go to Top of Page

Bodhi Tree

2972 Posts

Posted - Mar 28 2015 :  8:15:09 PM  Show Profile  Visit Bodhi Tree's Homepage  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
quote:
Originally posted by Dogboy

The clock ticking, the neighbor mowing the lawn, the faraway woodpecker, all become another layer in the pratyahara cake.

Precisely. Nice description, Dogboy. Thank you.
Go to Top of Page

Dogboy

USA
2207 Posts

Posted - Mar 28 2015 :  10:35:50 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
quote:
OK, that makes sense Dogboy. I think I will try going 50 50 for now see where that goes, as I can't really say as yet that DM has "taken" just yet. Though if you could elaborate on what that meant for you I'd love to hear more for reference

At some point DM began to feel like I was "plugging in", much like a phone to a charger. There are elements of rising energy while falling deeper into the soup, all without effort, all in surrender, the mantra soft and consistant. Of course words and metaphors don't complete the experience, so I'm afraid this will have to suffice .
Go to Top of Page

technoyogi

Canada
158 Posts

Posted - Mar 29 2015 :  12:14:48 AM  Show Profile  Visit technoyogi's Homepage  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
That suffices for where I am now Dogboy, thanks. The analogy is nice and makes sense on some nascent level of what I have had glimmerings of here and there. Even if words cannot do it justice, for now any such advice helps shorten the journey from Here to Here for me, thank you

Tried tonight with no earplugs. I had done this in the past but not while my wife was home. Of course there were added distraction, noise of her in the kitchen was icing for my pratyahara cake tonight, and it was fine, a very good sit overall
Go to Top of Page

Apkallu

France
108 Posts

Posted - Mar 31 2015 :  10:06:18 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
quote:
Originally posted by Dogboy

Pratyahara has many transparencies, sound being one. I used earplugs early for a month or so, until DM "took", and then they became the distraction! The clock ticking, the neighbor mowing the lawn, the faraway woodpecker, all become another layer in the pratyahara cake.

I also had difficulties to go on medidating when disturbed by sharp noises or my girls shouting although I had just made them aware that I would like them to be less noisy for the time of my meditation

The first weeks were hard but since a few weeks (now 3 months ofpractices) I can handle it far better. I think this is a good thing to experiment to judge if we are improving
When I feel trouble coming from the inside, I just let it go as any other sound I could not deal with.

This is also convenient to practice anywhere, anytime !
Go to Top of Page

Prem

Canada
90 Posts

Posted - Apr 06 2015 :  4:35:28 PM  Show Profile  Visit Prem's Homepage  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
I have always been really sensitive to noise and still am. When I began DM I had to closet myself in a room in the basement. Yesterday I thought I would practice in the living room with my hubby practising guitar at other end of house. During SP was a little distracting but by Samyama I was GONE. It was a nice surprise. So persevere and we will all be doing our DM on the train in short order
Go to Top of Page

AYPforum

351 Posts

Posted - Apr 26 2015 :  07:55:45 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
Moderator note: Topic moved for better placement
Go to Top of Page

Blanche

USA
861 Posts

Posted - Apr 26 2015 :  08:35:20 AM  Show Profile  Visit Blanche's Homepage  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
"What does not kill you, makes you stronger." My noisy energetic family made DM a challenge for a while. SInce I could not control them, I decided to try to do something about myself. There are all these stories about people focused on their task to the point of becoming oblivious to their environment. I decided that I should focus more, in the hope that the noise would be less distracting. I did not really hope for any fast results, but after about two weeks meditating with this attitude, the noises "went away" during DM. The method is simple: Follow the DM procedure; when there is a noise, a distraction, allow it without having an emotional reaction to it - no time to get upset, you are busy doing DM; return to the meditation, again and again. It works. I got to verify this last week, when I went to a group meditation. I was surprised at the end, when most of participants complained about the party going on downstairs (it was a public building), and outside, right under the windows. I remembered hearing somethings at the beginning of the sitting, then there were no more noises for me. All these distractions made my DM better. I wonder how this might work for you.
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
AYP Public Forum © Contributing Authors (opinions and advice belong to the respective authors) Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.08 seconds. Snitz Forums 2000