Discussions on AYP Deep Meditation and Samyama
 Apology and solar centering question
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

reidmantra

United Arab Emirates
57 Posts

Posted - May 01 2015 :  4:30:40 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Message
Hello everyone. I wish to start by apologizing to ak33 and bodhi tree for their thoughtful answers to my questions about what does it mean to favor the mantra. Both answers enhanced my understanding. I apologize for not thanking you both until now but I was away and did not read your answers until today 5/1/15 when I got home. My new questions have to do with solar centering. I just began the practice today after reading lesson 368 by yogani on how it is done. I am an under-sensitive meditator and I did not feel heat, vibration, emotion, expansiveness, or anything else when I practiced it today. My questions are: 1. When I tried to think the mantra from my solar area, it felt like I was still repeating it in my mind AND my solar area. Is this normal and if not, how can I correct this problem? 2. Yogani wrote that we do not move our eyes down to the solar area while practicing the technique but we just keep our attention there while thinking the I AM mantra. However, my eyes seem to be automatically drawn down to that solar area. Is this normal and if not, what do I do to correct this problem so I can practice correctly? Thank you in advance for any help or clarification you can give me. Namaste! - Reidmantra

Bodhi Tree

2972 Posts

Posted - May 02 2015 :  12:21:24 AM  Show Profile  Visit Bodhi Tree's Homepage  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
Based on your description, there is nothing to correct, really. You just keep easily favoring the solar plexus when you come back to the mantra. You don't have to worry about trying to control your eyes, and if there is strain, then it's time to lean towards the style of easily favoring, instead of holding a focus.

The eyes may tend to go upward, which is sambhavi mudra. Again, not something to worry about or strain for. It happens naturally as the nervous system opens up. The eyes can be physically nudged a bit towards the brow, while inner awareness is simultaneously giving preference to the solar plexus. This kind of simple multi-tasking happens all the time even if we are not aware of it.

For instance, if you brush your teeth in the morning, your physical eyes may be staring in the mirror, but your mind can somewhere else, can it not? The physical body is an anchor to reference (using the 5 senses) but our awareness is not mandated to stay limited to external appearances for every single moment (unless you're obsessed with "mindfulness", and if you are, I pity your poor soul). But seriously, consciousness is multi-dimensional, mobile, fluid, versatile.

As Gordon Gecko said in Wall Street: "I'm talking about liquid, kid. Rich enough to fly your own jet. Rich enough not to waste time. 50...100 million. A true player."

OK, that's a total diversion, but actually, the "liquid" metaphor is relevant, because awareness can have that kind of elemental quality, amongst many other qualities.

Most importantly, if solar centering is drawing away from the smooth finesse of Deep Meditation, then it's probably best to drop the solar centering and stick with Deep Meditation by itself for a while longer. I've prematurely started enhancements and then had to back off. Totally fine. Just a symptom of raging bhakti, which is supremely good (Once again, as Gordon Gecko said: "Greed for God consciousness is good.")

Trial and error. Live and learn. Self-pacing.
Go to Top of Page

reidmantra

United Arab Emirates
57 Posts

Posted - May 02 2015 :  11:22:10 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
Hi Bodhi tree. Once again, thank you for your thoughtful and informative response to my questions. However, one thing you said is a little confusing. You said that I should favor the solar plexus when I `come back' to the mantra. Does that mean that I should think the mantra initially at the solar area and then take my mind off that area only bringing my attention back there when I have lost the mantra, or do I keep my awareness there throughout the meditation if I can do so easily without strain? Thank you in advance for any clarification you or anyone else on this awesome forum can provide. Namaste! - Reidmantra
Go to Top of Page

Bodhi Tree

2972 Posts

Posted - May 02 2015 :  6:01:35 PM  Show Profile  Visit Bodhi Tree's Homepage  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
You easily favor the solar plexus and the mantra simultaneously, both in the beginning and when you realize you're off of them. There is no deliberate effort to "take the mind off" anything. Getting lost from the solar plexus and mantra is not the result of an intentional maneuver; it just happens as an effect of the cause of easily favoring. Getting lost is a good thing, and you don't have to try to do it. It just happens when you follow this profoundly simple technique.

Cause = Easily favoring
Effect = Getting lost into stillness as the mantra and solar plexus refine

Go to Top of Page

reidmantra

United Arab Emirates
57 Posts

Posted - May 02 2015 :  7:52:55 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
Hi Bodhi Tree. Thank you my wise friend and fellow yogi! I shall keep your answer as a reminder of how my mind can take a simple technique and attempt to complicate it. Your answer, as usual, is clear. I'm actually doing the technique correctly but I just need to convince myself of that fact. Thank you for your patience and your attention to my questions. Just to warn you and everyone else on this forum. I am a VERY SLOW learner. Meditation and yogic techniques do not come easy for me. That is why I love the AYP forum so much. I can read and learn at my own pace and ask questions when I need help (which sadly is quite frequently). I may need to ask the same questions again and again in slightly different ways until the instructions are clear in my mind. I wish to thank you Bodhi Tree and everyone else on this forum who has ever answered any of my past questions. I am grateful to all of you!!! :) Well until my next question! Namaste! - Reidmantra
Go to Top of Page

Dogboy

USA
2201 Posts

Posted - May 03 2015 :  07:05:06 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
Fruit ripens on its own schedule .
Go to Top of Page

Bodhi Tree

2972 Posts

Posted - May 03 2015 :  07:32:39 AM  Show Profile  Visit Bodhi Tree's Homepage  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
You're doing good! All is well. I second Dogboy's motion.
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
AYP Public Forum © Contributing Authors (opinions and advice belong to the respective authors) Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.08 seconds. Snitz Forums 2000