AYP Home | Main Lessons | Tantra Lessons | AYP Plus | Retreats | AYP Books
Profile | Register | Active Topics | Members | Forum FAQ | Search
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 AYPsite.org Forum
 Jnana Yoga/Self-Inquiry - Advaita (Non-Duality)
 pure consciousness vs. the Self
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

wakeupneo

USA
171 Posts

Posted - Jan 13 2011 :  12:29:07 PM  Show Profile  Visit wakeupneo's Homepage  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Message
Why do neo-advaitians claim that they have realized and embodied their unborn/eternal nature upon self-realization(realization that consciousness is their true identity)?

Consciousness can't even transcend deep sleep, what makes them think that consciousness will transcend death?

There is something even more fundamental then consciousness, the absolute? The absolute is the Self, pure consciousness is just a superficial layer.

just a thought,

thats it,
j

cosmic

USA
821 Posts

Posted - Jan 13 2011 :  7:47:40 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
Thanks for bringing this up, J. Hope you're good since we last met.

Something is aware of consciousness, no? But what is aware of that? At what point does this hall of mirrors end?

Sorry, I have no answers. But I share your questions.

Love
cosmic
Go to Top of Page

wakeupneo

USA
171 Posts

Posted - Jan 13 2011 :  9:04:54 PM  Show Profile  Visit wakeupneo's Homepage  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
Nice to connect with you... All is well

There have been quite a bit of criticism of neo-advaitians because of this. Everyone from James Swartz, Ed Muzika, and Anadi are just a few of those that view neo-advaitian realization as incomplete and wholly inadequate.

These highly enlightened souls claim that the hall of mirrors ends with the Absolute(the unmanifested). Consciousness is within the manifested reality. Energetically it is a shift downwards--- I believe Ramana makes mention of this. Also it is quite common in Taoist and Zen literature. The hara is the energetic gateway of the manifested to the unmanifested. Energetically a shift into the absolute happens when the I AM pierces this energetic center and experiences the unmanifested.

If you really look at like the teachings of Nisargadatta he makes a distinction between I AM THAT(consciousness) and prior to consciousness.

Heck he even wrote a book entitled Prior to Consciousness.

Perhaps in AYP terms there is the realization that "I AM THAT" and this gradually then becomes experiencial and there is a shift in one's identity into that. This isn't necessary accompanied experientially by "ALL IS THAT"---- this comes later (prior to consciousness, absolute)

Just seems like a pretty obvious and important distinction that is all too rarely spoken about in spiritual communities/forums.
Go to Top of Page

Kirtanman

USA
1651 Posts

Posted - Jan 14 2011 :  5:57:59 PM  Show Profile  Visit Kirtanman's Homepage  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
Hi WakeUpNeo & All,

Beyond consciousness is awareness.

Awareness itself is pure light; consciousness is reflective. Awareness is called by terms such as the Absolute, Supreme, the Ultimate, Self, Shiva, etc., because nothing precedes or supersedes awareness. All is created from awareness, sustained within awareness, and dissolved back into awareness, while never departing from awareness, or being comprised of anything other than awareness.

Important Note: experience of awareness is not the same as pure changeless, ever-liberated awareness; if it is experienced, it is happening in consciousness -- in reflective awareness.

When clarified, consciousness acts as a clear conduit for awareness; a clear mirror, made of awareness, for reflecting awareness, including the display of all form, gross and subtle, within it.

Reflected awareness is consciousness.

There is only awareness, and its reflection, consciousness.

I hope this is useful.

Wholeheartedly,

Kirtanman

Go to Top of Page

chas

USA
209 Posts

Posted - Jan 14 2011 :  6:46:39 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
quote:

Why do neo-advaitians claim that they have realized and embodied their unborn/eternal nature upon self-realization(realization that consciousness is their true identity)?
quote:

The unborn nature is within the person and everything else. The unborn nature gives rise to the person and everything else. If you feel energy in your sushumna, follow that energy inward and you will find the stillness, the unborn nature. The energy comes from the unborn nature. The energy is like the unborn nature/stillness - dancing. The stillness is the same stillness that one experiences in deep meditation. It is what is permanent and substantial. The form, the dancing, is impermanent and insubstantial. So, the unborn nature becomes embodied by the person through duality. "Form is emptiness, emptiness is form".

Now, if a person is going around saying "I am God, I am all great and powerful etc.", then I would say that that person is delusional. The Father gives rise to the son. As long as you realize that, you can be humble.

quote:

Consciousness can't even transcend deep sleep, what makes them think that consciousness will transcend death?
quote:

I disagree. This is the basic purpose of dream yoga. That is, to train consciousness to abide in non-dual awareness at the moment of sleep and at the moment of physical death.

Edited by - chas on Jan 14 2011 10:40:10 PM
Go to Top of Page

slenten

23 Posts

Posted - Jan 16 2011 :  8:57:07 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
For some people, neo-advaita is a good place to start until they meet the qualifications to begin more comprehensive, systematic inquiry.

Doesn't Anadi describe the Absolute as like death, a state that cannot be maintained without the death of the body (Nirvakalpa Samadhi?). James Swartz would - and has - taken issue with Anadi's views because they are experiential: based on limited states and of a hierarchical structure.

James' view, as a Vedantin, is that, after the hard and fast knowledge that we are
"limitless, non-dual, actionless ordinary awareness," we may come
to realize that we neither exist nor not exist because we know we are the Self.

Now, does that mean that pure Awareness, existing before consciousness is the Self? Isn't the dichotomy of Awareness and consciousness a duality? Wouldn't knowledge of the Self render all of it moot?

Recently, I was reading Jean Dunn's preface to her book "Prior to Consciousness" in which she said that Nisargadatta forbade quoting of scriptures in the last year of his life. It seems he stridently encouraged his students to report their experiences without reference to scriptural authority. This is an interesting challenge: what is happening to me without recourse to Yogic/Vendantic/Advaitic, etc. concepts and descriptions.

I can say that I know a emanating, light-like (a loose similarity to retinal sensation) source of consciousness in the region of the mid-brain that when focused upon seems to be the carrier signal or monitor of other thoughts and bodily sensations. This source can be isolated and is distinct from volitional thought, and, once the mind quiets, a natural deep focus on the area occurs. This energy can be channeled to the chest area and extended to the rest of nervous system so that it all resonates in the same subtle way. From this state, the center of the chest becomes very emotionally subtle, and becomes the predominate, emanating focus. It seems that repeated harmonizing of the nervous system in this way leads to spontaneous, intuitive knowledge and to extremely subtle states of consciousness.

Experience has taught me that isolating these centers is a dead end and that harmonizing the entire nervous system to act as an investigative device is the key to in-depth knowledge and an expansion of the heart.

Edited by - slenten on Jan 19 2011 11:06:45 PM
Go to Top of Page

wakeupneo

USA
171 Posts

Posted - Jan 28 2011 :  10:13:45 AM  Show Profile  Visit wakeupneo's Homepage  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
quote:
Originally posted by slenten

For some people, neo-advaita is a good place to start until they meet the qualifications to begin more comprehensive, systematic inquiry.

Doesn't Anadi describe the Absolute as like death, a state that cannot be maintained without the death of the body (Nirvakalpa Samadhi?). James Swartz would - and has - taken issue with Anadi's views because they are experiential: based on limited states and of a hierarchical structure.

James' view, as a Vedantin, is that, after the hard and fast knowledge that we are
"limitless, non-dual, actionless ordinary awareness," we may come
to realize that we neither exist nor not exist because we know we are the Self.

Now, does that mean that pure Awareness, existing before consciousness is the Self? Isn't the dichotomy of Awareness and consciousness a duality? Wouldn't knowledge of the Self render all of it moot?

Recently, I was reading Jean Dunn's preface to her book "Prior to Consciousness" in which she said that Nisargadatta forbade quoting of scriptures in the last year of his life. It seems he stridently encouraged his students to report their experiences without reference to scriptural authority. This is an interesting challenge: what is happening to me without recourse to Yogic/Vendantic/Advaitic, etc. concepts and descriptions.

I can say that I know a emanating, light-like (a loose similarity to retinal sensation) source of consciousness in the region of the mid-brain that when focused upon seems to be the carrier signal or monitor of other thoughts and bodily sensations. This source can be isolated and is distinct from volitional thought, and, once the mind quiets, a natural deep focus on the area occurs. This energy can be channeled to the chest area and extended to the rest of nervous system so that it all resonates in the same subtle way. From this state, the center of the chest becomes very emotionally subtle, and becomes the predominate, emanating focus. It seems that repeated harmonizing of the nervous system in this way leads to spontaneous, intuitive knowledge and to extremely subtle states of consciousness.

Experience has taught me that isolating these centers is a dead end and that harmonizing the entire nervous system to act as an investigative device is the key to in-depth knowledge and an expansion of the heart.

Slenten,

Anadi describes the initial entry into the absolute state as a death like experience. You sense of self identity gets pulled into the unmanifested, so yes--- if is a death, even in the literal sense. Your sense of being pierces the hara.

The absolute, according to Anadi, once realized can be stabilized and integrated. This process of stabilization and integration is refered to in Zen as being like a "withered tree". All your life force is getting pulled into the hara, it's almost difficult to exist at this point, as there is nothing to do and the vital force is not circulating towards your higher centers.

Once stabilized however, the vital forces continues to function normally. The sense of identity completely encompasses consciousness, the heart and is anchored in the unmanifest4ed - the absolute--- this is more or less the supreme state according to Anadi's teachings. Please don;t quote me on this as Anadi's teachings are very percise and detailed... this is my rough understanding.

Personally I feel Swartz puts way too little emphasis on the energetic/experiential aspect. Essepcially when reading his auto-biography it's chop full of how his guru pierced all his granthis and raised his kundalini to the crown.

It's interesting that the focus for you has shifted from the mid-brain to the chest area --- this is accurate according to the teachings of Ramana and Anadi --- is this something that you did consciously?

best,
j

Edited by - wakeupneo on Jan 28 2011 10:15:05 AM
Go to Top of Page

CarsonZi

Canada
3189 Posts

Posted - Jan 28 2011 :  11:42:26 AM  Show Profile  Visit CarsonZi's Homepage  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
Interesting thread.

Personally, I used to LOVE to debate about stuff like this (or anything really ). But recently, not really sure when, but sometime in the recent past there was a shift. Not a sudden shift, but in hindsight, there has been a definite move away from any desire to debate, be right, or to classify/define things. Awareness, consciousness, absolute, neo-advaita, these are all just words. And they mean different things to different people. None of these words are TRUTH. And here, there has been a shift towards desiring only Truth. And Truth can only be known, it can't be (adaquately) captured with words. This is where my recent fascination with the present moment has come in. Recently, this desire for Truth has developed into a need to abide as deeply as possible in what I've been calling "present moment awareness." But again, those are just words and they don't even scratch the surface of what this actually IS. It isn't even experienced. It is just KNOWN. Debate, classification, definition, these are all useful, but only to an extent. Eventually these will all drop away into the knowing (within the heart) of what it is we are all talking about here.

Love!

Go to Top of Page

chas

USA
209 Posts

Posted - Jan 28 2011 :  12:17:19 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
quote:
Originally posted by CarsonZi

Awareness, consciousness, absolute, neo-advaita, these are all just words. And they mean different things to different people. None of these words are TRUTH. And here, there has been a shift towards desiring only Truth. And Truth can only be known, it can't be (adaquately) captured with words.

Agreed!

Edited by - chas on Jan 28 2011 12:24:45 PM
Go to Top of Page

slenten

23 Posts

Posted - Feb 03 2011 :  01:02:43 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
quote:
Originally posted by wakeupneo

Slenten,

Anadi describes the initial entry into the absolute state as a death like experience. You sense of self identity gets pulled into the unmanifested, so yes--- if is a death, even in the literal sense. Your sense of being pierces the hara.

The absolute, according to Anadi, once realized can be stabilized and integrated. This process of stabilization and integration is refered to in Zen as being like a "withered tree". All your life force is getting pulled into the hara, it's almost difficult to exist at this point, as there is nothing to do and the vital force is not circulating towards your higher centers.

Once stabilized however, the vital forces continues to function normally. The sense of identity completely encompasses consciousness, the heart and is anchored in the unmanifest4ed - the absolute--- this is more or less the supreme state according to Anadi's teachings. Please don;t quote me on this as Anadi's teachings are very percise and detailed... this is my rough understanding.

Personally I feel Swartz puts way too little emphasis on the energetic/experiential aspect. Essepcially when reading his auto-biography it's chop full of how his guru pierced all his granthis and raised his kundalini to the crown.

It's interesting that the focus for you has shifted from the mid-brain to the chest area --- this is accurate according to the teachings of Ramana and Anadi --- is this something that you did consciously?

best,
j

Sorry, I wandered away from this thread...

Yes, as you point out, Swartz and his lineage don't deal with the energetic/experiential side of things. Swartz' teacher held a dim view of yogic practices which is interesting since he took sanyas from Swami Sivananda who sent him to Himalaya-residing, Swami Tapovanam who taught him for 8 years. Tapovanam seemed to be a great influence on all of them and he didn't discourage the various yogas for bringing the mind under control.

I followed Anadi's method of heart inquiry but found that my mind lacked sufficient purity and my energy was not fully under control. Once my mind was quiet and kundalini was subtle and useful, I had more sensitivity for the task.

I wonder if Anadi's Absolute is a shutting down of the brain to the reticular formation and its path to the brainstem which does eventually feed into the solar plexus and on to the perineum. He does say that the Absoute State is not in everyone's destiny and seems to have de-emphasized it in his writings.

Is his Hara located in the solar plexus? This is where my mileage varies. If the thrust of his current teachings focus on the soul which is in a higher center than the lower, emotional center in the solar plexus then wouldn't we want to use the purity of the mind to link with the higher emotional center in the chest area and increase its resonance rather than dropping or lowering the energy? It seems to me that one risks unwanted kundalini spikes which have to be handled, and, while they can be repurposed, it does disquiet the mind... they can, however, be captured quickly and guided to the heart but then subtle contemplation is lost. So, it seems that these approaches are at cross purposes.

But getting back to your original post, at the beginning of this
topic, the intriguing question of what is before pure consciousness,
is very tantalizing. Can we say that pure consciousness is a layer?
Or, is it the carrier signal of the brain, the most basic wave, in
the oldest part of that organ, a region with nervous connections
and big junctions all the way down to the root in the perineum.

Can there be something more fundamental than that? Physiologically, no,
psychologically, perhaps yes, fine intuition does return the knowledge of
a mysterious feeling of never existing yet apparently
existing. Is this a trick of the brain? Or, from another perspective,
is merging the energy of pure consciousness with the heart, a door
to the Self? We can experience a basic, truth about ourselves when we
exist from that entity of light which is distinct when the nervous
system is harmonized from pure consciousness?

From that perspective, pure consciousness could be seen as a component
in the structure of the Self, or, a layer of understanding to be
peeled away to reveal its function in the whole.

Edited by - slenten on Feb 03 2011 4:02:42 PM
Go to Top of Page

Holy

796 Posts

Posted - Feb 03 2011 :  3:28:08 PM  Show Profile  Visit Holy's Homepage  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
The hint to deep sleep is good for honest inquiry.

I'm more with Carson in this manner. The happening of writing here is also a hint that I'm not fully qualified to answer this.

But (=P cheaty mind wants to share) I know and remember that there is even something beyond awareness. And whatever you do, how sure you feel to know, you can't even give a hint about that. Transcendence of presence is the best word that comes near, but still gives no hint.

There are two guys I remember from reading back in those times who spoke about the end of awareness/being. One is Osho and the other is Maitreya Ishwara, who had many teachers, Osho was one of them.

From my own experience, "I was in touch with this we try to speak about and fail every second again and again" whenever prolonged crown-practices were done.

I also like Gurunath's "That about naught may be said".

From Maitreya Ishwara's book unity:
quote:
p. 381 Gate Gate Paragate

‘Gate Gate Paragate, Parasamgate, Bodhi Svaha!’
Prajna Paramita is the great transcendent mantra; it is
also called the great bright mantra, the supreme mantra,
the unsurpassable.
The esoteric meaning of the mantra relates to the three
stages of enlightenment. This commentary is given to
celebrate Osho's enlightenment day.
Gate, gate means: Gone, gone - gone from suffering to
liberation.This is the first stage of enlightenment. Ego is
transcended and you merge with the Being in the fifth
body. Being is so vast, so beautiful, such love and bliss,
and still there is much more.
Paragate means: Gone beyond - gone all the way to
the other shore. In the second stage of enlightenment
Being is transcended and your individual soul merges
with Paramatman, the sixth body.
The sixth body is pure awareness, the cosmic witness
with no trace of thought. Many mystics remain at this
stage with the complete opening of the third eye.
Parasamgate indicates: The ultimate liberation, full enlightenment,
the seventh body of Source where even the
cosmic fire of the witness is transcended.
On 21 March 1953, Osho passed through all three
stages of enlightenment in one night.
‘Bodhi Svaha!’ What an awakening!
quote:
p. 402 Enlightenment

Direct spiritual experience transcends the mind and
cannot be accurately communicated: the truth cannot be
spoken. Words and concepts are but pale indicators of
immense and unspeakable mysteries - until you know
what they mean from direct experience.
The concept of enlightenment is ambiguous. When enlightenment
actually happens, however, it is a dramatic
event that is far from a mere concept.
Enlightenment has three stages. The first stage is the
permanent merging of your soul with the fifth body, a
jump out of ego into Being. Most souls live at least one
life in the first stage of awakening.
In the second stage the third eye opens and reveals the
potent awareness of the witness. Enlightenment quite literally
happens. You are consumed by the awesome light
of the sixth body, the Cosmic Being or witness.
The last stage is the seventh body, nirvana, extinction
of the seeds of desire and transcendence of the witness.
It requires the full opening of the seventh chakra, the
thousand-petalled lotus. Now all lust for life has gone
forever.
After the seventh body is mahaparanirvana, beyond
the great ultimate enlightenment, when you leave a body
for the last time and your soul disappears back to Source
forever.
These words are just concepts; they are fingers pointing
to the moon. Your empirical verification is required.
Maitreya himself meditated about 20 years and went through all three stages he describes. One part of the book is like an autobiography.
Here's the link: http://www.ishwara.com/pdf/Unity11.pdf

Edited by - Holy on Feb 03 2011 4:17:52 PM
Go to Top of Page

slenten

23 Posts

Posted - Feb 03 2011 :  4:46:16 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
quote:
Originally posted by CarsonZi

Interesting thread.

Recently, this desire for Truth has developed into a need to abide as deeply as possible in what I've been calling "present moment awareness." But again, those are just words and they don't even scratch the surface of what this actually IS. It isn't even experienced. It is just KNOWN. Debate, classification, definition, these are all useful, but only to an extent. Eventually these will all drop away into the knowing (within the heart) of what it is we are all talking about here.

Love!

I know what you mean, Carson, there are times when experiential inquiry if foremost and best. What have you found there?

Paradoxically, I find that the mind (intellect) can be an aid to subtle inquiry: it becomes a sharp discriminitive instrument, and,
is more thoroughly tamed - in alignment - with Knowing.

It's a part of thorough, on-going, complete inquiry - the
essence of Jnana.

Edited by - slenten on Feb 04 2011 3:00:22 PM
Go to Top of Page

wakeupneo

USA
171 Posts

Posted - Feb 04 2011 :  12:38:30 PM  Show Profile  Visit wakeupneo's Homepage  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
quote:

Yes, as you point out, Swartz and his lineage don't deal with the energetic/experiential side of things. Swartz' teacher held a dim view of yogic practices which is interesting since he took sanyas from Swami Sivananda who sent him to Himalaya-residing, Swami Tapovanam who taught him for 8 years. Tapovanam seemed to be a great influence on all of them and he didn't discourage the various yogas for bringing the mind under control.

I followed Anadi's method of heart inquiry but found that my mind lacked sufficient purity and my energy was not fully under control. Once my mind was quiet and kundalini was subtle and useful, I had more sensitivity for the task.

I wonder if Anadi's Absolute is a shutting down of the brain to the reticular formation and its path to the brainstem which does eventually feed into the solar plexus and on to the perineum. He does say that the Absoute State is not in everyone's destiny and seems to have de-emphasized it in his writings.

Is his Hara located in the solar plexus? This is where my mileage varies. If the thrust of his current teachings focus on the soul which is in a higher center than the lower, emotional center in the solar plexus then wouldn't we want to use the purity of the mind to link with the higher emotional center in the chest area and increase its resonance rather than dropping or lowering the energy? It seems to me that one risks unwanted kundalini spikes which have to be handled, and, while they can be repurposed, it does disquiet the mind... they can, however, be captured quickly and guided to the heart but then subtle contemplation is lost. So, it seems that these approaches are at cross purposes.

But getting back to your original post, at the beginning of this
topic, the intriguing question of what is before pure consciousness,
is very tantalizing. Can we say that pure consciousness is a layer?
Or, is it the carrier signal of the brain, the most basic wave, in
the oldest part of that organ, a region with nervous connections
and big junctions all the way down to the root in the perineum.

Can there be something more fundamental than that? Physiologically, no,
psychologically, perhaps yes, fine intuition does return the knowledge of
a mysterious feeling of never existing yet apparently
existing. Is this a trick of the brain? Or, from another perspective,
is merging the energy of pure consciousness with the heart, a door
to the Self? We can experience a basic, truth about ourselves when we
exist from that entity of light which is distinct when the nervous
system is harmonized from pure consciousness?

From that perspective, pure consciousness could be seen as a component
in the structure of the Self, or, a layer of understanding to be
peeled away to reveal its function in the whole.

[quote]

Weird thing about Swartz--- considering that energetic transformation was such a potent force in his transformation.

Diving into the heart requires a tremendous amount of sensitivity. You are right, not many are able to do so as they lack this characteristic.

As far as the absolute (hara is located just below the belly buttom) the hara is also the location of where the life force eminates. The life force eminates from the hara down to the perineum and up the spine. The asbolute is the unmanifested. It is the ground of all, the gravity of the entire universe. It isn't so much a method of shutting down your brain as it is existentially entering the unmanifested-- This is done by deep surrender and letting go. The life force must be surrendered back to the source and through the source. In zen, shikantaza is the method of returning to this source. This is the 'big death' that is often spoken about in many traditions. Anadi states that after the absolute is pierced, it is neccessary to stablize this condition, at this point one's identity becomes rooted in the unmanifested, while integrated with the other aspects--consciousness/heart.

Yes, this isn't the destiny of the vast majority of seekers. According to Anadi only a few adepts have realized this state---UG Krisnamurti, Nisargadatta, Osho. Anadi also boldly claims that Ramana Maharshi did not realize the absolute and never transcended the Self.

Carson, In terms of these discussions... of course... concepts/talking are all nonsense and can only act as mere pointers. Concepts/talking are what got us into the mess in the first place. Paradoxically the more you conceptualize the further you get from the truth.

However, it seems as you remember who you are existentially there is also an evolution on the level of one's intelligence. This intelligence is often times neccessary to keep one in reality as the collective will undoubtly pull one back in. The intelligence is what ultimate solidifies one's existential realizations.

Having said that, these little black lines organized in a systematic manner which we all interperate and react to in a universal manner are giving me a headache :)

Edited by - wakeupneo on Feb 04 2011 4:32:10 PM
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
AYP Public Forum © Contributing Authors (opinions and advice belong to the respective authors) Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.08 seconds. Snitz Forums 2000