AYP Home | Main Lessons | Tantra Lessons | AYP Plus | Retreats | AYP Books
Profile | Register | Active Topics | Members | Forum FAQ | Search
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 AYPsite.org Forum
 Jnana Yoga/Self-Inquiry - Advaita (Non-Duality)
 distinction between awareness & mind, Now what?
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

beetsmyth

USA
104 Posts

Posted - Feb 04 2011 :  4:10:08 PM  Show Profile  Visit beetsmyth's Homepage  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Message
Ok so for the most part that distinction is there between awareness and mind ...it came about primarily through negation.....

But now what?

When this awareness is aware of itself 'things" definitely begin to happen ......feelings of energy flowing and opening on the top of the skull, forehead, etc ... the in and out breath momentarily became One breath with no distinctions.... and things are getting rather interesting (says the mind which is not me)

According to Nisargadatta ....now its just a matter of staying in this awareness devoid of Mind/thought/ego .... is that pretty much it?

(also it seems some days the distinction between mind and awareness is clear, while other days and times and depending on work, whose around etc ..there is a falling back into mind-indentity)

Edited by - beetsmyth on Feb 04 2011 4:26:35 PM

wakeupneo

USA
171 Posts

Posted - Feb 04 2011 :  4:23:37 PM  Show Profile  Visit wakeupneo's Homepage  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
According to Nisargadatta....

Stay with that sense of I AM, if you have access to it...

Stay with it constantly and consciously.

If you feel energy... notice that energy is just an object of attention, but you are the subject.

Nisargadatta used to say, "anything that can be perceived is NOT you"

Continue to stay with that sense of I am, continue the negation...

Slowly your sense of identity will shift into "that"

According to Nisargadatta, after staying with the I AM dilligently one find day you will shift into the absolute.

This is Nisargadatta's teachings in a nutshell.

It's been my experience that the abidance must be very frequent... abiding for an hour or two won't really cut it. You need to stay with it constantly and fight like hell to keep it. Over time, it becomes easier and more natural. Over time you become "that"... overtime "that" shifts into the absolute.

This is a beautiful/famous step by step graphic of the process according to Zen, it called the 10 ox. http://swamij.com/zen-ox.htm

I would recommend Pardeep Apte's Nisargadatta Gita, you can download it for free

http://www.lulu.com/product/paperba...gita/3744366

This is a must read for anybody going down Nisargadatta's path.

j
Go to Top of Page

beetsmyth

USA
104 Posts

Posted - Feb 04 2011 :  4:33:20 PM  Show Profile  Visit beetsmyth's Homepage  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
yeah seen and read about the 10 Ox herding pictures years ago and then just recently.... but in the light of awareness ...now it makes much more sense than ever before....

So you saying "Stay with that sense of I AM, if you have access to it...

Stay with it constantly and consciously."

You mean that awareness correct? Awareness which is aware of things but not those things that is the "I Am"? The observer, the seer....

Also what about kundalini, what about the spirit.... This Awareness(distinct from mind and body, but aware of mind and body) seems to be the soul or a vehicle to enter the absolute... Just an intuition ..

But what about these 2 other factors i.e. Spirit and Kundalini?

Edited by - beetsmyth on Feb 04 2011 4:38:30 PM
Go to Top of Page

wakeupneo

USA
171 Posts

Posted - Feb 04 2011 :  4:53:43 PM  Show Profile  Visit wakeupneo's Homepage  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
quote:
Originally posted by beetsmyth

yeah seen and read about the 10 Ox herding pictures years ago and then just recently.... but in the light of awareness ...now it makes much more sense than ever before....

So you saying "Stay with that sense of I AM, if you have access to it...

Stay with it constantly and consciously."

You mean that awareness correct? Awareness which is aware of things but not those things that is the "I Am"? The observer, the seer....

Also what about kundalini, what about the spirit.... This Awareness(distinct from mind and body, but aware of mind and body) seems to be the soul or a vehicle to enter the absolute... Just an intuition ..

But what about these 2 other factors i.e. Spirit and Kundalini?

Yes, that awareness... the void... pure consciousness... I am "THAT"..... Be "THAT" stay there... The observer yes...

Instead of keeping your attention in a subject >>>> object experience. Turn the attention back on itself... be THAT... abide as THAT.. have a purely subjective experience and hold it... just like in the ox herding pictures... hold the ox, until you've tamed the ox.

Kundalini and spirit... it depends on who you talk to, most advaitists i talk to disregard kundalini/spirit as scenary, just a superficial layer which ultimately needs to be transcended. Many have even gone so far to call it a hinderance, something that you create a sense of identity out of. Something that further solidifies your non-existant body/mind/energy.

However, personally I feel that shakti amplifies the feeling of "I AMness" and i think most on this board do not feel that way.

its definately a topic of debate between the pure advaitists and the shakti/kundalini group.

If you really want to go the advaita route... when you start thinking about spirit/kundalini, ask yourself "who cares?" and fall back into yourSELF

The awareness you talk about is ultimately transcended as you realize that there is even something prior to the consciousness... Upon what does this consciousness rest? So yes, in a sense you can say it's a vehicle. If you intuitively sensed this you must have tremendous sensitivity.

love,
j

Edited by - wakeupneo on Feb 04 2011 4:58:44 PM
Go to Top of Page

beetsmyth

USA
104 Posts

Posted - Feb 04 2011 :  5:15:55 PM  Show Profile  Visit beetsmyth's Homepage  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
quote:
However, personally I feel that shakti amplifies the feeling of "I AMness" and i think most on this board do not feel that way.

Yeah I think that may be the case .....as far as doing some breathing exercises, green tea, fresh air ...all of these seem to amplify Awareness which makes it easier to be That.... (so I could definitely see how shakti would raise up energies and make awareness obvious...

Hey thanks alot really for the replies .... really appreciated.

You are "there" then ...resting in the Absolute....or should One say as that?
________
Also interesting you say hold "that" (awareness) in order to tame it ...I though it was Staying in awareness will Tame Ego/Mind and all that which is not awareness ...either way ...your take makes sense.

yeah the sensitivity here on this end....seems to have been something that became established through a decade long amount of mystical experiences, baptisms, dark night of the soul, etc etc ..all the past ..but still relevant to Now.

As for what is prior to consciousness .....there was this glimpse ....it was like going down a very skinny and extremely subtle void into the deepest depths of awareness itself that led to a few seconds of a state where there was no 'I' and 'I' was no different than the room, a chair, etc... it seemed like the flip side of awareness was that Nondual state....

Anyway again thanks for the input ...it is extremely appreciate don this end.... Giant hugs!!!!
Go to Top of Page

wakeupneo

USA
171 Posts

Posted - Feb 04 2011 :  5:58:02 PM  Show Profile  Visit wakeupneo's Homepage  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
hehe, yes a cup green tea and sitting out on the porch definately helps.

Going out into nature... Tai Chi--- are very grouding. In order to access the absolute you need to stagnate your life force... not exasserbate it like most yoga techniques do.

no john is still here;) As far as the absolute, from my experience talking with, working with various students and teachers, the absolute is the rarest of spiritual realizations. So rare that most systems do not even address it. Main stream neo-advaitists generally have not transcended awakening to pure consciousness. I'll probably get some flack here, but most neo-advaitist realization is but the beginning of the spiritual path. Which it sounds like you have already recognized your fundamental nature... "THAT"

From my experience and from the teachings of Nisargadatta it is important to consciously and constantly abide. Recognition, realization of "THAT" is not enough. Abiding as that doesn't neccessary tame ego/mind... its more of an existential shift into "THAT" You experientially see that EGO/MIND is just an appearance within consciousness--- and you are not that. You are the subject, EGO/MIND is an appearance. Ultimately you realize that it is all one--- but that's a bit later on.

In Zen they beautifully say, "why chase clouds when you are the sky" constant and conscious abidance will foster this realization.

Constant abidance, self-inquiry, and AYP Deep Mediation are all potent practices. Spinal breathing develops one sensitivity which allows one to have more subtle discrimination. It's very important that spinal breathing also traces back down. Many methods bring the energy up and keep it up.

Keep plunging into those depths, until there is no more you to plunge.

j
Go to Top of Page

manigma

India
1065 Posts

Posted - Feb 05 2011 :  01:55:17 AM  Show Profile  Visit manigma's Homepage  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
quote:
Originally posted by beetsmyth
When this awareness is aware of itself 'things" definitely begin to happen ......feelings of energy flowing and opening on the top of the skull, forehead, etc ... the in and out breath momentarily became One breath with no distinctions.... and things are getting rather interesting (says the mind which is not me)

Yes.

Energy is always in movement -- either going out or coming in. Energy can never be static. These are the laws. When an impulse, any impulse, comes to you, it means energy is moving out. When you stop suddenly, the energy cannot be static in you. You have become static, but the energy cannot be static in you, and the mechanism through which it was moving out is not dead, it has stopped. So what can the energy do? The energy cannot do anything other than move inward.
~Osho (The Book of Secrets)

quote:

According to Nisargadatta ....now its just a matter of staying in this awareness devoid of Mind/thought/ego .... is that pretty much it?

I love Nisarga.

What proof have you that your present state is beginningless and endless? How were you before you were born? How will you be after death? And of your present state -- how much do you know? You do not know even what was your condition before you woke up this morning? You only know a little of your present state and from it you draw conclusions for all times and places. You may be just dreaming and imagining your dream to be eternal.

In your fevered state, you project a past and a future and take them to be real. In fact, you know only your present moment. Why not investigate what is now, instead of questioning the imaginary past and future? Your present state is neither beginningless nor endless. If is over in a flash. Watch carefully from where it comes and where it goes. You will soon discover the timeless reality behind it.

~Nisargadatta (I Am That)

It is over in a flash. Remember this... A Flash!

Go to Top of Page

Holy

796 Posts

Posted - Feb 05 2011 :  09:13:28 AM  Show Profile  Visit Holy's Homepage  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
@beetsmyth

if you remain like that, kundalini will awaken and travel up to the corresponding chakras which are about in heigth of your head.

Both ways work. Put attention to the chakra or put attention to the corresponding theme. So you can't seperate the body-mind-kundalini play from attention and awareness. The body mind will reflect perfectly.
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
AYP Public Forum © Contributing Authors (opinions and advice belong to the respective authors) Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.09 seconds. Snitz Forums 2000