Satsang Cafe - General Discussions on AYP
 Dealing with disturbing thoughts?
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

tamasaburo

USA
136 Posts

Posted - Sep 20 2010 :  4:43:01 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Message
I am a pretty sensitive person and prone to anxiety and insomnia, though AYP has helped a lot with that.

Because of my sensitivity I tend to avoid most horror movies. Though I can deal with action-thriller-mystery-type things, out-and-out slasher-gore-type films just really don't sit well with me. Sometimes, unfortunately, one can't avoid things entirely, such as when a friend recently told me the premise of a horror movie completely without prompting. I won't tell people about the movie here, but suffice it to say it's the kind of thing where just having it described for you is enough to be very disturbing.

We spend so much time thinking happy thoughts in AYP, what with samyama and all, and it's all been very good for me, I think. But what to do when unpleasant or disturbing thoughts keep intruding? Or is there any simple method for dealing with such things? I tend to find that time generally heals such mental scars, but not always entirely, as they can come back up.

Also, the natural tendency to want to think more about the thing in order to somehow deal with it more thoroughly is there in me, but there are, of course, some things, like genocide or torture which no amount of contemplation can make sit right. I suppose the unpleasantness stems both from a self-centered fear along the lines of "what if that terrible thing happened to me or my family?" and also from a somewhat more empathetic "how can I enjoy this beautiful sunset when I know terrible things are happening to someone else somewhere else?" How do we maintain our sunny outlook of "all's right with the world" when we know such things can and do take place?

This is a strange entry, I know, and possibly misplaced, but any advice or guidance would be much appreciated.

Edited by - tamasaburo on Sep 20 2010 6:04:49 PM

cosmic

USA
821 Posts

Posted - Sep 20 2010 :  7:38:35 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
Hi tamasaburo

My hope (and feeling) is that this is just a phase that will eventually pass. There are times in our spiritual progress when it's beneficial to avoid negative stimulus. Sometimes for an extended period.

For me, there have been phases where I couldn't listen to heavy metal (which I love). Other times, talk radio (or too much talking) or watching the news would drive me crazy. These phases passed when inner silence reached a new, deeper level. Hopefully this is what's going on with you.

quote:
Originally posted by tamasaburo

But what to do when unpleasant or disturbing thoughts keep intruding? Or is there any simple method for dealing with such things?

Self-inquiry can help release these thoughts. Or at least help you be more at ease with them. Continuing with daily deep meditation helps as well. No thought can disturb inner silence. Acceptance can also help. Giving your attention/importance to these thoughts just makes them stick around longer.

quote:

How do we maintain our sunny outlook of "all's right with the world" when we know such things can and do take place?

Personally, I don't think that's a healthy outlook. There are all kinds of nasty things happening in the world. How can we help make it better if we deny these things? Worrying and being disturbed about it doesn't help either, though.

I feel that inner silence and loving service is the answer

Hope this helps in some way.

Namaste
cosmic
Go to Top of Page

alwayson2

USA
546 Posts

Posted - Sep 20 2010 :  8:51:56 PM  Show Profile  Visit alwayson2's Homepage  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
I really recommend you study Dzogchen..

It is just perfect for this.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Dzogchen
Go to Top of Page

alwayson2

USA
546 Posts

Posted - Sep 20 2010 :  9:29:39 PM  Show Profile  Visit alwayson2's Homepage  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
Distinguish primordial purity from thoughts.

Do not follow thoughts. Relax and "cut" back to primordial purity.

Edited by - alwayson2 on Sep 20 2010 9:48:32 PM
Go to Top of Page

Maximus

India
187 Posts

Posted - Sep 21 2010 :  01:19:15 AM  Show Profile  Visit Maximus's Homepage  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
quote:

but there are, of course, some things, like genocide or torture which no amount of contemplation can make sit right. I suppose the unpleasantness stems both from a self-centered fear along the lines of "what if that terrible thing happened to me or my family?" and also from a somewhat more empathetic "how can I enjoy this beautiful sunset when I know terrible things are happening to someone else somewhere else?" How do we maintain our sunny outlook of "all's right with the world" when we know such things can and do take place?

This is a strange entry, I know, and possibly misplaced, but any advice or guidance would be much appreciated.

Don't listen to cosmic.
Who says you have to have the outlook of all's right with the world? Your sensitivity is rightly felt, this world is full of misery and pain, we don't have to delude ourselves into thinking that all is right, just because some other highly accomplished yogis may say so. Different persons are at different levels of spiritual accomplishment, and a low-life like me has no right to imagine all is well when I hear on the news that a child has fallen into a man-hole and died, or that a school teacher has beaten a child to death. But a yogi who has achieved oneness is at a different level, as an extreme example, let's say the continuously working Sun God. His level of work is so great and so much in oneness with the universe, that he a level of understanding so as not to shed tear about the bad news.
Go to Top of Page

manigma

India
1065 Posts

Posted - Sep 21 2010 :  04:53:08 AM  Show Profile  Visit manigma's Homepage  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
quote:

Whenever you give too much attention to your thoughts (pleasant or terrifying)... you are caught up in the web of your own imagination.

Its like daydreaming.

As you said you are too sensitive, it means like a child you intertwine your thoughts with reality and then its hard for you to differentiate what is real and what is thought.

For example "you imagine someone's present under your bed at night", this thought will terrify you. But its only your imagination. If it were real, you would not be terrified but very active and ready to face the terror.

But since its only your imagination, you remain helpless and suffer.

With meditation, you start becoming more and more aware and thus cut this useless thought pattern.

So keep practicing and be strong.

Meditation is the deepest sleep. It is total relaxation plus something more; you are totally relaxed and yet alert. Awareness is there. Total sleep with awareness is meditation. Fully alert, things are happening but you are not resisting, not fighting, not doing. The doer is not there. The doer has gone into sleep. Only a witness is there a 'non-doer alertness' is there. Then nothing can disturb you. - Osho

In the dream sleep and waking, it is the ego and not the soul that sees a world of fancy, but that ego sees nothing in deep sleep. - Ramana Maharishi

Do you believe that my being stronger, or faster, has anything to do with my muscles, in this place? - Morpheus
Go to Top of Page

Clear White Light

USA
229 Posts

Posted - Sep 21 2010 :  08:48:01 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
A "Positive outlook" is just as much a trick of the mind as a "Negative outlook." Both are simply judgments and evaluations on the level of the mind and not based in reality. Life is not something that you can wrap your mind around, as you can plainly see. When we try to do so, it can only end in more suffering and mental anguish. You will never be able to validate the "injustices" of the world with any amount of thinking, or with any kind of mental outlook.

It is attachment to the thought that things should be some way or another that causes suffering. Attempting to "maintain" any kind of outlook is not the right strategy. It is the opposite of that which will bring more peace into your life. LET GO, don't maintain. Whether positive or negative, LET GO, don't maintain. Then things will be just as they are.

Go to Top of Page

cosmic

USA
821 Posts

Posted - Sep 21 2010 :  10:45:11 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
quote:
Originally posted by Maximus

Don't listen to cosmic.
Who says you have to have the outlook of all's right with the world? Your sensitivity is rightly felt, this world is full of misery and pain, we don't have to delude ourselves into thinking that all is right, just because some other highly accomplished yogis may say so. Different persons are at different levels of spiritual accomplishment, and a low-life like me has no right to imagine all is well when I hear on the news that a child has fallen into a man-hole and died, or that a school teacher has beaten a child to death. But a yogi who has achieved oneness is at a different level, as an extreme example, let's say the continuously working Sun God. His level of work is so great and so much in oneness with the universe, that he a level of understanding so as not to shed tear about the bad news.

Just to clarify, I'm not advocating the view that "all's right in the world". That's the view I'm saying is unhealthy. It can lead to indifference and lack of compassion to the suffering in the world, IMHO.

Love
cosmic
Go to Top of Page

tamasaburo

USA
136 Posts

Posted - Sep 21 2010 :  2:17:26 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
Thanks for the advice, guys. I guess part of the difficulty is that while I know nurturing negative thoughts is a bad idea, sometimes it's hard to tell the difference, mentally, between "letting go" and "pushing down." One wants to let go and be at peace, not to stick one's fingers in one's ears and go "la la la" is I guess what I'm getting at. But sometimes it's hard to do the former without feeling like you're doing the latter? Or at least for me it is...
Go to Top of Page

Neesha

215 Posts

Posted - Sep 21 2010 :  9:41:42 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
Hi tamsaburo,

I was paranoid at the beginning of my official spiritual awakening...and I don't look at horror up until today.....because I have lived some of those horror movies.....

Do you get headaches on the left top of your head?.....gee wish I could have drawn it....

Every thought has a common base.....in your case you described an innate feeling of constant fear.....examine the thoughts and further evaluate the point of origin....or the resultant of the scenario if such scenario were to occur....

I had visions of maggots eating my face.....6 years ago.....my guru said forget about it.....

5 years after I got a bacterial infection on my face from gym(gosh the worst place) from my gloves....I looked just as in my visions.....

I don't sense any real negativity with you as a person....because you just like me ....still growing spiritually

However, you are indeed a religious person.....I strongly suggest you focus your prayers on the root of the problem....

hear mine at my time...."God give me the strength to understand what's happening with me and help me towards a more positive state of mind"

" and if anything was to occur please protect my family and me"

Lord Shiva is usually the deity that eases the obstacles of devotees...

I strongly suggest you get the opinion of a professional priest or something........

I know you will move forward again after reading this
Go to Top of Page

karl

United Kingdom
1812 Posts

Posted - Sep 22 2010 :  05:46:06 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
quote:

We spend so much time thinking happy thoughts in AYP, what with samyama and all, and it's all been very good for me, I think.

Once you make that judgement you divide that night from the day, hot from cold, pain from pleasure. All are manifest from where you decide to place that marker.

DM can remove the marker and alter the perception. There is then neither happiness or sadness instead only a deep stillness like an ocean while on the surface small waves and storms play.
Go to Top of Page

Shanti

USA
4854 Posts

Posted - Sep 22 2010 :  09:00:41 AM  Show Profile  Visit Shanti's Homepage  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
quote:

Because of my sensitivity I tend to avoid most horror movies. Though I can deal with action-thriller-mystery-type things, out-and-out slasher-gore-type films just really don't sit well with me. Sometimes, unfortunately, one can't avoid things entirely, such as when a friend recently told me the premise of a horror movie completely without prompting. I won't tell people about the movie here, but suffice it to say it's the kind of thing where just having it described for you is enough to be very disturbing.

I don't like horror movies and/or scary movies or TV shows, movies where there is any form of child abuse. It's just a choice/conditioning of this body/mind. If I am in a place where that is what is being shown/seen, I just walk away and go do something else. No judgment about it. No wishing anything different. It does not matter what people may judge me as for doing this, it is something this body/mind does not enjoy and sees no reason to do just because everyone else is doing it.

quote:

But what to do when unpleasant or disturbing thoughts keep intruding? Or is there any simple method for dealing with such things? I tend to find that time generally heals such mental scars, but not always entirely, as they can come back up.

I have not read through all the replies posted above, but I would suggest reading the book "Loving What Is" by Byron Katie. This way, when there are any thoughts (good/bad/ugly) bothering you, you can ask 4 questions and let it go.

quote:

Also, the natural tendency to want to think more about the thing in order to somehow deal with it more thoroughly is there in me, but there are, of course, some things, like genocide or torture which no amount of contemplation can make sit right. I suppose the unpleasantness stems both from a self-centered fear along the lines of "what if that terrible thing happened to me or my family?" and also from a somewhat more empathetic "how can I enjoy this beautiful sunset when I know terrible things are happening to someone else somewhere else?" How do we maintain our sunny outlook of "all's right with the world" when we know such things can and do take place?

If we will try to maintain a sunny outlook, then the opposite ugliness will also be there. The aim is not to be in a space of made up sunnyness and push away the ugliness, it is to be in a place of equanimity, in acceptance of both the good and bad as a way of life. Again, I think if you read "Loving What Is", it will help.
Also, as you continue with meditation, the centering/the equanimity presents itself naturally over time.

Wish you all the best.
Go to Top of Page

CarsonZi

Canada
3189 Posts

Posted - Sep 22 2010 :  10:06:34 AM  Show Profile  Visit CarsonZi's Homepage  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
No escaping, just embracing

Try not to let the heart constrict around things the mind wants to judge as "bad". When you feel yourself "closing up" just remind yourself to relax and stay open.

This doesn't mean that we need to enjoy things like horror movies and child abuse, it just means that if we stay open, if we embrace everything as a reflection of Life, the thoughts that surround the seemingly "bad" stuff lose their power to make us suffer.

Love!
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
AYP Public Forum © Contributing Authors (opinions and advice belong to the respective authors) Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.08 seconds. Snitz Forums 2000