AYPsite.org Forum
 Discussions on AYP Pranayama, Mudras and Bandhas
 How long is one spinal breath?
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

bliss_

25 Posts

Posted - Feb 05 2006 :  7:28:23 PM  Show Profile  Visit bliss_'s Homepage  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Message
How long is a good spinal breath?
My idea is that 20 seconds inspiration plus 15 seconds expiration for example is a good average: am I right?

Victor

USA
910 Posts

Posted - Feb 05 2006 :  10:47:44 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
I disagree.
I don't like timings. I did pranayama timings for many years and this is my experience.
The breath is a very subtle and delicate process and imposing an external control on it like a timing can do you harm. I prefer to gently lengthen the breath and go with the feeling and sensation. Also I prefer at first to lengthen and control teh exhalation more and let the inhalation be more passive and receptive with less control thus the exhalation would become a bit longer. With time and practice it all smooths out naturally and you don't really need to worry about it as the energy of the breath will teach you.
Go to Top of Page

yogani99

USA
153 Posts

Posted - Feb 05 2006 :  11:03:59 PM  Show Profile  Visit yogani99's Homepage  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
Hi Bliss:

What Victor has described is also the approach in AYP. The breath will find its own correct length with gentle favoring of slowing down, and it will tend toward a longer exhale than inhale. Ujjayi plays a role in this -- open throat on the way in and restricted epiglottis on the way out. See lesson #41 for the overall spinal breathing procedure. And see lesson #62 for a specific answer to your question on the length of a spinal breathing cycle.

Happy spinal breathing!

The guru is in you.
Go to Top of Page

bliss_

25 Posts

Posted - Feb 06 2006 :  10:35:14 AM  Show Profile  Visit bliss_'s Homepage  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
I didn't remember about partially closing the epiglotis on exhalation, and it really does make a difference, otherwise the breathing would be too windy and with no feeling.

So I ask myself: why don't we partially close the epiglotis as well on inhalation?

Does Ujjayi close on inhale and exhale?
Go to Top of Page

yogani99

USA
153 Posts

Posted - Feb 06 2006 :  12:05:10 PM  Show Profile  Visit yogani99's Homepage  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
Hi Bliss:

That is one covered in the AYP Easy Lessons book. In AYP, ujjayi on the inhale is not suggested because it creates negative pressure in the lungs. So does external kumbhaka (external breath retention), which is not recommended to be done for long periods either. The reason is because the lungs are not designed for long term negative pressure (vacuum), and it can be unhealthy. Safety first, you know.

This does not mean we avoid all negative lung pressure. We use it in uddiyana and nauli. It can happen spontaneously during meditation and spinal breathing (an external suspension of breath -- not much pressure involved with this). That's fine. We can notice it and then easily go back to the practice we are doing. We don't make a deliberate effort to put negative pressure in the lungs over extended periods.

On the other hand, postive pressure (internal retention) in the lungs is natural and we can do that as much as our practices with good self-pacing call for. Hence the use of ujjayi on exhale during spinal breathing. The practice is built on leveraging our natural capabilities for purification and opening to the divine within, just as all yoga should be.

The guru is in you.
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
AYP Public Forum © Contributing Authors (opinions and advice belong to the respective authors) Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.03 seconds. Snitz Forums 2000