Satsang Cafe - General Discussions on AYP
 Is prana/kundalini biochemical?
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

Tibetan_Ice

Canada
758 Posts

Posted - Jan 13 2010 :  11:22:03 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Message
Hi Yogani :)
I just read your latest lesson and now I'm really confused:
quote:

Lesson 378 – How Does Pranayama Awaken Kundalini?

Date: January 13, 2010
Q1: How is it that pranayama causes a suction of prana from the pelvic region upward?

A1: It should be clarified that the reduction of oxygen intake through pranayama does not directly produce a physical upward "vacuuming" of prana from the pelvic region. Rather, it is a biochemical drawing up, similar to how a food fast stimulates the drawing of nutrients from the fatty tissues of the body. In both cases, there is inner purification and opening, which is why both fasting and pranayama are regarded to be spiritual techniques. As we have said in Lesson 204 and elsewhere, the nervous system has a natural ability whereby the restraint and regulation of breath leads and to "awakening" of the vast storehouse of life-force located in our pelvic region – sexual energy that is drawn upward through the body to compensate for a reduced intake of oxygen when the breath is gently restrained. This upward movement is not only physical. It is biochemical, and leads to a higher neurobiology emerging in the body – that which we call the awakening of ecstatic conductivity, or kundalini.

I have never before heard that the movement of prana is a biochemical process. I know the movement of prana can cause heat and other physical sensations in the body but I thought there is no physical component that the movement of prana relies on. Aren't biochemical reactions just way too slow? Kundalini is faster than that isn't it?

According the Wikipedia:
link: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Prana
quote:

In Vedantic philosophy, it is the notion of a vital, life-sustaining force of living beings and vital energy, comparable to the Chinese notion of Qi. Prana is a central concept in Ayurveda and Yoga where it is believed to flow through a network of fine subtle channels called nadis. Its most subtle material form is the breath, but is also to be found in blood, and its most concentrated form is semen in men and vaginal fluid in women.[1] The Pranamaya-kosha is one of the five Koshas or "sheaths" of the Atman.

Prana was first expounded in the Upanishads, where it is part of the worldly, physical realm, sustaining the body and the mother of thought and thus also of the mind. Prana suffuses all living forms but is not itself the Atman or individual soul. In the Ayurveda, the Sun and sunshine are held to be a source of Prana.

The first thing that comes to mind is Tai Chi, or Qi Qong and working with a chi ball outside of the body starting with the lower tan tien. If the movement of prana was a biochemical process that would imply that prana movement would be restricted to regions inside the body. So what would Qi Qong practitioners be moving around and transferring to others when they are working with their chi balls?

Is not shaktipat the transfer of kundalini or prana from one person to the other? Sometimes over great distances? There is no biological connection between guru and the recipient so I don't see how it can be soley a biochemical or neurbiological reaction.

I can imagine that by systematically restricting the breath it would cause small amounts of prana to be released into the etheric pathways of the body causing an opening and widening of the etheric pathways, ida, pingala and the sushumna included. I can also imagine that persistent activation of these pathways may also cause biochemical reactions that strengthen and cause these pathways to grow because there are corresponding nerve plexuses that would be stimulated. But I can't imagine prana movement in the body being soley a biochemical process or a neurobiological event..

Isn't a prana ball also a thought? Doesn't it contain consciousness? Still the breath still the mind? Still the prana still the mind? Were kundalini a biochemical process and if one's kundalini were active, wouldn't it be impossible to still the mind?

Further, isn't there an unlimited amount of prana all around us? (the sun, air, consciousness..) Why should kundalini be restricted to the pool of accumulated prana in the pelvis? Isn't there another store in the head and one in the heart too?

Just trying to get some clarification on this..

Thanks.

TI

Akasha

421 Posts

Posted - Jan 14 2010 :  08:46:18 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
Hi TI,

quote:
Why should kundalini be restricted to the pool of accumulated prana in the pelvis? Isn't there another store in the head and one in the heart too?

All the ancient texts say K shakti ( when dormant at least) resides at the base of the spine.

Edited by - Akasha on Jan 14 2010 08:47:41 AM
Go to Top of Page

yogani

USA
5196 Posts

Posted - Jan 16 2010 :  10:37:24 AM  Show Profile  Visit yogani's Homepage  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
Hi TI:

Prana certainly has a biochemical (neurobiological) component. The tools of hatha yoga are for addressing that (pranayama, asana, mudra, bandha). But prana is not only that. It (the life force) covers a continuum from physical to pure consciousness, including the full spectrum of emotion, mind, and sensory experience. We have bhakti, meditation, samyama, self-inquiry, etc. operating across that spectrum. In AYP we work toward cultivating the opening on all levels in a consistent and balanced way that can be helpful to many. Openings on any level affect all other levels. Everything is interconnected, and this is well recognized in the integrative approaches of yoga.

The One is the many and the many are the One.

The guru is in you.

Go to Top of Page

Tibetan_Ice

Canada
758 Posts

Posted - Jan 16 2010 :  10:42:45 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
quote:
Originally posted by yogani

Hi TI:

Prana certainly has a biochemical (neurobiological) component. The tools of hatha yoga are for addressing that (pranayama, asana, mudra, bandha). But prana is not only that. It (the life force) covers a continuum from physical to pure consciousness, including the full spectrum of emotion, mind, and sensory experience. We have bhakti, meditation, samyama, self-inquiry, etc. operating across that spectrum. In AYP we work toward cultivating the opening on all levels in a consistent and balanced way that can be helpful to many. Openings on any level affect all other levels. Everything is interconnected, and this is well recognized in the integrative approaches of yoga.

The One is the many and the many are the One.

The guru is in you.

Thank you for your response, Yogani.

:)
TI
Go to Top of Page

Dogboy

USA
2207 Posts

Posted - Mar 21 2015 :  4:42:40 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
I thought I'd revive this thread as it contains much wisdom and clarification.
Go to Top of Page

Bodhi Tree

2972 Posts

Posted - Mar 21 2015 :  5:30:16 PM  Show Profile  Visit Bodhi Tree's Homepage  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
quote:
Originally posted by yogani

It (the life force) covers a continuum from physical to pure consciousness, including the full spectrum of emotion, mind, and sensory experience. We have bhakti, meditation, samyama, self-inquiry, etc. operating across that spectrum. In AYP we work toward cultivating the opening on all levels in a consistent and balanced way that can be helpful to many. Openings on any level affect all other levels. Everything is interconnected, and this is well recognized in the integrative approaches of yoga.

After practicing daily for about 5 years now, I find the above paragraph to be so ridiculously true, and that is why I have such a distaste for teachers/teachings that focus 90% on detachment (blank consciousness) without much regard to the other layers.

The proof is in the pudding, and Yogani exemplifies the householder yogi who has accomplished a successful career, an ecstatic marriage and family, and finally, a teaching role to pass on the tools (including some lessons that have cosmic implications beyond Earth).

In AA, they ask: do you want what we have? Well, with all due respect, I haven't met anyone in AA who embodied the essence of what I want. The founder of AA died on a hospital bed from emphysema (due to smoking cigarettes) and was begging for whiskey in his final days. I definitely do NOT want that.

Nor do I want to mimic or replicate Yogani's life, but nevertheless, the essence of ecstatic bliss he conveys in the lessons is perpetually inspiring and drives me to keep practicing. Sure, bhakti is something unique and personal, but the principles and techniques are universal and affect the whole.

I had never read this lesson, so thank you Dogboy for bringing it back up.
Go to Top of Page

technoyogi

Canada
158 Posts

Posted - Mar 21 2015 :  7:35:24 PM  Show Profile  Visit technoyogi's Homepage  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
Indeed, great clarification there from Yogani, I second the thanks from Bhodhi Tree on bringing it back up again Dogboy :-)
Go to Top of Page

Dogboy

USA
2207 Posts

Posted - Mar 21 2015 :  10:52:17 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
...and passing the thanks to the top of the heap! Yogani
Go to Top of Page

BlueRaincoat

United Kingdom
1730 Posts

Posted - Mar 25 2015 :  12:18:38 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
There is hard evidence that meditation changes activation patterns in the brain. And if it alters brain activity, then it must have an effect on the endocrine system, as the two are seamlessly connected.

But the most fascinating piece of evidence I came across is from a new(ish) science called psychosocial genomics. Apparently the set of genes we are born with is not immovable. Changes in our environment/in our state causes genes to switch on or off. This research here found that yoga changes the expression of some genes in white blood cells:
http://journals.plos.org/plosone/ar...pone.0061910

That is probably just one example of change at biological level caused by yoga practice.
Go to Top of Page

technoyogi

Canada
158 Posts

Posted - Mar 25 2015 :  1:58:12 PM  Show Profile  Visit technoyogi's Homepage  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
Very cool BR, thanks for sharing!

"A peripheral blood mononuclear cell (PBMC) is any blood cell having a round nucleus (as opposed to a lobed nucleus).[1] For example: a lymphocyte, a monocyte or a macrophage. These blood cells are a critical component in the immune system to fight infection and adapt to intruders. The lymphocyte population consists of T cells (CD4 and CD8 positive ~75%), B cells and NK cells (~25% combined)."

So basically within 2 hours of doing pranayama there are these gene changes that help our immune system.

And yes, totally agreed about the effects on the endocrine system. Not to mention the effects on certain neurotransmitters like DMT (our lungs produce a compound called INMT which methylates tryptophan to produce DMT). Given its moniker as the spirit molecule, no coincidence about some of the spiritual effects either than just based on that one link alone. And there are probably many more, I would not be surprised if there are effects of pranayama and meditation on Anadamide, etc.
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
AYP Public Forum © Contributing Authors (opinions and advice belong to the respective authors) Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.06 seconds. Snitz Forums 2000