AYPsite.org Forum
 Satsang Cafe - General Discussions on AYP
 Holosync
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

redman

3 Posts

Posted - Dec 28 2005 :  4:07:05 PM  Show Profile  Visit redman's Homepage  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Message
I am a new member. This post concerns both a question and a warning. The question is a physical disturbance that has arisen due to my use of Holosync, which is a CD that uses sound technology designed to alter one's brain waves. Specifically, one's brain waves are taken from beta, down through alpha, theta and delta waves. After about two months of using the CD (one hour a day) I started to develop excema on the insides of my arm. Over the last year it has spread across my entire body: first to my neck and chest, then abdomen and back then legs and just recently my feet. Throughout the day, but especially at night in bed, I experience the sensation of prickly energy moving throughout my body - head to toe. A topically applied corticosteroid is the only treatment that seems to help with the excema, but it only controls it somewhat.

Brief history: about 23 years ago (when I was 20 years old) I experienced some odd symptoms while sleeping after trying a couple of times a relaxation technique that I read about. The technique involved breathing into various body parts to relax them. I started with the toes, then feet, ankles, calves, knees on up to the head. After doing this only twice I awoke at night with a horrible roaring in my ears. It sounded like a 747 a few feet away. My teeth felt like they would explode and my entire body became tense as if I was having a seizure. This experience has occurred occasionaly (one to three times a year) since then.

About 11 years ago I was introduced to TM which I practiced for a few months before discovering A Course in Miracles which I then began to practice. About three years ago I began a zazen practice which I continued until I started Holosync, which I discontinued after about four months of use. For the last year I have not meditated.

In the last year there have been positive changes in my life: my marriage has improved imeasurably. I don't know if this is related to the use Holosync. The Holosync people promise all sorts of improvements in life situations.

My question: are my physical symptoms Kundalini?, and if so, what can I do to ameliorate the excema?

The warning: Holosync is extremely potent. Use with extreme caution.

Thanks.

riptiz

United Kingdom
741 Posts

Posted - Dec 29 2005 :  04:53:10 AM  Show Profile  Visit riptiz's Homepage  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
Hi,
Certainly the noise sounds like Kundalini symptoms.Unfortunately tampering with ones brain waves seems to me to be a bit dodgy.Of course meditation gives similar results but more gradually.If you are using an outside source to alter your brain then it makes it difficult to self pace unless you recognise the symptoms or are receiving guidance. Unless the holosync people are giving guidance then they are being irresposible in my view.
L&L
Dave

'the mind can see further than the eyes'
Go to Top of Page

david_obsidian

USA
2602 Posts

Posted - Dec 30 2005 :  07:25:36 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
Hello Redman,

I'm not opposed to people using tools to meditate, or go into meditation states (indeed a mantra is a tool, which also alters ones brain waves, although it is a much more ancient tool than Holosync). But I don't have any specific knowledge of Holosync and can't help you specifically with it. But I can offer some general guidance.

Firstly, it sounds from your earlier experiences that your nervous system might be fairly easy to push over an edge. So be extra-careful with it.....

redman said:
about two months of using the CD (one hour a day)

Secondly, if the CD is getting you into a deep meditative state, one hour a day is a lot.

If you want to try Holosync again, I'd suggest doing much less in your case (even if they recommend more in most cases). Maybe ten or fifteen minutes twice a day? And see where it goes from there.

There is no reason why the principles of self-pacing would not work for meditative states that are induced by modern tools as well as ancient.

Regards,

-D

Edited by - david_obsidian on Dec 30 2005 07:29:06 AM
Go to Top of Page

Anthem

1608 Posts

Posted - Dec 30 2005 :  10:28:25 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
Hi Redman,

I would also add to David's post that you may want to add some pranayama to your routine. It is an excellent tool for smoothing out energy imbalances like the ones you describe. Just 5 minutes of this twice a day prior to the 10 to 15 minutes David recommends for your Holosync CD would do the trick. This could also have an impact in helping to alleviate the eczema symptoms as well, if they are related to kundalini energies. The AYP lesson on how to do pranayama can be found at:

http://www.aypsite.com/41.html

Of course deep meditation is an important companion to pranayama and you will find excellent results from doing it 10 to 20 minutes twice a day. The AYP lesson describing deep meditation techniques can be found at:

http://www.aypsite.com/13.html

Good luck!
Go to Top of Page

redman

3 Posts

Posted - Dec 30 2005 :  4:27:49 PM  Show Profile  Visit redman's Homepage  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
Thank you for the replies. In fact the Holosync people do state that lots of "stuff" may come up with the use of their product - stuff being emotional issues for the most part. However, they state that some people experience physiological symptoms, such as a skin rash. This, they say, is a purification or detoxification and should not last more than a week or two. That has not been my experience. If this is kundalini, it must have a mind of its own, and once it gets going, it is not easy to get it under control.

Since I wrote this post I have been using the spinal breathing technique in lesson 41, but it is too soon to say whether it is having any effect. I do not intend to use Holosync again, not even on a limited basis. While a lot of people swear by it, my experience counsels otherwise.

I am impressed with the approach taken here. From what I have read, it is the spiritual equivalent to eating balanced meals and getting some daily anaerobic and aerobic exercise, being careful not to overdo it. Overlaying a preset brainwave pattern over your own ignores our individual makeup (such as having a sensitive nervous system).

Thanks.
Go to Top of Page

Jim and His Karma

2111 Posts

Posted - Dec 30 2005 :  6:48:05 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
Skin rashes say pitta. Pitta definitely increases after kundalini awakening, but I believe any spiritual work does to some degree. First thing is to cut out spicy foods and alcohol. read this lesson for more info: http://www.aypsite.org/200.html

Take this seriously. A skin rash is no big deal, but if a pitta overload keeps accelerating, it can get ugly. I'd put the CD away for a while, just for one thing. And I'd strongly suggest not mixing practices.

Also, if you're going to do AYP (it's a good thing to do), just do that, no other meditative or energy work (you can also do tai chi and yoga asanas and such, no problem). Otherwise you will have more symptoms of over-doing like this rash.

and see my postings in this thread: http://www.aypsite.org/forum/topic....TOPIC_ID=663

Edited by - Jim and His Karma on Dec 30 2005 6:51:06 PM
Go to Top of Page

roberto128

USA
17 Posts

Posted - Dec 31 2005 :  2:56:24 PM  Show Profile  Visit roberto128's Homepage  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
The skin is the largest eliminative organ of the body. Rashes are the bodies way of releasing toxins, through the skin. Someone (Jim i think) said eliminate alcohol and spices from the diet, partially true.It would be a good time to look to a purer diet all the way around. Fresh fruits, vegetables, nuts and seeds. Trying at least for a 50% raw diet, to allow the body to eliminate more effectively.
BTW i also did the holosync route for approx. 6 months with no real benefit that i could determine. However the AYP bennies were almost immediate.

Hari Om
Rob

Edited by - roberto128 on Dec 31 2005 3:35:06 PM
Go to Top of Page

Jim and His Karma

2111 Posts

Posted - Dec 31 2005 :  4:12:31 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
Rob, I really need to argue this one, sorry. If someone is in pitta overload due to energy practices (and skin rash is possibly the most frequent symptom), cutting out spicy food and alcohol (which are major pitta producers) makes a huge, huge difference, and in many cases will entirely fix the problem (did for me and at least one other forumite).

Skin rashes can be due to many things, including need for wide-ranging lifestyle and diet changes. But treating skin rashes that arise from kundalini awakening (or other energy breakthroughs) via major holistic interventions is (in my opinion) as much of a mistake as treating them with major medical interventions. Fix pitta problems by making pitta adjustments. That said, it's always a good idea to eat healthy and pure...sure, why not?

Go to Top of Page

roberto128

USA
17 Posts

Posted - Dec 31 2005 :  7:58:27 PM  Show Profile  Visit roberto128's Homepage  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
Jim:
No apology necessary.... So may i say that I do not believe that equating a change in diet (ie 50% raw)is a major holistic lifestyle change and comparing it to a major medical intervention, is a bit over the top. Also it is conjecture to immediately assume the rash is from a kundalini awakening or energy breakthrough. I would say that more times than not skin rashes is the bodies way of detoxifying.

Jim wrote:
Rob, I really need to argue this one, sorry. If someone is in pitta overload due to energy practices (and skin rash is possibly the most frequent symptom), cutting out spicy food and alcohol (which are major pitta producers) makes a huge, huge difference, and in many cases will entirely fix the problem (did for me and at least one other forumite).

Skin rashes can be due to many things, including need for wide-ranging lifestyle and diet changes. But treating skin rashes that arise from kundalini awakening (or other energy breakthroughs) via major holistic interventions is (in my opinion) as much of a mistake as treating them with major medical interventions. Fix pitta problems by making pitta adjustments. That said, it's always a good idea to eat healthy and pure...sure, why not?

Edited by - roberto128 on Dec 31 2005 8:31:20 PM
Go to Top of Page

redman

3 Posts

Posted - Dec 31 2005 :  8:31:21 PM  Show Profile  Visit redman's Homepage  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
Jim,

What sort of spicy foods did you cut out?

R
Go to Top of Page

yogani

USA
5197 Posts

Posted - Dec 31 2005 :  9:34:15 PM  Show Profile  Visit yogani's Homepage  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
Hi All:

There are ayurvedic diet suggestions from several sources provided in the AYP web pages here: http://www.aypsite.org/ayurveda.html

One of the links there is to a food chart I have used for many years, supporting vata, pitta and kapha pacifying diets. Here is the pitta recommendation from there on spices:

Yes – coriander, cinnamon, cardamom, fennel, turmeric, black pepper (small amount)

No – all other spices

The guru is in you.

PS -- I just noticed that the Maharishi Ayurveda free resource site pages (under http://www.ayurveda-ayurvedic.com) listed on the above AYP resource list are no longer operating. Only their product sales site is working (http://www.mapi.com).
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
AYP Public Forum © Contributing Authors (opinions and advice belong to the respective authors) Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.06 seconds. Snitz Forums 2000