Typical foods that you eat...
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Previous Page
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 2

antarananda

7 Posts

Posted - Feb 19 2006 :  1:24:36 PM  Show Profile  Visit antarananda's Homepage  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
quote:
Originally posted by david_obsidian

Hello Antarananda

Some time ago on the older forum I brought up a topic where I questioned whether it was correct that garlic is 'tamasic' (I'd ask the same of onions, but I was focussing on garlic).

There is no doubt about it --- 'the tradition' says that it is tamasic. But I was asking if the tradition is mistaken.

But considering what I have found myself, and the way people responded, I don't believe garlic is tamasic, at least not at all in the sense of causing mental inertia and sluggishness. I believe it is totally compatible with good meditation.

I believe garlic stands falsely accused in the Yoga tradition.

-D

David,

Actually garlic is quite rajasic as well. Essentially, like steroids, it is medicinal in small quantities to those who need it (good for the heart). Otherwise, it excites initially, and later leads to dullness or tamas as an after-effect. Hence, I avoid it, along with onions.

In Bliss,

Antarananda.
Go to Top of Page

Kyman

530 Posts

Posted - Dec 01 2006 :  08:37:02 AM  Show Profile  Visit Kyman's Homepage  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
I am proud to say that I have been a vegetarian for three weeks, including my first veggie Thanksgiving. Me's a feelin gooood.

Interestingly, I ate some pasta last night with a lot of garlic mixed in with the sauce. It caused me terrible unrest through the night. I was even having lucid drems and out of body experiences. At one point I thought I was looking at the ceiling with my eyes closed and it was just spinning. Too uncomfortable to lay on my side, so I tried my back. Only got a couple hours, uncomfortable ones.

After eating some beans and rice for breakfeast, with a touch of sea salt, I feel very good.
Go to Top of Page

Sparkle

Ireland
1457 Posts

Posted - Dec 01 2006 :  12:47:12 PM  Show Profile  Visit Sparkle's Homepage  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
Congrats Kyman

Curious to know why you went vegetarian, there are a few reasons why one would go veggie as I see it.
1. Compassion for animals
2. A lighter diet can bring lighter energies
3. Meat stays in the body for over a week, rotting and putrefying before it is expelled.
4. Vegetarianism can led to less aggression in a person
5. More vegetarians would led to less cattle, thus benefit the global warming situation by having less cow flatulence (which is actually a major contributor to the problem).
6. It is sixteen time more efficient per acre, to feed a person on a vegetarian diet than on a meat diet.

Maybe you can add a few more

Louis the carnivore
Go to Top of Page

Kyman

530 Posts

Posted - Dec 01 2006 :  1:15:35 PM  Show Profile  Visit Kyman's Homepage  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
My main goal was to achieve balance, which would include all of the above if I am applying an expanded defintion of self.

I think you covered most of them. The emphasis being 1 and 2. I don't have anything personal against eating meat, but supporting meat factories with my energy has given me some pause.
Go to Top of Page

lucidinterval1

USA
193 Posts

Posted - Dec 01 2006 :  7:54:39 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
quote:
Originally posted by Kyman

I don't have anything personal against eating meat, but supporting meat factories with my energy has given me some pause.

I know exactly what you mean Kyman. I avoid any foods from the Meatrix.
Paul
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 2 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Previous Page
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
AYP Public Forum © Contributing Authors (opinions and advice belong to the respective authors) Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.05 seconds. Snitz Forums 2000