Kundalini - AYP Practice-Related
 Heart Palpitations/Anxiety
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

Yogajan

USA
49 Posts

Posted - May 23 2008 :  12:12:12 PM  Show Profile  Visit Yogajan's Homepage  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Message
Have been having heart palpitations, anxiety surges, and heat rising up periodically. It seems as though once the surge is over there is calmness and some fatigue. I'm going through menopause as well so hard to discern what is what. Been walking, doing spinal breathing and short meditation, trying to keep from any storyline (like my God will this ever go away?!) and turn my attention to pleasurable things. Its particularly hard when I feel one of these surges coming up around people. Anyone have experience, strength, and hope to offer?
Namaste,
Jan

Richard

United Kingdom
857 Posts

Posted - May 23 2008 :  12:37:03 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
Hi Jan
I have never had this myself but you are doing the right thing, when these sort of symptoms occur its always best to cut back on practices.
I am sure this will pass in time but it has been brought up on the forum before so have a look at this FAQ Heart palpitations and the thread there, it may be of help to you.

Edited by - Richard on May 23 2008 12:47:46 PM
Go to Top of Page

thimus

53 Posts

Posted - May 24 2008 :  04:47:00 AM  Show Profile  Visit thimus's Homepage  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
I have these frightening problems for about 20 years. First time in hospital : they said : you have palpitations : that was that. Nothing further. I have to live with them . They come and go. Then 15 years later : it got worse ( the negative beatings): I went to cardiologist : what do they do : their usual thing and give you an apparatus that you muss put on your body for 24 hours.
To shorten : then you get two kind of pills : to make bloodpressure less and a pill against anxiety ( beta blocker). My palpitations have nothing to do with anxiety so I stopped emconcor. I am now stopping zestril too.
I make a distinction in these palpitations : the positive and the negative beatings: positive means your heart beats more, strong ( these were my first palpitations). Afterwards you feel the pain in chest. Worse are the negative ones : then your heart seems to stop : much much much more frightening.
Eckhart Tolle and S.N. Goenka were a great help : my palpitations are not gone but less, intensity also less, and when they come : "they" come : its not me any longer ! It goes like :"oops, there was a palpitation, its gone allready". Before Eckhart and Goenka : I was depressed and anxious the whole day lol.
Go to Top of Page

emc

2072 Posts

Posted - May 24 2008 :  05:30:41 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
quote:
my palpitations are not gone but less, intensity also less, and when they come : "they" come : its not me any longer ! It goes like :"oops, there was a palpitation, its gone allready". Before Eckhart and Goenka : I was depressed and anxious the whole day lol.

This just made me shine with a big smile here! Absolutely wonderful to hear, thimus! Thank you for posting that!
Go to Top of Page

Yogajan

USA
49 Posts

Posted - May 24 2008 :  06:59:51 AM  Show Profile  Visit Yogajan's Homepage  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
thanks Richard, emc,and Thimus,
I'm familiar with both Goenka and Echart Tolle. I did spend some time just observing the palpitations yesterday, sometimes its more fluttering that is near the heart but more above it. It is what it is and I'm trying to get out in life with "them" anyway. I think I've wanted to control them, the anxiety, etc. They do come and go -- I haven't had the negative ones as you call them. Doing the simple practices and lots of walking. I appreciate your comments.
Go to Top of Page

jillatay

USA
206 Posts

Posted - May 24 2008 :  5:03:55 PM  Show Profile  Visit jillatay's Homepage  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
Hi Yogajan,

It might not be much comfort but know that you are not alone. These things sound so familiar. Menopause is definitely a factor. I am almost through with it now but it can really be a roller coaster ride. There are so many symptoms and you just have to ride it out. Do you get enough electrolytes? Get rid of table salt and get the good sea salt if you haven't already. Also, get magnesium, preferably the transdermal type, won't give you the runs.

Apparently, for example, a hot flash is very similar to a kundalini heat surge. I am particularly interested in keeping up with other menopausal women who are meditators/yoginis. I believe we have unique issues that guys and younger women don't. I think we need to compile information for women who will be going through this in the future.

Best wishes,
Jill
Go to Top of Page

Yogajan

USA
49 Posts

Posted - May 27 2008 :  09:43:54 AM  Show Profile  Visit Yogajan's Homepage  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
Thanks Jill,
I appreciate your thoughts and its always helpful to know others have experienced what I have. I have changed to sea salt some time ago and do replenish electolytes (never heard of transdermal type magnesium but will look into it though runs are not a problem for me). Finding pacing practices is helpful as is the spinal breathing and long walks are helping immensely both my symptoms and my spirit. I agree that menopause and kundalini offer unique challenges. I would have thought it was all menopause but there have been lots of fluttering, etc. (plus some vision-like dreams) that are not consistent with anything I've read or heard about menopause. will keep you posted.
Warmly,
Jan
Go to Top of Page

jillatay

USA
206 Posts

Posted - May 27 2008 :  11:39:37 AM  Show Profile  Visit jillatay's Homepage  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
Hi Yogajan,

In the ancient times it was well understood, that the woman holding the blood within, became a seer. In today's day and age we are just old women to be discarded. When in the first 2 years I would have a hot flash (mostly gone now ) I would enter an altered state, I could then predict when they were coming. Of course it isn't a controlled study because I had done spiritual practice for many years, but I wasn't meditating at that time. I did a search for more info about menopausal women on the Path but there doesn't seem to be much. Perhaps in the next few years more will be written.

Best wishes on your interesting journey.

Love to all,
Jill
Go to Top of Page

Yogajan

USA
49 Posts

Posted - May 27 2008 :  12:10:22 PM  Show Profile  Visit Yogajan's Homepage  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
Thanks Jill,
I have felt that it has been deeply transforming in a multitude of ways. When I first started experiencing energetic surges I heard an inner voice tell me "your life will never be the same". I took an herb class several years ago now from Susun Weed. Here is an article about menopause and kundalini fyi. http://www.menopause-metamorphosis....htenment.htm
Best,
Jan
Go to Top of Page

jillatay

USA
206 Posts

Posted - May 27 2008 :  8:08:43 PM  Show Profile  Visit jillatay's Homepage  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
Thanks so much Jan.

Namaste,
Jill
Go to Top of Page

Divineis

Canada
420 Posts

Posted - May 28 2008 :  12:55:17 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
Yogajan, I get the same thing from time to time too. It used to happen often enough when I'd wake up, and sometimes while listening to music (I can kind of half control it with the music, I don't consciously try and do it, but I can "see" what's going on). Sometimes it'll happen during anxious situations too.

I find it's mostly breathing related. A certain kind of tension in the breath has an effect on the heart I find. It feels mostly at the plexus level, like if you made a horizontal line about 4 inches above the navel and made a "half cross" that goes up to the heart.

This feeling might be a very personal thing I'm guessing though, but the above is where I feel the "tension" strongest when it happens to me. Watching the process of whatever energetic disturbances will help out a lot.

There's no need to distract the mind away from your story/pains... really, that's just another story. It's all just a process to watch.. I wanna say when it happens, bring your awareness inside, but I also don't, because I don't know your story :). Inside is outside... that one was a scary lesson for me, and it never stops.

Namaste, and I hope things work out nicely :).
Go to Top of Page

Yogajan

USA
49 Posts

Posted - May 28 2008 :  11:50:03 AM  Show Profile  Visit Yogajan's Homepage  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
Dear Divineis,
Thanks for your thoughts. It does feel at the plexus level and my sense is that the heart palpitations are part of a release, a working out of something as the tightness subsides afterwards. Since doing the spinal breathing and some meditation, a lot of walking, and cutting back on work a bit my nervous system is feeling calmer. When the anxiety comes though I am tuning into it as simply energy, energy that I happen to have an aversion to at times, but nonetheless, energy just the same. That has seemed to help but then I don't stay or dwell or in any way try to control it <anymore> but turn my attention to something else, getting out in nature, reading a novel, etc.. What an interesting journey!
Best,
Jan
Go to Top of Page

LittleTurtle

USA
342 Posts

Posted - May 28 2008 :  12:37:04 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
As a suggestion, if you haven't done so already you should probably have an EKG done just to be sure. There are a couple disrhythmias that initially can come and go. Might be a good idea to rule that out first.
Go to Top of Page

Yogajan

USA
49 Posts

Posted - Jun 03 2008 :  6:35:04 PM  Show Profile  Visit Yogajan's Homepage  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
Thanks Little Turtle,
Did have an EKG and my heart is fine. About six months ago I was having so much fluttering in my chest area at my annual physical exam that I though for sure my blood pressure was going to be high and pulse fast but the fluttering was independent of my heart it appeared. After practicing spinal pranayama and deep meditation for 10 days now and adding a little gentle yoga (as well as daily long walks) my heart palpitations have subsided though I feel chest constriction. I've had some interesting awarenesses lately while doing therapy sessions with my clients. There are times that I feel as though my words are coming from the depths of my heart and I'm wondering who is speaking. That sounds weird perhaps but its interesting. It doesn't happen all the time. I also have periodic fluttering in my mouth. I feel really excited about finding this site and have delved into a couple of Yogani's books and am grateful for the wealth of info on this site.
Namaste,
Jan
Go to Top of Page

Yogajan

USA
49 Posts

Posted - Jun 12 2008 :  1:02:24 PM  Show Profile  Visit Yogajan's Homepage  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
Just wanted to give an update on heart palpitations. They were short-lived. While I still feel some congestion in my heart area at times, no more palpitations. I periodically am moved to tears. Really deeply moved by things in general. As I do the spinal pranayama and deep meditation twice a day there is an inner melting happening. As I continue to do this, the inner congestion is moving, disipating, and with it a feeling of deeping connection and expansion. Its beautiful.
Jan
Go to Top of Page

Sheila

USA
17 Posts

Posted - Sep 25 2008 :  2:02:17 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
Greetings to everyone on this forum and my gratitude for any advice/input you can offer.

I started AYP about 6 weeks ago, adding elements as I went along so that I now do meditation & pranayama in siddhasana. I also started a mantra enhancement to Shree Shree I Am a couple of weeks ago only because with the previous I Am, I found it impossible not to concentrate on my breath while meditating.

Late last week, I started feeling palpitations during meditation although I feel very calm and quiet. These have persisted. The EKG earlier this week was fine. Not menopausal either.

I understand my practices need to be tempered and moderated, and I thank Yogani/forum for this constant reminder. Is there anything else I should do? My other problem is that I am not an emotionally expressive person (I find it very difficult to cry), so to the extent this may be a heart chakra issue (I may be jumping ahead of myself here), I expect there would be very severe obstructions because of my emotional stoicism, plus I have my share of negative traits. I am writing in this forum because I have heard horror stories about kundalini obstructions and am somewhat concerned.

Thank you all.

Go to Top of Page

Richard

United Kingdom
857 Posts

Posted - Sep 25 2008 :  3:16:43 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
Hi Sheila

Well you certainly move fast maybe too fast that could be the problem, the palpitations are almost certainly down to overdoing things and going over the top with energy, meditation + Pranayama in Siddhasana in just 6 weeks wow!!!

Don't be fooled by the simplicity of the practices on this site they are very powerful and overload symptoms can have a delayed effect I strongly suggest that you cut back on your practices.

Maybe just do spinal breathing and meditation for a while and see if the palpitations disappear and if they don't cut back on the time of your spinal breathing first and then perhaps even the meditation.

When the palpitations stop then gradually start introducing practices again one at the time and give them time to settle in before you add more.

Hope this helps

Edited by - Richard on Sep 25 2008 3:22:07 PM
Go to Top of Page

CarsonZi

Canada
3189 Posts

Posted - Sep 25 2008 :  3:22:48 PM  Show Profile  Visit CarsonZi's Homepage  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
Hi Sheila,
I would say the same as Richard, but I think you alluded to that fact that you already know this, so I would also add this which was posted originally by Jim and his Karma in this thread here: http://www.aypsite.org/forum/topic....hpage=2#3880

The part I think you should focus on in that posting is this section:

"Here's what you ought to shoot for as a bare minimum. Chest opening. That's what it all boils down to. the Iyengar system has developed "restorative" ways of doing asanas that are passive and require no energy, but there are ways to use blocks and bolsters (big pillows) and blankets to put your body in the position where the energy can flow, open up your chest, and that's exactly what you need. I learned it in classes, so I haven't used a book for this, but I just looked around Amazon and this looks like a great guide: "Relax and Renew" by Judith Lasater. I hope you'll buy it. You'll need to spend some money to buy a bolster and stuff (if money's a problem, email me and I'll chip in some). But if you'll get into restorative yoga, mostly chest openings, you'll have huge results, I can honestly promise you. At very very least, it's something you absolutely will be ok doing during all but the most severe depressions.

Here's the basic chest opener, to get you started (Victor, correct me if I get this wrong, ok?). Take a yoga block (never buy the plastic ones, which won't support your weight....must be made from wood) and place it on end on the floor. Lay down on your back on top of the brick with the brick just below shoulder blades (with the narrowest edge facing your neck). Try to relax everything. Breathe. Move the brick very slighly up and down every few minutes.

Actually, that's an extreme one. You may perceive it to be painful (it's not really pain...it's energy hitting blockages...and it goes away pretty fast). But it's a cure for what you've got. There are gentler versions of this in the book, where you use softer, lower things like blankets and bolsters."

I don't 100% know for sure that this will fix the problem, but I have an inclination to suggest it so I am. Hope this helps. If it doesn't, PLEASE consider self pacing a bit more like Richard suggest. All the best Sheila.

In Love,
CarsonZi

Edited by - CarsonZi on Sep 25 2008 3:39:46 PM
Go to Top of Page

Sheila

USA
17 Posts

Posted - Sep 25 2008 :  4:32:23 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
Richard & CarsonZi - Thank you so much for your feedback. I understand I HAVE to slow down and now understand the constant reminders about self pacing. Because the results are delayed, and I felt no effects initially, I did not even realize I was going fast, I figured I was "adjusting" (my ego of course).

CarsonZi - thank you for your very helpful suggestions; i will buy the book and props for restorative yoga. You are a generous soul (how kind of you to offer resources to a complete stranger) and I should learn from you.

Go to Top of Page

CarsonZi

Canada
3189 Posts

Posted - Sep 25 2008 :  4:51:26 PM  Show Profile  Visit CarsonZi's Homepage  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
Sheila,

Just to clarify, everything in green above was originally posted by Jim and his Karma. I didn't add anything, not even the stuff in parenthesis. I am definitely willing to help you in any way I can, even financially if necessary, I just wanted you know to that is wasn't me who originally posted the offer, it was Jim. I am willing to make the same offer as Jim though, so feel free to let me know if you need any help in finding the book or block. Glad to help in any way I can.

In Love,
CarsonZi

Edited by - CarsonZi on Sep 25 2008 4:53:48 PM
Go to Top of Page

Yogajan

USA
49 Posts

Posted - Sep 26 2008 :  2:35:53 PM  Show Profile  Visit Yogajan's Homepage  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
Hi Sheila,
I started this post a while ago when I was having heart palpitations. With some self-pacing and alot of walking as well as some changes to my diet, my heart palpitations were short lived. I also think the spinal pranayama helped the congestion I felt in my heart and throat area. I have really appreciated the emphasis on the practices and not focusing on the under the hood processes. For me, trying to open an area only produced more struggle rather than inner stillness. Through the inner stillness, their is an allowing which seems to open me much better than I can. Best to you, Jan

Go to Top of Page

Emil

Australia
141 Posts

Posted - Sep 28 2008 :  9:01:45 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
Hi Yogijan,
I might be totally off on this but if the issue is menopause related some ayurvedic herbs might help.

Check this URL and search the catalog for menopause:
http://www.maharishi.co.uk/acatalog/

Hope it helps.
Emil
Go to Top of Page

Yogajan

USA
49 Posts

Posted - Sep 28 2008 :  10:11:30 PM  Show Profile  Visit Yogajan's Homepage  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
Thank Emil.
I had an ayurvedic consult and have been taking some herbs along with a diet geared to balancing my doshas. They have helped immensely. Greatly appreciate the suggestion.
Best,
Jan
Go to Top of Page

Sheila

USA
17 Posts

Posted - Oct 13 2008 :  08:25:57 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
Yogajan, I did some self pacing and it was also a medical issue, which is being treated. thank you for your post.

Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
AYP Public Forum © Contributing Authors (opinions and advice belong to the respective authors) Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.08 seconds. Snitz Forums 2000