Other Systems and Alternate Approaches
 Mantra and Jyotish
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

Frank-in-SanDiego

USA
363 Posts

Posted - Aug 03 2005 :  11:36:02 PM  Show Profile  Visit Frank-in-SanDiego's Homepage  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Message
Hari Om
~~~~~~~~
Hello and Namaste.
I am new to this group and thank you for the opportunity to join. I have spent a bit of time reading the posts, responses, etc. I have been presently impressed with the level of knowledge offered on this site. I hope I can add some value and perspective as the days unfold.

Much has been said about mantras here. One area worth considering is how the mantra influences the sadhu. We know of its vibrational affects on our system. There also is another area - that is, on ones Janma Kundalhi or birth chart, which is a blueprint of ones life, ( past life if you can consider this), ones Dharma, Artha, Kama, and Moksha. [ more on this if there is interest]

From a mantra perspective the various rishi's where very insightful as to how mantras stimulate various areas of life...The number of syllables in a mantra stimulate or influence that particular area of life. So, a one syllable ( bija) mantra has its origin in the Tattva it may be stimulating ( re: Ram, or Raam, for agni tattva) and influences the 1st house or Lagna. This postion also has "argala" on other houses ( called rasi's) and influence and stimulate these rasi's. Hence, based upon one chart, a Jyotisha can assist an individual to discern areas of influence, and areas of devotion ( bhakti) one may be interested in e.g. the identification of the Ishta devata.
So, Mantra's are of great interest and have great influence.

Again, more on this if there is interest and/or if yogani wishes to comment or add critique as fit.

I Start my messages with Hari Om out of respect for HIM and the opportunity HE gives to us to achieve Kaivalya that
Maharshi Patanjali most notably instructs.
Hari: ha + ra + i. Hakara pingala varna: the syllable ha means that there is no sense of the body. Further it is said that sarva varna varottamam It (ha) is the supreme letter. Rakara teja varna sat: The syllable ra is the power of God in the body. Ikara shakti dayaka: The letter i is the life of God given in you. So ha + ra + i is Hari, who is inhaling your breath. Hari comes from harati avidyam iti hari`, he who dispels darkness of ignorance.

Let noble thoughts come to us from every side - Rig-Veda, 1-89-i
Pranams,

Victor

USA
910 Posts

Posted - Aug 04 2005 :  01:48:56 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
Hari Om hara Ha
Shambo Shankara!
Go to Top of Page

yogani

USA
5195 Posts

Posted - Aug 06 2005 :  3:48:41 PM  Show Profile  Visit yogani's Homepage  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
Hello Frank:

In AYP, the goal with regard to mantra has been to simplify it down to the level of universality. If that sounds like a contradiction, then we are probably on the right track, as divine expression nearly always involves paradox -- usually involving the simplest and most complex things.

There are whole books sitting here in the library filled with mantras, and, as you say, we can parse the spiritual anatomy down to the finest aspect of chakra and nadi with mantra. And then we can build it all back up again to cover every aspect of our inner vibration. But what for?

Since AYP started, folks have written from India with advice on what specific mantras to use for wealth, health, social standing, marrying off a daughter, anything you want. Long lists of mantras have been sent here. I will need a bigger hard drive soon to store them all.

Invariably, the people who have had the most trouble letting go into native inner silence with AYP deep meditation have been the those who have been using the most mantras for the most purposes for the longest. For them, it is by rote, and the habit of innocence of attention has been corrupted by the cultural overlay of mantra, and so has the science of mantra overall been corrupted by this.

The question that has been asked in AYP is, what is the simplest most practical approach to mantra we can come up with that everyone can use effectively starting right now? And how can this be enhanced periodically to take the process of unfolding permanent inner silence broader and deeper as soon as the nervous system is ready for a mantra gear shift? It is about cultivating inner silence broadly and deeply in the nervous system, and then marrying this with the rise of ecstatic conductivity (cultivated by the other means) to complete the enlightenment circuit. It is not about this or that chakra, ishta deva, tattva, jyotish factors or whatever. These are but aspects of the great wheel of the human spiritual anatomy and its evolutionary transformation which we are directly stimulating with yoga methods.

In AYP, the mantras (the original "I AM," plus two enhancements in the online lessons, and one more in the AYP book), are geared to the overall nervous system. They are called "global" in the lessons. More specifically, they are geared to the observable experiences of resonance in the sushumna (spinal nerve), which controls the unfoldment of the entire nervous system. In taking this approach, we have been able to offer a universal approach to meditation and mantra that anyone who chooses to can use, with immediate and ongoing positive effects occurring in most cases. It is not a "traditional" approach, but that is what we are doing here.

While I have the greatest respect for the accumulated knowledge of yoga over thousands of years, I am also wary of the complexity that tends to creep in whenever human beings focus more on the means than on the end. So that is why AYP is so simple and easy -- and non-traditional. For more particulars, see lesson #188 on AYP mantra design at http://www.aypsite.org/188.html

As for the traditional approaches to mantra, I'm sure we'd all love to hear more, particularly on how the most simple and effective means for our enlightenment can be effectively applied. If we are looking at mantras as an academic study, or as part of a study of Sanskrit, then that is fine. But let us be clear on what is effective practice and easily assimilated by everyone versus what is a fascinating academic study.

We are pretty much "in the trenches of yoga" here, focused on real causes and real effects, so pardon me if this comes across as more utilitarian than scholarly. We can do scholarly too, but it is not nearly as much fun (or consequential) as having Shiva (inner silence) and Shakti (ecstatic conductivity) in a full-blown orgy going on everywhere in the nervous system.

The guru is in you.
Go to Top of Page

snake

United Kingdom
275 Posts

Posted - Jan 10 2006 :  1:40:15 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
Good reply Yogani which helps to put it in perspective for me
thanks
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
AYP Public Forum © Contributing Authors (opinions and advice belong to the respective authors) Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.06 seconds. Snitz Forums 2000