Other Systems and Alternate Approaches
 So Ham versus Hong Sau
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

snake

United Kingdom
276 Posts

Posted - Jan 20 2006 :  12:12:25 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Message
Just for the record Yogananda gave Hong Sau and the traditions say Ham Sa and some reverse and say So Ham or some So Hung.
Is this just variations of regional language or eg does Ham sa actually pronounce like Hong Saw.

Just something that I wondered about for many years and there seem to be a few mantra exponents here
Thankyou

mystiq

India
62 Posts

Posted - Jan 21 2006 :  01:42:24 AM  Show Profile  Visit mystiq's Homepage  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
I had been doing this method for a few years till I started AYP. Now I dont do it often. What I do is repeat SO on inbreath and HAM on out breath then HAM on inbreath and SA on out breath. This is dont repeatedly depending on the flow of breath. I have found this to be very relaxing.

mystiq
Go to Top of Page

riptiz

United Kingdom
741 Posts

Posted - Jan 21 2006 :  09:09:40 AM  Show Profile  Visit riptiz's Homepage  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
Hi,
Soham is a mantra on it's own and is the sound of the breath. So is the inbreath and Ham is the outbreath.
L&L
Dave

'the mind can see further than the eyes'
Go to Top of Page

Victor

USA
910 Posts

Posted - Jan 21 2006 :  10:33:17 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
I puzzled over this for awhile some years ago because it felt abstract, but it is really not. the Saa song is not from the tongue as it is spoken but more the sound of the in breath vibrating the sinuses in the head as the breath is taken in and smelled and the prana is absorbed from the nasal cavities. The Haam sound is the exhaled breath vibrating the throat as the warm released breath leaves the body,so that by doing that mantra the harmony of breath comes.
Doing the opposite doesn't feel as harmonious to me but maybe it is an energetic reversal of some sort.
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
AYP Public Forum © Contributing Authors (opinions and advice belong to the respective authors) Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.03 seconds. Snitz Forums 2000