Kundalini - AYP Practice-Related
 Abdominal Twitching
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

BluesFan

USA
35 Posts

Posted - Nov 26 2007 :  4:45:26 PM  Show Profile  Visit BluesFan's Homepage  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Message
I have this strange occurrence of muscle (or something) spasms just below my belly button. The first time this ever happened was a couple of years ago when I learned and started practicing kriya pranayama (which is very close to spinal breathing). Now it's possible there may be no connection at all but when I quit pranayama for awhile, the spasms stopped also. And they weren't just happening during pranayama but at many other times throughout the day...this went on for weeks.

It's not just a sensation, there is actual movement that you can see down there. It's not painful but distracting. I'm bringing it up here because it has started happening again (yes, I'm practicing spinal breathing & meditation very regularly again). This time it seems to have shifted a little to the right. Just strange twitching & movement in that area. I even mentioned it to a doctor who basically had no idea what it could be. It's happening as I write this. Has anyone else experienced anything like this? Any ideas? I do some pretty intense weight lifting and physical activity so I guess it could be related to that but I don't think so.

Jim and His Karma

2111 Posts

Posted - Nov 26 2007 :  6:08:00 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
This sort of thing happens. It's normal. I actually have the exact same thing. Eventually you'll also get what I call the cell phone calls....the feeling that a phone in "vibrate" mode keeps going off in various parts of your body. It's all part of the process.

It's always wise to get a doctor's input, but when they seem absolutely flustered and mystified, you can pretty much bet it's a yoga thing.
Go to Top of Page

Jim and His Karma

2111 Posts

Posted - Nov 26 2007 :  6:09:10 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
BTW, it's a good time to take a couple pilates classes, since you have very sensitive and responsive core muscles with this action going on.
Go to Top of Page

BluesFan

USA
35 Posts

Posted - Nov 26 2007 :  6:30:20 PM  Show Profile  Visit BluesFan's Homepage  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply

It's funny you use the term vibrating because originally that's how I would have described it. I switched to 'twitching' or 'spasming' once I could visibly see that there was crazy physical movement going on down there. (Really freaked my wife out!) I have also had more muscle twitching in general going on lately, usually repetitive in a single spot almost like the muscle is going to contract and cramp but it doesn't. I've considered the possibility that it's due to yoga practices but have downplayed that in my mind. Sometimes I wonder if we fall victim of some kind of kundalini-chondria as we get more involved with this stuff. (Ex: "Gee, I'm farting alot more than usual these days, must be kundalini going on...")

I'm glad to hear you have this same thing. The issues around and below the belly button have direct correlation with practices for me so I'm pretty sure that's the cause. What a weird sensation huh! I'm not positive but I think there is some yogic significance to that part of the body (2nd or 3rd chakra maybe?).
Go to Top of Page

Kyman

530 Posts

Posted - Nov 26 2007 :  7:10:24 PM  Show Profile  Visit Kyman's Homepage  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
You can get it in the legs to, as the structures deep within begin to relax. If you take a few deep breaths and relax so the all the air escapes your lungs, you will most likely experience them. A normal part of the relaxation process.

I agree with Jim, pilates would be great. Stretching is fantastic for the body, too. When you are sensitive, it feels fantastic. You can relax into a very deep stretch without hurting yourself if you concentrate deeply and breath slowly. Once you find a good pace you can make some serious headway, as this helps to even out the ups and downs. Instead of intense meditations for a while and then meditations that seem to struggle, you hover between the two extremes.

Once you can relax and feel empty within, energy will flow through the nervous system causing different behaviors. You might look up or down, your stomach or another region spontaneously contracts. These simple movements seem strange but they lead into more purification, and when you get to that point it all starts to make sense on an intuitive level.

I've been doing the chin tuck for a couple years now and it has freed my neck and chest region. Recently I've felt this 'freeness' opening up the lower chest and solar plexus area. When the kundalini flows through this region, my stomach will flex, huff, and puff, and breath with the energy. I've read about this behavior and have simulated a few times but only recently has it become more automatic and natural. This has to do most directly with the stretches and positions I've been doing to free up the energy, but indirectly it has to do with patience.

The experience of these new sensations will always be popping up. They are good signs to see, as your inner silence flies by them. When you watch a set of dominoes fall, you don't stop at one of the fallen dominoes to miss the climax. You observe with an unmoved focus the dynamic action until the set is over and a new one begins.

Edited by - Kyman on Nov 26 2007 7:44:44 PM
Go to Top of Page

BluesFan

USA
35 Posts

Posted - Nov 27 2007 :  11:16:34 AM  Show Profile  Visit BluesFan's Homepage  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
Thank you Jim and Kyman for your responses. It's great to be able to discuss this stuff with people who are going through or have gone through similar experiences.

I have another post under this same topic talking about the experience of having the electric current shoot up my spine during pranayama/meditation. That has been the only occurence of something physical that disrupted and frightened me as a result of these practices. The only reason it was frightening was due to the intensity and suddenness of the experience. I haven't had it happen again yet and I don't know if that's a good or a bad thing.
Go to Top of Page

Jim and His Karma

2111 Posts

Posted - Nov 27 2007 :  12:18:12 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
Bluesfan, there's nothing wrong with scaling back if you're feeling jumpy. Do less, and/or for less duration for a while until things smooth out. This path is not about toughing stuff out. It's about slow and smooth. Move gently into the changes.

One thing that helps....if you haven't already, establish a sambhavi mudra in pranayama (it'll likely carry over to meditation). This helps draw the current to third eye, rather than crown.
Go to Top of Page

Kyman

530 Posts

Posted - Nov 27 2007 :  2:15:19 PM  Show Profile  Visit Kyman's Homepage  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
No problem, Blues, glad to share.

I remember the first time I felt a current rise up my spine, through my heart, and up into my brain. I had no base of experience to interpret it. It was new, and my body responded with beads of sweat and a spike in my heart rate. The adrenaline could be felt and tasted in the back of my mouth.

The body is doing a good job of keeping you alive and well. It's duty is to shock the conscious mind into paying attention to strange sensations like the one you described. Once the body realizes it is safe, a strange experience becomes another small bump on the road (out of mind).

This is probably the clunky part of a new practice or mode of biological function. You'll get quite used to it, and countless similar experiences to come.

Edited by - Kyman on Nov 27 2007 2:21:09 PM
Go to Top of Page

LittleTurtle

USA
342 Posts

Posted - Nov 27 2007 :  3:55:40 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
Yeah, I have these experiences also. It's on the left side of my abdomen for me. Like a muscle is jumping or something. And I have what Jim calls the "cell phone" vibrations up and down from root to throat, mostly just above the pubic bone. In fact I have lots of automatic yoga, and yes, for me it stopped when I stopped all practices for a couple months. I also have the meditation induced "tinitus", the "shimmering sound". And that stopped also when I temporarily stopped practices. It's all wierdly nice.
Go to Top of Page

Jim and His Karma

2111 Posts

Posted - Nov 28 2007 :  10:37:05 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
A few quick suggestions, LittleTurtle:

1. rather than quit practices when something goes wrong, try scaling back. Yogani's suggestion that we "honor the practice" by doing at least something at the appointed hour is a very, very good one. Ceasing practices entirely is as drastic a move as, say, tripling meditation time. Gentler adjustments, in both directions, work best.

2. tinnitus-like symptoms are common with increased energy. it's nothing to worry about.

3. assymetry in energy issues ought to be addressed (re: your left-side-of-abdomen thing). If you practice asana, I'd suggest lots of spinal twists. During pranayama, you might want to very very gently favor the right side of your spine for a while. Energy follows attention. It's important not to get in the habit of doing things, favoring things, or generally directing the process during practice...just do this for a while until things are more even. And, again, I want to reemphasize: just a very VERY gentle favoring, nothing pushy or intense. Imagine putting one grain of salt in a pot of soup.

Edited by - Jim and His Karma on Nov 28 2007 10:38:10 AM
Go to Top of Page

LittleTurtle

USA
342 Posts

Posted - Nov 28 2007 :  5:02:53 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
Jim,
1. I quit my practices for about two months, and it proved to work well for the incredible situation I was going thru.

2. The tinitus is not a problem. Rather an affirmation of the practices working.

3. The assymetry is most likely due to abdomenal scarring from surgery. i'm not bothered about it.
Go to Top of Page

Jim and His Karma

2111 Posts

Posted - Nov 28 2007 :  11:11:17 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
There's no doubt that quitting practices works as a remedy to overdoing. My point was that a less severe/extreme route may have also worked. Of course, that's for everyone to judge for themselves. I'm mostly just making the point for those reading along.
Go to Top of Page

BluesFan

USA
35 Posts

Posted - Nov 29 2007 :  12:57:28 PM  Show Profile  Visit BluesFan's Homepage  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
Kyman - That's exactly how my body reacted to that first strong current up the spine; heart racing, beads of sweat, and a moment of "oh s#&*". I knew what it was but it still freaked me out for a minute or two because it was intense. I know it really doesn't mean much but does give one some unmistakeable confirmation of the physical changes occuring due to these practices. And I'm not experiencing anything that makes me feel like I need to cut back (yet). At this point I just do 10 minutes of spinal breathing followed by 20 of meditation, morning and evening.

Question for you, Jim, and Turtle...do you practice asanas and if so, how important of a role do you think they play in your overall routine? I've never felt very compelled to get into yoga postures but lately I'm starting to think that I should. If nothing else, I'd like to increase my flexibility. Do you guys recommend starting out in a class or just using books/videos?
Go to Top of Page

Jim and His Karma

2111 Posts

Posted - Nov 29 2007 :  8:51:47 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
For flexibility, for health, a big yes. Definitely start with a class so bad habits don't engrain. It really can't be learned from books/tapes (they work as an adjunct) IMO. As a spiritual pursuit, asanas are good if you're too anxious or distracted or neurotic or unhealthy to meditate. It breaks down the big blocks so your energy straightens out enough to do the more fine-grade polishing work of meditation. If you're already meditating, asana is mostly for health (though it's also useful as a toolbox for energy issues like asymmetries). I recommend Iyengar yoga, which has very well-trained teachers who make sure everything's safe and that good habits are engrained. Some people prefer ashtanga, which is a more rigorous "workout" sort of yoga where you do all the postures in a quick flow (Iyengar is more about doing each pose for a long time, honing the details)
Go to Top of Page

BluesFan

USA
35 Posts

Posted - Nov 29 2007 :  11:04:40 PM  Show Profile  Visit BluesFan's Homepage  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
Thanks Jim. I get enough workout in other areas, I'd just be more interested in learning the poses and getting better flexibility. What's the best way to find a good Iyngar yoga class in my area?
Go to Top of Page

Jim and His Karma

2111 Posts

Posted - Nov 30 2007 :  09:34:57 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
http://www.bksiyengar.com/modules/T.../teacher.asp
Go to Top of Page

folrsi30

1 Posts

Posted - May 17 2008 :  10:11:54 AM  Show Profile  Visit folrsi30's Homepage  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
Has anyone else had any updates? I've had MRI's, ct scans, emg's spinal tap -- they all seem to can't explain the abdominal twitching -- i had that same feeling that went up my spine after i was taking muscle relaxants and then twitching my entire body.

not sure what to do, its over a month now. I had been taking lovastatin for about a month prior to this and was working out with my bowflex and running on the treadmill. but stopped the statin after a month, but it's been a month since i've taken that and it still is painful in my lower back and my neck. the dull pain first started with my lower abdomen area and now the twitching in my lower abdomen will not stop.

Anyone who has any insight would be greatly appreciated.
Go to Top of Page

Tibetan_Ice

Canada
758 Posts

Posted - May 18 2008 :  01:10:36 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
quote:
Originally posted by Tibetan_Ice

quote:
Originally posted by folrsi30
Anyone who has any insight would be greatly appreciated.

Hi folrsi30
I have seen a meditation that is supposed to be good for curing wind and channel diseases in a book called the "Clear Light Of Bliss" by Geshe Kelsang Gyatso.

The exercise is called "meditating on a hollow body".

For background information, read Page 42 of this book using the "Search inside" function:
http://www.amazon.com/Clear-Light-B...p/0948006218

Because page 43 is missing, here is the meditation:

quote:

First we regard our body as being in its normal form - made of skin, flesh, bone, blood, and so forth - and then we strongly imagine that all the contents of our body melt into light and gradually disappear into emptiness, leaving only our skin like an empty shell. Once this meditation is stable, we imagine that our skin becomes clear and transparent, without any physical resistance, like a rainbow. If, during any stage of our practice, if we experience trouble from wind disease, we should do this meditation until the difficulty subsides, even if it takes several days or weeks.

TI

Edited by - Tibetan_Ice on May 18 2008 01:14:26 AM
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
AYP Public Forum © Contributing Authors (opinions and advice belong to the respective authors) Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.06 seconds. Snitz Forums 2000