New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Previous Page
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 3

themysticseeker

USA
342 Posts

Posted - Dec 17 2008 :  08:57:54 AM  Show Profile  Visit themysticseeker's Homepage  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
quote:
Originally posted by selfonlypath

Hey TMS,

I totally agree with what you wrote about shaman except that you seem to only focus on path of the plants. Please remember shamanism provides many other major paths (see some examples in http://www.aypsite.org/forum/topic....page=2#29566 ).

Both yoga or shaman at some point can be trapped by ego attachment in siddhis (magic powers) acquisition preventing self-realisation but shaman path is more dangerous because the siddhis gained via nature elements (earth) are much more direct & powerful than siddhis gained via mental concentration (sky) as found in yoga.

A real yogi or a real shaman is omniscient hence has been able to fully open sky door (kundalini ascension) & earth door (kundalini descension) to prepare the real opening of the heart door. Finding such authentic soul in this plane of existence is really difficult because of many false yogis & false shamans only trapped in power games.

Albert

Hi Selfonlypath, I'm not familiar with these various paths of shamanism. What is your basis for asserting these paths exist? The tribes are so diverse. Is this framework present in both the Hopi and the Bo for example? Is this framework coherent throughout the Earth? Thank you.

TMS
Go to Top of Page

selfonlypath

France
297 Posts

Posted - Dec 17 2008 :  09:40:17 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
quote:
Originally posted by themysticseeker
Hi Selfonlypath, I'm not familiar with these various paths of shamanism. What is your basis for asserting these paths exist? The tribes are so diverse. Is this framework present in both the Hopi and the Bo for example? Is this framework coherent throughout the Earth? Thank you.

Well for example, path of the rythm (drumming and/or dancing) is really found whatever tribe throughout our planet and times.

Other paths, it is true that not all tribes use this framework classification because it depends on many factors http://www.cauldronfarm.com/writing/eightfold.html

Edited by - selfonlypath on Dec 17 2008 09:44:16 AM
Go to Top of Page

themysticseeker

USA
342 Posts

Posted - Dec 17 2008 :  11:01:20 AM  Show Profile  Visit themysticseeker's Homepage  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
quote:

quote:

Well for example, path of the rythm (drumming and/or dancing) is really found whatever tribe throughout our planet and times.

Other paths, it is true that not all tribes use this framework classification because it depends on many factors http://www.cauldronfarm.com/writing/eightfold.html

This is very fascinating. Thank you for sharing this link. It seems to me that this person has stumbled upon something I've stumbled upon. In my meditations, I've seen this continuum and describe it as "The Ancient Way." The designation of "Horse's Path" is equivalent in concept to Tantric Buddhist "Deity Yoga." The writer of this linked article also uses the term "Eightfold Path." I'm sure there were tribal ascetics and tribal tantrics. You mentioned the heart door as the final stage; the Hopi and the Tantric also emphasize the heart door as the final resolution of balancing the others.

This is all an evolution of practice. It seems we have to take the best of what works and develop it in our continuum. For example, I see that perhaps "Deity Yoga" as presented to the Tibetans by the Indians one thousand years ago was adapted in Tibet with Tibetan faces interpreted as deity representations. Whereas, the iconography is decidedly Indian. So too, AYP adapts Indian yoga to a Western audience. All these aspects of the continuum we will now adapt to the Western continuum. Which is essential, because the Western mind is fixated on objectivity and rational coherence. The opportunity is ripe for highly trained professionally educated people to adapt the ancient ways in a logically cohesive and methodically effective manner.

TMS
Go to Top of Page

selfonlypath

France
297 Posts

Posted - Dec 18 2008 :  12:19:23 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
quote:
" The designation of "Horse's Path" is equivalent in concept to Tantric Buddhist "Deity Yoga."

Yeap & this book written by Kelsang Gytaso provides the best description to my knowledge where one can find the same source between shamanism & vajrayana http://books.google.com/books?id=pw...28V8C&pg=PP1
Go to Top of Page

themysticseeker

USA
342 Posts

Posted - Dec 19 2008 :  07:42:03 AM  Show Profile  Visit themysticseeker's Homepage  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
quote:

quote:
" The designation of "Horse's Path" is equivalent in concept to Tantric Buddhist "Deity Yoga."

Yeap & this book written by Kelsang Gytaso provides the best description to my knowledge where one can find the same source between shamanism & vajrayana http://books.google.com/books?id=pw...28V8C&pg=PP1

I'm actually in the middle of reading this. Fascinating. --TMS
Go to Top of Page

Adam_West

Australia
4 Posts

Posted - Mar 19 2009 :  10:01:44 PM  Show Profile  Visit Adam_West's Homepage  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
Albert, thanks for the quote from your Quechua shamanic friend, and your elaboration! I would love to hear more of your experiences, training and practices from this tradition!

In kind regards,

Adam.
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 3 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Previous Page
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
AYP Public Forum © Contributing Authors (opinions and advice belong to the respective authors) Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.05 seconds. Snitz Forums 2000