Other Systems and Alternate Approaches
 Meditation and awareness
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

solo

USA
167 Posts

Posted - Mar 19 2009 :  06:06:15 AM  Show Profile  Visit solo's Homepage  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Message
The person that introduced me to meditation first started me out with 20 minutes of buddhist meditation (following the breath) tice a day. She then told me to move my awareness down one side of my body and up the other during my morning session for the entire session.
Which I did until I switched over to AYP.

I am curipous to know though what this practice of moving your awaereness through your body during meditation accomplishes? Anyone have any thoughts?

Possibly trying to break up blockages? Every so often I go back to this meditation rather than AYP. But I still wonder what the purpose is.

cosmic_troll

USA
229 Posts

Posted - Mar 19 2009 :  7:44:33 PM  Show Profile  Visit cosmic_troll's Homepage  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
quote:
Originally posted by solo

I am curipous to know though what this practice of moving your awaereness through your body during meditation accomplishes? Possibly trying to break up blockages?

Possibly. I don't have any experience with this practice, but a common idea is that "where thought goes, energy flows". Say if you put your awareness in your left hand, supposedly energy moves there whether you feel it or not.

In AYP practices, the purpose would be purification (see Spinal Breathing Pranayama).

I would guess that the method you described may have a similar purpose. But I don't know. I'd ask your friend...

quote:
Originally posted by solo

Anyone have any thoughts?

Not while I'm meditating

Peace
cosmic
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
AYP Public Forum © Contributing Authors (opinions and advice belong to the respective authors) Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.06 seconds. Snitz Forums 2000