AYPsite.org Forum
 Yamas & Niyamas - Restraints & Observances
 pick, chew, swallow
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

bewell

1275 Posts

Posted - Aug 06 2007 :  11:03:41 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Message
I'm fasting today, and so am very aware of my impulses to eat various things, even this: In private, sometimes I pick my nose and eat what came out, sometimes I chew and eat my nails. "Bad habits" I've been told -- end of discussion. And yet I have continued, secretly. Alas, today, with this message, my secret is exposed.

Does yogic tradition have anything to say about these particular "bad habits?"

bewell

1275 Posts

Posted - Aug 06 2007 :  12:42:55 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
In regard to the nasal passages, I'm reminded of the value of nasal irrigation with a neti pot. I have done it in the past. I shall resume daily nasal irrigation today! I see neti has been discussed here before. For example, in this thread:
http://www.aypsite.org/forum/topic....TOPIC_ID=443

But what about the nails? Any specifically yogic wisdom?

Edited by - bewell on Aug 06 2007 1:57:09 PM
Go to Top of Page

bewell

1275 Posts

Posted - Aug 06 2007 :  1:40:05 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
About the nasal cleanse: I've opted for a squeeze system instead of the traditional neti pot. Surprisingly, my local drug store had three types to choose from. I opted for this one:
http://www.sinucleanse.com/?source=...e&campaign=1

Very refreshing. And the pressure seems to give a nice little kechari buzz. I can see myself doing this twice daily as part of a routine along with brushing my teeth.

About my nails: Of course the mainstream answer is to do regular trimming and filing. Ok, I'll do that. But I'm still wondering, is there a more traditional yogic angle?

Edited by - bewell on Aug 06 2007 2:03:10 PM
Go to Top of Page

Etherfish

USA
3615 Posts

Posted - Aug 06 2007 :  7:50:38 PM  Show Profile  Visit Etherfish's Homepage  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
Or for people who don't want to spend any money and nasal cleanse, you can just cup your hands filled with water, and press one thumb against a nostril and suck in the other nostril. Then do the other side.
Go to Top of Page

bewell

1275 Posts

Posted - Aug 08 2007 :  08:14:33 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
quote:
Originally posted by Etherfish

...just cup your hands filled with water, and...

I like the simplicity of method. Reminds me how much I've bought into consumerism and collect excess tools.
Go to Top of Page

Shanti

USA
4854 Posts

Posted - Aug 08 2007 :  12:22:13 PM  Show Profile  Visit Shanti's Homepage  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
quote:
Originally posted by bewell

quote:
Originally posted by Etherfish

...just cup your hands filled with water, and...

I like the simplicity of method. Reminds me how much I've bought into consumerism and collect excess tools.

Hi Bewell,
The "cup your hands filled with water" is an excellent technique and actually it may be more convenient if you use a bowl rather than "cup with your hands". This is considered a slightly more advanced technique (than the neti pot) and not very easy for some to do. Also, keep in mind.. when you do jala neti.. you need to find the right concentration of salt that needs to be added to the water to make this practice comfortable.. (the correct salt content in the water will determine the comfort of this practice and is different for different people.. you need to experiment with the salt content to find what works for you.). So you could mix the salt in warm water in a bowl and then pour it into the cup of your hand, or just use the bowl.
The Neti pot (or the squeeze system, one that you selected) is really more convenient for most. Yogani's new book Diet, Shatkarma and Amaroli covers both these techniques of Jala Neti... quote from this book..
quote:
There is also another way, which is using a bowl
instead of neti pot, and drawing the water up directly
through our nasal passages with negative pressure
from the lungs, rather than a neti pot, which relies on
gravity to pass water through the nasal passages.
Using a bowl for jala neti is a more advanced
procedure, but not nearly as difficult or risky as it
might seem when first considering it.
Go to Top of Page

bewell

1275 Posts

Posted - Aug 08 2007 :  6:05:43 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
quote:
Originally posted by Shanti
Yogani's new book Diet, Shatkarma and Amaroli covers both these techniques of Jala Neti...

Thanks Shanti, I had not known Yogani's latest was out.

I downloaded the ebook and in the intro read this: "Here we will take a look at everything that goes into the body, as well as what comes out of it, with an eye for promoting good health."

It strikes me that, as is often the case with Yogani's new releases, this book addresses a problem that just came to the surface of awareness for me.

I see he has a chapter on fasting.

Edited by - bewell on Aug 08 2007 6:57:34 PM
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
AYP Public Forum © Contributing Authors (opinions and advice belong to the respective authors) Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.04 seconds. Snitz Forums 2000