Discussions on AYP Pranayama, Mudras and Bandhas
 jerking and twitching
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

DougSmith2

Canada
5 Posts

Posted - Jul 07 2007 :  9:42:24 PM  Show Profile  Visit DougSmith2's Homepage  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Message
I have been practicing pranayama for around 3 weeks now. I am experiencing some pretty serious jerking and twitching recently during my deep meditation. I usually do the spinal breathing for 3 to 5 minutes and then meditate for around 15. My head has always swayed from side to side in varying degrees since i began meditating 7 months ago. Now it looks as if i am having some sort of controlled seizure. My head will start shaking, then it will go to my chest/arms and they will start shimmeying, then my legs will start to shake rapidly and the jerking will go back and forth. It is usually in one area at a time. Also when i am trying to sleep at night, my head and feet will shake sometimes and find it difficult to sleep. I am unsure of what to do. Will this smooth out and go away? Im not necessarily bothered by these displays as my advancement in yoga/consciousness is my highest priority.

glagbo

USA
53 Posts

Posted - Jul 07 2007 :  11:35:18 PM  Show Profile  Visit glagbo's Homepage  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
quote:
Originally posted by DougSmith2

My head will start shaking, then it will go to my chest/arms and they will start shimmeying, then my legs will start to shake rapidly and the jerking will go back and forth.

Hi DougSmith:

You might consider adding some Asanas to your practice routine before the Spinal Breathing Pranayama. Asanas are designed to smooth out the opening process in Pranayama and Meditation by loosening up some of the grosser obstructions from the body/nervous system.

See AYP Lesson 71 - Yoga Asanas – ...

Peace,

B.R.V.

Edited by - glagbo on Jul 07 2007 11:58:48 PM
Go to Top of Page

yogani

USA
5195 Posts

Posted - Jul 08 2007 :  12:30:46 AM  Show Profile  Visit yogani's Homepage  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
Welcome Doug!

Also see the lessons on "Automatic Yoga and Movements" listed in the Topic Index.

It is the "friction" of inner energy moving through the purifying neurobiology, and it will all smooth out in time. Prudent self-pacing in practices is the key to navigating through over the long term, maintaining good progress with comfort.

All the best!

The guru is in you.
Go to Top of Page

Mattimo

25 Posts

Posted - Jul 08 2007 :  4:16:55 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
Not to worry DougSmith 2, I am sure it will pass. While I haven't taken up pranayama yet, I am also experiencing jerking and twitching during meditations and even when I am about to go to sleep. I have woken up on more than one occasion because my arm has suddenly flailed to the side. At least we know something is working.

Have fun

Edited by - Mattimo on Jul 08 2007 4:26:36 PM
Go to Top of Page

anthony574

USA
549 Posts

Posted - Jul 08 2007 :  5:35:02 PM  Show Profile  Visit anthony574's Homepage  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
I get the twitches during meditation sometimes as well, however, they are pretty subtle, similar to what happens to people when they are falling asleep. I have read somewhere that twitching is a sign that the body is enterting deep relaxation.

If you are experiencing a very dynamic and dramatic twitch or movement, then perhaps it is because of some nervous activity caused by your practices.
Go to Top of Page

anthony574

USA
549 Posts

Posted - Jul 08 2007 :  8:38:57 PM  Show Profile  Visit anthony574's Homepage  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
actually, a little while after reading this post I did my evening sadhana and it happened to be a particularly deep session. during the meditation i actually experienced my first sideways-jerk in the head and i thought of you!
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
AYP Public Forum © Contributing Authors (opinions and advice belong to the respective authors) Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.05 seconds. Snitz Forums 2000