AYPsite.org Forum
 Discussions on AYP Pranayama, Mudras and Bandhas
 Question about Spinal breathing
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

atena

113 Posts

Posted - Jul 15 2007 :  11:36:50 AM  Show Profile  Visit atena's Homepage  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Message
Should the duration of exhale and inhale be same?

It feels natural for me that inhale is shorter because
my throat is more open then.

emc

2072 Posts

Posted - Jul 15 2007 :  12:11:07 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
Hi, Atena and very welcome to the forum!

The inhale is usually shorter, and there's no "have to's" in spinal breathing. It is the way it is, and if it alters during practices of after some while with practices - let it!

See for example Yoganis answer in this thread:

http://www.aypsite.org/forum/topic....OPIC_ID=2362

I know Thich Nhat Hanh has explained that the more you practice this kind of slow breathing, the inhale and exhale will draw towards becoming more equal in length. But that will happen naturally and you don't have to make an effort to do it.
Go to Top of Page

Shanti

USA
4854 Posts

Posted - Jul 15 2007 :  12:51:59 PM  Show Profile  Visit Shanti's Homepage  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
Welcome Atena.
I agree with EMC. Do what feels natural and comfortable to you. And yes, during inhale, your throat is open, so the duration is shorter, during exhale, we generally close our epiglottis slightly so that there is a small restriction of the air leaving the lungs... this makes the exhale a bit longer. As long as you are following your breath up the spine from root to 3rd eye and then back down.. you are doing fine.

Wish you all the best.

Edited by - Shanti on Jul 15 2007 1:05:22 PM
Go to Top of Page

Kyman

530 Posts

Posted - Jul 15 2007 :  2:51:12 PM  Show Profile  Visit Kyman's Homepage  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
Using the subtle restrictions suggested do not seem at first that important, but it fits the process. There a number of uses of 'good form' that can move the process along and promote a steady progression without fewer ups and downs.

Edited by - Kyman on Jul 15 2007 3:20:16 PM
Go to Top of Page

atena

113 Posts

Posted - Jul 15 2007 :  3:09:21 PM  Show Profile  Visit atena's Homepage  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
Thank you!
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
AYP Public Forum © Contributing Authors (opinions and advice belong to the respective authors) Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.05 seconds. Snitz Forums 2000