Discussions on AYP Deep Meditation and Samyama
 Drowsiness or automatic yoga?
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

anthony574

USA
549 Posts

Posted - Apr 15 2007 :  4:05:23 PM  Show Profile  Visit anthony574's Homepage  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Message
Ok, actually I have two questions. I really need some guidance on this. I have read the other thread about automatic yoga and Yogani's article...but I'm not sure if it applies to me.

1. I have been doing Deep Meditation with I AM for about 5 days now. I find it is becoming easier to focus and relax into deep states of relaxation. Something strange has been happening however. I sit on a pillow on the floor in half-lotus posture, usually in a dim room with candles or ambient lights. I have always used this in my practice as I live in an attic and very little sunlight gets through anyway. I have meditated for a while now before using AYP and I have never found there to be any drowsiness. Lately, with what I consider to be increased success with the mantra, I have found that often my thoughts drift off...but it is not the normal drifting off I've experienced, it's much more "involved" and for moments I lose association with my surroundings. It feels a lot like when you're dozing off in class or on a bus and you find yourself somewhere else until you snap out of it and realize you are simply dozing. Also, during meditation, I will find my upper body wanting to fall forward onto the floor. It is not involuntary, but it is a strong urge. It also causes me to slouch sometimes, which I think is counterproductive. Does anyone else ever experience this phenomenon?

2. Also, I live in an attic like I said. I live in Maryland and we are in a cold season. The attic is chlly, but I prefer to meditate, do asanas/stetches/and pranayama with little clothes. I usually only wear gym shorts and never get cold because I am warmed up by the movements and breathing. Even during meditation I never experience body coldness. However, after my recent experiences with meditation, I do find myself wanting rest afterwards so I lay down for 5-10 mins and notice I start getting tingly chills on my skin, but they are not so that I want to clothe myself.

Scott

USA
969 Posts

Posted - Apr 15 2007 :  4:53:32 PM  Show Profile  Visit Scott's Homepage  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
1. I also experienced both of those things, which I think may be specific to the mantra "i am". The waking up sensation will get more intense. At least it did for me. It doesn't say this in AYP instructions, but I don't think slouching is good for the energy. It's just a sign that the energy isn't working correctly, so I choose to sit up straight and have my body show the energy where it needs to go.

2. Take a blanket with you.
Go to Top of Page

Shanti

USA
4854 Posts

Posted - Apr 15 2007 :  5:26:30 PM  Show Profile  Visit Shanti's Homepage  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
Hi Anthony,

Welcome to the forum.

The drowsiness during meditation may be a sign of falling asleep... and, as you may or may not already know.. that is a good thing... In Lesson 17 - Meditation Q&A – Was I asleep?, Yogani says..

quote:
Meditation sometimes produces a sleep-like state, like you described, but the physiological parameters are different. The metabolism goes much lower than in sleep. Heart rate and breathing are much slower than in sleep, nearly stopped. The body and mind come to a state of complete silence, while still awake inside. The level of rest in the body and mind in meditation is deeper than sleep. It is a different kind of rest that removes impurities; obstructions to consciousness that sleep cannot reach.

So a lot of purification is going on.. which is good.. yes?

The head wanting to reach the ground, is a form of automatic yoga.. and the cause and solution as pointed out by Yogani in Lesson 183 - Q&A – Movements and automatic yoga is...
quote:
Sometimes movements point to "automatic yoga" positions. For example,
if you feel compelled to go down to the mat with your head and torso
while sitting
, this is the sushumna (spinal nerve) wanting to stretch
itself for more purification. If you do some maha mudra as part of
your asanas before pranayama and meditation it can help pre-empt the
tendency during sitting practices. The basic version of this is a
sitting toe grab with legs out straight and head toward knees with
chin toward chest. Or, if your head and torso irresistibly want to go
down during sitting practices, then let them for a few minutes. Or
you can let yourself go into it for as long as necessary at the end
of your sitting practices. It is a natural expression of the
connectedness of yoga through your nervous system.

Obviously, we don't want to interrupt our sitting practices too much
with spontaneous yoga positions, but sometimes these things happen,
so we let them if the urge gets to be strong enough. The best way to
minimize movements in pranayama and meditation is with a good set of
asanas before we start. And, if the movements become too much, we do
as we always do when symptoms of purification become excessive. We
use self-pacing in our practices and back off for a while until we
find stability in our routine, and continue from there. When we hit a
few pot-holes in the road, we slow down until the road smoothes out
again.

The cold that you are feeling is energy moving.. sometimes energy is in form of heat , sometimes its minty cold..

All of these things you are feeling right now, the drowsiness, the head wanting to move down, the cold energy... are all signs of purification. If these happen during practice and are not causing you any discomfort, just continue.. if however, these are overflowing into your daily life and/or causing you discomfort.. and if it gets too much to handle. make sure you self pace.

Look at Tips on Managing Practices for some more symptoms you may come across along the way.

You are doing very well. Keep it up.

Wish you all the best.

Edited by - Shanti on Apr 15 2007 9:55:00 PM
Go to Top of Page

Shanti

USA
4854 Posts

Posted - Apr 15 2007 :  5:44:44 PM  Show Profile  Visit Shanti's Homepage  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
PS: If you feel drowsy during the rest of the day however, it is a sign of overdoing. Self pace accordingly. Also make sure you take plenty of rest coming out of meditation.. if required take a short nap..
Go to Top of Page

anthony574

USA
549 Posts

Posted - Apr 15 2007 :  10:08:43 PM  Show Profile  Visit anthony574's Homepage  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
Wow, I wasn't aware it was such a good sign. Like I said, the movements aren't involuntary, but certainly very strong. Whereas for some people sleep comes so naturally that they can fall asleep while on airplanes or in seated positions for example, sleep has never come so easily for me, so for me to imagine falling asleep while in a half-lotus position on a hard floor when I'm not in any way sleep-deprived is somewhat improbable. I worry about the tendency to slouch however. I have never had this happen before, but now it is as if I become so relaxed my body does not want to retain an upright position anymore. I am aware Yogani reccomends the use of back support...but I prefer to meditate in my "shrine" area and gain some motivation from doing such things "old school".
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
AYP Public Forum © Contributing Authors (opinions and advice belong to the respective authors) Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.06 seconds. Snitz Forums 2000