Discussions on AYP Deep Meditation and Samyama
 So all I do is say I AM 1000 times???
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

anthony574

USA
549 Posts

Posted - Apr 13 2007 :  5:14:21 PM  Show Profile  Visit anthony574's Homepage  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Message
Hello.

I have been practicing Yogani's deep meditation for a couple days now. Having somewhat obsessive-compulsive and overanalytical tendencies, I have been majorly stressing during meditation about how to say I AM. I have found others on this board with similar questions...but they do not seem to answer mine.

1. When "saying" I AM in my head, am I literally supposed to "think-say" I AM over and over, or simply say it then concentrate on the phrase instead of actively repeating it?

2. When saying I AM, do I connect the two syllables into IIIAMMM or say them seperately? Do I say it fast or slowly, accentuating the vibratory qualities?

3. Am I supposed to repeat it at rhythmic intervals (not based on breath, as I've learned)? I keep getting caught up in the issue of repeating it at even intervals. If I feel that is wrong, then the arbitrary decision to say I AM seems to detract from the meditative passivity. If I say it rhythmically, it seems more trancelike and maybe more automatic. Either one seems wrong to me.

4. Am I supposed to simply repeat the phrase and imagine its sound, or am I supposed to try to "hear" it in my head?

Please don't tell me I'm overanalyzing what I'm sure is a very simple task, because I already know this. But the questions I pose seem legitimate as I believe a technical deviation could really hinder my progress. Thank you for your help.

anthony574

USA
549 Posts

Posted - Apr 13 2007 :  10:14:54 PM  Show Profile  Visit anthony574's Homepage  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
5. Also, I AM is pronounced like speech right? For example "I AM a person", and not I AHM or something else?
Go to Top of Page

VIL

USA
586 Posts

Posted - Apr 13 2007 :  10:37:01 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
quote:
yogani: After about a minute, gently introduce the
thought …I AM… and begin to repeat it easily and effortlessly in your
mind. If your mind wanders off into other thoughts, you will
eventually realize this has happened. Don't be concerned about it. It
is natural. When you realize you are not repeating the mantra, gently
go back to it. This is all you have to do. Easily repeat the mantra
silently inside. When you realize you are not thinking it, then
easily come back to it. The goal is not to stay on it. The goal is to
follow the simple procedure of thinking the mantra, losing it, and
coming back to it when you find you have lost it. Do not resist if
the mantra tends to become less distinct. Thinking the mantra does
not have to be with clear pronunciation. I AM can be experienced at
many levels in your mind and nervous system. When you come back to
it, come back to a level that is comfortable, not straining for
either a clear or fuzzy pronunciation.

http://www.aypsite.org/13.html

Welcome, anthony574:

Don't worry about saying "I AM" the wrong or right way, just let it flow naturally and go with whatever feels comfortable with your own rhythm:

VIL

Edited by - VIL on Apr 13 2007 11:01:48 PM
Go to Top of Page

emc

2072 Posts

Posted - Apr 14 2007 :  07:15:45 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
I agree with VIL. If you want to hear Yogani talk about the mantra (and even hear him say it) you can listen to the radio show on Deep meditation here: http://www.aypsite.com/audio.html

Nevertheless, your point nr 4 is interesting to me. You are supposed to repeat the mantra but not imagine anything. Just mind-say it in your head. I started doing that, but now, after a couple of months, it has become like you describe it: I start it off, but then I just listen to it. It is there all by itself, and I "hear" it in my mind. Always in different ways, changing its rythm and sound. I don't care. I just focus on it and listen. That change came all by itself. I did not have to do anything, and I don't know if that is correct or wrong. I just let it be that way, and it seems to work just fine.

Thank you for mentioning it!
Go to Top of Page

Richard

United Kingdom
857 Posts

Posted - Apr 14 2007 :  08:08:58 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
Hi anthony574/emc

quote:
Nevertheless, your point nr 4 is interesting to me. You are supposed to repeat the mantra but not imagine anything. Just mind-say it in your head. I started doing that, but now, after a couple of months, it has become like you describe it: I start it off, but then I just listen to it. It is there all by itself, and I "hear" it in my mind. Always in different ways, changing its rythm and sound. I don't care. I just focus on it and listen. That change came all by itself. I did not have to do anything, and I don't know if that is correct or wrong. I just let it be that way, and it seems to work just fine.

Yes this is great and quite correct it doesnt always happen for me but when it does it seems like perfect deep meditation.
The mind has an annoying habit of complicating simple things that work, it says to you anything this good must be more complicated than this and you start trying to control the mantra, letting it just go its own way and just bringing the attention back to it when the mind wanders is perfect. Seeing this point come up is good for me as well. Its good to get back to basics sometimes.
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
AYP Public Forum © Contributing Authors (opinions and advice belong to the respective authors) Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.05 seconds. Snitz Forums 2000