Asanas - Postures and Physical Culture
 Body building without weights
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

Hunter

USA
252 Posts

Posted - Mar 05 2007 :  12:22:33 AM  Show Profile  Visit Hunter's Homepage  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Message
http://www.bodybuilding.com/fun/mahler19.htm

The excercises consist of:

-Hindu squats

-Hindu push-ups

-"The back bridge"

-Handstand push-ups

Instructions for these are all in the above link.

For my own practice, I have included the Suryanamaskar series of movements.

P.S. It feels sooooo good to perform these excercises right after meditation.

Edited by - Hunter on Mar 05 2007 12:25:03 AM

Jack

United Kingdom
305 Posts

Posted - Mar 05 2007 :  04:12:59 AM  Show Profile  Visit Jack's Homepage  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
Hello Hunter,

I am aware of Matt Furey's royal court series, focussing on these movements.

I would like to point out that the back bridge is NOT a good general exercise for the back - it is used very RARELY by wrestlers, aside from that it is shied away from due to the potential injury one can cause to themselves.

A much safer version is to keep the same basic movement, but keep your head and shoulders on the floor. You can still get a decent arc, but you are being supported thoughout. You can also clasp hands and draw them away from your head, to stretch the shoulders. This is a traditional yoga asana.

But yes - I enjoy the other moves regularly.

Jack
Go to Top of Page

Hunter

USA
252 Posts

Posted - Mar 05 2007 :  10:32:37 AM  Show Profile  Visit Hunter's Homepage  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
Thank you for the advice and caution Jack. I will try the version of "back bridge" that you suggested.

For other readers who may try these excercises, like any other practice, please go slow, find out how your body responds, and build a firm foundation in the basic movements in order to facilitate a safe practice.

Again, much obliged to you Jack, I appreciate your help.

Hunter
Go to Top of Page

Etherfish

USA
3615 Posts

Posted - Mar 05 2007 :  11:08:16 PM  Show Profile  Visit Etherfish's Homepage  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
Matt is not really doing the bridge correctly. I do a "pro dancer" workout every sunday with a guy who is extremely flexible. He has combined techniques from the navy seal exercises, capoeira, and dance moves.
Anyway, he always has us do the bridge, then bridge push-ups. He says all of the bend must be in your upper back or it's bad for your back. You are supposed to form a straight line from your hips to your ribs, and the bend starts at that point. he is still able to touch his nose to the ground as a variation.
All of our exercises are without weights or equipment (except for a sticky mat) but they're different than Matts. Also our trainer does 16 one armed pushups on each side! (He lets us use both arms and just favor one.) No he's not muscle-bound at all. He's skinny and 8% body fat. His doctor told him don't let it get any lower or he'll die.
He eats whatever he wants, but just gets massive exercise.
Go to Top of Page

Hunter

USA
252 Posts

Posted - Mar 22 2007 :  1:14:01 PM  Show Profile  Visit Hunter's Homepage  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
Exercise video tutorials, created by Mr. Richard Blackman:

http://z12.invisionfree.com/FLF/ind...owtopic=1530

Exercise programs and more videos:

http://z12.invisionfree.com/FLF/ind...howforum=265
Go to Top of Page

Etherfish

USA
3615 Posts

Posted - Mar 22 2007 :  9:03:42 PM  Show Profile  Visit Etherfish's Homepage  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
i love this stuff!
All of the professional dancers I know do exercises without equipment, and they are awesome athletes, and some are so flexible it's scary. One guy from Haiti can bend backwards and touch his heels with his hands! Then he can walk on "all fours" in that position! The first time I saw it I felt sick, like he broke something.

I believe it's the natural way to exercise, and you can build almost any muscle that you can with equipment.
But flexibility is what impresses me, and you don't get that from weights. One of the dancers i know went on to perform in Cirque de Soliel. I remember when we stretched before classes, she would do stuff like the chinese splits (legs out to the sides, facing forward). Then she could put her chest on the floor without rotating her hips forward at all.
The body is amazing.
Go to Top of Page

Hunter

USA
252 Posts

Posted - Mar 23 2007 :  3:28:48 PM  Show Profile  Visit Hunter's Homepage  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
Glad you enjoyed the videos, Ether.
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
AYP Public Forum © Contributing Authors (opinions and advice belong to the respective authors) Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.05 seconds. Snitz Forums 2000