AYPsite.org Forum
 Asanas - Postures and Physical Culture
 Sorting out the yoga terms
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

emc

2072 Posts

Posted - Mar 01 2007 :  04:25:43 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Message
I am ready to start learning asanas. However, I have now had a look around the town and see courses in so many types of yoga, that I am totally lost! What types of asanas is there, how are they categorized, and what do the different terms stand for? In short - is there a system, and if so, what does the system look like?

It seems to me that either people misunderstand or misuse some terms, or define it in their own way.

If you look here at AYP in the glossary it says
Ashtanga yoga - Means, “eight limbed yoga.” A system of yoga practices based on the eight limbs of yoga from the Yoga Sutras of Patanjali.

So... it seems it is the whole thing, not only the asanas, but when you go to a yoga center here in town they say they teach "Ashtanga yoga" but only offer asanas...

Is Ashtanga Vinyasa yoga something else or a part of it?

If I go to a place in town asking for Ashtanga yoga classes I will get instructions on making the "sun-greeting-asana" (Yes, you will have to put up with my non-correct home made yoga terms for a bit longer until I have learned it correctly!) and a quite tough physical yoga session. They will say "if you want less physical training, go to a hatha yoga class, it's much softer."

So I read on AYP:

Hatha Yoga – Means, “joining of the sun and moon.” A system of yoga practice focusing on purifying the nervous system through physical postures (asanas), breath control (pranayama) and related means.

Wiki says:
quote:
Hatha yoga, also known as Hatha vidya, is a particular system of Yoga introduced by Yogi Swatmarama, a sage of 15th century India, and compiler of the Hatha Yoga Pradipika. In this treatise Swatmarama introduces Hatha Yoga as 'a stairway to the heights of Raja Yoga', hence a preparatory stage of physical purification that renders the body fit for the practise of higher meditation. This practise is called shatkarma. The word Hatha is a compound of the words Ha and Tha meaning sun and moon and refers to the principal nadis (energy channels) of the subtle body that must be fully operational to attain a state of dhyana or samadhi. In other respects Hatha yoga follows the same principles as the Raja Yoga of Patanjali including moral restraint yama and spiritual observances niyama. Hatha Yoga is what most people in the West associate with the word "Yoga" and is practiced for mental and physical health throughout the West.

quote:
Raja Yoga (lit. Royal Yoga) is the system of yoga outlined by Patanjali in his Yoga Sutras. It is also sometimes referred to as Ashtanga (eight-limbed) yoga because there are eight aspects to the path to which one must attend. Raja yoga is concerned principally with the cultivation of the mind using meditation to further one's acquaintance with reality and finally achieve liberation.

Gaaah! To me this seems totally circular! Like all terms cover the others in one way or the other!

And then I may chose Kundalini yoga, which I have tried a few times, and then there are totally other kinds of asanas, and from what I understand the aim is purely to wake up kundalini.

Are all asanas available sorted in any special way? Is it several systems from different teachers beside eachother or are they heavily overlapping? I am totally confused. I'd like to se a map of ALL asanas available and then see where the line is drawn between what is called "Ashtanga vinyasa", "Kundalini", "Hatha" etc... I know there are probably a hundred more terms of different kind of yoga...

And what type of asanas do you recommend for me to start with? The ones used in AYP - are they Ashtanga, Hatha, Raja, Kundalini, all, some or none of this?

Edited by - emc on Mar 01 2007 04:29:42 AM

emc

2072 Posts

Posted - Mar 04 2007 :  04:23:56 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
shivakm put the question in a much more direct and simple manner regarding sun salutation. I'll try to imitate and see if I get some more answers if the question is broadened a bit :

What is the best way to learn more about the asanas Yogani has proposed as a starter kit? Should I go to a yoga class? If so, how would I know what kind of class to look for when all classes have so many mysterious names?

(I begin to wonder if the only possibility is to walk around town with the book, show the asanas and ask "could you teach me THIS type of asanas?")

Edited by - emc on Mar 04 2007 04:25:21 AM
Go to Top of Page

Manipura

USA
870 Posts

Posted - Mar 04 2007 :  06:48:23 AM  Show Profile  Visit Manipura's Homepage  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
Hi E! I wrote a rather long-winded reply to your post a few days ago, realized afterward that it had little to do with your question, and deleted it. I'm a longtime novice at yoga - never found it to be all that engaging, and thus my response should be read with the understanding that I do my asanas by rote and without passion.

It's important to include yoga as part of the twice daily meditation routine. You'll notice the difference once you start. There's no need to understand all the roots, limbs, and branches of yoga to receive the benefits, so rather than trying to grasp it intellectually from afar, I'd suggest that you jump right in and do a firsthand study of it. Take classes in whatever style you fancy, and ask your teacher lots of questions, as she should be a great source of info on her chosen style. You'll eventually get a feel for which type interests you, and come away from it with a better understanding of its benefits.

I don't like classes. I practice Smorgasbord yoga, meaning that I've taken what I like from various classes, and created a routine that's about 20-30 minutes, which I do right before sitting meditation. The disadvantage to this is that if I'm doing an asana badly, there's no one to point that out, so I keep it simple. Hatha yoga is the most popular style, and a class in that will teach you the basic asanas that Yogani refers to.

Definitely start. Just do it.
Go to Top of Page

david_obsidian

USA
2602 Posts

Posted - Mar 04 2007 :  10:33:33 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
EMC said: Gaaah! To me this seems totally circular! Like all terms cover the others in one way or the other!
Meg said: I practice Smorgasbord yoga

The collection of Yoga teachings/practices is just a smorgasboard, EMC, and people do sometimes try to systematize it, dividing it into different major groupings, like Hatha, Bhakti, Raja and Jnana. But they are all part of a systematic whole, and the boundaries between these are not always entirely clear or sharp.

Then on top of that you have Yoga schools -- or mini-traditions -- like Kundalini Yoga, Kriya Yoga, Ashtanga Vinyasa Yoga. These are not necessarily different types of Yoga, just the curriculum of these schools have their own particular emphasis. Then on top of that add the fact that schools that differ are calling themselves by the same name -- and very similar schools are calling their Yoga by different names. (I don't know any fundamental distinguishing characteristic between Kundalini Yoga and Kriya Yoga that applies in all cases. )

And that's about it. If you have trouble unifying it and sorting it out, it is because it is actually conceptually fuzzy, so don't worry. Just make sure you are getting the right amount -- and the right kind -- of the smorgasboard food.

Most schools are a little short of something that is on the whole smorgasboard, or emphasize something that is not necessarily so effective. AYP is a strong rishi's compilation of the best and most essential menu items.

Go to Top of Page

emc

2072 Posts

Posted - Mar 04 2007 :  1:09:34 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
THANK YOU meg and David!

You just saved me from spending an enormous amount of time and trillion tons of money! I could never manage to "try a little here and there" - it would be too expensive for me.

quote:
Meg: The disadvantage to this is that if I'm doing an asana badly, there's no one to point that out, so I keep it simple. Hatha yoga is the most popular style, and a class in that will teach you the basic asanas that Yogani refers to.

So Hatha yoga is the best shot then! And the reason you mention is exactly the one I think of. I would like someone to give more direct feed-back on my performance!

quote:
David: Then on top of that you have Yoga schools -- or mini-traditions -- like Kundalini Yoga, Kriya Yoga, Ashtanga Vinyasa Yoga. These are not necessarily different types of Yoga, just the curriculum of these schools have their own particular emphasis. Then on top of that add the fact that schools that differ are calling themselves by the same name -- and very similar schools are calling their Yoga by different names.

Aha! So there are some who try to collect some of the asanas in schools anyway! Thank you for the info. So it's a "Judean People's Front"-situation here! Great! Then I know how to deal with yoga persons in the future!
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
AYP Public Forum © Contributing Authors (opinions and advice belong to the respective authors) Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.06 seconds. Snitz Forums 2000