Why do I cry? - on spiritual social conduct
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Next Page
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 2

emc

2072 Posts

Posted - Mar 04 2007 :  05:32:45 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Message
I think I might start to understand something here, but I would appreciated your thoughts on this. It is one of my "what-is-going-on"-questions that has been visiting my mind for a while.

I do not meet many spiritual persons, but when I do, I experience different things, and I wonder how that could be understood, and/or delt with, since it has got to do with new "social codes" that I am not familiar with. It would be fun to hear if you recognize the happenings and your different ways of social conduct:

1. With or without eye-contact, I feel almost a "buzzing" energy from the other person, often in my stomach, sometimes being so strong I could get a bit nauseous. I have a feeling I must put up a "shield" to not be invaded by the other person's energies. (It could be associated to "radiance" but I do not believe this is "ecstatic radiance".)

2. With eye-contact for a longer while - a feeling of using energy from my third eye to reach the other person's third eye - a bubble can be created, a private space where non-verbal communication is not only possible, but occuring rather spontaneously. This is however still with a strong feeling of separateness. "I" am stepping into an "energy space" where I meet the other person. The quality of the energy feeling may vary a lot, from the softest baby cotton feeling to a Kafka like twisted feeling.

3. Directly on first eye-contact I feel an enormous love, respect and awe. I see such beauty and tears bubble up in my eyes. I have a feeling of being able to "see the other person's soul", and what I see is so clean and pure. There is no sense of energy flying around, and I am so touched, because at the same time I have this feeling of "seeing the other person's soul", I know I see myself. The mirror effect.

Do you recognize these types of encounters? What are your thoughts on it? To me these things still "just happen" to a large degree, and I respond to it in the best suitable way in the moment. But it has made me start to wonder how people handle energy, radiance, stillness, if there are any new manners I should be aware of, if there are any social norms in this area of "greeting and meeting"...?

Just open for discussion on any angle...

Edited by - emc on Mar 05 2007 06:16:51 AM

Wolfgang

Germany
470 Posts

Posted - Mar 04 2007 :  09:15:12 AM  Show Profile  Visit Wolfgang's Homepage  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
My thought on this is: you are mainly seeing yourself, your own divinity.

It becomes interesting if you start communicating your feelings with the
other person. Start with finding out how the other person feels and see
what develops from this ...

Edited by - Wolfgang on Mar 04 2007 12:14:17 PM
Go to Top of Page

emc

2072 Posts

Posted - Mar 04 2007 :  1:13:48 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
In case 3 I think I do too, but what is mine and the others one's part in the first two examples?

Do you go into such "bubbles" with persons as a way of saying hello, Wolfgang? If so, are you doing it deliberately or is it just "happening"? And if you do it deliberately - how do you do it?
Go to Top of Page

Wolfgang

Germany
470 Posts

Posted - Mar 05 2007 :  03:39:54 AM  Show Profile  Visit Wolfgang's Homepage  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
Hi emc !

I am still in the process of finding my true self,
so in most cases I am still in my own universe.
I have a desire to share and I wish to communicate
on a deep level.
As to your question: I do not know where you are in your universe,
so, I just can share my thoughts on points 1 and 2.
I have experienced this bubble space you mention, though of course
there are various degrees. It usually just happens, but of course
there must be a willingness and a certain desire in both persons.
So, that kind of desire may be the only way of deliberately
attracting such situations.
The art of communicating is delicate. I believe, if we just stay
in eye contact without verbal communication, we easily get lost
in our own universe, and then we are not truly sharing.
My personal feeling about your situation (I may be wrong though):
you are very very sensitive to others energy field, but you may
also be interpreting too much into it.

kind regards
Wolfgang

Go to Top of Page

emc

2072 Posts

Posted - Mar 05 2007 :  05:34:11 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
Thanks for your reply, Wolfgang.

quote:
The art of communicating is delicate. I believe, if we just stay
in eye contact without verbal communication, we easily get lost
in our own universe, and then we are not truly sharing.

This is interesting! Why I raise this topic is sort of blurry to me still, but if I try to track my associations backwards, this thinking has been born out of four things:

- The thread on ecstatic radiance and the energy field that is increasing in us all through meditation and how that affects others
- Other topics we have discussed where it has been discussions of whether everything OUT THERE ONLY triggers what I have inside - my own energies - or not.
- Observations of what happens in groups and between people who meet in spiritual gatherings. I see this "eye-contact-bubble-creation" happening all the time, and I wonder what that actually is, and mostly the purpose of it.
- My own experiences described above, which I feel quite distinct differences between.

For me it has been such a change to start to feel energies and learn how to handle them. I think I am now in a phase where I have to learn how to handle them together with others. I notice there seem to be "codes of conduct", at least here in Sweden. Is that a local habit, or is it something that just happens when you meet another spiritual person? Is it a "new social norm on meeting and greeting and uniting" I have to learn? So that's why I am curious of how you behave when you meet others.

It is also brings further questions on terms that suddenly change their meaning

- What is integrity, if you can impose yourself energetically on others - where are your boundaries and how do you keep them?
- What is polite behavior? I have heard some speak of the importance of "spiritual hygiene", to not use your energies to influence people etc.
- When bubbles appear, do you use your spiritual power for new ways of socializing based in ego, or are you reaching deeper states because it is the divine creating unity that way?

Edited by - emc on Mar 05 2007 06:19:50 AM
Go to Top of Page

Wolfgang

Germany
470 Posts

Posted - Mar 05 2007 :  12:13:32 PM  Show Profile  Visit Wolfgang's Homepage  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
You wrote:
- What is integrity, if you can impose yourself energetically on others

I try as much as I can not to impose myself on others.
Many times the other thing happens: others are trying to impose themselves
on me (many times they succeed, but I am learning to cut off in such cases)

- where are your boundaries and how do you keep them?

Where are my boundaries: I don't think I have to worry about them,
I am quite a shy person, so that automatically is my boundary

- What is polite behavior? I have heard some speak of the importance
of "spiritual hygiene", to not use your energies to influence people etc.

Sure, this is a no-no, it's just a power struggle

- When bubbles appear, do you use your spiritual power for new ways of socializing based in ego,
or are you reaching deeper states because it is the divine creating unity that way?

Well, it's nice and tempting to bath in spiritual power, but this is
not my goal. Spiritual energy, feeling divine bliss, feelings of
ecstatic shivers, this is what I delight in, but not power.

If I have to consider certain "codes of conduct" (not really sure
what you mean by it), this sounds to me very limiting,
I would always have to watch what I am allowed to do ...

Another aspect you may consider: if you feel in awe of another
person, and you feel the other person is spiritually higly
evolved, it may very well be that the other person is basking
in your admiration ...
If there is equal give and take, then it would be ok.

my 2cts
Wolfgang
Go to Top of Page

emc

2072 Posts

Posted - Mar 05 2007 :  3:22:43 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
Great to read about your experiences, Wolfgang! Thank you for being so open and sharing, and for being so kind to answer my confused posts.

With social conduct I mean polite behavior towards others. For example, a researcher called Goffman have made some very interesting experiments and observations on "micro social behaviors" - the salutation ritual is rather well explored. We raise our eye brows, makes a sound of a greeting and nodd our heads etc. Now I find a totally new salutation ritual that I a) don't understand and b) sometimes feel very uncomfortable with, so I just wonder if you folks could help me to understand this.

I can't help being a bit curious of how it works in AYP meditation groups for example. From what I understand there are a few persons here on forum that gather groups. What kind of "greeting" procedures do you have in your groups? Do you stare into each other's eyes deliberately to get some kind of spiritual contact when you meet?

*preparing even more silly questions, just keep watching the forum for my next issue...*

Edited by - emc on Mar 05 2007 3:27:48 PM
Go to Top of Page

Hunter

USA
252 Posts

Posted - Mar 05 2007 :  5:47:00 PM  Show Profile  Visit Hunter's Homepage  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
Sister EMC,
I will share with you such a cute greeting that a man named Father Charles Moore writes and speaks of; and it represents his ideal of how people will eventually interact with one another. It is quite simple, what one person says to another: "Hello me, I am you, adopt me!" AAAAAAAA tra la la, la la...Isn't that fun?! Just to say it makes me want to skip around and laugh...

Love, Hunter
Go to Top of Page

Anthem

1608 Posts

Posted - Mar 05 2007 :  10:05:33 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
quote:
"Hello me, I am you, adopt me!" AAAAAAAA tra la la, la la...Isn't that fun?! Just to say it makes me want to skip around and laugh...

I like it Hunter, hilarious!

Hi EMC!
quote:
This is interesting! Why I raise this topic is sort of blurry to me still, but if I try to track my associations backwards, this thinking has been born out of four things:

A suggestion, unless you are having a lot of fun with it, don't bother tracing your associations backwards, just be here and now and listen to the thought trips the mind wants to make.

Mind likes to make sense of things, line them up and know where to fit in or how it fits in. Let the figuring out of it go, clarity comes from being in the moment when the situation presents itself, confusion comes from being in "mind rules" or thought constructs which a situation doesn't perfectly fit itself into.

Don't bother making sense of it or creating rules or labels for what you see or encounter in the world, they are just temporary comforts at best. Keep bringing yourself back to the present, to here and now every chance you get. What's happening right now?

peace and love to you,

A

Go to Top of Page

Sparkle

Ireland
1457 Posts

Posted - Mar 06 2007 :  10:55:33 AM  Show Profile  Visit Sparkle's Homepage  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
Hi emc
You asked the question
quote:
I can't help being a bit curious of how it works in AYP meditation groups for example. From what I understand there are a few persons here on forum that gather groups. What kind of "greeting" procedures do you have in your groups? Do you stare into each other's eyes deliberately to get some kind of spiritual contact when you meet?

I think greetings vary from group to group and what influences people have.
The AYP group I am priviledged to lead usually greets with an affectionate hug between individuals. This is probably because most of the people come from a healing background and that seems to be the norm in my area.

The zen group I attend would greet in a very ordinary way except occasionally you might get a bow with folded hands.

The eye contact you describe is interesting, I have come across it as an exercise between people. I really like it as an exercise myself, to look into another's eyes, be aware of the egos in the eyes and go beyond this. To go beyond is so beautiful.
I would guess the people in that group would have done this exercise and perhaps carry it through as part of their greeting - but that's a guess.

At the end of it all, a spiritual gathering is a bunch of ordinary people just like any other gathering and greeting vary accordingly.
Personally I like the hugs.

Regarding your increased sensitivity to energy, there are of course boundaries that go with this but nothing that would not already be there in the psychological world you are familiar with.
I think inner silence and the associated witnessing of the scenary is the bedrock we sit in.

Something that might be worth watching and becoming aware of are the effects of very negitive people in the group, if any. If you are feeling a bit low and vulnerable yourself you could be affected. I experienced this myself recently. But its all learning and you will quickly learn how to handle it.

Hope this helps
Louis
Go to Top of Page

Kyman

530 Posts

Posted - Mar 06 2007 :  5:15:28 PM  Show Profile  Visit Kyman's Homepage  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
Whenever I see a benevolent act my heart gets this feeling as if it were skipping a beat. It is easy at times to get this flash sensation in the body, followed my slightly watered eyes.
Go to Top of Page

Hannah

38 Posts

Posted - Mar 06 2007 :  7:56:24 PM  Show Profile  Visit Hannah's Homepage  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
Hello emc -

I found your original post fascinating because I am currently reading a book called Soul Love by Sanaya Roman right now and it has much of what you described. Just thought I'd throw that out there.
Go to Top of Page

emc

2072 Posts

Posted - Mar 08 2007 :  3:19:04 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
Anthem, thanks for your reminder! I just feel, though, it is important for me right now to learn how to stear my etheric body in the world.

Sparkle, your answer is very appreciated!
quote:
I would guess the people in that group would have done this exercise and perhaps carry it through as part of their greeting - but that's a guess.
I'd say that's a very good guess. There are many who have gone to several courses, and I have done that excercise as well on my qi gong. So, based on the very scarce response and seemingly non-recognition of this phenomenon I'd say the "staring and vibing in on each other" is a local social code that has been constructed, a method deliberately for greeting. That is good for me to know, because many of these tell me I am inhibited and blocked of fear when I don't want to do like that. For me it's more my usual non-conform psyche that rejects more and more social norms. I don't do things because "I should". I have never done that, and even less now when I have realized how "false" our social norms are - that they are even more of a non-necessary construction than I've ever believed. "Conditioning" is a term with a totally new meaning to me - I have moved from the psychological definition to the spiritual. So when social norms form in spiritual settings under the notion of being "more true" or whatever, I don't buy it. This way of greeting does not increase spiritual growth, increase unity or increase love between people. Practices do. At the most it gives pleasent sensations and gives strength to the idea that "happiness comes from outside, I am dependent on other's to feel good" - when in fact happiness, experiences of unity and love is agricultured from within. Socializing with others is great. But for totally different reasons, in my humble opinion at the moment. (Who knows, tomorrow I might have another view )

I am quite sensitive to negative people in groups. I easily suck up what's in the room and has to work hard either to let the low frequent energy flow through me back to Earth, or I have to make a "shield", a light cocoon around me to keep other's out.

Kyman, nice to hear you also get watered eyes! I think that when that happens you are more "open" and less "mindy".

Hannah, Thanks for the info on the book! I'll check it out!

Thanks all, for answering! Much appreciated!

Go to Top of Page

Sparkle

Ireland
1457 Posts

Posted - Mar 10 2007 :  06:59:02 AM  Show Profile  Visit Sparkle's Homepage  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
emc wrote:
quote:
I am quite sensitive to negative people in groups. I easily suck up what's in the room and has to work hard either to let the low frequent energy flow through me back to Earth, or I have to make a "shield", a light cocoon around me to keep other's out.

Here is a method of protection I discovered recently. It has been so powerful for me I have been telling everyone about it.
In fact it seems like there is far more to it than protection because it has a dramatic effect on my energy and well being. This has also been the experience of the six or so other people who have been trying it.

It is simply to interlink the two hands together by closing the thumb and forefinger or thumb and both forefinger and index finger.
So it is like two links of a chain joined together. (hope this is clear enough)

This alone is enough to change my energy experience dramatically (which for me is big because my energies are very subtle and mainly unfelt).
The other part of it is to surround oneself in a sphere of light.

I did this in one of our AYP group meditations and put the sphere around the whole group. There was a clear shift in the energy in the group, which was also felt stongly by others in the group.

I would be grateful if you would try this at some stage to see if it has an effect, and anybody else who is tempted to try it, I would be grateful for feedback.

Thanks
Louis
Go to Top of Page

Wolfgang

Germany
470 Posts

Posted - Mar 10 2007 :  12:47:01 PM  Show Profile  Visit Wolfgang's Homepage  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
quote:
Originally posted by Sparkle
It is simply to interlink the two hands together by closing the thumb and forefinger or thumb and both forefinger and index finger.

I like to try it.

Are you putting some tension on the chain or is the chain just loose ?
Just a few seconds or some minutes ?

regards
Wolfgang
Go to Top of Page

Sparkle

Ireland
1457 Posts

Posted - Mar 10 2007 :  12:51:39 PM  Show Profile  Visit Sparkle's Homepage  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
Hi wolfgang

The hand are in a relaxed condition, no tension. They can be rested in the lap if that is comfortable.

I have also tried it with several people interlinking each other this way and the effects have been noticeable for everyone.

Thanks
Louis
Go to Top of Page

Balance

USA
967 Posts

Posted - Mar 10 2007 :  12:56:14 PM  Show Profile  Visit Balance's Homepage  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
That's pretty cool Louis. Where did you learn that? I just tried it a couple of times sitting here by myself and noticed a calm, centering shift.
Go to Top of Page

Sparkle

Ireland
1457 Posts

Posted - Mar 10 2007 :  1:10:43 PM  Show Profile  Visit Sparkle's Homepage  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
Hi Balance
I found it on one of my internet trawls. I have looked for it again but havn't been able to find it.

It was simply described as a method for protection against negitive energies. Having being involved with healing groups for some time I have tried many many of these techniques, but none of them had an effect like this.
But like you, I just interlinked my fingers like that and almost instantly felt the difference. So me thinks there is something else going on besides protection.
In any case it feels good and very powerful for me and for everyone else so far.
Thanks for trying it
Louis
Go to Top of Page

Balance

USA
967 Posts

Posted - Mar 10 2007 :  1:18:53 PM  Show Profile  Visit Balance's Homepage  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
My pleasure. When I keep the links from touching I feel a definate radiation. Funny, something so simple never noticed before.
bALANce
Go to Top of Page

Richard

United Kingdom
857 Posts

Posted - Mar 10 2007 :  5:04:31 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
quote:
Here is a method of protection I discovered recently. It has been so powerful for me I have been telling everyone about it.
In fact it seems like there is far more to it than protection because it has a dramatic effect on my energy and well being. This has also been the experience of the six or so other people who have been trying it.

This alone is enough to change my energy experience dramatically (which for me is big because my energies are very subtle and mainly unfelt).

This is interesting Louis in contrast to you my energies are very unsubtle and easily felt maybe my nervous system has a lot more crud in it than yours .
My energy experiences are at there strongest in the evenings about an hour or so after eating. I only have to stretch or flex any part of my body to feel the energy flow there and a tweak of the perineum produces an instant flow of ecstatic conductivity up my spine

I tried your chain method and I immediately felt a strong sharp energy flow in my forearms. If i place the palms of my hands together I feel a very strong but softer energy flow in the heart region.

quote:
The other part of it is to surround oneself in a sphere of light.

This is a very old and well established practice I think it was Dion Fortune who made it popular in the occult world with her book Psychic self defence In the book she describes the aura as an egg shaped sphere of light and recommends visualising the outer surface as a hard blue shell to keep out negative energies..placing yourself in a blue bubble so to speak.

This certainly works whether it is an psychological effect or not I don't know but the energy flow experience obtained by that chain method is certainly very real, thank you for sharing that.
Go to Top of Page

emc

2072 Posts

Posted - Mar 11 2007 :  02:12:42 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
Yes, thanks a lot! And thanks Balance, for the notion that the links should not touch. I definitely feel the energies centering, but it flies up to my nose region.

Actually, I have also learned from the "wise woman" I consult sometimes that it is possible also to just say mentally "Please, all energies from X, leave me now". And that also works, but I have only tried it with one person, not in groups.

This conversation is lovely, by the way. Finally I feel some confirmation from this AYP bunch that everyday energy management is worth discussing. Thank you!

May I just add as a paranthesis, that this sensitivity of feeling energy qualities and pick up "what's in the air" is very disturbing when it comes to sex, sensuality, flirt and social conduct, and that is why I am a bit obsessed about such questions every now and then in forum. I try to figure out that part very hard right now. The energies from men who are projecting "Ah, what a beautiful, sexy woman" are really sticky and yucki. Sexual energy stemming from any objectifying thoughts on women based on looks and form is perceived by me as very negative and non-loving. It is so much pure egoism in it that it makes me feel sick sometimes. My personal belief is that that is the actual reason why Jesus said:

‘Do not commit adultery.’ But now I tell you:
anyone who looks at a woman and wants to possess her is guilty of committing
adultery with her in his heart.

And that is why for example Barry Long and Bernie Prior speak so seriously about "do not gaze at women on the street". What you actually do is you spread negative energy and it is felt and absorbed by women, leaving them with so much garbage energy, which, according to Barry Long, even is the foundation of disease in women.

My experience when cutting my hair and not being subject to so many gazing looks when moving in public was enormous. I was no longer a "sex object" receiving those sticky energies. I felt lighter and freer than ever. It was nothing I had expected, I just felt that sudden lightness and started to see that those gazing eyes were no longer on me like an octopusy's tentacles.

Just some female perspective on energies and social conduct, for what it's worth...

Edited by - emc on Mar 11 2007 02:16:25 AM
Go to Top of Page

Sparkle

Ireland
1457 Posts

Posted - Mar 12 2007 :  04:48:02 AM  Show Profile  Visit Sparkle's Homepage  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
quote:
Richard said: This is interesting Louis in contrast to you my energies are very unsubtle and easily felt maybe my nervous system has a lot more crud in it than yours .
I won't rise to that bit of crud

emc, I think you have raised some very important issues about the sexual conduct of men in society.
I think it stems from the physiological survival mechanism of the mating game - but we have to move on from there.

Have to go to work now, will add to this later.
Go to Top of Page

Richard

United Kingdom
857 Posts

Posted - Mar 12 2007 :  07:11:42 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
quote:
I won't rise to that bit of crud

Love it...I love clearing the crud out too
Go to Top of Page

jillatay

USA
206 Posts

Posted - Mar 12 2007 :  6:49:14 PM  Show Profile  Visit jillatay's Homepage  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
quote:
Originally posted by emc
Jesus said:

‘Do not commit adultery.’ But now I tell you:
anyone who looks at a woman and wants to possess her is guilty of committing
adultery with her in his heart.

And that is why for example Barry Long and Bernie Prior speak so seriously about "do not gaze at women on the street".

Buddha said the same thing about not looking at women. It is nice to see it has its reasons and not just anti woman sentiment, which is what it has become.

Thanks,
Jill
Go to Top of Page

emc

2072 Posts

Posted - Mar 13 2007 :  04:38:01 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
Thank you Jillatay. There are many enlightened or next to enlightened persons who bring that issue up in different ways.

quote:
Sparkle wrote: emc, I think you have raised some very important issues about the sexual conduct of men in society.
I think it stems from the physiological survival mechanism of the mating game - but we have to move on from there.

Actually, a thought have been pushing and developping in my brain for a while now, and I feel an urge to write it down. I'll try to be short and clear.

If we start with the issue of racism. "In practice, racism takes forms such as racial prejudice, segregation or subordination. Racial prejudice refers to pre-formed opinions about individuals based on their perceived racial heritage. It involves hasty generalizations about members of a group based on the perceived characteristics of one or more members of the group." (Wiki) Racism is fought on almost every formal level, it is well known to be an erratic and harmful way of thinking and behaving. The thought patterns are also well known to be based in our animal bio-psycho-social functioning. The ability to discriminate "ingroup" from "outgroup" based on external characeristics such as colour of skin has served as a mean for survival. Ingroup mean safety, outgroup is unknown and possibly dangerous.

Nevertheless, we have moved on from there! When it became clear how many problems (societal - economical, social, medical; personal - low self-esteem, alienation, feelings of being inferior etc) these automatic thought and behaviour patterns causes the process of eliminating racism and discrimination started. It is a human right not to be discriminated due to ethnicity, but we still struggle with informal "hidden" racism. Prejudice exist and dark coloured skin means not getting jobs, lower salary, lower status, not being noticed or acknowledged on social occations... In short: not being the first choice, being the "second" in the status hierarchy. We all know it is wrong, we all know it is not worthy treatment, we all know that when we become aware we can no longer keep beliefs about black people being any different in any way.

The similarities with how we treat beautiful-ugly people are astonishing. "In practice, the beauty myth takes forms such as prejudice, segregation or subordination. Beauty prejudice refers to pre-formed opinions about individuals based on their perceived looks. It involves hasty generalizations about the person based on the perceived external characteristics, for example that beautiful persons are more sexy, kinder, more caring, funny and intelligent than others." The thought patterns are well known to be based in our animal bio-psycho-social functioning. The ability to discriminate a healthy and fertile woman based on external characeristics such as BMI, WHR and facial symmetry has served as a mean for survival.

Nevertheless, we could move on from there! When it becomes clear how many problems (societal - economical, social, medical; personal - low self-esteem, alienation, feelings of being inferior etc) these automatic thought and behaviour patterns causes the process of eliminating the beauty myth and discrimination could start. It could be a human right not to be discriminated due to form and shape of body parts (shape of nose, eyes, breasts etc), but we are not there yet. We do not only have an official norm saying this is okey, we even have an enormous beauty industry promoting the erratic thought patterns. We struggle with informal "hidden" norms about beauty. Prejudice exist and being judged according to the societal norms on what is beautiful or not means for the less beautiful not getting jobs, lower salary, lower status, not being noticed or acknowledged on social occations (all of this is shown repeatedly with experiments in research)... We get alarm reports on small children who think they are too fat and start starving at the age of 7, teenage girls cut themselves of self-hatred because the do not look good enough, women doing beauty operations suffer from complications and sooner or later realize they only did it because of low self-esteem. In short: less beautiful persons are not being the first choice, they are the "second" in the status hierarchy.

Really, what is the difference between being judged from the colour of your skin or the shape of your breast or nose?

When we become aware, can we move on from there?

Edited by - emc on Mar 13 2007 08:27:40 AM
Go to Top of Page

emc

2072 Posts

Posted - Mar 14 2007 :  05:21:36 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
Doc is giving so many nice references that is in line with what I see is at hand on this issue.

quote:
Only the ordinary people think that Ahimsa is not to hurt any living being physically. This is but the gross form of Ahimsa. The vow of Ahimsa is broken even by showing contempt towards another man, by entertaining unreasonable dislike for or prejudice towards anybody...

All harsh and rude speech is Himsa (violence or injury). Using harsh words to beggars, servants or inferiors is Himsa. Wounding the feelings of others by gesture, expression, tone of voice and unkind words is also Himsa. Slighting or showing deliberate discourtesy to a person before others is wanton Himsa. To approve of another's harsh actions is indirect Himsa. To fail to relieve another's pain, or even to neglect to go to the person in distress is a sort of Himsa. It is the sin of omission. Avoid strictly all forms of harshness, direct or indirect, positive or negative, immediate or delayed. Practice Ahimsa in its purest form and become divine. Ahimsa and Divinity are one. /Sri Swami Sivananda

quote:
When one indulges evil, he casts aside his integrity. Once lost, it is hard to reacquire for the individual usually seeks not to recognize the truth of their miscreant deeds. Without truth, there can be no integrity and without integrity the path to ascension is but words wasted upon deaf ears.

Evil frequently has many pleasing faces. This is a necessity to enable getting close to you. Once within your acquaintance, evil tests to discover the limits of your integrity. It also looks you over closely to discover your needs. The knowledge of 'need' provides evil with a powerful weapon to make promises to you whilst conspiring to pick your pocket. The wish of a need fulfilled lures many into destructive and damaging circumstances./Unknown author

In a state of unawareness it is so easy to think that there is no harm done by enjoying looking at and prefering beautiful, attractive, sexy persons (no matter what the "beauty" is in the eye of the beholder). What could be wrong in that? But the subtleties... what is your behaviour at the same time toward those you find less attractive, who you are "entertaining unreasonable dislike for or prejudice towards"? Isn't it "showing deliberate discourtesy to a person before others" when you turn away from the ugly one (or your wife/man) to selfishly enjoy the company of the pretty one? What happens when you deliberately chose to smile toward a beautiful person and the smile is gone when the ugly person is turned to?

Combined with the energy movement I feel, I think I start to see a pattern. However, it is no guilt or blame in this. Only non-awareness. It is samsara. It is the way it is. And all participate in the game, no matter in which role. All are conditioned into these norms. But I do not think it is coincidence that masters take this as an example over and over again. I do not think it is coincdence that the women's movement have been shouting in anger about the state of affairs for so long. But the woman's movement will never succeed to get the message through with anger. Only with love and hightened awareness and practice of Ahimsa this will be changed.

quote:
First control your physical body. When a man beats you, keep quiet. Suppress your feelings. Follow the instructions of Jesus Christ in his Sermon On The Mount: "If a man beats you on one cheek, turn to him the other cheek also. If a man takes away your coat, give him your shirt also." This is very difficult in the beginning. The old Samskaras (impressions) of revenge, of "a tooth for a tooth", "tit for tat", "an eye for an eye", and "paying in the same coin" will all force you to retaliate. But you will have to wait cooly. Reflect and meditate. Do Vichara or right enquiry. The mind will become calm. The opponent who was very furious will also become calm, because he does not get any opposition from your side. He gets astonished and terrified also, because you stand like a sage. By and by, you will gain immense strength. Keep the ideal before you. Try to get at it, though with faltering steps at first. Have a clear-cut mental image of Ahimsa and its immeasurable advantages.

After controlling the body, control your speech. Make a strong determination, "I will not speak any harsh word to anybody from today". You may fail a hundred times. What does it matter ? You will slowly gain strength. Check the impulse of speech. Observe Mouna (silence). Practice Kshama or forgiveness. Say within yourself: "He is a baby-soul. He is ignorant, that is why he has done it. Let me excuse him this time. What do I gain by abusing him in return ?" Slowly give up Abhimana (ego-centred attachment). Abhimana is the root-cause of human sufferings.

Finally go to the thoughts and check the thought of injuring. Never even think of injuring anyone. One Self dwells in all. All are manifestations of One God. By injuring another, you injure your own Self. By serving another, you serve your own Self. Love all. Serve all. Hate none. Insult none. Injure none in thought, word and deed. Try to behold your own Self in all beings. This will promote Ahimsa. /Sri Swami Sivananda

Go to Top of Page
Page: of 2 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Next Page
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
AYP Public Forum © Contributing Authors (opinions and advice belong to the respective authors) Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.08 seconds. Snitz Forums 2000