AYPsite.org Forum
 Enlightenment Milestones
 six years is enough ?
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

Nameless

23 Posts

Posted - Jan 10 2007 :  4:47:17 PM  Show Profile  Visit Nameless's Homepage  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Message

I know different individuals grow at different rate but I think this can be a rough guideline.

It took Lord Buddha only about 6 years to become a buddha
he spent most of his time meditating under a bo tree.
I think it is possible to reach enlightenment within 6 years if we improve ourselves consistently.
He has chosen the middle path (non extreme/hardcore)

what do you think ?

I think I will start young and hold on to it :)

LOVE

Maximus

India
187 Posts

Posted - Jan 11 2007 :  03:31:30 AM  Show Profile  Visit Maximus's Homepage  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
Buddha might have been practising perfection in his previous lifetimes, you never know.
Go to Top of Page

Etherfish

USA
3615 Posts

Posted - Jan 11 2007 :  07:11:34 AM  Show Profile  Visit Etherfish's Homepage  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
We probably have also, and possibly more lifetimes than Buddha. So the remaining question is how much priority will we give it in this lifetime?
Go to Top of Page

riptiz

United Kingdom
741 Posts

Posted - Jan 11 2007 :  2:54:44 PM  Show Profile  Visit riptiz's Homepage  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
Hi Nameless,
I think you are being optimistic with 6 years.If the Buddha took 6 years and meditated almost continuously, then you are going to need a lot of money to supplement your life away from work while you spend all day meditating.My guru has told me it is possible in 10 years of hard work but even with 1 hr minimum daily I think I'm going to be struggling and I have had shaktipat and regulrly receive energies from my teacher to boost my progress.Good luck.
L&L
Dave
Go to Top of Page

trip1

USA
739 Posts

Posted - Jan 11 2007 :  3:49:38 PM  Show Profile  Visit trip1's Homepage  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
I think the answer to this question varies based on the individual, and in that case, I guess there's only one way to find out.
Go to Top of Page

yoginstar

Netherlands
78 Posts

Posted - Jan 11 2007 :  6:44:31 PM  Show Profile  Visit yoginstar's Homepage  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
Namaste Nameless,
I'm getting the drift of it, pondering your question for a while. The answer lies in the question and the question is the answer. You ask: What do you THINK. Methinks:-) that's the answer. Think it out. And it will reveal itself to be so as you say. For what are 6 years in Eternity after all? They could be 6 days.

Do you think there are any other questions to deal with beyond Buddhism and on towards Enlightenment? I wonder how many days there are in a year. That'll keep me busy thinking for a while if I go all the way to Eternity itself:-)
Ciao!

Go to Top of Page

Christi

United Kingdom
4380 Posts

Posted - Jan 12 2007 :  12:01:01 AM  Show Profile  Visit Christi's Homepage  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
Hi Yoginstar,
You should be a Buddha!
The Buddha (Siddartha Gautama) gave a discourse on this subject, and he said:
" Enlightenment can take 6 years, or 6 months, or 6 weeks, or six days, or 6 hours".
He also gave another discourse on the ephemeral nature of the appearance of time. It was a beautiful discourse and I will do it no justice here by quoting it from memory, but the jist of it was:
" Our whole life becomes as a flash of lightening, a drop of dew in the sunlight, a thing remembered".
Christi
Go to Top of Page

Nameless

23 Posts

Posted - Jan 12 2007 :  01:46:07 AM  Show Profile  Visit Nameless's Homepage  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
i think the range of time is so enormous

according to the northen Zen buddhism,
enlightenment might come instantly, as long as you manage to realize the truth

while in southern buddhism, enlightenment only comes in many lifetimes.
and I heard in hinduism, one has to go through many level of castes before one become enlightened.

I am more to the northen one :)

Looks like it is reasonable to go for 20 years with constant practice with a combo of other hard works like QiGong, EFT, tibetan mantras, breathing etc.
Go to Top of Page

Maximus

India
187 Posts

Posted - Jan 12 2007 :  02:41:09 AM  Show Profile  Visit Maximus's Homepage  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
The element of time aside, remember that Yogani says that full enlightenment is not possible without blending of inner silence with everyday activity. So continuous meditation disregarding other duties in life may not be the right path at all. Please refer to lesson http://www.aypsite.org/120.html which says
"Keep in mind that "getting enlightenment" is an ego strategy, and not likely to be completed in this life if it continues like that on the basis of "getting." This does not remove the necessity for practices to achieve progress. But getting enlightenment is a letting go. A paradox....."
Go to Top of Page

Kirtanman

USA
1651 Posts

Posted - Jan 12 2007 :  05:53:51 AM  Show Profile  Visit Kirtanman's Homepage  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
quote:
Originally posted by Nameless

i think the range of time is so enormous ...

Looks like it is reasonable to go for 20 years with constant practice with a combo of other hard works like QiGong, EFT, tibetan mantras, breathing etc.

Hi Nameless,

Welcome to the Forum (I know you've been around for a few days; I just haven't "cyber-met" you yet!)

"Enlightenment is the ending of the 'story of me' - that's it."
-- Adyashanti

(Several of us here in the AYP Forum enjoy Adyashanti - he's a "local enlightened guy" in Silicon Valley, California - and does a great job of communicating enlightened outlook, in very down-to-Earth terms. He's certainly in harmony with AYP, too - AYP is more practice-focused, Adyashanti is more energy-information focused.)

www.adyashanti.org

And here's a link to an article by Adya, addressing exactly the topic you raised ("How long will it take?") ...

http://www.adyashanti.org/index.php...writingid=21

And as far as how long it will take ....

Last night, in our local satsang, Adya mentioned that one of the greatest dangers for seekers of enlightenment (other than thinking there's a seeker, which is the biggest one .... and if statements like that make you nuts, don't worry .... they used to make me nuts, too. ) ---- is that everyone is convinced that enlightenment happens some time other than Now.

(But how could it?)

The Power of Now by Eckhart Tolle is also excellent in this regard -- as are the natural results of AYP practices.

(And I'm not talking about the "flashy" stuff, which Yogani has taught us to see, think of, and refer to as "scenery" -- I'm talking about the deep peace and awareness that comes from AYP's simple, yet profoundly powerful practices.)

And please remember: Enlightenment is not something to be "attained" - Enlightenment is nothing more, nor less, than your true nature - as unchanging consciousness -- non-personal, unchanging consciousness (which is why "me's" don't get enlightened; they can't. As Adya says, "If someone tells you they're enlightened - they're not.")

Good Forum dialog on Enlightenment, here:

http://www.aypsite.org/forum/topic....OPIC_ID=1286

Hope that helps!

Peace & Namaste,

Kirtanman

PS - The Buddha was asked, "Master, it took you six years to attain enlightenment?"

The Buddha responded, "No, it took six years to realize that it did not have to take six years -- and that there was no one there to be enlightened or unenlightened."

Go to Top of Page

Ingwer

France
4 Posts

Posted - Jan 12 2007 :  10:53:46 AM  Show Profile  Visit Ingwer's Homepage  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
Hi Nameless,

QiGong, EFT, tibetan mantras, breathing and other hard work (washing the dishes seems to be a Zen-classic :-))) sounds all very good to me...as long as it doesn't distract you from what is...

;-) Ingwer
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
AYP Public Forum © Contributing Authors (opinions and advice belong to the respective authors) Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.06 seconds. Snitz Forums 2000