Profile | Register | Active Topics | Members | Forum FAQ | Search
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 AYPsite.org Forum
 Kundalini - AYP Practice-Related
 Kirtanman's a Hothead! (Crown Chakra Exp.)
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Next Page
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 2

Kirtanman

USA
1651 Posts

Posted - Dec 29 2006 :  05:59:14 AM  Show Profile  Visit Kirtanman's Homepage  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Message

Hi Y'all,

Wow - interesting one (energetic weirdness-a-thon, in practices), today.

In spinal breathing, I've felt like my energy channels have opened WAY up in the last few days - literally - the "path" of the energy can feel as wide as the middle third of my body (as opposed to a very thin line inside my spinal column, when I started.)

I was feeling great after meditation today, but very ungrounded - and got in a warm bath - and started to sweat, partially from the energy, partially from the water's heat --- and this is usually a good / cleansing thing, overall (but i8t was far more sweat than usual - or that the water heat would have accounted for).

Here's the weird(er) part:

I almost couldn't get out of the bath, or dry myself off --- I was _exhausted_ -- t-o-a-s-t, burnt and buttered. I quasi-dried off, and lied down for a few minutes....

I got up several hours later, still with a moderate headache in my brow center - gone now, thankfully.

HERE'S THE WEIRDEST PART:

A couple of minutes after I laid down, I felt a burning - almost like someone was holding a candle flame to my head - it wasn't "yelling screaming" burning, but it was "WOW - this is HOT - this is NOT comfortable!"

I've never experienced anything like a headache right at the top-center of my head. The heat did seem to be inside my skull (or at least inside my scalp) - and covered a fairly small area - between the size of a U.S. nickel and a U.S. quarter, I would say.

Is this a known Crown Chakra thing?

Is my head going to split open, pouring forth golden light into the higher realms? (If so, I'll try to schedule it for dusk, and line up a friend with a good digital camcorder ....)

Seriously, though: I know that Crown Chakra opening tends to have associated happenings that can be a big deal, and/or kind of dangerous - and also, that the "soft spot" (fontanel) we had as babies, opens back up - so that energy can pass back and forth, from above the skull.

(I'm picturing little shining devas with little shining blowtorches, saying in their shining little deva-voices, "Hell, crank it up all the way, this guy can take it - and we're late for lunch!!"

Is this just normal Crown Chakra stuff?

Or should I call "Medical Mysteries"?

Or should I confess to Lord Shiva that *I'm* the one who pulled the underpinnings out from under the causal planes with my shenanigans, and that he might as well going ahead with "Project Tear-Down, Milky Way Spiral Three, Apparent Meta-Galactic Prakrti Structure, v2.01 - and make us a new multiverse or three , "STAT", while he's at it? (via his partner - Brahm-something ...he's always the GC - General Creator on these projects... ;-) ... for Maheshwara Corp. - "Construction, Preservation & Maintenance, DEstruction, our Specialty!")

Maheshwara Corp. - "More Bhang for your Buck!" ;-) )

(He won't mind; Lord Shiva live for this stuff - literally. You can dance around mostly naked with the multiverse's most beautiful female form *all* the time. Shiva's a guy -- sometimes, we need to break stuff, too. Makes us better dancers, long-term. Really. (Rolling Eyes ...)

Peace & Namaste,

Kirtanman

ajna

India
59 Posts

Posted - Dec 29 2006 :  08:35:13 AM  Show Profile  Visit ajna's Homepage  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
Hi Kirtanman

I tried the crown-practice for last 2 days (30 min each). I just allowed the intent to focus in the crown area in the head. There are definitely lots of popping/cracking sounds in the head in the last two days and iam hearing the sound of burning coal furnace inside me quite frequently!!
So far so good.

Cheers
Go to Top of Page

weaver

832 Posts

Posted - Dec 29 2006 :  10:34:45 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
quote:
Originally posted by Kirtanman

I've never experienced anything like a headache right at the top-center of my head. The heat did seem to be inside my skull (or at least inside my scalp) - and covered a fairly small area - between the size of a U.S. nickel and a U.S. quarter, I would say.

Is this a known Crown Chakra thing?

Hi Kirtanman,

Thank you for sharing this. This is exactly what I experience day in and day out since the last 2 months, and which prevents me from meditating in the evening, because it gets too intense and then the pain stays. But it's better in the morning, even though it gets stronger during the meditation.

The difference between the evolution of events in our cases is that you have had way more opening of energy in general in the system before this crown activity started, in my case I have only had a slight opening of ecstatic conductivity and energy in the spine this far.
Go to Top of Page

Athma_Shakti

India
81 Posts

Posted - Dec 29 2006 :  11:31:25 AM  Show Profile  Visit Athma_Shakti's Homepage  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
a liitle info:

i have experienced crown activity.

quote:

Kirtanman:
I've never experienced anything like a headache right at the top-center of my head

exactly this is the location of crown.

following are the sensations one can feel:
- sharp pinning effect on top of the head
- energy rotating on top of the head
- burning feeling sometimes
- sensation of huge "crown" like the one maharajas wear.
- pulling effect from above.

but i can't say these sensations means crown is fully activated or opened, but certainly the energy has rose up from muladhar and reached the crown.

quote:

Kirtanman:
The heat did seem to be inside my skull (or at least inside my scalp)

i have experienced on these locations also.

this point is just below the crown and inside the center of skull or scalp, its "ajna" or "cave of brahma"
huge build up of energy here may cause headache, tightening inside head etc.

in our technique we have different solutions for this.

in AYP its better (and important regarding crown) to listen Yogani's advice.
Go to Top of Page

weaver

832 Posts

Posted - Dec 29 2006 :  12:07:41 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
quote:
Originally posted by Athma_Shakti

in our technique we have different solutions for this.

Hi Athma_Shakti,

Even if I'm doing AYP I would be interested in hearing about any possible solutions for this because it's bothering me and preventing me from doing practice as I would like to do.

Thank you in advance.
Go to Top of Page

Athma_Shakti

India
81 Posts

Posted - Dec 29 2006 :  1:23:19 PM  Show Profile  Visit Athma_Shakti's Homepage  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
hi Weaver, you can try this one.

- using this technique we are going to spread the energy to entire body, like a water from the fountain.

relax and inhale(through the nose) deeply with mulabandha, bring the energy to crown(top of the head)

while exhaling(through the mouth): produce the "sheeee" sound louder(only the air should come out of the mouth and not the sound itself), feel the pressure in your body while exhaling.
(beginners can try this later, because its working with crown)

- emotions can cause such problems, those has to be reduced.

- any grounding techniques will be helpful too.

good wishes !
Go to Top of Page

weaver

832 Posts

Posted - Dec 29 2006 :  6:09:47 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
Thank you Athma_Shakti for this advice!
Go to Top of Page

Christi

United Kingdom
4381 Posts

Posted - Dec 29 2006 :  7:53:39 PM  Show Profile  Visit Christi's Homepage  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
Hi Weaver,
quote:
Thank you for sharing this. This is exactly what I experience day in and day out since the last 2 months, and which prevents me from meditating in the evening, because it gets too intense and then the pain stays. But it's better in the morning, even though it gets stronger during the meditation.

I also have a lot of crown activity, and I have experienced some pain at the crown. I experience it a bit like someone has got a hot needle, and is sticking it into the top of my head. Only someone else has given me a local anaesthetic which is wearing off, so the pain is a little less intense than a hot needle would be. Is that what you get?
Yogani says that pain in the crown chakra is not common (I believe that is in the main lessons).
Athma's advice on bringing the energy down is good (thanks for that one Athma), although often I find that when I am experiencing this piercing pain, any energy work at all accentuates the activity at the crown, and thus the pain, especially energy work that takes the energy up to the crown as part of the exercise.
Don't forget about self-pacing, and grounding. These are the two most useful tools that I used to bring energy down and away from the crown when I felt like it was too much. I have seen it mentioned in this forum that spinal breathing helps bring energy away from the crown, but I have not found this to be the case. When the energy passes under my crown chakra during spinal breathing (going through the centre of the head towards the eyebrow centre), it activates the crown a little more with each in-breath. This could just be how things work in my body though, you'll have to experiment to see what works for you.
Don't forget, if you have got this much (constant) crown activity happening, then you have a lot of general (body wide) purification going on, so missing your evening practices for a while isn't going to kill you, if this is what works in terms of keeping pain out of the equation. In my experience, pain is one of the many useful indicators that we need to cool off a little. It's like an early warning system.

All the best.

Christi
Go to Top of Page

weaver

832 Posts

Posted - Dec 29 2006 :  11:11:32 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
Hi Christi,

It's a relief to hear that others have similar things happening. Sometimes my crown activity can have traces of sensations like needles sticking, but mostly it's like a cramp-like concentration of energy in a small area like Kirtanman described. It gets stronger if I lie down or meditate or drive for an extended distance. There is also a similar presence in the forehead, but not quite as strong.

I also found, when I did do spinal breathing, that it aggravated the condition when the attention passed through the head, so I discontinued it about 4 months ago. It have smoothened out slightly since then. Especially has become more stationary, before it used to pulsate a lot which was even more distracting.

And, there is a slight gradual improvement the last week since I quit the evening meditation. I can go to sleep now without having to cover the head with one hand. I also figured that the best option is to decrease the total energy in the system. And, I can definitely feel that there is a lot going on energy-wise in the system.

Thank you for your sharing and offering more knowledge on this!
Go to Top of Page

Athma_Shakti

India
81 Posts

Posted - Dec 30 2006 :  04:09:56 AM  Show Profile  Visit Athma_Shakti's Homepage  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
these days many peoples practicing yoga is having early crown activity. and many of them are natural born psychics or yogis. but no harm and not to worry. its a good sign of spiritual progress

i think, its happening because the total human consciousness is shifting toward the subtle.

my mother when she was young, her 6th chakra got activated while praying in a temple automatically. since then she can able to experience colors, rolling balls and all those things. and she don't feel any pain in her head.

if we feel any sort of pain, our body is not completely purified yet, we should work on purification process, grounding, self-pacing as Yogani says.

spinal breathing and doing some physical asanas before meditation is helpful too, this will balance the build up of energy in the head.

quote:
Christi:
When the energy passes under my crown chakra during spinal breathing (going through the centre of the head towards the eyebrow centre), it activates the crown a little more with each in-breath.

this is true Christi and i experienced it myself.

i tried-> during spinal breathing, instead of ending the inhale at "ajna" inside the head or "kutashta" between the eyebrows, i ended the inhale at "back of the head"(where the spinal cord starts), and i found comfort and energy balance. iam not sure it works for all. so you try this one and let me know if it works for you.

best wishes
Kumar
Go to Top of Page

Kirtanman

USA
1651 Posts

Posted - Dec 30 2006 :  05:33:16 AM  Show Profile  Visit Kirtanman's Homepage  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
quote:
Originally posted by weaver

Hi Christi,

It's a relief to hear that others have similar things happening. Sometimes my crown activity can have traces of sensations like needles sticking, but mostly it's like a cramp-like concentration of energy in a small area like Kirtanman described. It gets stronger if I lie down or meditate or drive for an extended distance. There is also a similar presence in the forehead, but not quite as strong.

I also found, when I did do spinal breathing, that it aggravated the condition when the attention passed through the head, so I discontinued it about 4 months ago. It have smoothened out slightly since then. Especially has become more stationary, before it used to pulsate a lot which was even more distracting.

And, there is a slight gradual improvement the last week since I quit the evening meditation. I can go to sleep now without having to cover the head with one hand. I also figured that the best option is to decrease the total energy in the system. And, I can definitely feel that there is a lot going on energy-wise in the system.

Thank you for your sharing and offering more knowledge on this!

Thanks, Everyone - all this dialog is helpful to me, too! Prior to AYP, I worked with other meditation and yoga disciplines (kriya, tantra) which tend to proceed in a similar manner to AYP -- addressing the crown chakra via the third-eye (ajna chakra).

As I believe we all understand, various yogic systems have found this to be wise -- because if the crown chakra is addressed directly, the result is all too often like that of Gopi Krishna, who turned into the "poster boy" for the intense purification which can come from direct crown chakra work, too soon.

So, as a result - I don't know that much about the crown chakra - and that VERY powerful things can start to happen, once it's activated.

As with our other chakras, though, there's a big difference (as I believe Athma Shakti pointed out) between some energy in the chakra, and "all the way opened" - if I understand correctly, someone with their crown all the way open is a realized master; that's part of what an open crown means.

So, just as some people see a bit of light in/as their "third eye", and don't become realized until much later --- the energy in the crown doesn't mean Realization is imminent (if it does, please let me know ...<---- though a lot've good it'll do me! ).

However, in a similar way to when I first saw light/activity in the third-eye that I *knew* was that chakra activating -- there's a similar feeling to what happened yesterday. That level of heat was disconcerting --- but also something that I can and will deal with, if it's part of the "program".

(Meaning: some purification is more or less a consequence -- you overdid, so things go on within your body which may leave you in bed for a while, or unable to practice, or unable to go about your day -- when I got major vertigo a couple of months back for a few days - I would put it into that "consequence" category. Other purification is more of a "red flag" - a warning, I think --- "this is an indicator of what might go on, if you continue running this much energy."

(Referring, in my case to the heat in the head, the sweating, the headache and the exhaustion - all of which passed within a few hours.)

One of the main reasons for this post, is to tell you all:

Today, I've felt great - on every level!

Sometimes, with a minor injury in sports, it's best to "run through it" - and other times, it's not. Yesterday, I had no choice *but* to rest -- and some combination of the actual purification stemming from those symptoms, and maybe the rest itself -- produced a state where I'm running higher energy than before yesterday - but (now) seemingly without consequences.

As a "for instance", I was sitting at the computer earlier today, and was going to get up for a break, and rolled my head back - loosening my neck, after staring at the screen for a while.

When I rolled my head back, my eyes went up, spaciousness and light opened in my head, and a minor but very pleasant bliss kicked in, throughout my whole head.

This is usually more how I feel at the end of a spinal breathing session - not just working on the computer!

I hadn't done my second sitting for the day - so that seemed a good time (an hour or so earlier than usual - but I felt "drawn" to sit, by the energy --- not a bad feeling, at all!)

Spinal Breathing and Meditation were both quite wonderful.

I wouldn't want to go through days like yesterday too often - but if they can help me open to a (seeming) new level, like this --- "sign me up!"

Peace & Namaste,

Kirtanman
Go to Top of Page

yogani

USA
5196 Posts

Posted - Dec 30 2006 :  10:25:01 AM  Show Profile  Visit yogani's Homepage  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
quote:
Originally posted by Athma_Shakti

these days many peoples practicing yoga is having early crown activity. and many of them are natural born psychics or yogis. but no harm and not to worry. its a good sign of spiritual progress

i think, its happening because the total human consciousness is shifting toward the subtle.

Hi All:

I agree with Athma Shakti on this. We are dealing with a moving target as far as human receptivity to spiritual openings is concerned. We have been accelerating gradually over the past century or so, and now there is an exponential effect kicking in. In the short three years since we started AYP, the acceleration has been very noticeable. Not that AYP is the only thing going on -- many teachings are expanding, and acceleration is happening everywhere. In the case of AYP, the effects of the practices are often becoming noticeable much quicker, and in some cases leading to the kind of rapid purification described in this topic and elsewhere in the forums.

From my side, there is concern for the comfort and safety of everyone, so please do self-pace before symptoms become extreme. And please keep in mind the AYP cautions about going to the crown too soon, or in a haphazard way. The fact that core practices like spinal breathing and deep meditation can now lead to rapid crown awakenings, is cause for extra vigilance in self-pacing. With rapid purification, it may not be so much about keeping practice times as keeping on an even keel during daily activity. As you know, our experience in daily activity, outside our yoga routine, is the real test of our practices. So always adjust practices accordingly. Many are doing an excellent job with this. Thank you!

Something wonderful is coming up everywhere. It will be well worth a few bumps in the road along the way. But let's be sure to keep it on the road.

I am always looking for ways to adapt to changing circumstances, and will continue to do so. The new Samyama book, coming out in January, will look into expanded areas of practice that might have been considered "way out there" only a few years ago. Now we find ourselves quickly entering a situation where we can have a much greater impact on the evolution of the entire human race. As this trend accelerates, each one of us will increasingly have the abilty to dissolve mountains of obstructions holding back planetary evolution. It will not necessarily be a 100% orderly transformation, as we are sometimes seeing on the individual level, and also in the physical environment. Something big is happening, we are all part of it, and we are able to affect it for the better.

Meanwhile, as we are speeding along from here to there, let's not blow it out the top too soon or too much. Remember to chop wood and carry water. Savor the ordinary, even as you accomplish the extraordinary. It is all ordinary...

All the best!

The guru is in you.
Go to Top of Page

Kirtanman

USA
1651 Posts

Posted - Jan 05 2007 :  01:23:45 AM  Show Profile  Visit Kirtanman's Homepage  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply

Hi Yogani and All,

Thanks, Yogani, for this post --- very powerful and profound - "yet normal" - as AYP tends to be.

Per your post - I think it's fair to say that you've instilled a healthy respect for "things Crown" in most of us (me, certainly!) ... which almost has me a little perplexed - per my experience which started this thread.

For instance, if I get the uncomfortable "hothead" thing again (I haven't, since my first post in this thread) --- do I go with it -- or actively seek to roll practices back, so that it doesn't happen?

I'm not quite clear if it's solely a sign of crown overload -- or a symptom of crown evolution (or a little of each).

As a "for instance" related to Ajna (sixth chakra, for anyone who doesn't know) opening -- I know that some people get mild to moderate headaches, and/or sensations in the third eye (brow center) area - which are probably equivalent to the discomfort level I experienced, with the "hot crown" event.

I've been *very* fortunate, recently - to have some major expansion with respect to my Ajna chakra -- my "third eye" has become much more vivid, with a sense of depth -- I'm "seeing" my (presumably) etheric body much more distinctly (during practices), and so on ---- but with no attendant discomfort of any kind (a whole lot of bliss and ecstasy, actually! )

Point Being: If I *did* have some Ajna-related discomfort, equivalent to the Crown discomfort -- yet also had these benefits stated above - I'd consider that a very "fair trade", and would have no inclination to self pace.

However, as we colloquially (not literally) say in California - I'm a bit "paranoid" about Crown stuff --- like many of us, I'm probably afraid of ending up like poor ol' Gopi Krishna (the "poster boy" for flying blindly into major Crown opening, and paying dearly for it).

So (Yogani) - and additional insight here, would be most welcome.

Currently, my own situation seems to be a bit self-regulating, since it hasn't happened again -- but if it does, I'm wondering if it's generally indicative of being ready for Crown opening --- or, of significant overdoing?

Ultimately, I have a sense of being able to gauge this myself -- but this Forum, and access to your (Yogani primarily, but other experienced sadhakas as well) thoughts and insight is a wonderful shortcut.

I have noticed, though -- that this sense of having an Inner Guru has also been increasing significantly, lately. Hm.

And on a seemingly more mundane (but not really) level --- the whole dynamic of yogic evolution seems a LOT like puberty .... uncomfortable and confusing at points, interesting and pleasurable changes (and then some!) at other points --- and underlying it all, an almost instinctive sense that this is what we're designed to do / be.

And, finally - I've been filled with *such* a deep sense of gratitude, recently -- it's like: being blessed (I don't know of another term that fits) with the expanded awareness that yogic evolution offers, and seeing how much the non-yogic world suffers due to lack of it - there's this sense of wanting to love and serve by educating the world around us / me.

And just to be clear: at a tantra seminar I once attended, the seminar leader referred to those who have newly discovered tantra as being like "born again Christians on acid" -- and feeling the need to share tantra with the world. That's *not* what I'm talking about.

I'm talking about something infinitely more subtle than that -- the gratitude / service sense that I have feels almost inherently connected with yogic evolution itself -- nothing evangelical about it, at all - more a sense of heart opening, which includes far more than the "me" I used to be so primarily concerned about.

It's all a "very, very good thing".

(And apologies in advance for any mental images I've created of Martha Stewart becoming national spokesperson for AYP Tantra ....! ... I can just see the emails now .... "Dammit, Kirtanman - I'm still having nightmares!!" )

Peace & Namaste,

Kirtanman

Go to Top of Page

VIL

USA
586 Posts

Posted - Jan 05 2007 :  06:19:05 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
Your original post made me chuckle, Kirtman. Very funny. You have a great sense of humor. A good lesson to not take ourselves too seriously:

Your crown reference made me think of all the stories of wandering dervishes, in the Sufi Tradition, who may not appear to be what some consider spiritual - and also our own misconceptions of what we ourselves may consider awakened or conversly what our own expectations of what it will be like when the crown chakra is open and what it means to have wisdom.

"When thy crown chakra suddenly opens, will thy people know that thou are now at one with thy, translated, highly edited, King James Version of The Almighty God?"

Probably not. But you will:

I've read through your posts and in my estimation you have had had definite crown activity and I think it's important to hear, since we all need to know that God is real.

The thing that resonated from your post was this:

quote:
Kirtman: And, finally - I've been filled with *such* a deep sense of gratitude, recently -- it's like: being blessed (I don't know of another term that fits) with the expanded awareness that yogic evolution offers, and seeing how much the non-yogic world suffers due to lack of it - there's this sense of wanting to love and serve by educating the world around us / me.

There are many analogies/metaphors that we could come up with when it comes to a crown, but one of the most profound is that of the crown being attached to the head, but not part of it.

A crown is also not something a commoner would wear, but a King who rules a Kingdom. And since it's not part of the head, common sense would mean that it has to be something other than the physical, and yet, still be connected to the physical. And the outcome, the crown, not the head, has to be something other than [the commoner] sense perception. So, your experience of feeling the physical [the heat sensations within your head], produced something spiritual [feelings of intense gratitude and love] your crown. Since love and gratitude are not physical, and are not attached to the senses, but are attributes of the spirit, which is extordinary.

It reminds me of yogani's interview in which he mentioned the outcome of meditation as being something akin to the feeling of Divine Love. And I couldn't agree more, since love, gratitude, faith, etc., are what comes from experiencing God.

Glad to hear of your progress, Kirtman! That's definite crown activity if I have ever heard of one. Good for you!

VIL

P.S. Ignore the spelling. Can't find my spell ck on the toolbar. LOL

Edited by - VIL on Jan 05 2007 07:19:10 AM
Go to Top of Page

yogani

USA
5196 Posts

Posted - Jan 05 2007 :  10:56:02 AM  Show Profile  Visit yogani's Homepage  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
Hi Kirtanman and All:

The main thing we are concerned about when the crown becomes active (more common nowadays) is maintaining comfort and safety. This is not only for health and wellbeing, but for the sustainability of our path (remember, blasting through doesn't work). If we are so undone that we lose motivation and/or the ability to practice because we are being run over by crown-induced energy all the time, this is less than ideal. So, we keep it on the road as best we can. Yes, self-pacing does become automatic within us in time. It becomes intuitive. That, and ever advancing inner purification eventually lead to the "other side" where we find balance amidst the constantly expanding outflow of divine love. It is a birthing process, and like physical birth, it can be a bit chaotic at times.

There is a practice in the Samyama book coming out this month that may offer some balance to those with crown activity, and offer a smoothening for those who are creeping in the direction of crown opening. Imagine the crown as being an energy door with huge pressure on the inside -- or looking at it another way, as having a huge vacuum on the outside. If the door opens a crack, everything wants to rush out all at once, sucking all that is in here out with it. This can lead to the premature crown opening syndrome.

If we begin to work with our practice on both sides of the door, there is an opportunity to equalize the pressure somewhat. That is what we are introducing in the new Samyama book. The practice is called "Cosmic Samyama."

When we tie all of this together, the possibilities become quite remarkable, not only for us individually, but for the entire world. As inner purification leads to the infinite outpouring of divine love, we find ourselves increasingly in a position to apply expanded applications of samyama within that huge outflow. This rapidly expanding phenomenon of intentional divine flow (stillness in action) can change the course of humanity, and has already. It is at the heart of the exponential acceleration in spiritual progress we are seeing everywhere around the world today. It is something we desire -- our destiny.

The guru is in you.
Go to Top of Page

weaver

832 Posts

Posted - Jan 05 2007 :  1:08:11 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
Hello Kirtanman and all,

I just read this thread http://www.aypsite.org/forum/topic....OPIC_ID=1120 which has a good discussion on crown activity.

I have also found a lot of consolation from the following, which is an addition to Lesson 230 in the printed version of Advanced Yoga Practices by Yogani, it is not included in the online lessons, therefore I post it for general interest (my underlining):

"If there are some sensations in the crown, this is normal as we continue with our regular brow to root advanced yoga practices, because the crown is also being gradually opened in a controlled way. Over time the crown sensations will be stronger in concert with overall purification in the nervous system. If the energies do not become uncomfortable, we can just continue with our daily practices. It is not a danger to notice what is happening at the crown, as it does not constitute focused practice. There will be a time when we can go directly to the crown with nothing but complete absorption in ecstatic bliss being the outcome. This is how it is when the nervous system is adequately purified. So, all we do is let the crown come along naturally with our regular advanced yoga practices. If things get excessive, then we know it is time to apply self-pacing and back off a bit. With this approach the crown is not so much difficulty. It is just like any other kind of self-pacing situation we encounter in the nervous system as we proceed with our practices."
Go to Top of Page

Kirtanman

USA
1651 Posts

Posted - Jan 05 2007 :  1:47:51 PM  Show Profile  Visit Kirtanman's Homepage  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
quote:
Originally posted by weaver
If things get excessive, then we know it is time to apply self-pacing and back off a bit. With this approach the crown is not so much difficulty. It is just like any other kind of self-pacing situation we encounter in the nervous system as we proceed with our practices."

Thanks Weaver - this is very helpful!

(And Thanks Yogani, since you wrote the quoted verbiage originally! )

And Thanks to VIL as well -- comments appreciated!!

(See - I wasn't kidding about the gratitude thing! ) <--- Kinda joking here, though -- the "deep gratitude" I referenced last night is actually a very serious thing -- and goes far beyond "saying thanks" for the helpful actions of others.

In fact .... I'm just kind of getting this, as I write this:

Yogic evolution seems to carry with it an evolution of "feeling sense" itself - where the feeling and related action (whether or not they're immediate in time <-- important) -- have a feeling of being one seamless whole.

"Before" (this current point in yogic evolution), I would feel something like, "Wow, I feel a lot of gratitude."

And that would be about it.

Then, as a separate occurance, there might be some additional thinking and/or feeling which would "connect back" to that original awareness.

Today, it's more like "gratitude>sense of gratitude-related action" feels more like one seamless feeling.

The more subtle things become, the tougher it is to put words around, I've found -- so please bear with me, on that front.

Per this thread, the context is: as Yogani pointed out once again, Crown activity brings with it more actual awareness of the reality of Oneness -- and even if I can't articulate it well, that seems to be the basis of my gratitude sense.

Here's an analogy that actually seems fitting: if you have, say, a small cut on your arm - the cells in the region (blood, skin, etc. etc.) don't think, "Damn, those poor cells got slaughtered. Oh well. Hey! Simpsons are on!"

(Actually, there's a lot of cells --- maybe some do ...... )

As evidenced by actuality (barring severe immune system dysfunction, etc.) -- though -- it seems more like the cells think something like, "Let's get to work to help heal this!"

Not because they're "Gandhi-clone" or "Mother Theresa-clone" cells -- but because it's what cells are, and what they do, in that case.

Even though they're "individual cells", their primary awareness / allegiance is tied to the whole, and being / doing what benefits the whole ---- not because they're "extra good" cells ---- but just because they're cells -- the inherent connection with wholeness, is an inherent part of their nature.

Us, too -- as it seems I'm beginning to experience on a bit of a whole new level.

... and not to make too big a thing out of it -- it's almost more a "knowledge base" addition -- we report experiences here, and this "new sense of gratitude, experienced in a whole new way" is significant enough, and (seemingly) connected with the bit of Crown activity I've had, "enough" -- that it seems to bear reporting .... along with the fact that not a lot is "pre-meditated" in my world, these days - and this wasn't, either.

And as they say in press conferences ..... A FOLLOW ON QUESTION, IF I MAY?

I'm "good" with the answers and input that has been given, including from Yogani - and including my own increasing awareness concerning self-pacing ---- but ---- am still a bit unclear, as follows:

We're told that if something becomes "uncomfortable" to back off -- but some of us (the "Psycho Marines" of the yoga set .... ) seem to be more than willing - enthusiastic even -- to go "full bore" -- and put up with a bit of discomfort in the bargain (example: a marathon runner doesn't say, "Ow! I've got a blister! Screw this running stuff - I'm doing needlepoint from now on ....!" -- the marathoner takes the blisters, and a few scrapes and swollen knees, etc. etc. etc. (sunburn, dehydration, etc.) -- as part of the deal, yes?

It goes with the territory, yes?

Yogic evolution is much like that for me --- the decision to go all the way happened some time ago -- nothing will discourage me, or turn me aside.

*However* - per Yogani's description in Secrets of Wilder of the situation which landing Y ... John Wilder in bed for weeks, if I recall ---- I *do* want to avoid the type of "Yogic overload" which would sideline me for weeks -- in the same way that a marathoner wants to avoid a tendon strain that will cause them to lose weeks of running in a given training season.

My actual question is:

How do we zero in on recognizing serious warning signs?

I'm pretty sure I know the answer - at least for the most part - but would like to get input (please).

Yogani gave me pause one time, when he said something like, "Be careful - some overload today can have additional consequences down the road." -- or words to that effect.

A few of us, at least, have quite a high tolerance for such things -- but, obviously, I think -- it hits a point of diminishing returns, if you derail yourself from being *able* to practice.

Again, the question (understanding that I may likely be able to contribute to the answer as well -- but would find group input and/or Yogani input to be helpful) is:

How do we distinguish between "headed for derailment", and "significant but acceptable" practice results?

Thanks once again, very much, to everyone who is contributing to this thread!

Peace & Namaste,

Kirtanman

Go to Top of Page

weaver

832 Posts

Posted - Jan 05 2007 :  3:27:53 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
Hi Kirtanman,

Not trying to answer your question, I will just throw in some more food for thought. I have been thinking about these 2 statements, given by Yogani, quoted below. The question is really how we define progress. If we measure it by positive results in daily life, then the first statement makes the most sense.

In the second case I suppose that progress could only be made if one could keep a stable routine. But I would think it would be a different type of progress from the first case, since the results in daily life would hardly be positive. And it would be a big gamble, and I have also heard that if too much energy is released it can damage or destroy the nervous system.

http://www.aypsite.org/forum/topic...._ID=899#4930
"The fastest progress comes with long term stable daily practice, without too much overdoing or underdoing. Either one can bring disruptions in progress. This is why self-pacing is so important."

http://www.aypsite.org/forum/topic....ID=1030#5831
"There is no doubt that any of us can go much faster with AYP if we choose to, with extreme discomfort (mortification) being the price for the extra progress. How many would fall off the path along the way? A lot. And most would be very unhappy with me for suggesting such an approach, which I am not!"

Edited by - weaver on Jan 05 2007 3:43:58 PM
Go to Top of Page

yogani

USA
5196 Posts

Posted - Jan 05 2007 :  3:36:54 PM  Show Profile  Visit yogani's Homepage  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
quote:
Originally posted by Kirtanman

How do we distinguish between "headed for derailment", and "significant but acceptable" practice results?

Hi Kirtanman:

Experience -- giving rise to intuititive self-pacing. We each must make our own discoveries about this.

How do we learn how much to let off the gas when going into a sharp curve with a steep cliff falling off the outside edge? We learn it carefully, right?

The guru is in you.
Go to Top of Page

Jim and His Karma

2111 Posts

Posted - Jan 07 2007 :  10:48:51 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
quote:
Originally posted by yogani

How do we learn how much to let off the gas when going into a sharp curve with a steep cliff falling off the outside edge? We learn it carefully, right?

.....and we learn to give a buffer zone of extra room. You gave me great advice via email, Yogani: The danger is that "progress" is not always smooth and gradual. It often goes in fits and starts So if you're hovering right near the maximal point and a burst of purification happens, you could find yourself in trouble. Best to build in some comfort room and go carefully. It's a lot easier to speed up than slow down, so it's best to work a few notches beneath maximum velociy (maximum velocity being the point at which you're on the brink of over-energization or roughness in the real world...the usual overdoing symptoms).

Also cribbing from Yogani's advice....
Those following AYP direction to not go to the crown, but who feel over-activity there for whatever reason, should remember that ajna (brow center, aka 3rd eye) is the control. Go to ajna with sambavi mudra and establish that as your center.

It's extremely helpful to remember that energy goes where attention goes. So if your crown is buzzing, and you're not intending that yet (I'm certainly nowhere near the point of working with crown, myself), mentally exploring the crown (like your tongue exploring a chipped tooth!) will just increase energy and opening there. Put attention on ajna.

Edited by - Jim and His Karma on Jan 07 2007 11:00:02 AM
Go to Top of Page

weaver

832 Posts

Posted - Jan 07 2007 :  12:26:05 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
quote:
Posted by Jim

It's extremely helpful to remember that energy goes where attention goes.

Hi Jim,

When you say this I realize that it's obvious that nearly 2 years of putting the attention in the head by doing spinal breathing has contributed majorly to the problems I have now with energy in the head. I could feel it gradually increasing over the months, but first I thought it was a nice sign of progress, then I hoped it was normal, then it became too much.

It may take a lot of putting the attention elsewhere, maybe in the feet or heart, to undo this. Yogani has also given a nice practice, cosmic samyama, that puts attention elsewhere.
Go to Top of Page

Jim and His Karma

2111 Posts

Posted - Jan 07 2007 :  4:49:31 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
To answer specifically, Weaver, nowhere in AYP does it say to "place attention in the head" in spinal breathing. Like all of AYP, it's an extremely simple practice - put attention up and down and up the spine. Period. Anything you add on to the simplicity of AYP is (IMO) needlessly complicating things. Sambhavi does indeed bring attention to head, but mulha bandha balances it, as does the practice itself. I'd suggest you aim to practice without a "point of view". Do it like brushing your teeth.

But in terms of attention placement generally, I hope Yogani or someone else will correct me if I'm misstating AYP teachings, but, at least while you're doing practices, don't place attention anywhere....except if a practice calls for it (e.g. in spinal breathing, per above). Other than that, place attention in the mantra, period. Other than that, don't direct ANYTHING. Anything else you "do" is an add-on, and it seems puzzling to choose to practice the most stripped down and simple of yoga practices...and then complicate it! :)

When not doing practices, it's freeform. Most yoga schools suggest residing in ajna or heart. But I bet Yogani would say that's all under the hood; to not worry about it and just live life.

Exception: per my posting above, if you feel crown stuff going on, attention to ajna brings control.

If you do AYP and you systematically place attention somewhere, that's 1. not a great idea and 2. not recommened by AYP. But then again, AYP also recommends against crown practice till the very end. And Yogani himself has said (a while ago, so this might be old info) that he himself is not yet directly opening crown. So that gives an idea of how far one ought to wait. Though, as in all things, mileage varies...

Edited by - Jim and His Karma on Jan 07 2007 4:56:40 PM
Go to Top of Page

weaver

832 Posts

Posted - Jan 07 2007 :  4:59:23 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
Hi Jim,

When I said "putting the attention in the head" I should have stated it as "letting the attention move through the head", meaning the procedure that is stated in AYP Lesson 41 http://www.aypsite.org/41.html and quoted below for general information:

"...with each rising inhalation of the breath, allow your attention to travel upward inside a tiny thread, or tube, you visualize beginning at your perineum, continuing up through the center of your spine, and up through the stem of your brain to the center of your head. At the center of your head the tiny nerve makes a turn forward to the point between your eyebrows. With one slow, deep inhalation let your attention travel gradually inside the nerve from the perineum all the way to the point between the eyebrows. As you exhale, retrace this path from the point between the eyebrows all the way back down to the perineum."

Sorry for not clarifying that.
Go to Top of Page

Jim and His Karma

2111 Posts

Posted - Jan 07 2007 :  5:12:18 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
Then I'm not understanding your previous posting. The practice you've quoted does not involve lingering attention in the head. It describes a balanced flow of attention up and down.
Go to Top of Page

Balance

USA
967 Posts

Posted - Jan 08 2007 :  8:02:06 PM  Show Profile  Visit Balance's Homepage  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
Just for the record, I've been having lots of crown and third eye activity. I find my awareness inside of a big stillness when my head is heating or expanding. Sometimes there is that vortex thing going on. The top of my head has "little fingers" moving around in a small circle, kind of loving like, my medulla and ajna have similar activity, and there is a connection and movement all around between these and around them. My throat gets parched. I feel the stillness behind my eyes and stare off into space a lot and my vision seems deeper. All this has been going on more so now for a month whether or not I've been consistent with my practice. When I do get more consistent the activity increases in intensity and duration. I was going to post this when Kirtanman began the thread and didn't for some reason, but it seems like something similar to share. Sometimes I tell myself that I've just had too much tea. It feels expansive.
Go to Top of Page

Christi

United Kingdom
4381 Posts

Posted - Jan 10 2007 :  05:49:58 AM  Show Profile  Visit Christi's Homepage  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
Hi Balance,
quote:
Just for the record, I've been having lots of crown and third eye activity. I find my awareness inside of a big stillness when my head is heating or expanding. Sometimes there is that vortex thing going on. The top of my head has "little fingers" moving around in a small circle, kind of loving like, my medulla and ajna have similar activity, and there is a connection and movement all around between these and around them. My throat gets parched. I feel the stillness behind my eyes and stare off into space a lot and my vision seems deeper. All this has been going on more so now for a month whether or not I've been consistent with my practice. When I do get more consistent the activity increases in intensity and duration. I was going to post this when Kirtanman began the thread and didn't for some reason, but it seems like something similar to share. Sometimes I tell myself that I've just had too much tea. It feels expansive.

Does all this activity in the higher chakras concern you, or are you O.K. with it?
Christi
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 2 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Next Page
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
AYP Public Forum © Contributing Authors (opinions and advice belong to the respective authors) Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.1 seconds. Snitz Forums 2000