New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Previous Page | Next Page
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 5

Christi

United Kingdom
4379 Posts

Posted - Nov 21 2006 :  2:49:14 PM  Show Profile  Visit Christi's Homepage  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
Hi Mike,
Thanks for the references on the scientific study of the paranormal... I will study them when I have some time.
Hi Chiron,
Thanks for the reference to the ancient Indian scientists! More was going on 5000 years ago than we know, and possibly even 10,000 years ago.
Go to Top of Page

Mike

United Kingdom
77 Posts

Posted - Nov 21 2006 :  5:21:23 PM  Show Profile  Visit Mike's Homepage  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
quote:
Originally posted by Christi

Hi Mike,
Thanks for the references on the scientific study of the paranormal... I will study them when I have some time.

Cool Christi... always neat when someone is prepared to examine data rather than premising that were something to be true the "System" at large would have accurately fed us a clear and impartial representation of the world It makes whistling in the wind sometimes worthwhile

Here is amazon.com review page http://www.amazon.com/Conscious-Uni...UTF8&s=books It currently gets 4.5* from 66 reviews - the general drift being "Blimey! So the evidence is in favour of psi - well I never would have believed that!"

I wrote about it here: http://www.ttem.org/forum/index.php?topic=239.0 (apologies for linking into my own forum - will remove if not kosher) and there is a nice snip from the book included there:

"A more elaborate answer is, psi has been shown to exist in thousands of experiments. There are disagreements over to how to interpret the evidence, but the fact is that virtually all scientists who have studied the evidence, including the hard-nosed skeptics, now agree that there is something interesting going on that merits serious scientific attention. Later we'll discuss the reasons why very few scientists and science journalists are aware of this dramatic shift in informed opinion"

peace&love to all

Mike
Go to Top of Page

david_obsidian

USA
2602 Posts

Posted - Nov 21 2006 :  5:40:34 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
From the book: but the fact is that virtually all scientists who have studied the evidence, including the hard-nosed skeptics, now agree that there is something interesting going on that merits serious scientific attention

Note the phraseology, which can be quite misleading: "now agree that there is something interesting going on". It's so vague that it could mean that hard-nosed skeptics find it interesting, among other things, that people are self-deceptive. I, for one, as a hard-nosed skeptic, find the whole Bienveniste affair interesting, and I am particularly curious about how honest he and his team were. (BTW, Bienveniste is particularly interesting because his claims made major headlines, including if I remember rightly in magazines like Time and Newsweek.) The statement is completely devoid of any commitment, but it looks like a strong commitment at first glance to the untrained eye....... almost as if it is a statement that the hard-nosed skeptical scientific establishment now agrees that psychic powers are real, which would be totally false.....

Edited by - david_obsidian on Nov 21 2006 10:39:06 PM
Go to Top of Page

sadhak

India
604 Posts

Posted - Nov 21 2006 :  10:56:00 PM  Show Profile  Visit sadhak's Homepage  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
Yes, Yogani, thanks for the balanced perspective.
Go to Top of Page

david_obsidian

USA
2602 Posts

Posted - Nov 21 2006 :  11:08:26 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
Yogani said:
To favor the external over the internal is a kind of mytholization that will hold us back. Isn't it obvious?

Yes. It's a problem with many facets and spins though. Part of it is that the internal and external are not properly differentiated in our traditions. Yoga is a system which grew in an earlier era and did not differentiate the internal and external too well.

And as time goes on, we will, as a people, with the help of both yoga and science, figure out what the right differentiation is.

Go to Top of Page

sadhak

India
604 Posts

Posted - Nov 21 2006 :  11:19:55 PM  Show Profile  Visit sadhak's Homepage  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
Yoga is a system which grew in an earlier era and did not differentiate the internal and external too well.

How do you mean this David? Would you explain?
Go to Top of Page

Doc

USA
394 Posts

Posted - Nov 22 2006 :  02:14:07 AM  Show Profile  Visit Doc's Homepage  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
quote:
Originally posted by david_obsidian

[b]
"It's a problem.....that the internal and external are not properly differentiated in our traditions. Yoga is a system which grew in an earlier era and did not differentiate the internal and external too well."

Really What do you base these conclusions on I believe that the various methods of study and practice encompassed by the Eight Limbs of Yoga (Ashtanga) very obviously demonstrate a profound awareness of both the internal and external aspects of the training.

Classical Yoga practices clearly outline a systematically detailed, scientifically duplicatable method of consolidating and uniting the External Physical Aspects of Yoga Sadhana, such as Hatha Asanas, Dietary Recommendations, Yogic Bathing and Cleansing Techniques, Methods of Sensory Refinement and Control, and so forth, with the Internal Mental and Spiritual Aspects of Yoga Sadhana such as Devotional Practices (Bhakti), Mental Concentration Training (Dharana), Meditation Training (Dhyana), and Absorption in Divine Consciousness (Samadhi).

And furthermore, this clear differentiation of how to transform the apparent initial separation of internal and external into a Union of At-One-Ment in the Ultimate Reality of Immortal Existence, Divine Consciousness, and Eternally Blissful Peace (Sat-Chi-Anandam Brahman) has been actively taught and practiced as a Scientific Method of Self-Cultivation and Self-Realization for several thousand years to date!

http://www.sadhanaashram.org/art/shri_chakra.gif
http://ar.geocities.com/mahatmaprab...undalini.jpg

Hari Om!

Doc

Edited by - Doc on Nov 22 2006 03:30:00 AM
Go to Top of Page

Mike

United Kingdom
77 Posts

Posted - Nov 22 2006 :  04:13:48 AM  Show Profile  Visit Mike's Homepage  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
quote:
Originally posted by david_obsidian
Note the phraseology, which can be quite misleading: "now agree that there is something interesting going on". It's so vague that it could mean that hard-nosed skeptics find it interesting, among other things, that people are self-deceptive.

Well this is my last post on the subject as clearly you are simply interested in repeating your fixed philosophical beliefs and not genuine discussion.

You quote one sentence from the book... and from the overview at that. Cheap rhetoric I have to say! Actually were you to read it you would find its full of statistics, confidence intervals etc etc (its actually such a dry read so he brought out a more popular treatment recently).

The other thing that perhaps you dont appreciate from your position David is that your argument is that (say) "pink elephants don't exist"... many of us here will have direct, indisputable, experiential evidence experience and knowledge time and time again of pink elephants.

Thus if you don't mind me being blunt here the argument you use:

(i) from an objective "logic" perspective is neither logical nor scientific;

(ii) from an experiential perspective many people know pink elephants very well;

(iii) as I had said before its odd that people taking this fixed "materialist" philosophy seem the most agressive and least gentle in forum threads. I guess one can only conclude that deep down the emotion of fear (as well as "attachment to views" (another main source of dukkha) is at work

peace

Mike

Go to Top of Page

Christi

United Kingdom
4379 Posts

Posted - Nov 22 2006 :  06:14:54 AM  Show Profile  Visit Christi's Homepage  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
Hi Richard,
quote:
Richard wrote:
So Yogani you can levitate? That's new to me, I don't remember you making that claim or anyone else at the forum for that matter perhaps I am getting the wrong end of the stick here but I am confused now, so Christie please clarify for me and point to the posts where this claim has been made

You are right Richard, Yogani has never said that he can levitate, and neither has anyone else on this forum.
Check out this question and answer lesson from the main lessons:

http://www.aypsite.org/155.html
Here is a section from it:
quote:
I'm doing the sutras about a week and having good feelings since
the beginning. Tonight during the lightness one I got a rise of
energy that also felt good making me feel very light inside. Then I
started to shake and lurch. My arms were going up and down and I was
shaking and I thought I was going to yell, but I didn't. I don't
know where it all came from. The next thing I knew I was near the
foot of the bed and I don't know how I got there from the head of the bed where I was sitting with crossed legs. I went back to the head of the bed and started again and it happened again. This time I peeked when the lurching started after the sutra and saw my body hop from one end of the bed to the other. I did it a few more times and then lay down feeling like every nerve in my body had an enema. Is this levitation, or is it just physical?

If you don’t think there is anything strange about this, try it. Try sitting at one end of your bed, in siddhasana, or padmasana, and then- try and make it to the other end of your bed (good luck!). And then imagine that this could happen to you during meditation, and afterwards you could say “I don’t know how I got there”. I am not a genius, but I think I would know how I got there.
And notice that Yogani says that this is trying to be the beginnings of levitation. He doesn’t say that it is trying to be the beginnings of a series of horribly violent muscle spasms that somewhat resemble an epileptic fit, which is what you might expect someone to say. Notice also that he says not to worry about falling off the end of the bed, as your body “intuitively” knows where the end of the bed is. Since when does a human body in super spasm mode know where the end of a bed is?
Also notice that Yogani doesn’t recommend cutting down on practices here. If someone came to me saying that they were experiencing such violent fits during meditation that it was causing them to move physically around the room, I would probably recommend trimming a couple of minutes off deep meditation time, and possibly even spinal breathing, no? I am not suggesting that Yogani gave the wrong advice here. I am sure the advice was perfect. He gives the same advice here:
http://www.aypsite.org/forum/topic....OPIC_ID=1034
I am simply saying that I am not ready to accept the muscle spasm theory, it doesn’t quite work for me, especially after some of the things that have happened to me during meditation, especially in other dimensions (sorry).
This is a quote from the yoga sutras of Patanjali:
quote:
3.40 By the mastery over udana, the upward flowing prana vayu, …. there ensues the rising or levitation of the body.

The udana, I believe, is an energy line going from the top of the spine, up to the crown of the head. Maybe Patanjali was actually talking about chronic muscle spasms here, but then what does “mastery over” mean?
Just my take...

Christi

Edited by - Christi on Nov 22 2006 07:29:52 AM
Go to Top of Page

Richard

United Kingdom
857 Posts

Posted - Nov 22 2006 :  09:57:42 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
Hi Christie yes I agree with you on this one I think the sort of levitation or hopping discussed by Yogani is totally different from that which has been publicly demonstrated by the TM people and has nothing to do with muscle spasms. The sort of thing the TM people do would not be possible in siddhasana and Yogani never mentioned sitting in padmasana to achieve it in fact it is only spoken of as an interesting symptom of purification that can happen while we are in deep meditation and practicing Samyama. It is the TM version that most peoples views of levitation are based on as this is the only version that has ever been seen. and although it is supposedly based on the same practices as ours namely Samyama when it is demonstrated publicly as in the short example at the beginning of this news item

http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/programm.../4153396.stm

It looks very much like a series of muscle spasms.

Richard

Edited by - Richard on Nov 22 2006 09:58:54 AM
Go to Top of Page

david_obsidian

USA
2602 Posts

Posted - Nov 22 2006 :  10:25:28 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
Mike,

If you are opposing someone (and attached), you may misconstrue their mere strength as it it were aggression. You are delivering strong direct criticisms of me and my posts, and you probably STILL think you are the least aggressive of the two of us!

And yet notice that I stuck to the issues throughout, and never resorted to criticising you or your postings. So it looks like I can offer you some very good example, despite how 'aggressive' I may seem!

Scientists do have conviction as I was saying. The truth is, everyone does. The only time someone's conviction bothers someone else is when they have contrary convictions. Our ally's conviction on an issue we'll call conviction; our opponent's on an issue we'll call a 'fixed position' or 'stubbornness' or something similar when we want to put it down! And likewise, our ally's strength we may call strength, and our opponent's strength we may call aggression!

( And I'm not even saying that the psychic powers don't exist, rather that no-one can prove their existence scientifically. )

Edited by - david_obsidian on Nov 22 2006 11:55:50 AM
Go to Top of Page

david_obsidian

USA
2602 Posts

Posted - Nov 22 2006 :  12:21:54 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
I said: "It's a problem.....that the internal and external are not properly differentiated in our traditions. Yoga is a system which grew in an earlier era and did not differentiate the internal and external too well."

Sadhak and Doc,

I'll get back about this but it will be after the Thanksgiving weekend, because I have to go. But I'm not putting yoga down, it might have been better if I said that its interpretations met the needs of the era it developed in quite well, but may need some adaptation to our modern times.

Happy Thanksgiving, all!

Edited by - david_obsidian on Nov 22 2006 12:57:23 PM
Go to Top of Page

Swami Vajra

42 Posts

Posted - Nov 22 2006 :  12:54:03 PM  Show Profile  Visit Swami Vajra's Homepage  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
http://www.naruse-yoga.com/levitation.html

Submitted for approval, these are the only photos I am aware of that show an advanced yogi demonstrating levitation that are available to the general public.

Yogi Naruse is a Japanese yogi also known as Akasha Giri in India.
Go to Top of Page

Christi

United Kingdom
4379 Posts

Posted - Nov 22 2006 :  2:03:42 PM  Show Profile  Visit Christi's Homepage  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
Welcome to the forum Swami Vajra,

Nice photos by the way.

Christi

p.s. Happy Thanksgiving David

Edited by - Christi on Nov 22 2006 2:10:35 PM
Go to Top of Page

Christi

United Kingdom
4379 Posts

Posted - Nov 22 2006 :  2:22:33 PM  Show Profile  Visit Christi's Homepage  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
Hi Richard, and thanks for the reply.
Nice video- I'm not sure if Randi would give these guys a million dollars though. I have never seen this before. Yogic hopping would probably be a better term than yogic flying for this sort of thing. . I won't say it is not a valid practice though, as I havn't tried it.

Christi

Edited by - Christi on Nov 22 2006 5:18:18 PM
Go to Top of Page

Doc

USA
394 Posts

Posted - Nov 22 2006 :  10:50:12 PM  Show Profile  Visit Doc's Homepage  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
OK...OK...I admit it. I just don't get it. Perhaps I'm just an aging yogi who's been around the block too many times, and seen it all too often before to invest anymore energy or excitement into consideration of such things as 'levitation'.

What if each one of you who reads this post could know for a certainty that you'd wake up tomorrow morning with the ability to levitate And I mean really levitate! Not merely hop around with crossed legs on a cushioned surface, but actually rise vertically off the floor without any use of muscular efforts or forward body weight momentum. You know, straight up into the air with a motionless body! That IS ultimately what is being referred to here, is it not?

OK...so let's say that one of the Ascended Masters decides to grant your wish while you are sleeping, and when you arise in the morning...you continue to rise. SO WHAT Who cares other than you? What value is there in such an ability, other than the ego inflating gratification of knowing that you possess a rare skill or a magical power that others do not? Whoopteedo....Hoorah for you! One more landslide victory for ego attachment.

How would this yogic power enhance or diminish the quality of your life's work, your health, or your spiritual sadhana? Would any real good or benefit come from acquiring such a skill? Could there be any unforeseen problems attendant to demonstrating this power? And would those of you who are so entralled by the possibility of levitating, still desire such a skill if the only way you could have it for sure would be to give your sworn, solemn oath that you'd never reveal it to or demonstrate it to ANYONE What fun would that be, right?

For me? No thanks. If I thought I would enjoy becoming another roadside attraction, I'd run away to join the Carnival. Until then, I'd rather be able to maintain a pranic grounding cord connecting my 1st Chakra with the center of the earth from the driver's seat of my meditation blanket than to levitate any day. So...while some of you guys are imagining how to lift off and levitate upwards....this old yogi is seriously gettin' it down in front of the home shrine!

http://www.wilsonsalmanac.com/image..._wm_tell.jpg
Hari Om!

Doc

Edited by - Doc on Nov 23 2006 01:33:41 AM
Go to Top of Page

Balance

USA
967 Posts

Posted - Nov 22 2006 :  11:52:05 PM  Show Profile  Visit Balance's Homepage  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
Could be kind of exhilirating!
Would be handy for picking apples and getting things off of the top shelf!
Great for a window-washing business!
Go to Top of Page

Scott

USA
969 Posts

Posted - Nov 23 2006 :  02:46:32 AM  Show Profile  Visit Scott's Homepage  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
Doc,

Not to argue with your points, which are perfectly correct, but to play the Devil's advocate and show the other side to your points...

quote:
Who cares other than you?

A lot of people care. They want to see things which push the boundaries...they want to know the truth. The desire for levitation is, at least to me, obviously also a desire for ultimate understanding. No one wants the truth held from them. Telling a seeker that they should avoid levitation and seek enlightenment first is like telling a heroin addict not to shoot up. Everyone wants that understanding above all else, and no one knows how to correctly find it (mostly no one at least). It doesn't help when teachers say "avoid ego gratifying things like this amazing levitation trick!" Of course everyone is going to want to levitate then. Because it's an area which calls for exploration. It's a potential hiding spot for that truth which we seek.

In my opinion, if the ability to levitate is possible, yogis long ago should have been doing it and saying "what? It's no big deal!" Because if something is out in the open people get used to it. They're DEEPLY attracted to mystery. So if it truly is a pitfall, the intelligent thing to do would be to make it not so mysterious. Just tell it straight out - "Levitation is kind of a waste of time, but here's how to do it! And watch me do it now!" Yogis should go on tv and start floating....get tested by Randi and show that there's something to this yoga craze. Show serious seekers that it truly is just a waste of time (if it truly is).

quote:
What value is there in such an ability, other than the ego inflating gratification of knowing that you possess a rare skill or a magical power that others do not? Whoopteedo....Hoorah for you! One more landslide victory for ego attachment.

You are right that it really doesn't solve any problems. Perhaps if you couldn't reach the top shelf, it could help you out.

But really, right now, levitation would be very useful for showing the worth of yoga. Showing people that it's not just about new agey type people trying to stuff their true feelings inside of a fake personality (which a large number of people in America see it as). Showing that there's much more room for discovery in human biology. Showing that there's more to life than drugs, sex and....bad hip hop.

I think it could actually turn a lot of people onto the true yogic path, the path to enlightenment and not simply levitation...that is, if the levitation was shown to the fullest extent possible and not in just a couple of photographs, or in a video which could be fraudulent. Even if those photos of that Japanese yogi were real levitation, it's hard to tell. I don't personally believe they were real, just because you're not able to see enough of it. It could very well be an illusion rather than actual levitation.

quote:
How would this yogic power enhance or diminish the quality of your life's work, your health, or your spiritual sadhana? Would any real good or benefit come from acquiring such a skill?

If levitation were to be very rare, and you were one of the few in the world that could do it, then you could possibly make a lot of money from it...making your life's work decent. Unless you mean the good things we accomplish in our lives, as our life's work. Then I personally see levitation as neutral. It's neither good nor bad...it doesn't contribute to either, necessarily.

It could possibly dimish your health, since you're using your energies to hover, instead of conserving them. But you could make money from it, and be able to afford a better lifestyle.

It would probably derail a person's spiritual sadhana unless they weren't swayed by having a lot of public attention. I know that many yogis in the past have stopped sadhana because they thought they reached the end of it all. Perhaps some did reach a point where sadhana ends...but most of the time, it seems that quitting is just the ego games...thinking "I am so great now!"

Would any good come from levitation...I think a lot of good could come from it, at least in getting people to become aware of normally hidden things. I really don't believe it would be a bad thing for society if levitation were shown to be a true phenomenon. I think it would cause society to progress faster spiritually.

quote:
Could there be any unforeseen problems attendant to demonstrating this power?

There very well could be. Sometimes, when a person believes in something (such as the case I'm presenting here, for levitation), then such problems don't truly stand in the way of that person. Some people would risk their own health for other's health.

If I could levitate, I would definitely take the risk and show everyone I knew. I'd get tested by Randi...go on Good Morning America...write a book, and make DVDs...because I do believe that it's a good thing that people know of such things, if they are possible. I do believe it's worth risking personal well being for...if it is possible.

quote:
And would those of you who are so entralled by the possibility of levitating, still desire such a skill if the only way you could have it for sure would be to give your sworn, solemn oath that you'd never reveal it to or demonstrate it to ANYONE What fun would that be, right?

Haha, that's the clincher. Then the skill is basically worthless. I am sure that it would be very unimpressing to only show it to yourself, and no one else. The joy in thinking of being able to levitate is thinking of other's reactions to it.

That's the ego part of it.
Go to Top of Page

Wolfgang

Germany
470 Posts

Posted - Nov 23 2006 :  02:47:53 AM  Show Profile  Visit Wolfgang's Homepage  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply

Science without religion is lame, religion without science is blind.
Albert Einstein, "Science, Philosophy and Religion: a Symposium", 1941

The danger with religion is of course blind faith, saying, you just have
to believe it, you are not allowed to question etc.
The danger with science is to say, if I can't measure it, it doesn't exist.

Finding out the truth is noble and fine,
but if I have no love, my speech is no more than a noisy gong

Faith/believe, hope and love - are they scientific ?

something to ponder

L&L
Wolfgang
Go to Top of Page

Athma_Shakti

India
81 Posts

Posted - Nov 23 2006 :  07:29:50 AM  Show Profile  Visit Athma_Shakti's Homepage  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
Nice discussions going on in this thread.

Let me share my thoughts to this thread.

Are Siddhis real?
Yes definitely, its our ability and everyone is capable of doing that. nothing is impossible.

so why its not displayed in public?
I think this question is there in everyones mind including me.

in AYP Lessons its described that to have (spiritual experiences, siddhis, ecstatic conductivity etc etc whatever we can say) our nervous system should be fully purified. sometimes we can able to see some glimpse during our practice to make sure that we are progressing. but the vibration of our body and mind has to be ordered to experience the Divine within us.

without yoga practice there are methods to attain siddhis and have some experiences, but we will be damaging our own body and mind because our nervous system is not purified yet.

same like our body, earth itself is a kind of body and it has mind and spirit, and it has a level of vibration. and in the present era it cannot withstand if total human consciousness is totally shifted towards the subtle, disorders will manifests in the earth body.

ok now lets think on the other side

imagine that we manage to attain siddhis and also manage to show this to public in TV, newspapers, public gatherings and so on...

now all the humanity are aware of siddhis like telepathy, flying, psychokinesis, teleportation, materialisation and so on...

in this situation what is going to happen? and how the peoples will react?

this is going to be interesting...

first definitely everybodys reaction will be different, because the current state of development of human minds not ordered yet and it vibrates in various levels

so...

its going to attract first
younger generation, peoples with negative thoughts, peoples who wants to make easy money without working

consequences:

- thought force can be directed to others for healing purpose and prayers, also it can be directed to paralyse someone
- children will lose their concentration in regular studies
- religious conflicts and wars will begin
- natural calamities will occur because of unbalanced energies
- at one point there is a possiblity of total destruction of earth.

the opposite will happen if the total human mind is well developed and balanced with high vibrational level.

everyone will work in harmony with nature and with the Divine.

This is my opinion.

Thanx everyone
Kumar
Go to Top of Page

Christi

United Kingdom
4379 Posts

Posted - Nov 23 2006 :  07:50:22 AM  Show Profile  Visit Christi's Homepage  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
Hi everyone,

quote:
Doc wrote:
those of you who are so enthralled by the possibility of levitating

I brought up the subject of levitation in this thread, not because I am enthralled by the possibility of anyone levitating. I was trying to explain why I may forsake a million dollars by possibly not ( I haven't actually yet decided) going on the Randi show, and making a scientifically provable verification of the ability of humans to direct unseen energies using their mind in a public domain. I am still open to the idea, and I can see dollar signs flashing in front of my eyes. The money excites me, but the ability to move energy in someone else’s body in such a way that it is immediately obvious to them does not excite me. I have been doing it for a long time now, and it is part of my normal reality. In the same way, I am not particularly enthralled by the idea of levitation. I do not seek it as a power.
But as an actuality, it is all there in the available literature. How to do it, how it works scientifically (for those scientists that are studying the workings of energy in a multi-dimensional universe), and the dangers and pitfalls involved.
I brought up the subject of levitation simply to point out that there are people in the world that can do many more amazing things than I can, and they are not up there on the Randi show putting the world right on a few matters, and I think there are some very good reasons why they are not.
Don't forget that if we are to believe the New Testament, then one yogi has already demonstrated this ability, as well as an extraordinary number of others. He was crucified. Times have changed since then, but don't forget, it has only been two thousand years. Sure, we have mobile phones and stuff now. But we are still fundamentally afraid of the unknown, and separate from our true nature. In a sense, not much has really changed. I have never said that levitation is anything more than a distraction on the path.
You are right Doc, if I could levitate today, tomorrow I would wake up and still be separate from God. Nothing would have changed.

Scott, I am open to the possibility that you are right on this one, but the Dollar signs are getting bigger, and I can't say for sure that they are not trying to cloud my normally coherent rational thinking

David, please note that I also never said that the world was ready to receive this stuff. I simply said that I hoped that the scientific community was on the verge of accepting the theoretical understanding of the existence of other dimensions. That's a very different thing.

Christi

Edited by - Christi on Nov 23 2006 08:30:30 AM
Go to Top of Page

Scott

USA
969 Posts

Posted - Nov 23 2006 :  08:51:40 AM  Show Profile  Visit Scott's Homepage  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
Kumar,

Is it possible that wars wouldn't break out, that people wouldn't lose interest in their work, and that more people would heal instead of be hateful...if siddhis were revealed? I tend to think that most people would stick to their routine anyway, and just take it into consideration as a new part of their lives. "Oh yeah, people can float in the air with yoga...I will go back to my work now". That's how I see a lot of people reacting to it, at least where I am from in America. I really don't think anyone would care as much as we think they would. I am not sure if it would bring things more out of balance than they already are...but it's possible, and it seems many think that it is the case.

Christi,

quote:
Don't forget that if we are to believe the New Testament, then one yogi has already demonstrated this ability, as well as an extraordinary number of others. He was crucified. Times have changed since then, but don't forget, it has only been two thousand years. Sure, we have mobile phones and stuff now. But we are still fundamentally afraid of the unknown, and separate from our true nature.

If levitation, or lets say walking on water even, were shown to the public as a twist on Christianity, I can definitely see it getting out of hand. But if the performer wasn't attached to the outcome, and they did it just saying "This is what yoga can do" without putting any kind of religious twist on it, then I think it would go over very easy with people.

There are a lot of people I know who are threatened by yoga, in Christianity. They see someone meditating and it's percieved as evil...which is kind of funky, but that's just how things are right now. We are moving away from that sort of mentality, it seems...but for someone to come on TV and say "Look, I can do all the things JESUS did!!" People might take it as that person trying to one up the son of God! (Even though the son himself says we can do those things as well as greater things, and that we should become like him)

A majority of Christians have an obsession with "the anti Christ". If someone were to display powers, I'm sure at least a small portion of Christians from around the world would be claiming that person as the anti Christ. Small, meaning at least a few thousand. It could make the levitator's life stressful. Perhaps they would get death threats. The type to accuse one of being an anti-Christ sometimes seem capable of going overboard and doing something extreme like murdering someone who is "evil".

But I do believe that if the levitator was nonchalant about it, and if they had a calm and rational mindset, not imposing...people would digest that new information very easily. Like I said to Kumar, they'd probably react like "Oh, people can float in the air with yoga....cool...time to do my thing now."
Go to Top of Page

Balance

USA
967 Posts

Posted - Nov 23 2006 :  11:17:31 AM  Show Profile  Visit Balance's Homepage  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
When and if this body ever gets to levitating then it will be a spontaneous act of celebration and manifestation of liberation from physical bondage. If it is time to share with others then that will be the case. If in this still dense age on earth it would be a distraction from pointing others to the Source then it wouldn't be revealed. If it would help point others to the Divine then it would be employed when needed. It probably has always happened here and there but not in the midst of "busy-town".

My three cents, Alan
Go to Top of Page

Balance

USA
967 Posts

Posted - Nov 23 2006 :  3:19:32 PM  Show Profile  Visit Balance's Homepage  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
Here's my fourth cent
Flying does really seem to be an underlying desire. I very often have dreams wherein i'm flying. Usually the focus is on the beginning of flight. The other night it was from a shore and moving out over an expanse of blue water. I always say to myself something like, "Oh yes, of course, i know how to do this", and i feel my intent begin to rock my body a couple of times (from a sitting position) and up i go. I also briefly remind myself that I then know how to stay afloat and intent makes it so. It would be fun to actually (physically) fly!
Go to Top of Page

Christi

United Kingdom
4379 Posts

Posted - Nov 23 2006 :  10:22:08 PM  Show Profile  Visit Christi's Homepage  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
Hi Kumar,
Great post.
quote:
its going to attract first younger generation, peoples with negative thoughts, peoples who wants to make easy money without working

You are right. If I went on the Randi show, I would just be making easy money without working. Are you sure that is not a good idea?
quote:
same like our body, earth itself is a kind of body and it has mind and spirit, and it has a level of vibration. and in the present era it cannot withstand if total human consciousness is totally shifted towards the subtle, disorders will manifests in the earth body.

Do you really feel this? I thought that the earth was crying out for us to wake up, and doing everything she could to help us?
quote:
- thought force can be directed to others for healing purpose and prayers, also it can be directed to paralyse someone
- children will lose their concentration in regular studies
- religious conflicts and wars will begin
- natural calamities will occur because of unbalanced energies
- at one point there is a possiblity of total destruction of earth.

I thought all these things were happening already. Especially the children losing their concentration in school bit. Maybe it is different in India?
Great perspective.

Christi
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 5 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Previous Page | Next Page
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
AYP Public Forum © Contributing Authors (opinions and advice belong to the respective authors) Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.08 seconds. Snitz Forums 2000