New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Next Page
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 2

Athma_Shakti

India
81 Posts

Posted - Oct 15 2006 :  07:14:52 AM  Show Profile  Visit Athma_Shakti's Homepage  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Message
Dear Friends

Greetings to all !

when i do the mantra meditation, my body is turning and my head slanting, but iam sitting straight with my body and head in straight line, i also feel like floating without gravity.

anyone had these experience?

Richard

United Kingdom
857 Posts

Posted - Oct 15 2006 :  09:09:35 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
HI Kumar, I think most of us have had experiences like that at some time, not to worry the usual advice is to ignore them and just gently come back to the mantra if they persist and are too distracting cut down on your meditation time. I don't think you ever said if you are doing AYP practices or for how long, let us know exactly what you are doing and we will try to help
Go to Top of Page

Athma_Shakti

India
81 Posts

Posted - Oct 15 2006 :  09:23:32 AM  Show Profile  Visit Athma_Shakti's Homepage  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
iam doing mantra meditation 30 minutes twice a day.
Go to Top of Page

Richard

United Kingdom
857 Posts

Posted - Oct 15 2006 :  09:26:51 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
quote:
Originally posted by Athma_Shakti

iam doing mantra meditation 30 minutes twice a day.

What AYP the I-AM mantra
Go to Top of Page

Athma_Shakti

India
81 Posts

Posted - Oct 15 2006 :  09:28:35 AM  Show Profile  Visit Athma_Shakti's Homepage  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
yes the AYP IAM mantra
Go to Top of Page

Richard

United Kingdom
857 Posts

Posted - Oct 15 2006 :  09:44:33 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
In that case look Here and here

you may need to cut down on your med to say 10 or 15 Min's and try the spinal breathing Hope this helps.

Richard
Go to Top of Page

Athma_Shakti

India
81 Posts

Posted - Oct 15 2006 :  09:51:31 AM  Show Profile  Visit Athma_Shakti's Homepage  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
thanx for the reference Richard
Go to Top of Page

Shanti

USA
4854 Posts

Posted - Oct 15 2006 :  10:02:47 AM  Show Profile  Visit Shanti's Homepage  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
Hi Kumar,
What you are experiencing are just energy movements... which results in your body moving in certain ways during your practice.. Movements and automatic yoga
This is temporary and as the obstructions in your system start clearing out your movements will smooth out too.

The floating feeling is wonderful isn't it.. Well it is as Richard said, a part of the scenery.. enjoy it but don't get attached to it. You will feel many things as you move along.. thats what makes us feel like something is happening.. and keeps us going.

A half hour of meditation seems a bit too much. Here at AYP we generally do 20 min twice a day. Maybe cutting down on your meditation time will help you a bit. Are you doing spinal breathing? If not, maybe you could try it and see if it helps with the automatic movements..

In any case.. good things are happening.. self pace and enjoy...

Edited by - Shanti on Oct 15 2006 10:04:49 AM
Go to Top of Page

Athma_Shakti

India
81 Posts

Posted - Oct 19 2006 :  03:34:47 AM  Show Profile  Visit Athma_Shakti's Homepage  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
today i had an exciting experience

i started the mantra meditation in the morning, the body turning was reduced and it was very less. after sometime my body became very light and again feel like floating, and it was fantastic feeling, i didn't want to come out of that state. And after sometime, don't know how to describe exactly, feel like the weight of my entire body increased, and i feel like i expanded a little. i use to fold my two hands together during meditation, i unfolded my hands to scratch my ears, and folded back again, now i felt the huge weight increase in both of my hands.

whats happening?

also i clearly felt the effect of using I-AM mantra, when i don't use the mantra, thoughts come in for destractions. this mantra takes me to silence and floating effects, also i feel my whole body vibration is saying this mantra.

hi Shanthi thanx for your suggestions, yes the floating effect is fantastic

- Kumar
Go to Top of Page

Shanti

USA
4854 Posts

Posted - Oct 19 2006 :  09:15:44 AM  Show Profile  Visit Shanti's Homepage  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
Hi Kumar,
How long have you been following AYP... and what is your routine?

You can read this lesson Yoga Sutra translations, and on becoming “super-normal”
The samyama part may not be applicable to you yet - but Yogani talks about the feeling of expansion in this lesson.
Not sure of what your routine is.. althought, if you have been following AYP for awhile and are stable with meditation and spinal breathing you could try samyama....
(You may know all of this already... sorry for repeating..)..Enjoy the feelings that come up during meditation.. just don't get caught up in them.. It's very easy to start expecting them every time you sit for meditation.. Keep in mind.. your meditation and experiences during meditation will change over time.. its how you feel during your every day life is what is more important.

Wish you all the best...

Edited by - Shanti on Oct 19 2006 09:20:49 AM
Go to Top of Page

Scott

USA
969 Posts

Posted - Oct 19 2006 :  09:20:12 AM  Show Profile  Visit Scott's Homepage  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
When you're focusing on cool body feelings, you're not focusing on "I am." Cool body feelings are the same as distracting thoughts. The point of the mantra meditation is to continually bring the mantra back into focus in your mind...not necessarily to experience the effects of the mantra.

What I've noticed is that the mantra meditation is not about the time you're doing it, but about the rest of the day. The practice of bringing my mind back to the mantra has kind of programmed my mind to focus on one thing...so I will find myself throughout the day meditating on different things...like the sound of cars driving by, or the feeling of the wind going against my face...which is the practice of mindfulness...but it is unintentional.

My opinion is that this is the purpose of the mantra meditation. To make the mind one-pointed within activity.
Go to Top of Page

Richard

United Kingdom
857 Posts

Posted - Oct 19 2006 :  10:28:17 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
quote:
Originally posted by Scott

My opinion is that this is the purpose of the mantra meditation. To make the mind one-pointed within activity.

Hi Scott the purpose of our mantra meditation is the cultivation of eternal inner silence. One pointedness of mind can be a welcome side effect but it is not the prime purpose

Richard
Go to Top of Page

Scott

USA
969 Posts

Posted - Oct 19 2006 :  10:29:49 AM  Show Profile  Visit Scott's Homepage  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
You are right, Richard. I don't know that from personal experience yet, though, so I hold back from saying it.
Go to Top of Page

Athma_Shakti

India
81 Posts

Posted - Oct 22 2006 :  10:21:23 AM  Show Profile  Visit Athma_Shakti's Homepage  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
Hello friends

Diwali Greetings to all, sorry for late wishes, Iam in cairo now for a trip.

Hi shanthi, iam practicing AYP for 15 days,

also iam a student of "Kundalini Yoga" i got initiation from my Guru. I read the book "Autobiography of Yogi", i wanted to know about Kriya Yoga, i found this wonderful website through a friend. credits to Yogani.

i started from spinal breathing exercise, but i thought that my concentration is not enough to go for higher practices, and to be honest i was not regular in my "kundalini yoga" practices, i was having huge pressure on my brow and crown chakras, but i don't have any problems because of that, when the pressure is high i concentrate on muladhara for grounding, here i found many AY techniques that i didn't learned, so iam starting from the beginning the mantra meditation.

I missed 2 days of practice, because i was tired visiting many places here. And i had another experience, during mantra meditation, i heard the sound "hissssss" exactly on the back of my head, it was like a rythm, I-AM hisssss I-AM hissssss like that.

is that kundalini is going through the spine?

Go to Top of Page

Shanti

USA
4854 Posts

Posted - Oct 22 2006 :  12:39:17 PM  Show Profile  Visit Shanti's Homepage  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
Hi Kumar,
Well.. I guess its too early to add samyama..

You are doing well though..
The sound you hear.. I think is purification.. Look at this thread Tips on Managing Practices

Are you still doing Kundalini yoga? If yes, you may be overloading yourself... in the beginning .. we try not to mix practices..
See what Yogani says in lesson#208
Go to Top of Page

Scott

USA
969 Posts

Posted - Oct 22 2006 :  1:37:07 PM  Show Profile  Visit Scott's Homepage  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
Athma Shakti,

quote:
also iam a student of "Kundalini Yoga" i got initiation from my Guru.

What do you do for practice under your guru? I ask because I'm curious...I almost was initiated into a path called kundalini yoga, but you know it all differs. You can call yourself a yogi, yet practice completely different things as another person who is a yogi.

Here in the US, there are people who do asanas and kriyas which call themselves Kundalini Yogis, yet they actually have no idea what they're doing.

There is also the path that Dave (from this forum) is on which has a simliar name, and it's totally different from these Kundalini Yogis in the US...so what is your path?

quote:
i started from spinal breathing exercise, but i thought that my concentration is not enough to go for higher practices, and to be honest i was not regular in my "kundalini yoga" practices, i was having huge pressure on my brow and crown chakras, but i don't have any problems because of that, when the pressure is high i concentrate on muladhara for grounding, here i found many AY techniques that i didn't learned, so iam starting from the beginning the mantra meditation.

In my experience, concentrating on the muladhara for grounding isn't good. It just makes things worse, and unbalances your body. Instead, to ground, make sure you get some physical exercise, stay active throughout your day (don't go sit down for a long period of time), go out and converse with people, solve a puzzle or something, and make sure you're eating a normal amount of food...etc.

You are very wise to not add on more practices when you are experiencing pressures in the head.

This isn't really a practice, but throughout your day when you're breathing let it be from your abdomen and not your chest so much...relax the muscles of your torso and head completely. This has helped me quickly get over extreme kundalini symptoms.

And you know to take walks...that's recommended here to ground.

quote:
I missed 2 days of practice, because i was tired visiting many places here. And i had another experience, during mantra meditation, i heard the sound "hissssss" exactly on the back of my head, it was like a rythm, I-AM hisssss I-AM hissssss like that.

is that kundalini is going through the spine?

Yes, and the pressure felt in your head is also kundalini. It's "awakened". Not a huge deal.

Actually, to be more specific about things...the pressure and the hissing is purification from the awakened kundalini. Soon these symptoms will go away, when that area has been purified, and you'll feel very normal again. Or else you will experience purification in another area.

It wouldn't be bad for you to read through ALL of the lessons, while continuing to practice only meditation...that way you can get a sense of the entire scope of practice here...how meditation fits into the scheme of things. I know that has helped me personally.

Good luck.
Go to Top of Page

riptiz

United Kingdom
741 Posts

Posted - Oct 22 2006 :  2:15:17 PM  Show Profile  Visit riptiz's Homepage  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
Hi,
There is also the path that Dave (from this forum) is on which has a simliar name, and it's totally different from these Kundalini Yogis in the US...so what is your path?

Actually there is I believe a misrepresentation when one talks of Kundalini yoga by many.Teachers of Kundalini Yoga from the Yogi Bhajan lineage talk of working directly with the Kundalini which I believe is confusing.All yoga could be stated to work directly with the shakti as it's aim is purification of the nervous system as a route to enlightenment.Once one reaches a certain level of purification then the shakti will awaken on it's own, although not necessarily in a way which is without problems.The path of Kundalini Maha Yoga(of which I follow)is different basically because one does work directly with the shakti although not until one reaches higher levels.Also one receives shaktipat to awaken the shakti from a siddha guru.The normal meditation or other exercises do not work directly with the shakti, but the mantras are more effective than other mantras simply because they have the energy of the siddha guru imbued in them.This makes the effects very fast at such a level that it is difficult(nay impossible) to avoid cleansing symptoms, depending on what level of purity your body is at.Anyone who deliberately attempts to manipulate the shakti is looking for trouble.(ask Gopi Krishna)
L&L
Dave
Go to Top of Page

Athma_Shakti

India
81 Posts

Posted - Oct 26 2006 :  09:58:27 AM  Show Profile  Visit Athma_Shakti's Homepage  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
Scott:
quote:
What do you do for practice under your guru?

kundalini yoga consists of basic level, middle level and higher level. basic level we learn physical exercises, to make our body fit and healthy to prepare for the next level, twice a day with small meditation on some object or mantra to clear the mind.

next step is shaktipat. The guru will use his fingers to rise the kundalini from the muldhara tracing upto brow. student will continue meditate on brow for 2 weeks. after that guru will bring the kundalini from brow to crown. we continue meditate on crown for 5 days, then again the guru will bring the kundalini back to muladhara. this completes the middle level.

next level is the advance level, here the focus is on 7 chakras outside our body, and we learn to get out of our body, again the Guru will bring the kundalini from crown to just above the head about the length of our hand the 8th chakra, this level u will be out of ur body, hanging above ur head. upto this Guru's assistance is finished, next level that is 9th chakra the student will gain the ability to rise on his own. we call this sun, moon, solar system, stars, galaxy, total space and infinity. that means the student
will come out of the body goto sun and then moon, upto the infinity. this technique is wonderfull because u learn to out of the body and see for urself the entire creation.

here in AYP the experience is inside the body.

i feel that kundalini yoga, we are taking long path, here in AYP its like short cut, catching the root, and i like the technique of spinal breathing.

we also learn techniques like kaya kalpa, mulabandhana, surya namaskar, chakra meditation, bhastrika enegization exercises using candle. when the student has completed the higher level, he will be magnetised even in the middle level, and he will gain the ability to give shaktipath to any other person.

----------

about the grounding, may be there are many techniques.
we use to concentrate on muladhara, a huge ball of energy start forming, and i feel sitting

over a huge ball. i also feel energized.

Thanx Shanti, Scott, Dave for your suggestions.

- Kumar
Go to Top of Page

Christi

United Kingdom
4379 Posts

Posted - Oct 26 2006 :  4:20:47 PM  Show Profile  Visit Christi's Homepage  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
Hi Kumar,
and thanks for your great description of kundalini yoga. It does not sound like a long path at all! But then you did not say how long basic level takes? Have you completed any of the levels yourself?

Love and Light

Christi
Go to Top of Page

Athma_Shakti

India
81 Posts

Posted - Oct 27 2006 :  08:32:50 AM  Show Profile  Visit Athma_Shakti's Homepage  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
Hi Christi,
basic level contains some asanas and it doesnot have specific period, when we complete all the asanas and able to sit comfortably in either sukhasana or padmasana then we are ready for the next level, and this duration differs for different peoples, but for the peoples who cannot do asanas, they will be given alternate and easy exercises and most of the difficult asanas will be skipped for them.

there are some gurus very wise they know the capability of students and they have many siddhis and those gurus can guide the students perfectly, but these days we cannot expect such gurus living everywhere in a city, its the student has to take responsibility and goto the higher levels according to the concentration he has.

---

for me i have completed the basic and the middle levels.

- Kumar

Edited by - Athma_Shakti on Oct 27 2006 08:56:46 AM
Go to Top of Page

Christi

United Kingdom
4379 Posts

Posted - Oct 27 2006 :  2:20:47 PM  Show Profile  Visit Christi's Homepage  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
Thanks Kumar
It sounds like the next stage for you then, in your Kundalini yoga practice is to work your way up to the 14th chakra starting from the 8th chakra above the head. I would be very cautious about this given the things that you are experiencing (especially the pressure in the head thing).
quote:
Scott wrote:
Actually, to be more specific about things...the pressure and the hissing is purification from the awakened kundalini. Soon these symptoms will go away, when that area has been purified, and you'll feel very normal again. Or else you will experience purification in another area.

I agree with Scott that these things are symptoms of purification from an awakened kundalini, but I have experienced both the hissing at the back of the head, and pressure in my head for about 2 years now and it has not gone away. Purification can take time.
I think Scott is right that you would do well to read through all the lessons. You obviously already have a good understanding of Yoga so I imagine a lot of what is in the lessons will tie in with your experiences so far, and hopefully shed some light on a few things. I also find it very helpul reading ahead of where I am in terms of practices. I think (although I am a bit out of my depth here), that working with the seven higher chakras (8-14) when you still have purification going on in the lower chakras, and still have only a partially opened crown chakra, would cause alarm bells to ring in AYP circles. I think it would carry the same dangers (and therefore warnings) as doing practices at the crown chakra. See this thread: http://www.aypsite.org/forum/topic....OPIC_ID=1607 if you have not followed it already.
quote:
Kumar wrote
when i do the mantra meditation, my body is turning and my head slanting, but iam sitting straight with my body and head in straight line, i also feel like floating without gravity.

I have experienced all these things, and the 'heaviness' experiences and personally I wouldn't worry about them. If they are really bothering you, then cut back on your meditation times, but if not, I would say just count them as part of the scenery and carry on.

Love and Light

Christi

Edited by - Christi on Oct 27 2006 2:26:43 PM
Go to Top of Page

Athma_Shakti

India
81 Posts

Posted - Oct 29 2006 :  4:59:33 PM  Show Profile  Visit Athma_Shakti's Homepage  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
Hi Christi

yes i read the entire posts of your thread. it contains lots of wonderful information. i don't know about the risk things involved in crown, this is the first time i heard it here. and iam not an expert to give some message about the risk involved in crown. but i can say that yes there is a risk invovled for a person practicing without the guidance of guru or without grounding. our guru also advised us but not a warning about the crown, may be he don't wan't to threaten us LOL.
when the crown is awakened its very important to bring back to muladhara for grounding. also when we practice on crown our thoughts should not wander. our guru told us there is a person started kundalini yoga completed the basic and middle level, but he didn't take the grounding from the guru, and he went without completing the course. after few months he was thrown out of balance.

also our guru advice us when we practice on 8th chakra, not to lock ourself in a room, because when the meditation goes so deep, coming back will take time, actually its not a warning, very rare case it will happen, and there is no risk invovled, event it takes time, our body will pull us back, just for safety reason we have given this advice.

regarding reading all the lessons:
when i first saw this website i was very happy that AY techniques are available online in such an organised fashion like a guru is giving it to you. credits to Yogani. i consider him as a "special person".

iam curious to know about yoga, and many techniques. yes i read all the lessons including the Q&A in 2 nights, it contains wonderful information i have ever seen in the net.

well some times i become over enthusiastic that i practice for long hours and sometimes i don't practice at all, and that is very wrong, now these days iam streamlining my practices.

if you practice this AYP you don't need any guru, because the course is very well organised step by step and all the experience, and questions are also answered fantastic. another advantage is this forums, here there are many experienced peoples sharing their experiences and thats a good thing.

Thanx to Yogani

Go to Top of Page

Neesha

215 Posts

Posted - Oct 30 2006 :  7:59:03 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
quote:

my body is turning and my head slanting, but iam sitting straight with my body and head in straight line, i also feel like floating without gravity.

Yes this happens.....to me also while jaaping not meditating.....that's the spirit within.....as the others said don't make much of it..just continue...your devotion

it also happens when in the ashram and I am going to people.....when I go in this posture .....usually the right hand comes up to lovingly touch the person....I believe this is the spirit understanding the person and expressing love.....from the in that situation......from Yogani lessons........its just energy moving around

My Guru does the same excercises as you listed up above........yeah concentrating on the third eye and all......

So I know a little of your pathway.......

Unlike many I am not the least bit enthusiatic about floating....I just pray real hard for it to stop......I find it scary....this is just another stepping stone you've reached ............I guess so far

Good luck in your training!
Go to Top of Page

Kyman

530 Posts

Posted - Oct 31 2006 :  01:37:35 AM  Show Profile  Visit Kyman's Homepage  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
quote:

Dear Friends

Greetings to all !

I am really enjoying mantra. It's beautiful really to make these sounds. They may feel odd at first but they are the body, and these are its budding processes. It just makes you feel artistic, musical, natural.

There are a lot of body movements as energy passes through the nerves. They get interesting....
Go to Top of Page

Neesha

215 Posts

Posted - Nov 01 2006 :  9:09:27 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
quote:
outside our body, and we learn to get out of our body, again the Guru will bring the kundalini from crown to just above the head about the length of our hand the 8th chakra, this level u will be out of ur body, hanging above ur head. upto this Guru's assistance is finished, next level that is 9th chakra the student will gain the ability to rise on his own. we call this sun, moon, solar system, stars, galaxy, total space and infinity. that means the student
will come out of the body goto sun and then moon, upto the infinity. this technique is wonderfull because u learn to out of the body and see for urself the entire creation.

here in AYP the experience is inside the body.

Hey Athma,

Thanks for this info......I really needed this....I used to get scared you mak me feel closer to home and comfortable thanks

And also I thought it was kind of strange when our Guru was guiding us along that path...leaving your body episode and all

Thanks
Go to Top of Page

Athma_Shakti

India
81 Posts

Posted - Nov 17 2006 :  06:55:09 AM  Show Profile  Visit Athma_Shakti's Homepage  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
Hi Neesha

I didn't see your post.It seems that you are interested in this technique.Then you should learn grounding also.

you may feel an enormous amount of pressure on your head.

I don't know what type of yoga you practice, this is the advanced level in "Kundalini Yoga". anyway try this following method for grounding.

- shift your concentration to muladhara
or
- breath deeply and slowly and keep your concentration on muladhara for inhale and exhale.

There is nothing to be scared.

if your doing it yourself then do it with willingness, dedication and in proper manner within your limitations.

Good wishes
Kumar
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 2 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Next Page
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
AYP Public Forum © Contributing Authors (opinions and advice belong to the respective authors) Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.08 seconds. Snitz Forums 2000