Mantra Meditation
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Previous Page
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 2

Neesha

215 Posts

Posted - Nov 17 2006 :  9:36:37 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
[quote
you may feel an enormous amount of pressure on your head.

Geeee yeah

quote:
I don't know what type of yoga you practice
I am beginning to wonder myself.......... I do jaaping,some meditation (well I am trying to be regular)and hawan offerings to ma kali and LordKrishna......I automatically did prayanam when I was 11years until now I started off.........now I do mental meditation........its 1000 percent more effective and efficient .for me at least

Ihave to do these things especially when I get the smell from these deities......I have no idea most times what am I to do....for instance when lord Krishna is around I smell cow dung....I prefer victoria secret fragrance.......as for lord shiva.....the guy actually wear animal skin because I smell it (tiger skin) and yes he wears a snake also around the neck (that's kundalini I guess)

the floral frangrances and other fragrances I get I'm cool with that but most times I wonder why am I getting these odours......what am I to do?

I'm cool with lord shiva and all but while meditating I used to smell ashes.....

quote:
There is nothing to be scared.[/quote]

You have to be kidding I used to be brave now I am less of that...this will take some time for me to do that sort of stuff .I remember once I dreamt or seen myself in the sun (I spent months trying to figure that one out) .........I just didn't believe it..........but it was so real..

As for yoga......I depend on this bhakti stuff.....I concentrate more on saving people ..........I guess that's my inner desire
this is my yoga......

thanks for the guidance though.....I really appreciate it......

Go to Top of Page

Neesha

215 Posts

Posted - Nov 17 2006 :  9:42:26 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
With respect to mantra meditation

three mantras came to me

the first mantra was the gayatri mantra......I used to set the mantra to mentally repeat in my mind.......I hav been doing this since I was 11 I have no idea how I learnt it or where it came from

Another mantra came to me on Sunday last year

Twameva mataa
and
Om siddi buddi

that's all use in daily prayers

I didn't believe it at first but my guru brought it to my attention
I am just glad it came to me........
Go to Top of Page

Doc

USA
394 Posts

Posted - Nov 27 2006 :  9:05:21 PM  Show Profile  Visit Doc's Homepage  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
quote:
Originally posted by Athma_Shakti

...during mantra meditation, i heard the sound "hissssss" exactly on the back of my head, it was like a rythm, I-AM hisssss I-AM hissssss like that. is that kundalini is going through the spine?

Namaste to All!

This has been mentioned at least a couple of times on this thread. It has nothing to do, IMO, with 'purification', which seems to be the catch all answer among many folks for everything unfamiliar and not readily explained. I believe the 'sound' is in fact the Pranava Nadam, also referred to as Anahata Nadam, Omkara Nadam, and Brahman Nadam....i.e. a meditative manifestation of the Sacred Sound...OM! This is mostly commonly heard on the right side of the head, especially in the right ear, but may be heard on either side, or both sides simultaneously. Western Medicine calls this symptomatic condition Tinnitus...i.e. 'ringing in the ears'.

This is not something to treat as a symptom of disease at all, or as a sign that detoxification or purification is needed. Interestingly, health care treatments and healing modalities of virtually every variety, from pharmaceutical drugs to acupuncture and reiki, are usually unsuccessful in eliminating such sounds!

Instead, this Omkara Nadam should be viewed as a Divine Call to enter more deeply into the practice of Mantra Japa, especially through the mental recitation of the Sacred Sound...OM. It may also be intoned or vocalized audibly so the vibrations of the OM sound are felt to resonate throughout the body. In doing so both ways, the Sadhaka's whole being becomes saturated with the vibrational resonancy of the Sacred Syllable (OM) on every level...physically, mentally, emotionally, and spiritually.

The overall effect is one of profound energetic attunement, healing, balancing, centering, and harmonizing of all aspects in one's being with the Divine Word that is the Omnipotent Source from which All That Is has come to be. As such, OM represents the Pure Manifestation of Immortal Existence-Divine Consciousness-Eternal Bliss (Sat-Chit-Ananda)....the Ultimate Reality of God or Brahman.

So don't resist the 'call' of this sound, Omkara, which pulls your attention to it, and don't try to eliminate it as if it were an undesirable symptom, but instead dive deeply into the Great Ocean of Consciousness through this Sacred Sound...OM. It is a safe and sure short-cut to Divine Illumination and Self-Realization when embraced in this way.

Here's a link to a beautiful Lotus OM image, and a link to an excellent free e-book on this topic....The 'OM Yoga Book'. The e-book may take some time to download, depending on your internet service, but is well worth the effort:

http://www.tattoosymbol.com/articles/lotus-om.jpg

http://www.atmajyoti.org/pdfs/om_yoga_book.pdf

Hari OM!

Doc

Edited by - Doc on Nov 28 2006 12:35:13 AM
Go to Top of Page

Athma_Shakti

India
81 Posts

Posted - Nov 28 2006 :  01:14:54 AM  Show Profile  Visit Athma_Shakti's Homepage  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
Namaste Doc

a different viewpoint in your post.

Thanx for the link, i will look into that.

- Kumar
Go to Top of Page

snake

United Kingdom
276 Posts

Posted - Nov 28 2006 :  08:50:19 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
Namaste Doc,
thanks for the links.

In one part of the book the Swami says to use the breath and OM together,but then later on he says you shouldnt do it that way.

Have you read that also?
thanks

Chris
Go to Top of Page

riptiz

United Kingdom
741 Posts

Posted - Nov 28 2006 :  1:43:22 PM  Show Profile  Visit riptiz's Homepage  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
Hi Doc,
Yes I agree it's the sound of the Omkar.Sometimes it's heard as ringing or bells as well.My guru tells me the sound also signifies the opening of the heart chakra.In case you are interested the Divine Sound recording that my sadguru has made does the same things you speak of.It has been scientifically researched for the effects on the body.To hear a sample go to http://cdbaby.com/cd/omdasji
Guruji is in in the UK until tomorrow and I visited him twice in the last two weeks.Each time we listened to him sing the Divine Sound and it's even more awesome live than is the recording.
L&L
Dave
Go to Top of Page

Doc

USA
394 Posts

Posted - Nov 28 2006 :  2:29:02 PM  Show Profile  Visit Doc's Homepage  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
Namaste Everyone:

I think that what appears to be a contradiction in the 'OM Yoga Book' is due to the fact that many traditional Gurus initially teach beginners to incorporate simple breath synchronization with the mantra japa practice as a means of establishing a rhythmically repeating, cyclical cadence to the mantra recitation, whether repeated mentally only or repeatedly vocalized audibly. In this way, the deeper subconscious mind is programmed to harmonize with the vibrational resonancy of the mantra as an infinitely repeating formula of Divine Sound, which as such is inherently rhythmical in its repeated cadence.

As a result of this initial programming, the deeper mind automatically and spontaneously relates to and harmonizes with every mantram as a naturally rhythmical and cyclically repeating prayer formula. Once programmed in this way, which usually doesn't take very long, mantra japa is then practiced without any deliberate synchronization of the breath.

It is no longer needed from that point onward in the Sadhana because every mantra is spontaneously allowed to establish its own unique vibrational rhythm and cadence, and to automatically harmonize all aspects of personal being accordingly, including respiration rate and heart rate, with its infinitely repeating vibrational resonancy.

Hari OM!

Doc

Edited by - Doc on Nov 28 2006 2:38:10 PM
Go to Top of Page

Balance

USA
967 Posts

Posted - Nov 28 2006 :  2:48:23 PM  Show Profile  Visit Balance's Homepage  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
In the Kriya Yoga I practice our mantra is breath synchronized. We also learn to "hear/feel" the cosmic motor of the universe, OM, and merge with it. When OM becomes strong in our practice it takes the place of the mantra. It is taught that OM is the sound/vibration of cosmic prana and will lead us to awakening. I suppose "purification" is another way to say it. OM doesn't seem like something that we need fear becoming mythologized since it has no singular body and is essentially nameless.

Edited by - Balance on Nov 28 2006 2:49:57 PM
Go to Top of Page

yoginstar

Netherlands
78 Posts

Posted - Nov 28 2006 :  4:40:10 PM  Show Profile  Visit yoginstar's Homepage  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
Doc:

TINNITUS IS THE STARTING SOUND OF OMKAR? WOW! I have neither any experience with tinnitus myself nor with the omkar sounds (I didn't like that practice too much having done 15 years or so on the SRF/Kriya Yoga path (but listening to the Om sound is not Kriya proper though) , but with folks around me, I HAVE ALWAYS THOUGHT something like this! (I'm a medical astrologer as well as a "normal" one, so I was on the lookout for answers here, and now you are confirming it. I never was sure of it but always suspected that, given some circumstances in people's lives after which they developed tinnitus, wow what good news, thank you!
Go to Top of Page

david_obsidian

USA
2602 Posts

Posted - Nov 28 2006 :  5:04:57 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
Yoginstar: I wouldn't say tinnitus is the sound of 'om'. It's a medical condition of ringing ears, caused usually by ear damage (which can in some cases be just age-related degeneration).

Go to Top of Page

emc

2072 Posts

Posted - Nov 28 2006 :  5:08:25 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
???
Are there many kinds of tinnitus, then, or does the the OM prefer to enter the ear after high decibel rock concerts?
Go to Top of Page

david_obsidian

USA
2602 Posts

Posted - Nov 28 2006 :  5:19:06 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
It probably happens that when a Yogi hears 'om', that a doctor would misdiagnose it as tinnitus. I also believe that many people who simply have tinnitus are misdiagnosing themselves as hearing the sound of 'om'. As for a way of strictly distinguishing one from the other, I don't know. However, I believe tinnitus is usually unpleasant and feels undesirable.

Go to Top of Page

riptiz

United Kingdom
741 Posts

Posted - Nov 28 2006 :  5:34:23 PM  Show Profile  Visit riptiz's Homepage  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
Hi David,
Yes from friends I know who have tinnutis it's unpleasant and bothersome.The ringing of the Om is neither but is simply in the background.This usually increases for me when I have been meidtating and you can usually hear it clearer if you have your ears blocked, say if you are wearing ear protection in a noisy work atmosphere.
L&L
Dave
Go to Top of Page

Doc

USA
394 Posts

Posted - Nov 28 2006 :  6:49:45 PM  Show Profile  Visit Doc's Homepage  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
quote:
Originally posted by david_obsidian

It probably happens that when a Yogi hears 'om', that a doctor would misdiagnose it as tinnitus. I also believe that many people who simply have tinnitus are misdiagnosing themselves as hearing the sound of 'om'.

This is no doubt true on both counts, so let's not confuse these two seemingly similar, yet separate phenomenons.

Also please note, it has come to my attention that some of the general information I have posted on this and other topics here is different from what is taught in AYP, and not to be confused as representative of AYP teachings or practices. Where this is the case, I advise all AYP students to practice as you are taught to by Yogani without exception.

Hari OM!

Doc
Go to Top of Page

Balance

USA
967 Posts

Posted - Nov 28 2006 :  7:16:14 PM  Show Profile  Visit Balance's Homepage  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
I often write about methods in my Kriya Yoga practice which are different when compared to the system taught here at AYP. The Kriya Yoga I practice isn't even much like the SRF methods. I'm sorry if I have caused any confusion , especially to new-comers.

Edited by - Balance on Nov 28 2006 7:24:44 PM
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 2 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Previous Page
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
AYP Public Forum © Contributing Authors (opinions and advice belong to the respective authors) Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.08 seconds. Snitz Forums 2000