Satsang Cafe - General Discussions on AYP
 More times per week, or SB?
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

colours

Sweden
108 Posts

Posted - Nov 08 2017 :  1:28:02 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Message
Hello everyone,

I have a purely technical question that has been on my mind. I have found a comfortable routine that works for now, it is only 20 minutes of DM two times per week (less is sometimes more, you know) and I am happy to have found SOME stable routine at least.

Anyways, when it is time (and it is not now really), but when, do you think I should keep the twice per week sessions, and add SB (which is next on the list of practices to add, if following the lessons), or would it be a better idea to add a third meditation session per week until I reach twice per day, and then SB?? When I feel ready for it, and have had a stable routine for some time, and if things go well. Do you understand my question?
Don't know if I will ever meditate for two times per day though, that is Alot for me... :-/

I guess I will have to try, since I am self-pacing alot for the moment (that is why only two times per week), and see what works... Just wanted your opinion where to start later in the future.

Also, is it OK to add maybe asanas in front of your DM only...or is it a bad idea to skip practices like this and "cook your own soup" so to speak?
It feels like I would like to follow base instructions as far as I can, so I probably won't do this...Anyways, an interesting topic at least.

All the best!
//colours

Edited by - colours on Nov 08 2017 1:29:54 PM

BlueRaincoat

United Kingdom
1730 Posts

Posted - Nov 08 2017 :  2:46:26 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
Hi Colours

If I were in your shoes, I'd try to increase the frequency of the meditation sessions. There are several way in which that could be done:
- Reduce the length of the sittings to 10 minutes and try to meditate once a day
- If that is too much, I would replace mantra meditation with breath focused meditation.

Good luck!
Go to Top of Page

Christi

United Kingdom
4381 Posts

Posted - Nov 08 2017 :  2:49:05 PM  Show Profile  Visit Christi's Homepage  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
Hi Colours,

If you are currently practicing only twice a week because of energetic overload issues, then adding some light Spinal Breathing may actually help. In some cases, it can balance out the energies between the higher and lower chakras and make conditions more stable. It does not always help though, so some prudent testing first could be wise.

The same can go for adding asanas in front of meditation. Asanas can be grounding and giving some extra flexibility to the joints can help to smooth out energy flows. Again, you would want to test the waters first, before taking on anything too serious.

Once you are stable, then gradually increasing practices would be fine and it would really be up to you as to how to go about that. Adding things incrementally is the key, so that you can get an idea as to how that change effects your system before making another change and always being ready to take a step back if needed.

Christi
Go to Top of Page

colours

Sweden
108 Posts

Posted - Nov 10 2017 :  11:08:11 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
Hi Blue: I have tried this several times, I have tried once a day, twice a day, with breath, with passive awareness, and so on, and still get these negative effects of exhaustion, too much thoughts in-between practices, etc.
The only thing that DO work, and I get only positive effects out of this in stead of negative, is to reduce times per week. And I realized this when asking Yogani, that practice should never be a strain, especially DM. He in his answer magically took away the frustration, and anxiety about the feelings of not meditating as much as you "should" (twice per day)... And ever since I have had a for me healthy routine of twice per week. Just wanted to give you the background.
Though, when I am ready to increase practice, I would probably want to increase in smaller steps, like first three times per week, then four if things go well, etc. Just like Christi write.
But to reduce time per session when increasing times per week is a way as you write, but for me the problem isn't really in the twenty minute session, but the amount of sessions... If that makes sense. I don't know why, but this is what I have found in trying this and that for maybe three years or so.

Christi: I agree... I did try SB in front of DM a while back... Thinking now that asanas actually could work smoother for me than SB at the moment but I am not sure. Hm.

This will probably take some easy testing to find out for sure, as you write. But having a stable routine for a while first seems like a good idea I think.

//colours

Edited by - colours on Nov 10 2017 11:14:54 AM
Go to Top of Page

BlueRaincoat

United Kingdom
1730 Posts

Posted - Nov 10 2017 :  1:11:17 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
Hi Colours
Experimenting is good. You'll work it out.
Good luck
Go to Top of Page

colours

Sweden
108 Posts

Posted - Nov 10 2017 :  1:21:55 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
Yes, that is very true!
I think so too...
Thanks for the support...
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
AYP Public Forum © Contributing Authors (opinions and advice belong to the respective authors) Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.06 seconds. Snitz Forums 2000