Satsang Cafe - General Discussions on AYP
 Energy drains to help others?
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

anhtu

USA
1 Posts

Posted - Oct 24 2017 :  03:01:11 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Message
Dear all,

After the retreat, I've been riding the warm wavy energy in meditation. And the resistance I found from outside dissolved as the inner obstruction dissolved. But this afternoon I had a weird experience I never went through before. And I'd like to ask you to shed light on it.

I have a friend who's been chronically depressed, and at one point attempted suicide. He has been resisting my suggestion for him to meditate. But this afternoon he called to want to meditate with me; apparently suffering. When first seeing him, my third eye started to almost stick out of my head forward. During the meditation, I felt huge amount of energy went away from my heart chakra to his direction. And even though I was in silence, there's this strange feeling of being drained. After meditation, I tried insight dialogue with him. And felt some strange tension in my head.

The question is: does meditating with depressed or sick people drain our energy away? (Sorry, selfish question) What can we do if this kind of help is too much? Self pace on helping others, too?

Any input would be appreciated!

Charliedog

1625 Posts

Posted - Oct 24 2017 :  05:59:45 AM  Show Profile  Visit Charliedog's Homepage  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
Hi anhtu,

I do recognize your experiences. Personally what helped me is visualize a transparant shield around me to protect, and chanting a protection mantra before one to one practices with depressed and suffering people. After dialogue and practice together I am going out for a walk to let go the negative energy and I sometimes burn some sage to clean the energy around me and in my home.

It is important to realize yourself that you can be there for him, love him, support him, meditate with him, but you can not do the work for him. Especially if he is a close friend it is important to realize yourself this. Take care that his suffering doesn't become your suffering.That is helping nobody.

Do you practice AYP? Samyama could be a practice to explore.

PS Also this becomes easier as time passes and we have more opportunities to help others.
Go to Top of Page

sunyata

USA
1508 Posts

Posted - Oct 24 2017 :  1:58:21 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
Hi anhtu,

Good advice from Cd.

For right now, yes self pace, ground, listen to uplifting discourses, imagine a golden white light around you.

As we continue with our practices, we learn energy intelligence and these things stop affecting us much. In Stillness we can easily neutralize anything coming towards us with Love. With transparency comes empowerment to just "Be" and let Stillness work it's magic.

Agree with Charliedog that Samyama is the best practice.

Go to Top of Page

Dogboy

USA
2207 Posts

Posted - Oct 24 2017 :  8:37:28 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
Three votes for samyama.

The ladies are spot on. Passing sutras is an outward flow, and dropping them in silence is protecting in and of itself. As we purify, our belief in our attention/intention strengthens, our inner guru grows confident. Continue meditating with your friend if you wish, knowing you can protect yourself in this intimate endeavor.
Go to Top of Page

Chard

250 Posts

Posted - Nov 03 2017 :  11:22:01 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
Hi Anhtu! So glad u asked this question as this is topic I’m currently focusing on professionally.
As a therapist, I need to learn to protect my own energy...
These are some suggestions: use crystals (wear them and have some in your home- amethyst, rose quartz etc), sage yourself, take bath w Himalayan salt and essential oils, do gratitude list, have crystal bowls (gosh I sound “crunchy” but it’s all true!), music w positive lyrics also. Burn sweet grass after saging to bring in positive energy.
Thanks for sharing and welcome to the forum...where it’s totally ok to be crunchy!! Lol!
Blessings and love, C
Go to Top of Page

Blanche

USA
861 Posts

Posted - Nov 04 2017 :  06:50:06 AM  Show Profile  Visit Blanche's Homepage  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
Hi Anhtu,

It is wonderful that you are introducing your friend to meditation. Before you practice with him, you could also take a couple of moments to focus on an intention to let the energy move through you for your friend's benefit, if the Divine wants to do that. You could tell yourself: "May I be a channel for Divine energy to benefit my friend, if the Divine wants to do this." We are really only expressions of one thing. When we open, when we surrender, unlimited energy becomes available. It is really not any particular person's energy, but the energy of Pure Divinity. At the end of your practice with your friend, you may want again to rest a couple of moments, and offer a closing intention: "I am grateful for being Your tool. Let this channel be close for now. It has done its service." In this way you start to consciously manage the way you open to energy and the way you interact with other people.

Best wishes for you and your friend.
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
AYP Public Forum © Contributing Authors (opinions and advice belong to the respective authors) Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.06 seconds. Snitz Forums 2000