Satsang Cafe - General Discussions on AYP
 Spiritual forum addiction??
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

colours

Sweden
108 Posts

Posted - Oct 26 2017 :  5:32:04 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Message
I've been thinking about this topic for a few days. Recently (about two weeks ago) I ended a forum account on a Swedish forum which had alot of different topics, from computer to spirituality. I did mostly spend my time on the yoga and spirituality forums, and had been a member for almost ten years when I decided to have a break, or leave those forums.

The reason was that I saw these in my perspective unhealthy habits, I could almost see some addiction behavior from my side, to always go look at the forums for some topic to answer...as said...mostly spiritual topics.

I found it to be interesting, but at the same time it could be too much at times, almost like meditating too much, or reading too much of spiritual literature. Do you know what I mean?

Maybe this is a new problem these days, almost everybody looking into their phones and computers, looking at facebook, or twitter, or you name it, and for me it was/is forums.

So I ended my account, and thought that this AYP forum is enough for my forum needs...it is good to have somewhere to ask if you need help with practices or similar...but still, I feel these tendencies also with this forum, but not as much.

So I think...would I be better of completely without forums? Would my life be more stable, with more stable spiritual practices, and similar?
That is questions I have to answer my self. But for now, I am fine being part of this AYP community, just have to say, I am not REALLY a forum person at heart, even if there are nice people at this forum...!

Just needed to get this off my chest, he he, comments and thought are welcome.

(it could be said that spiritual forums are the ones which I have found to be a bit problematic in this way for me... not really, for example computer forums, photo forums, or car forums...)

//colours

Edited by - colours on Oct 26 2017 5:33:45 PM

yogani

USA
5195 Posts

Posted - Oct 26 2017 :  5:47:48 PM  Show Profile  Visit yogani's Homepage  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
Hi Colours:

You might find this lesson on the role of spiritual forums interesting: https://www.aypsite.org/396.html

...and also the one before it on writing as part of our spiritual path.

All the best!

The guru is in you.

PS: And the one before those on the role of Satsang (spiritual community)

Go to Top of Page

Bodhi Tree

2972 Posts

Posted - Oct 26 2017 :  8:52:24 PM  Show Profile  Visit Bodhi Tree's Homepage  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
This forum, and any other forum, for that matter, is only as worthy as its ability to facilitate real-life interactions (in person). The online world will never replace physical presence. Never.

And it's not about stripping identification. It's about becoming someone who is actualizing one's full potential, which is an embracing of the identity of the little self.

We don't need more "spiritual" people who are claiming that they've completely transcended their individuality. We need people who are using their personalities to enhance and enrich life in unique and innovative ways. That's how the Earth will become more of a utopia.

Everyone a god and goddess...divine signatures.
Go to Top of Page

Dogboy

USA
2202 Posts

Posted - Oct 26 2017 :  9:21:58 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
For me this forum is an interactive place I can spiritually learn, serve, and be. If it becomes too much, I self pace, just like practice. It is good you put attachments and doubts under the lens and self inquire, to test the boundries and adjust as needed.
Go to Top of Page

Charliedog

1625 Posts

Posted - Oct 27 2017 :  03:19:18 AM  Show Profile  Visit Charliedog's Homepage  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
Great question Colours!

I second Dogboy in his answer, this AYP forum is a great place for me to learn, serve and be. Writing became my teacher when I started the journey of self-inquire.

We can only see ourself in honesty, if it is too much we have to limit ourself, which is not always easy. But hé, you did it already when noticed the other forum became too much for you, we have to find the middle-path and we can if we are truthful to ourselves.

Writing can be a great aid on our spiritual path. When we put words on a page, we are seeing a version of our inner dialogue. We call it a "version," because, depending on the duration of our experience in writing, what we see may be a clear or distorted view of our inner-most vibrations. Writing is like a mirror of our inner life. The more developed the mirror, the clearer the view. Of course, if our inner life is in shambles, we will see that in our writing too, and there we may find opportunities to help ourselves work things out, much the way we might in an inner dialogue. The advantage of writing is that we can generally see it better than the constantly shifting multitude of our thoughts, feelings and sensations. Once we have written it down, there it is, staring us back in the face. Writing can greatly simplify things. Now what will we do with that?

This down to earth "in your face" characteristic of writing makes it good for problem solving at any level of perception, and especially for self-inquiry, no matter what style we may be drawn to. But writing is about more than problem solving. As our writing becomes more reflective of our inner nature through practice, and as we advance with internal purification and opening through daily spiritual practices, then writing can take us much deeper into perceiving our inner dialogue. It can become a reflection of the most subtle vibrations within us, a reflection of our most subtle stirrings in stillness. In this, there can be levels of perception and creativity that were not available to us before, a pipeline from that place in all of us us where great power and genius live. Through writing, we can become a channel for that. And who knows what good may come from it? It is the place in us that is eternal and knows no fear. It is the divine wellspring. Writing can put us directly in touch with That.
~Yogani~

Go to Top of Page

jusmail

India
491 Posts

Posted - Oct 27 2017 :  04:05:20 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
I third. Self pace when you want, or else use the forum as a satsang. For me, the forum is a Manipura, the city of gems. Which chakra is that I wonder :)
Go to Top of Page

sunyata

USA
1507 Posts

Posted - Oct 27 2017 :  09:27:08 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
Hi Colours,

I'm not on social media. I use Insight timer for meditation and that's about it. Like others, the forum is a place where I can receive, give and be. In posting here, I've learned so much about myself and continue to do do. This has boosted my progress on the path. Yes, self pace when needed. Other than that Enjoy. Joy doubles and triples when we share it.

Edited by - sunyata on Oct 27 2017 1:02:13 PM
Go to Top of Page

Chard

250 Posts

Posted - Oct 27 2017 :  7:22:25 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
Great topic and lovely responses...I can echo what was said and also say that I think different communities in our life serve different purposes. I’m so grateful for my reconnecting authentically w this forum because it fills in the gaps that other communities and people in my life do not fill. Granted, although it doesn’t have the fruits of real life face to face interaction w others, it does provide a place where I can have honest interactions re sensitive topics such as tantra, kundalini, kechari, spiritual yearnings etc that I cannot have in my everyday life -mostly because the majority of ppl don’t even have a grid for these concepts or experiences I feel. I don’t feel so alone when I’m connected with u all.
Also I like the anonymity that this forum provides which renders me such complete freedom of self-expression without fear of judgment.
Additionally, it’s an opportunity to serve as well. Whenever I come across an inspiring quote I think about how I want to share it with you all:)
So grateful to have this community in my life.
Colours, as for whether it becomes an addiction, I think it’s important to share about that w others and notice if it’s preoccupying you and negativity affecting your everyday life. As an addict myself I can identify.
Much love all, C
Go to Top of Page

colours

Sweden
108 Posts

Posted - Oct 28 2017 :  2:39:05 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
Hi Yogani (will have a look at the lessons which you link to!), and others...! Thanks for your responses.
I understand and agree to what you are saying, and I guess this is something I will have to self-pace as with the practices. I acctually find this forum easier to do so with, then other spiritual forums, as said. That is why I thought I might remain at this one, and not on the other Swedish forums...
As for addiction, I guess everything is relational, but I have had the feeling that I sometimes cannot help myself looking at forums, even though I "shouldn't" (and sometimes with negative symptoms after, like insomnia, or worry...) But I will have to learn to "control" this, set up some "mind rules" for myself...and self-pace this also.

Don't want to come and sound all negative, this acctually is a great community...!

I sometimes fantasize about living alone in some cabin, in the wild, he he... But that is only a fantasy, and probably will remain so. I need human company as well...

...When I was sick (schizofrenia), I got rid of almost all of my belongings in "spiritual thoughts" (including all internet accounts, this was around five years ago)...and have had to re-build everything when I got healthy and sane again, what I learned is that there have to be a balance...maybe not 10 forums, all the time, but one or two good ones to visit now and then for good reasons.
That is my reflection at least

//colours
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
AYP Public Forum © Contributing Authors (opinions and advice belong to the respective authors) Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.06 seconds. Snitz Forums 2000