AYPsite.org Forum
 Discussions on AYP Pranayama, Mudras and Bandhas
 Caution re: Lesson 288 - Yoni Spinal Breathing
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

Jim and His Karma

2111 Posts

Posted - Nov 08 2006 :  12:17:41 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Message
http://www.aypsite.org/288.html

I want to send out a warning on the latest lesson (if you haven't read it, my posting will make little sense, fwiw).

After reading the lesson, I spent about 15 secs in pranayama just BARELY touching the lower outside corners of my eyes. I applied almost no pressure...just very lightly touched the corners of my eyes. The result was a huge increase of energy...vastly more than I bargained for, and I worriedly await the delayed-reaction overdoing symptoms.

I didn't think this technique would do anything for me because I already do a very deep sambahvi mudra, with my eyeballs rolled up quite far. I didn't think fingers could make a diff. I was wrong.

Now, a few things to bear in mind:

1. I don't do any other yoni stuff (my practice is real stripped down). And Yogani specifically says that other yoni practices are a prerequisite. So my bad. Except....I did it for fifteen secs and didn't really press at ALL.

2. I tend to have strong reactions to practices. Lots of bhakti or a screw loose or something

3. I have tons of energy moving around. Not bragging...I'd actually like less.

So your mileage may vary from mine.

But I'd strongly recommend that if you add on this practice, you start with VERY short duration (a few secs) and just the lightest of touch. If your results aren't as extreme as mine, then go (gradually) ahead and do the full practice.

bewell

1275 Posts

Posted - Nov 09 2006 :  9:44:06 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
quote:
Originally posted by Jim and His Karma

I worriedly await the delayed-reaction overdoing symptoms.

Hi Jim,

You got my full attention with this post.

Like you, I had had an intense energy response to my first little try. I tried it again later with less pressure, just a light touch. For me, I think it did actually have a completely beneficial effect, balancing energy in my head and body.

Nevertheless, you have me curious, and a little concerned about what you call "delayed-reaction overdoing symptoms". If you have any such symptoms (or not) could you let us know?

Thanks,

B.

Go to Top of Page

Shanti

USA
4854 Posts

Posted - Nov 10 2006 :  12:38:30 PM  Show Profile  Visit Shanti's Homepage  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
During meditation.. my eyes seemed to get pulled into my head.. and something felt like it needed to exit.. it was extreme pressure but felt very pleasurable.. It was like almost like being on the verge of an orgasm.. but not getting there.. it went on forever.. but very frustrating... felt like if I could just hold on a little longer something significant will happen.. but it was so extreme..that I just could not hold on... and I had to get out of meditation ...

Yogani had suggested I try Yoni spinal breathing... he said that at times the "pressure" in the third eye area could be due to lack of energy coming up... and not the other way around.. where there is too much energy.. and if doing uddiyana and mulabandha reduced this pressure.. that that was my proof. So, what may seem like an excess in the head can actually be a shortage under certain circumstances. This was true in my case.

Doing the yoni spinal breathing has helped a lot with the orgasmic feeling in my head... it has also helped me see my spinal nerve.. for the first time I can see it.. but not focusing on it.. because it takes a lot of effort.. and I get restless trying to focus on it.. so I am still doing my spinal breathing like I always did.. But since I could see the spinal nerve.. I think I could also see the area that seems to have an obstruction.. strange.. its much lower than I had thought.. so now I do targeted bhastrika around that area. I too find Yoni spinal breathing balancing my energy between the head and body.

Edited by - Shanti on Nov 10 2006 12:43:51 PM
Go to Top of Page

Jim and His Karma

2111 Posts

Posted - Nov 12 2006 :  01:21:41 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
quote:
Originally posted by bewellLike you, I had had an intense energy response to my first little try. I tried it again later with less pressure, just a light touch. For me, I think it did actually have a completely beneficial effect, balancing energy in my head and body.

Nevertheless, you have me curious, and a little concerned about what you call "delayed-reaction overdoing symptoms". If you have any such symptoms (or not) could you let us know?

The "overdoing" constantly referenced in the AYP lessons (i.e. the indication that you need to self-pace) is manifested during time AFTER practice, as you pass through daily "regular" life. Light overdoing symptoms can be things like headache or irritabilty or anxiety. Heavier symptoms feeling like you have the flu (symptom of overmeditation), or serious pitta imbalances (symptom of overenergizing). And/or you can get radically out of step with your relationships and environment. We watch ourselves very carefully, because these signals tell us we need to scale back (maybe quit any new practices we've taken on, or else reduce the time of the practices we've been doing).

Yogani also frequently mentions that such effects can be time delayed. You can start a new practice, or overdo an old one, and feel fine for a day or two (or even longer) and suddenly, out of nowhere, have overdoing symptoms.

If you take things nice and mild, there's much less to worry about. If that's tough - if you have trouble taking a nice/mild approach (i.e. you're eager or compulsive), read the lessons. Yogani's tone has a wonderfully soothing quality. You can get more out of his tone in some ways than from what he's actually saying.

Also, the overdoing issue is all over the lessons. I'd strongly suggest reading (or rereading) them.
Go to Top of Page

Jim and His Karma

2111 Posts

Posted - Nov 12 2006 :  01:28:30 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
quote:
Originally posted by Shanti

During meditation.. my eyes seemed to get pulled into my head.. and something felt like it needed to exit.. it was extreme pressure but felt very pleasurable.. It was like almost like being on the verge of an orgasm..

All true. But that pleasure is a siren: we try (consciously or subconsciously) to hit that mark time after time. It's important not to let meditation be filled with activities and expectations (roll eyes, ahh, there's the bliss, now let go HERE and feel open THERE and do THIS and THAT). It's human nature to build up a checklist of things to aim for (or, at very least, to expect) and sort of man the controls and "manage" our meditation.

Like scraping barnacles off a ship's hull, I have to keep dropping all that built-up crud and return to just sitting down and saying "I am" a lot....and that's IT! Let the mantra do its work and stay out of it. Like brushing your teeth. The mantra's amazing. Let it clean you out (or, as they say in India, let God do your sadhana).

When you manage, aim, or expect result within your meditation, you are throwing more dirt on your windows. Just let the practice do you. Let the cosmic barber cut your hair.

Edited by - Jim and His Karma on Nov 12 2006 01:35:19 AM
Go to Top of Page

Jim and His Karma

2111 Posts

Posted - Nov 13 2006 :  01:47:22 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
Hey, bewell, just reread your posting, and see that you weren't asking what delayed reaction overdoing symptoms ARE...but WHETHER I got them. But, hey, hopefully my explanation will serve others coming through (far more people read along than post).

Overdoing symptoms from my 15 secs of very lightly touching the lower outer corners of my eyes during pranayama: yes, but mild. But I'm really glad I didn't go longer, and didn't actually press.

Edited by - Jim and His Karma on Nov 13 2006 01:48:21 AM
Go to Top of Page

Anthem

1608 Posts

Posted - Nov 14 2006 :  10:54:19 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
I too find this practice very powerful, maybe the most powerful of the lot for me so far. I hold the corner of my eyes for just one breathing cycle in and out and am noticing a fairly substantial increase in energy for the remainder of my sitting session.

Since it has been quite a long time since I have had excess in the energy department I agree with Jim's statements that it is very tempting to go looking for those good feelings but this is really a distraction from the meditation process.

A

Go to Top of Page

bewell

1275 Posts

Posted - Nov 14 2006 :  6:02:19 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
quote:
Originally posted by Jim and His Karma
[brOverdoing symptoms from my 15 secs of very lightly touching the lower outer corners of my eyes during pranayama: yes, but mild.

Hi Jim,

Thanks for the self-pacing update.

B.
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
AYP Public Forum © Contributing Authors (opinions and advice belong to the respective authors) Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.03 seconds. Snitz Forums 2000