Discussions on AYP Pranayama, Mudras and Bandhas
 Secret Spot Troubleshooting
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

ycloutier2000

Canada
78 Posts

Posted - Nov 01 2006 :  10:23:44 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Message
Hi guys, I am still not sure where the secret spot is located physically.

Those of you who have Yogani's "Asanas and Mudras" book, there is a pic in there that shows the nasopharynx area as seen from the inside looking out.

At the bottom there is the structure that is the hard palate I imagine from which the septum stems up from. Now, is the secret spot at the juncture where the septum and that lower structure meet, or on the septum itself?

Balance

USA
967 Posts

Posted - Nov 01 2006 :  11:03:55 AM  Show Profile  Visit Balance's Homepage  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
Hi

It's small (at least on me) and a little past mid-way up on the septum itself. Let your tongue glide up along the septum slowly and you should feel a little bump. Press on it, or play with it and you should feel nice sensations. I'm assuming everybody's anatomy is the same regarding this.

Alan

Edited by - Balance on Nov 01 2006 11:51:31 AM
Go to Top of Page

yogani

USA
5196 Posts

Posted - Nov 01 2006 :  12:04:53 PM  Show Profile  Visit yogani's Homepage  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
Hi All:

Yes, in kechari, the "secret spot" is the spiritually erogenous area along the back edge of the nasal septum, about halfway up, give or take. Everyone's anatomy is a little different. It is found once ecstatic conductivity becomes active, which is a function of all our daily practices over time. It may not be noticed much before then. We will know it when we feel it.

This is why entry into kechari is closely related to the rise of ecstatic conductivity. Before that, the benefit derived in kechari may be limited. It is sort of like having sex before or after puberty. Obviously, after is how nature intended it. It's the same with kechari and "spiritual puberty," which is the rise of ecstatic conductivity.

The guru is in you.
Go to Top of Page

Victor

USA
910 Posts

Posted - Nov 09 2006 :  05:57:47 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
On me the Secret Spot is at the top of the line of the nasal septum. it is a little bump or protrusion. I have recently noticed that when the spot is pressed with the tip of the tongue the breath naturally suspends. This seems like an improvement over sealing the throat during breath retention in Pranayama as I can feel energy streaming upward through the throat to the head whereas if my throat is sealed the energy feels mostly confined below the throat. Anyone else experience this? Try it if you can and please let me know. It feels much like sealing the nose in Yoni Mudra only without the fingers.
Go to Top of Page

Scott

USA
969 Posts

Posted - Nov 09 2006 :  07:41:18 AM  Show Profile  Visit Scott's Homepage  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
I just hit stage 3 without ever snipping! I'm ecstatic! I have a technique that I will post more on when I have time.

The conductivity is awakened for me, but I don't experience much from stage 2 anymore. I did at first. I mean, it's a powerful practice...but I don't have a noticeable bump and it's not that much different when I go into stage 2 from when I'm not in kechari at all. I've just been going into it after spinal breathing for 30 seconds twice a day...so I think the way I've been doing it, the effect is long lasting. I'm used to it. So my experience is a bit different.

When I first hit stage 2, it was errogenous at the point where the palate met the septum.
Go to Top of Page

david_obsidian

USA
2602 Posts

Posted - Nov 09 2006 :  09:53:09 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply

I've just been going into it after spinal breathing for 30 seconds twice a day...so I think the way I've been doing it, the effect is long lasting.

Scott, some of the effect of Kechari is instant, some of it requires more practice during the day for effects to come in. I'm in your situation, where a little kechari is not very much noticeable (except an improvement in concentration), but, when done for a few hours a day, the effect is quite good. You could consider moving to trying longer practice times with kechari. Have you tried that?
Go to Top of Page

Scott

USA
969 Posts

Posted - Nov 09 2006 :  10:16:57 AM  Show Profile  Visit Scott's Homepage  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
Thanks David,

You're absolutely right. I am working on walking on the razor's edge right now, stabilizing practices, so maybe in the future once I am absolutely sure things are under control. I just restarted practices after taking quite a long break about a month or so ago. I'm focusing most on the meditation aspect, since I've found it to truly be the core of all the rest of the practices.

A few hours a day is quite a bit! You do that every day?
Go to Top of Page

david_obsidian

USA
2602 Posts

Posted - Nov 09 2006 :  10:52:54 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
Yes. I'm in staqe 2 for a few hours a day now. I'm spending most of my working day in it.
Go to Top of Page

Kyman

530 Posts

Posted - Nov 09 2006 :  11:43:32 AM  Show Profile  Visit Kyman's Homepage  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
quote:
Originally posted by Scott

I just hit stage 3 without ever snipping! I'm ecstatic! I have a technique that I will post more on when I have time.

The conductivity is awakened for me, but I don't experience much from stage 2 anymore. I did at first. I mean, it's a powerful practice...but I don't have a noticeable bump and it's not that much different when I go into stage 2 from when I'm not in kechari at all. I've just been going into it after spinal breathing for 30 seconds twice a day...so I think the way I've been doing it, the effect is long lasting. I'm used to it. So my experience is a bit different.

When I first hit stage 2, it was errogenous at the point where the palate met the septum.

quote:
Originally posted by Scott

I haven't had to do any snipping either, which has been a comfort. I can barely deal with shots. hehe

Something I have found that helps is when you uproot the base of the tongue and push it up to the hard palate, bring your face downward, pointing directly in front of you or two the floor. It is almost like a latching onto of the tongue, with the head angling this way. Then, while the tongue is being pressed against the hard palate and septum, push the tongue even farther up.

Go to Top of Page

Scott

USA
969 Posts

Posted - Nov 09 2006 :  12:11:27 PM  Show Profile  Visit Scott's Homepage  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
I don't know what you mean, Kyman. I'm not getting the mental image of it. Care to explain again?

The technique I used: What I was doing previously was when my tongue went into the nasopharynx, it would take the uvula with it. I don't know if this happens for everyone. I couldn't figure out a way to keep the uvula down. It would pull a lot on the soft palate, stretching it quite a bit but at the same time holding me back.

So possibly, (this is to anyone) if you aren't flipping the uvula up when you go into the passageway, try it and see if it loosens the soft palate for you.

The other day (this past weekend) I was driving around and I was looking in the rear view mirror at my soft palate while I did different things, like breathing out or humming. (it was a four hour drive...I got a little bored!) I saw that the uvula came down more into the oropharynx when breathing out of the mouth...so I tried to bring the tongue above the soft palate while breathing out and humming, and the uvula stayed down easily.

So a few days after that, practicing it the new way each day, I noticed I could reach much further. I explored the opposite side of the nasal septum, and found the roof of that...then just this morning I reached the top of the septum and found that it connects to the roof of the opposite side. I certainly have more exploring to do...

Hopefully the uvula thing helps someone out.
Go to Top of Page

ycloutier2000

Canada
78 Posts

Posted - Nov 09 2006 :  9:20:31 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
Thanks for sharing your experiences. I have a question about stage 3. It seems that at any moment during the day(except sunrise, sunset, noon) only one nostril is dominant, meaning that it's fully open, while the other is partially or fully closed.

In the nostril that is blocked, I can feel some anatomical structure physically blocking that nostril, while the open nostril has no obstruction, allowing full access to the tongue.

Does this structure give way if pushed with the tongue? Is there any harm in doing that? I suppose that if eventually one can do alternate nostril breathing using the tongue, that somehow the tongue must be able to move this structure back in order to open the nostril?

BTW Scott, I know what you mean about tipping the head down facing the floor to allow deeper access. I find that when doing chin pump that 1) a lot of lubrication happens and 2) when pumping the chin to the chest, the tongue is thrust higher up into the naso. This without much effort or intention onmy part.
Go to Top of Page

Scott

USA
969 Posts

Posted - Nov 09 2006 :  10:06:53 PM  Show Profile  Visit Scott's Homepage  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
ycloutier,

quote:
It seems that at any moment during the day(except sunrise, sunset, noon) only one nostril is dominant, meaning that it's fully open, while the other is partially or fully closed.

Yes, I have noticed that as well. Here is a good thing to read about this phenomenon: http://www.rainbowbody.net/Hathayoga/Swarayog.htm

quote:
In the nostril that is blocked, I can feel some anatomical structure physically blocking that nostril, while the open nostril has no obstruction, allowing full access to the tongue.

I have felt this too, at stage 2. I think it's the inferior meatus (the bottom meati), but I'm not sure. http://webanatomy.net/histology/res..._lateral.jpg

I'd be interested in what others think this is.

quote:
Does this structure give way if pushed with the tongue?

If it's the meati, then probably not much because it's a bone (inferior conchae). The tissues surrounding it would have to give way for it to give way. But perhaps it's not the meati. I haven't tried to push on it.

quote:
Is there any harm in doing that?

I don't think so. The tongue, when in kechari, isn't as strong as usual so I'm sure you can't do too much damage. At least I don't think I can...maybe you could! In that case, take it easy .

quote:
I suppose that if eventually one can do alternate nostril breathing using the tongue, that somehow the tongue must be able to move this structure back in order to open the nostril?

I'm not sure about this but I think the inner nostril openings ("choana"...at the top of the septum) are where you alternate nostril breathe with the tongue. I'm not experienced enough to say. I haven't been able to do it at the bottom part of the septum.

Gotta start milking and snipping.

quote:
BTW Scott, I know what you mean about tipping the head down facing the floor to allow deeper access. I find that when doing chin pump that 1) a lot of lubrication happens and 2) when pumping the chin to the chest, the tongue is thrust higher up into the naso. This without much effort or intention onmy part.

I will have to try that out...that was Kyman's technique.
Go to Top of Page

Kyman

530 Posts

Posted - Nov 09 2006 :  11:13:24 PM  Show Profile  Visit Kyman's Homepage  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
Like has been said here before, I can going back to the lessons to reread the same material, because it isn't until after the energy has gone to a certain stage that I have actual experience in which to relate.

The tongue at first is stationary, and doesn't move much. But at some point after entering the passage the base of the tongue will start to push itself upward. The tip of the tongue initially starts off on the hard palate, but after the energy guides it up (the natural energy dynamic of the body determines the appropriate time) the base of the tongue comes to rest on the hard palate.

None of this stuff means anything without the energy doing the work. It may take a measure of effort to stick to daily practice, but the process of yoga should be fairly effortless (considering the extreme circumstances the body puts itself in). The most important thing is to stick to the daily practice because only that triggers the natural changes in biology.

You sould begin to notice the effect of aiming the head downward once the base of the tongue can rest on the hard palate.

I like to think of the nasal passage as a second roof to my mouth. A roof that I was never taught about, and probably kept from do to environmental conditioning. You can put the base or root of the tongue on your soft palate, and soon it also reaches the hard palate.
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
AYP Public Forum © Contributing Authors (opinions and advice belong to the respective authors) Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.08 seconds. Snitz Forums 2000