Other Systems and Alternate Approaches
 Japa Mantra for Samyama?
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

Theotokos

Germany
5 Posts

Posted - Jan 27 2016 :  2:24:11 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Message
Hi,

Yogani writes, that one can use a rosary and traditional prayers as Samyama Sutras. I wonder if this is also possible with the japa Mantra. Are there any experiences?
I somehow lost the interest in mere repetition but I still love my mantra, because I got it from my Amma.

AYPforum

351 Posts

Posted - Jan 27 2016 :  6:28:23 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
Moderator note: Topic moved for better placement
Go to Top of Page

So-Hi

USA
481 Posts

Posted - Jan 28 2016 :  08:22:10 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
Many traditions use a mala or rosary when the tradition calls for performing a set number of repetitions of a practice as this frees the mind from counting and also acts a bit like Samyama in a way as one progresses bead by bead one is taken from the inner world to the outer world briefly then back in again.

This is actually helpful because the mind is so used to moving about and something special happens during the transition between inner and outer world.

The problem with mind is that it is linked to the body. Like the body it can become over stimulated leading to desensitization.

So when we take that brief transition period the mala gives us it is a break from the frequencies of sandhana practice induced by the mantra which allows the neurotransmitter agencies to recoup and recover their vitality and this is the secret of the mala.

As Yogani teaches Japa or Mantra throughout the day is not as effective as Deep Meditation only during planned practice sessions.

When the tradition calls for performing a set number of repetitions of a practice it is for a practical reason it is to put the brakes on and prevent overloading which can be defined as either desensitization or over-sensitization of the nervous system.

This is a state that takes time to recover from and is often an unpleasant time to live through.

In many traditions the idea is to perform Japa all the time to align the mind with a specific frequency and that is in my experience a complete waste of time as the mind by its very nature is dynamic and once you stop for a while it will become however it will by the next thing that ruffles the waves.

Still there are other sellers of books that will tell you to pounce on every thought that comes to mind and pay attention to stories and so on and so forth which will probably turn the story watcher into a mentally ill person if they follow such stupid advice.

There are far better ways to achieve abiding inner silence and this site is the gateway to those ways.

The AYP Plus site is the school one goes to and learns these ways.

Hope this helps in some way.

quote:
Originally posted by Theotokos

Hi,

Yogani writes, that one can use a rosary and traditional prayers as Samyama Sutras. I wonder if this is also possible with the japa Mantra. Are there any experiences?
I somehow lost the interest in mere repetition but I still love my mantra, because I got it from my Amma.

Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
AYP Public Forum © Contributing Authors (opinions and advice belong to the respective authors) Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.08 seconds. Snitz Forums 2000