Satsang Cafe - General Discussions on AYP
 Recommended meditation for the dying
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

psysaucer

India
44 Posts

Posted - Jul 15 2015 :  08:36:43 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Message
There's a buddy of mine who's suffering from acute renal failure. A minimal amount of medication seems to be sufficient for him to mitigate physical pain, but he's lately been feeling pretty anxious and mentally disorientated. He hasn't got long to live either. Maybe a month at best doctor says.

Because he knows that I've been meditating for some years now, he asked me for something he could practice. I wasn't entirely sure what to suggest, ended up telling him to mentally chant 'aum namah shivaya' and keep reflecting upon it. I still don't know if it might be the right thing for someone with no previous spiritual inclinations or meditation experience to do close before meeting death, given the insane unpredictability of the panchakshara mantra everyone seems to be so certain about...

Can anyone suggest something that might be gentle yet potent enough for the dying to practice?

Edited by - psysaucer on Jul 15 2015 10:21:52 AM

So-Hi

USA
481 Posts

Posted - Jul 15 2015 :  10:58:19 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
This is a very difficult thing to ask and even more difficult to consider because Meditation is really something that has to be worked on while alive not something to be picked up on at the end because we have to grow into it over time.

At the time of death it is said there is great fear, so if there were one thing your friend could practice it would be doing his best to understand the reality of life, it is impermanent but the true being is not this body life.

I would recommend he practice deep meditation using the IAM Mantra and in this way perhaps he will gain a glimpse of his true nature which is stillness and not suffer so much in fear when he is forcefully facing this reality.

It is really all going to depend greatly on how aware he already is which none may truly judge.

Edited by - So-Hi on Jul 15 2015 11:24:22 AM
Go to Top of Page

Charliedog

1625 Posts

Posted - Jul 15 2015 :  11:38:45 AM  Show Profile  Visit Charliedog's Homepage  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
If you told him Aum namah Shivaya, that will be fine. That is a strong mantra, and if he trusts you it will work for him..

Love, radiance, strength,

Go to Top of Page

BlueRaincoat

United Kingdom
1730 Posts

Posted - Jul 15 2015 :  12:19:57 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
Hi psysaucer
I've heard stories of people getting off dialysis by drinking clay water. I have no scientific evidence, other than to prove clay is safe for human consumption (it used to be used for digestive problems before drugs like Imodium came along). It was still found in the UK at chemists' some years back). One spoonful of clay in a glass of water, soaked for at least 4 hours, 3 times a day before meals. Wait at lest 1/2 hour before eating. Before drinking it, stir the liquid and only drink the particles that stay suspended in the water. The rough/heavy bits at the bottom at the glass are thrown away. No side effects, no counter-indications. Can't promise it will work, but I'd say it's definitely worth a try.
Go to Top of Page

Beehive

USA
117 Posts

Posted - Jul 15 2015 :  1:11:10 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
I wouldn't claim any breadth of knowledge on this as I'm new here but when I went through a time of extreme anxiousness and feeling mentally disoriented I came upon a very simple meditation where you breath in with I AM and imagine all the breath filling your abdominal cavity breathe out I AM through the heart and imagine your heart opening like a flower. It gave me an enormous amount of peace and a feeling of heart centeredness.

Though meditation is a long term practice that grows and grows I also believe there is meditative help NOW for those of us who need it. Maybe it is just what Chariledog was saying... because of his trust in you, psysaucer, that the mediation will comfort and elevate him. Maybe it is your friend's desire for meditation that will enhance it, but somehow there will be relief for him. And maybe it will be the drinking of the clay water. I just know that when I have asked for relief it came.
Love and blessings to you and your friend.
Go to Top of Page

Apkallu

France
108 Posts

Posted - Jul 16 2015 :  10:55:06 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
Does your friend experience skin disorders ?
Go to Top of Page

SeySorciere

Seychelles
1537 Posts

Posted - Jul 17 2015 :  03:25:24 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
Dear Psysaucer,

Tough one. Your dying friend needs to surrender. It's kind of too late for practices, I doubt he will have the concentration to focus but surrender can cause enormous openings in one go. Surrender to what is something you can explore together.

Wishing divine guidance in finding the right words, the right support for your friend

Sey

P.S. Dear Yogani - I think your input would be invaluable here. We all come to some junction when we have to support someone in the dying process. How can we best help?

Edited by - SeySorciere on Jul 17 2015 03:27:49 AM
Go to Top of Page

yogani

USA
5196 Posts

Posted - Jul 17 2015 :  11:41:15 AM  Show Profile  Visit yogani's Homepage  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
Hi Psysaucer:

Sorry to hear about your friend's difficult situation. I am not aware of any spiritual practice that will make a big difference in such a short time he may have left. But if there is one, it would be deep meditation, if he is comfortable enough to practice it as instructed in the AYP writings. Even a little cultivation of abiding inner silence can have a far reaching effect. But not to make a big thing out of it with your friend, for reasons discussed below.

Beyond that, I would suggest assistance from Hospice (or similar service), if they are not involved already, which is specialized in end of life care, including spiritual aspects on the counseling end of it. This lesson on "Yogic Dying," while not covering his situation specifically, points to additional resources: http://www.aypsite.org/286.html

Written resources on death and dying can be found on the AYP booklist here: http://www.aypsite.org/booklist14.html
Some of the authors there are mentioned in the above lesson.

All of that may be a moot point if he is days or weeks from passing. In any case, the best you can do for him, and yourself, is to be with him in an open and non-analytical way, just letting go into the moment.

Death speaks to all of us in its own way, and all we have to do is let go into the experience. If we have been around someone dying, this is what happens by default for the one passing. There may be upset emotions going into it, and for good reasons, but in time it gives way to a kind of absorption. The attention is dissolved from earthly things and moves to something beyond, sometimes with a sense of recognition, a going home. There are many documented explanations of this process, but going through it is really about only one thing. Letting go and letting God. Surrender.

Assuring the one who is passing that it is going to be all right is something that can help. Of course, the assuring has to come from a place of deep believing, or knowing. Being there for them in a spirit of acceptance of what is happening -- no expectations, and that it is okay to move on from this life. A dying person may benefit from such assurances, especially from loved ones who may have have a tendency to hang on to them. Letting go is the most tender and heartfelt expression of love. The heart may break, but the divine continues on through our tears.

Words usually carry little import at end of life. Everything is happening on a much deeper level, where letting go is the essence of it, both before and after death.

Prayers for your friend and for all who are involved.

The guru is in you.

Go to Top of Page

Holy

796 Posts

Posted - Jul 20 2015 :  1:53:40 PM  Show Profile  Visit Holy's Homepage  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
Hi Psysaucer,

it is said, that the last state of being before death will determine the continuation of the journey. In other words, if he can bring himself to a state of joy and bliss, it would be better to die like that than in a depressed and unhappy way. Additionally it is also said, that the last thought will determine where he will go to. In many cultures they have special praparations for this aswell, including rituals and practices to make the person go out of e.g. a higher chakra or to dissolve his earthly bonds.

Peace and love to your friend!
Go to Top of Page

psysaucer

India
44 Posts

Posted - Jul 21 2015 :  07:47:46 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
Thanks everyone for the replies!

I showed this thread to my friend and believe it or not yogani, he has decided to try and practice deep meditation as frequently as he could

thanks again
Go to Top of Page

yogani

USA
5196 Posts

Posted - Jul 21 2015 :  08:14:51 AM  Show Profile  Visit yogani's Homepage  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
Go to Top of Page

Lux

Brazil
6 Posts

Posted - Jul 21 2015 :  2:24:09 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
Psysaucer, I am new to this forum and never tried or practice the following meditation, but I will talk about it nevertheless.

It is said to be a simple process. As I havent tried nor known anyone who have, I cant really say.

The technique is called "Pho-wa", or transferring of consciousness.

Basically, what you do is transfer your ou the persons consciousness to a Higher Realm/Plane of existence through a "simple" method of meditation.
You "launch" your or his consciousness that apparently is inside the anahata chakra and it is the size of a drop through a tube (sushumna ?) through a deep inhalation, and picture a A deity he likes throwing a hook from above his Sahasrara which will them hook his consciousness and take it with him to a Highere Plane.
It is said that when the person successfully transfers his consciousness at the time of dying, this red "drop" appears at the persons skull top and afterwards, when they verify the skull it shows a hole on that very same spot.
I have seen photos on google and you can easily research and teach him the technique, or, try by yourself, not the whole procedure though.
You can also do the transfer of consciousness yourself for him, if you manage to do so, or find tibbetan buddhist monks that can do it for you/him.
If not, them I would say just tell him to focus daily on a form of God he feels more compelled to..Maybe Rama ? So he can merge with him at the time of dying.
Hope it was useful.
Go to Top of Page

sn19

USA
15 Posts

Posted - Jul 23 2015 :  10:37:06 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
Perhaps he can try this technique http://www.aypsite.org/forum/topic....PIC_ID=14974 .
It is one of the very, very few techniques that can be practiced in the supine position, with minimal strain on the arms and elbows. A more advanced practitioner may feel strong buildup of prana in the heart chakra or pulsing chakras, or even spontaneous huge facial grins and contortions (which is a natural way to effectively relieve the pressures in the head) but even a beginner can benefit.
Go to Top of Page

Purohit

India
43 Posts

Posted - Jul 24 2015 :  04:36:06 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
Dear Psysaucer,

Since i see you are from India, i can share some personal experience, and words of advice i had received when my grandmother was in her last days.
There is an old custom to arrange for readings of Bhagvad Gita/Bhagwat by BRahmins or Priests for ailing and suffering persons. Also many times Brahmins are hired to chant the Mahamrityunjay mantra for the dying and or sufferin person.

IN my case i used to read the Bhagvad Gita, One or two chapters sitting besides her. I dont know sanskrit, i used to read the translation in hindi. Her suffering seemed to be lessesned by the reading, She could not hear me properly because of hearing impairment, but there was always a lessening of complications following such sessions.

Later on , one of my relatives told me that a small copy of the Gita can be placed below the pillow of a suffering person for great benefit.

My guru advices us to chant the Hanuman Chalisa and or Mahamrityunjay Mantra to a dying person for a smoother journey.

If possible one can play the Mahamrityunjay mantra continuously at low volume in the same room if logistically convenient.
I can share a recording of the MM Beej Mantra which we use for our sadhana and we have been allowed to share in case of any needy situation.

Also there is a practise of donating/charity for the one passin away, all directed at the same purpose for a smoother absorption in the Light.
Just Food for thought..
God Bless
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
AYP Public Forum © Contributing Authors (opinions and advice belong to the respective authors) Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.05 seconds. Snitz Forums 2000